Thread: Eric Gordon, Evan Fournier, Kent Bazemore

Lightbulb Eric Gordon, Evan Fournier, Kent Bazemore

So in free agency this Summer. These three will be free agents. Since we need to upgrade the shooting guard position to someone more athletic, better shooting wise, and overall younger. Which of these three would you be most interested in signing this off-season? Below is a list of the pros and cons of all three.

Evan Fournier

Pros: Very young so would be part of our future core (Myles, Christmas, Joe, GRIII). Evan is only 23 years old. A silky smooth shooter and spaces the floor nicely because of his long range prowess.

Cons:Evan started his career with a rash of injuries but seems healthier now. However based on his past history he can be considered a minimal risk somewhat in terms of health. He is not the greatest defender in terms of foot speed and physicality. Which is why he's better suited at the 3 instead of the 2. But Paul already plays the 3. He's a RFA, which means that if we make an offer assets will be frozen until Orlando gets a chance to match. This means we can't make other moves while that pot is on the stove.

Eric Gordon

Pros:Between the years people have watched him play and the injuries it may seem like he's really old. But Eric is only 27. So he'd be a good fit here. He shoots a very high percentage from "3" and will definitely be a great floor spacer for us. He is also a legit shooting guard physically and defends quite well.

Cons:The injury history is very lengthy and at this point most of his athleticism and attack mindset have been stolen because of it. He can still attack the rim and play inside but not as great as he used to. Plus I imagine due to his injury history he avoids it mostly nowadays. This past season he broke the same finger twice but he will be a free agent this Summer and his shooting ability would come in handy. Although as a starter we might need someone less injury prone and healthier to play big minutes.

Kent Bazemore

Pros:Bazemore is only 26 so he fits our team age wise. Not even close to being old or aging yet. He's a shooting guard who can also play a little 3 as well. He started his career as an unknown on a few western conference teams but he's known now for being a good bench piece for the Hawks. He's athletic, can shoot, and can run the floor with ease to finish at the rim. He would make a good shooting guard mostly because his shooting has gotten better as he's gotten a bigger role and more experience. He defends well when focused also and can stay with most people due to his length, quickness, and good movement. He's also a free agent his Summer.

Cons:As always with players like this who rise from nowhere to possibly cash in on free agency, the risk is once they get paid they start to trend downward. Bazemore 4 seasons ago was riding the bench. Now he's a solid contributor on a playoff team. If he cashes in this Summer there's a chance he could lose focus get too cocky, or slack off entirely. That's a small risk though and I doubt it would happen but it has happened with many players before. Another small risk is at the 2 he's 6'5. Which means he'd give up 1 to 2 inches to most SG's.

Default Re: Eric Gordon, Evan Fournier, Kent Bazemore

I'll take Fournier out of the three. Gordon sucks and Bazemore isn't much better

Sent from my Nexus 5X

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Fournier is not only RFA, but RFA coming off a rookie contract...

Thus Orlando can

1) match any offer
    2) give him better contract terms (including one extra year) compared to anyone else

and they have huge amount of salary cap room to boot. There is a reason why no one even bothers of siging an offer sheet with this kind of a player who ain't even malcontent with his current situation.

Would I like him - why not... But it ain't gonna happen - end of story. Better look elsewhere with a dash of realism.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PetPaima For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PetPaima View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fournier is not only RFA, but RFA coming off a rookie contract...

Thus Orlando can

1) match any offer
    2) give him better contract terms (including one extra year) compared to anyone else

and they have huge amount of salary cap room to boot. There is a reason why no one even bothers of siging an offer sheet with this kind of a player who ain't even malcontent with his current situation.

Would I like him - why not... But it ain't gonna happen - end of story. Better look elsewhere with a dash of realism.

I think Orlando could keep him but with Oladipo and Hezonja also on the roster I wonder......

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    I think Orlando could keep him but with Oladipo and Hezonja also on the roster I wonder......
    Keeping him is another thing... But they have not a single reason to let him go via free agency & without compensation. A talented player at age of 23 - obviously you extend him now! If there is a logjam you THEN (as Orlando) start to look for a trade...

Have you checked their salary situation - they have no one else important to re-sign this summer and they have some 45 million dollars under the salary cap. It's a no-brainer.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PetPaima For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PetPaima View Post
    Keeping him is another thing... But they have not a single reason to let him go via free agency & without compensation. A talented player at age of 23 - obviously you extend him now! If there is a logjam you THEN (as Orlando) start to look for a trade...

Have you checked their salary situation - they have no one else important to re-sign this summer and they have some 45 million dollars under the salary cap. It's a no-brainer.

They might pursue Dwight Howard though. He has said he'd be interested in returning to Orlando.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

They might pursue Dwight Howard though. He has said he'd be interested in returning to Orlando.
    Retaining your own players (with Full Bird rights no less) and pursuing other free agents don't come off the same war kitty though...

Fournier's cap hold will not limit their other moves whatsoever. Just forget it, please...

"One of our biggest, if not our biggest, priorit[ies] is to make sure Evan stays with us and we're confident we'll be able to do that." Orlando Magic GM Rob Hennigan told the Orlando Sentinel on Thursday. (14 April 2016)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PetPaima For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

While it would be nice to upgrade at SG, in my opinion our top priority is to find a starting PF. Next would be to upgrade PG and then SG.

I doubt if we can do all three this summer.

Sports Logo

Ignoring that it makes ZERO sense to have BOTH Vucevic and Dwight on the same lineup.....Dwight saying that he maybe interested in returning to Orlando isn't the same as the Magic being interested in pursuing him.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.