Thread: Mike Tirico, veteran ESPN sportscaster, leaving for NBC

Default Mike Tirico, veteran ESPN sportscaster, leaving for NBC

http://money.cnn.com/2016/04/25/medi...ney_topstories

Mike Tirico, veteran ESPN sportscaster, leaving for NBC

Mike Tirico, a veteran ESPN sportscaster, is leaving the network for NBC after 25 years.
    One of the ESPN's long-serving sportcasters is leaving.
    Mike Tirico, the current play-by-play announcer of "Monday Night Football," is headed to NBC, an industry source confirmed to CNNMoney on Monday.
    Tirico, who has been on ESPN's flagship NFL broadcast since 2006, will leave after his contract ends this summer. The move was first reported by Sports Business Daily.
    Tirico was a linchpin for ESPN. He covered multiple sports including NBA games, college basketball and golf coverage.
    He has also been a staple at the network since 1991.

ESPN announcer Sean McDonough is the front runner to replace Tirico on "Monday Night Football," according to the source. McDonough signed a contract extension with the network earlier this year.
    Jon Gruden is currently the other commentator on the Monday night football broadcast.
    John Ourand of Sports Business Daily reports that Tirico is expected to be the lead play-by-play announcer on NBC's "Thursday Night Football."
    NBC, along with CBS, made a $450 million two-year deal with the NFL in February to air a portion of the Thursday night package of games.
    ESPN and NBC declined to comment.
    Tirico is the latest big name to leave ESPN. Established network personalities like Bill Simmons, Keith Olbermann, and ESPN Radio host Colin Cowherd have all left the network in the past year.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Mike Tirico, veteran ESPN sportscaster, leaving for NBC

EsPN has been hemorrhaging talent these past few years and recently laid off a bunch of people. Bad times in Bristol.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to hoosierguy For This Useful Post:

NBC is starting to make some waves, including their radio network. It would not surprise me if Tirico wound up with his own radio show.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    NBC is starting to make some waves, including their radio network. It would not surprise me if Tirico wound up with his own radio show.
    I think it depends on how much work he is doing for NBC. I loved him and SVP on ESPN radio, but then Tirico just was too busy to keep doing it.

This was probably the best hire by NBC. Tirico is just the ultimate pro. He can broadcast anything and do it better than anyone. He's gonna be doing NBC's Thursday Night games, I'd be surprised if he wasn't doing the Olympics (eventually replacing Costas), he's gonna replace Al Michaels on SNF, tons of golf coverage too.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post: