Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 101 to 122 of 122

Thread: Kobe's Final Game: 60 points

  1. #101

    Default Re: Kobe's Final Game: 60 points

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    On the court, Reggie was flamboyant. But he was really a good guy. Same with Tim Duncan. Shaq was generally a pretty good guy. IMO, Michael Jordan is criticized unfairly. Pippen was more of a jackhole IMO.

    I think Kobe fits more into the DWade and LeBron mold of jackholes.
    Interesting thoughts from Phil Jackson though.

    Although he didn't come right out and say it, in his latest quotes about Kobe and Michael..it seems he almost idolizes Michael, and clearly thinks he's the greatest player of all time.

    But he prefers Kobe the person.

    I don't think Kobe is a jackhole so much as I think he's a weirdo.

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:


  3. #102
    Member BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    23,857

    Default Re: Kobe's Final Game: 60 points

    Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Interesting thoughts from Phil Jackson though.

    Although he didn't come right out and say it, in his latest quotes about Kobe and Michael..it seems he almost idolizes Michael, and clearly thinks he's the greatest player of all time.

    But he prefers Kobe the person.

    I don't think Kobe is a jackhole so much as I think he's a weirdo.
    I think I agree with this. More than anything, he's just a little weird or anti-social. In any event, he doesn't seem to have the type of character traits you see in a leader. I will give LeBron credit for being a leader just like Jordan. But Kobe is not cut from that cloth. People do not naturally follow Kobe Bryant. He basically lived on his talent all the way to his last game.

  4. #103
    Member Ace E.Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    17,348

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Kobe's Final Game: 60 points

    "He's learned how to become a leader in a way in which people want to follow him. That's really important for him to have learned that because he knew that he had to give to get back in return, and so he's become a giver rather than just a guy that's a demanding leader. That's been great for him and great to watch.''

    — Phil Jackson

  5. #104
    Member BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    23,857

    Default Re: Kobe's Final Game: 60 points

    Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "He's learned how to become a leader in a way in which people want to follow him. That's really important for him to have learned that because he knew that he had to give to get back in return, and so he's become a giver rather than just a guy that's a demanding leader. That's been great for him and great to watch.''

    — Phil Jackson
    That was a backhanded way of saying Kobe isn't a natural born leader. You don't learn how to be a leader. It's either in you or it's not. Perhaps Kobe discovered that but it's not apparent. If at all and Phil isn't just being nice he became a leader with a little "l" afaic. IOW, not that good at it.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:


  7. #105
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    8,678

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Kobe's Final Game: 60 points

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But it doesn't end there with this narcissist. Sure, it's basketball related but I'm sorry this isn't Tim Duncan talking:

    “I’m like a superhero. Call me Basketball Man.”
    “Sometimes the coaches tell me to be selfish, but my game won’t let me be selfish.”
    “I love sharing the ball with my teammates. I see a lot of things before my teammates see them.”
    “I’ve always been a leader. I’ve always kind of been the tallest person on the team when I was younger but always kind of the smartest. I was ahead of my time. I wasn’t always the oldest, I kind of was the youngest on the team, but, I kind of knew what to do at times.
    Just because he is a narcissist, especially about his basketball abilities doesn't mean he's not a good dude.

    Michael would say things that would get me banned on PD for. Reggie would be a league leader in fines accrued for his antics these days.


  8. #106

    Default Re: Kobe's Final Game: 60 points

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That was a backhanded way of saying Kobe isn't a natural born leader. You don't learn how to be a leader. It's either in you or it's not. Perhaps Kobe discovered that but it's not apparent. If at all and Phil isn't just being nice he became a leader with a little "l" afaic. IOW, not that good at it.
    And yet he still was willing to coach the dude the second time around? I mean why do that if you don't think someone is a leader? That doesn't make sense to me the dude won 5 titles you don't win multiple championships if you don't have some leadership ability. Not every leader is built the same either. Some lead by intimidation others lead by example.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:


  10. #107

    Default Re: Kobe's Final Game: 60 points

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think I agree with this. More than anything, he's just a little weird or anti-social. In any event, he doesn't seem to have the type of character traits you see in a leader. I will give LeBron credit for being a leader just like Jordan. But Kobe is not cut from that cloth. People do not naturally follow Kobe Bryant. He basically lived on his talent all the way to his last game.
    First, I disagree completely with the idea that Lebron is a leader. He's clearly a follower, IMO.

    And I think Kobe is a leader in that he leads by example. It took him a while to understand how to communicate with teammates, but once he did, his work ethic and toughness provided the leadership, IMO. Teammates play hard for the guy that tapes up his broken bones and continues playing.

    There's very few natural born vocal leaders with natural born talent.

  11. #108
    Member Ace E.Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    17,348

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Kobe's Final Game: 60 points

    Kobe's ability to lead and to get others to follow was never more apparent than on the redeem team.

    http://20secondtimeout.blogspot.com/...ryant.html?m=1

    In the very first play of last summer's Tournament of the Americas, Bryant tipped the ball away from the Venezuela point guard, dived on the court trying to get it, got back up, stole the next pass and started a fastbreak. They've defended like banshees ever since. "That's the clip Coach K [Coach Mike Krzyzewski] always uses, Kobe diving on the floor," says U.S. scout Tony Ronzone. "You're talking about an MVP player in the NBA who just made a statement to USA basketball...And what that did is it took our defense to another level. What you're seeing is something that started last summer in Las Vegas, which is amazing."
    Bryant has won the respect of his teammates, but he doesn’t run in the big cliques on the team. LeBron is the ringleader of the young players, and Kobe goes his own way. He’s won his teammates over with his ferocity, his insatiable need to win, but no one ever gets close to Bryant. He’s a loner, but he learned to lead. When all hell was breaking loose in the semifinal victory over Argentina, it was Bryant working with Jason Kidd to bring his teammates back from the brink of losing composure. "We didn’t come to tussle," Bryant said. "We came to win a gold medal."

  12. #109
    Member PetPaima's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Valkeakoski, Finland
    Posts
    1,227

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Kobe's Final Game: 60 points

    A rapist who (well, his attorneys) destroyed one already fragile young woman. Happy he is gone.

  13. #110
    Member BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    23,857

    Default Re: Kobe's Final Game: 60 points

    Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Kobe's ability to lead and to get others to follow was never more apparent than on the redeem team.

    http://20secondtimeout.blogspot.com/...ryant.html?m=1
    I agree with Sookie that Kobe can lead by example. But that only influences others. It doesn't place him into a position of authority where he directs his team mates and they actually follow him. These are two different things. Players are not going to slack off when one of the most talented players in history is busting it out there.

  14. #111
    let's do better Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    23,747

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Kobe's Final Game: 60 points



    that's pretty dope. but I mean, markets and all I know, but you give the Knicks a shout out over us? he beat us for a ring and it was one of his first OH ****, THIS KOBE DUDE, moments.q

  15. #112
    let's do better Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    23,747

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Kobe's Final Game: 60 points

    also, scraggily *** Sheed reppin the JailBlazers!

  16. #113
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,736

    Default Re: Kobe's Final Game: 60 points

    I just read somewhere that Kobe's final game got higher ratings than every game of the 2003 Finals (Spurs vs. Nets). And consider Kobe's game was on ESPN2 where as the Spurs-Nets were on ABC (IIRC).

    So yes, an inconsequential game between two teams that were already eliminated from the playoffs (with 1 team having just finished their worst season in franchise history) got better ratings than an NBA Finals series.

    If that doesn't tell you the NBA has made its living market the individual superstar, I don't know what does.

  17. #114
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    22,642

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Kobe's Final Game: 60 points

    Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just read somewhere that Kobe's final game got higher ratings than every game of the 2003 Finals (Spurs vs. Nets). And consider Kobe's game was on ESPN2 where as the Spurs-Nets were on ABC (IIRC).

    So yes, an inconsequential game between two teams that were already eliminated from the playoffs (with 1 team having just finished their worst season in franchise history) got better ratings than an NBA Finals series.

    If that doesn't tell you the NBA has made its living market the individual superstar, I don't know what does.
    Well you're also talking about the second biggest media market in the country, the most popular team in the league, and one of the best careers in league history. The league does have a problem with favoring stars in its marketing, but no amount of marketing can change the impact of Kobe.

  18. #115
    Member aamcguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    26
    Posts
    4,113
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Kobe's Final Game: 60 points

    I think the one thing that everybody can agree on is that capping off a TWENTY YEAR CAREER with a 60 point game is epic however you cut it.
    Time for a new sig.

  19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:


  20. #116
    Member BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    23,857

    Default Re: Kobe's Final Game: 60 points

    Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just read somewhere that Kobe's final game got higher ratings than every game of the 2003 Finals (Spurs vs. Nets). And consider Kobe's game was on ESPN2 where as the Spurs-Nets were on ABC (IIRC).

    So yes, an inconsequential game between two teams that were already eliminated from the playoffs (with 1 team having just finished their worst season in franchise history) got better ratings than an NBA Finals series.

    If that doesn't tell you the NBA has made its living market the individual superstar, I don't know what does.
    If true, it tells you an awful lot about the average NBA fan.

  21. #117

    Default Re: Kobe's Final Game: 60 points

    http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/05/11/...were-in-shock/

    Gordon Hayward on Kobe’s final game: “a lot of us were in shock”


    It was one of the more amazing and surreal moments of the NBA season: In the final minutes of his 20-year NBA career Kobe Bryant transformed one more time into vintage Kobe, sparking a 14-0 run that led the Lakers to a 101-96 win against the Utah Jazz. Staples Center hadn’t been that electric since the 2010 NBA finals, it was unlike any regular season game I’ve ever been to.

    Gordon Hayward admitted a lot of the Jazz were in shock.

    The experience was unlike any game he had been a part of and he admitted as much on his personal blog.

    And when the game started, the atmosphere was different from anything I’ve ever experienced. Everyone in the arena was excited whenever he touched the ball. And every time Kobe got it, they wanted him to shoot it, and they were booing us for even trying to defend him.

    We were trying to win, and for a while there we were. But at the end of the game, in the closing minutes, everything that transpired kind of shocked us, to be honest. We were up double digits for most of the second half, and we led by 10 with about three minutes to go. So when Kobe started hitting shots and the game started to get close, a lot of us were in shock.

    It was like being a part of a showcase, or being in a video game. There wasn’t really much normality about it. A guy scored 60 points and took 50 shots. There was something different as far as his aggressiveness. I think every time he touched it, you knew he was going to try to shoot it, or try to score, or try to get something going. He’s always an aggressive player, but that night, he was ultra-aggressive and tried to score on every single possession.

    It wasn’t normal. It was amazing and now part of the Kobe legacy, but it wasn’t normal.

    It’s also a story Gordon is going to tell his kids and grandkids. It was that kind of a night.

  22. #118

    Default Re: Kobe's Final Game: 60 points

    https://www.yahoo.com/sports/blogs/n...163029757.html

    A piece of Kobe's final game court cost more than many sports cars
    Watching Kobe Bryant score 60 points in his final NBA game was a priceless experience. Owning a physical piece of the Los Angeles Lakers legend's final performance on an NBA court, though? There is, in fact, a price tag on that, and it was miiiiiiiiiighty steep:

    [Follow Dunks Don't Lie on Tumblr: The best slams from all of basketball]

    Oh, man, I was just about to bid $180,000 even. (Screencap via NBA Auctions)
    From Darren Rovell of ESPN.com:

    A piece of the Staples Center game floor specially made for Kobe Bryant's last game sold for $179,100. [...]
    A spokesperson for the NBA, which conducted the auction online on behalf of the Lakers Youth Foundation, said the buyer wanted to remain anonymous.
    Naturally. As anyone who has spent any time on the Basketball Internet knows, if there's one thing Kobe fans hate, it's calling attention to how much they like Kobe. (Personally, I really hope the buyer was the Black Mamba himself. Those panels would really make a nice accent to the decor at the Kobe Inc. offices, don't you think?)

    As souvenirs from the final game of Bryant's illustrious 20-year career go, it's kind of hard to argue with how rad this one is. I mean, if you couldn't cop one of those diamond-and-gold retirement rings the Lakers gave Kobe and his wife Vanessa, or buy the actual smile Kobe coaxed out of Kanye, getting an autographed chunk of the deck on which he stunned the Utah Jazz with an absurd and perfect 50-shot performance is a pretty good consolation prize, even for the low-low of just under $180K, which also could have netted you, say, a McLaren 540C or a Porsche 911 Turbo Cabriolet. Maybe not as great as the final two gifts Bryant bequeathed to the Lakers — a $1.2 million sayonara merch-sale windfall and, thanks to a farewell tour full of losin', the No. 2 overall pick in the 2016 NBA draft — but still pretty good, all things considered.

  23. #119

    Default Re: Kobe's Final Game: 60 points

    http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/10/27/...short-stories/

    Kobe Bryant says he was nearly late to final game, because was busy editing short stories

    Already eliminated from the playoff chase, the Jazz weren’t focused for Kobe Bryant’s final game. They ceded 60 points to the over-the-hill superstar.

    How locked in was Kobe?

    Kobe via Thu-Huong Ha of Quartz:

    “I was actually at the office until 4 or 4:15 editing a bunch of short stories, and lost track of time,” Bryant told the Wall Street Journal’s Dennis K. Berman. “And I looked at my watch, ‘Oh…I better go home. I got my last game to play.’”

    Kobe clearly summoned a will to compete by the time he reached the arena. That was a sendoff for the ages.

    But this is another sign he was ready for the next chapter in his life.

  24. #120
    Member aamcguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    26
    Posts
    4,113
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Kobe's Final Game: 60 points

    Yeah, that sounds like a load of crap to me. I'm glad the Kobe money-grabbing tour is over. I'm also happy Paul Pierce isn't as popular as Kobe was so he can't do the same.
    Time for a new sig.

  25. #121
    Member Ace E.Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    17,348

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Kobe's Final Game: 60 points

    Quote Originally Posted by aamcguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, that sounds like a load of crap to me. I'm glad the Kobe money-grabbing tour is over. I'm also happy Paul Pierce isn't as popular as Kobe was so he can't do the same.
    Haterrrrrrr

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:


  27. #122

    Default Re: Kobe's Final Game: 60 points

    http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/04/12/...orst-one-ever/



    Kobe Bryant: Final game had to be ‘epic one or the worst one ever’


    The last day of the regular season is like the last day of school. A few people might still have final exams, but others are already finished and ready for the summer. There’s a loose, anything-goes vibe that surrounds a tenseness for a few.

    In this context, one of the most extraordinary performances happened last year.

    Kobe Bryant, in the final game of his career, scored 60 points on 50 shots in a Lakers win over the Jazz.



    Kobe, via Baxter Holmes of ESPN:

    “I wasn’t thinking, ‘I’m going to rest up and come out here and have this monster game.'”

    The plan, as much as there was one, was to delight some fans while avoiding any more serious injuries. “Give them a couple plays, take them down memory lane a little bit,” Bryant tells ESPN. And that would be that.

    “After the first couple minutes, I was like, ‘Oh, s—,'” Bryant says. “It became apparent really, really quickly that this night was not going to go down with me just playing OK. It was either going to have to be an epic one or the worst one ever, because they were just going to keep throwing me the damn ball and the crowd wanted me to shoot every time — almost to the point where I felt bad for my teammates, because if they took a shot, the crowd was ready to boo. So it was like, ‘Oh, s—. I gotta go.'”

    Most great players end their careers with a whimper. They set the bar so high in their prime, and by the time they’re ready to retire, they can’t meet the massively high expectations. And careers end with a single game. There’s only one crack at a finale.

    But Kobe — who played 20 years; won five championships; won MVP, Finals MVP twice and All-Star MVP four times; made 15 All-NBA teams and 18 All-Star teams — somehow found a way to amaze us once again.

    Did the game’s outcome matter? No. Was Utah trying its hardest? No. Was he efficient? No.

    But we’ll still remember that game forever, and that’s what makes it incredible. Kobe figured out what was asked of him that night, and he delivered.

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •