Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2016 Colts Preseason Thread

Default 2016 Colts Preseason Thread

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2016/4/7...dule-announced

The NFL has officially announced the preseason schedule for this fall, and the Indianapolis Colts will play five preseason games rather than the normal four.

Here's the Colts' full 2016 preseason schedule (exact dates and times will be announced at a later date):

Hall of Fame game - vs. Green Bay Packers (Canton, Ohio) - Sunday, August 7, 2016 - 8:00 p.m. - ESPN

week 1 - at Buffalo Bills - August 11-15

week 2 - vs. Baltimore Ravens - August 18-22

week 3 - vs. Philadelphia Eagles - August 25-28

week 4 - at Cincinnati Bengals - September 1-2

We already knew that the Colts would play five games, as they will play in the Hall of Fame game against the Green Bay Packers a week earlier than all of the other teams begin their preseasons. The Colts will be there because of Marvin Harrison and Tony Dungy going into the Hall of Fame, while the Packers have Brett Favre going into Canton. That will allow the Colts to begin training camp earlier, and it also means they will have an extra preseason game.

Just like normal, the last week of the preseason will feature a matchup between the Colts and the Cincinnati Bengals. The starters don't typically play in that game (and they may not play in the Hall of Fame game either), but it's a chance for backups and players on the bubble to try to make one last impression. On the positive side of things, the third preseason game will be at home for the Colts (against the Eagles), meaning the fans should be able to see quite a bit of the starters. The only nationally televised preseason game for the Colts this year will be the Hall of Fame game, which will be broadcast on ESPN.

The preseason isn't the most exciting thing in the world, but at least it's football, and by the time the preseason rolls around we'll have been talking about training camp for a few weeks and then will be able to watch five games to see the Colts in action and begin to see what players may make an impact in 2016. The regular season schedule is expected to be announced later this month, but for now, at least we have the Colts' preseason schedule.

Default Re: 2016 Colts Preseason Thread

Arthur Jones 4-game suspension for PEDs was yet another in a long line of disappointments for him. Wonder if they keep him around despite it? Probably worth it if he looks good in camp. But where's he at on injury recovery since last season?
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Apparently he's supposed to be back but honestly I think the Colts have moved on from him. I mean its rather easy since he was gone half the time.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's going down August 25-28th!!!!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It feels like over the last dozen or so years, our pre-season record has to be like 6-44.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It feels like over the last dozen or so years, our pre-season record has to be like 6-44.
    Except for last season it was a good omen for the upcoming regular season.

Now I'm not really sure what to expect

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...g-andrew-luck/

Colts plan to play all the starters Sunday, including Andrew Luck

The number of preseason reps for starters seem to shrink with every passing year.

But when you didnít get the full amount in the regular season last year, maybe thereís more motivation.

Via Zak Keefer of the Indianapolis Star, Colts coach Chuck Pagano said he was playing everyone in Sundayís preseason opener at the Hall of Fame Game, including quarterback Andrew Luck.

Luck missed nine games last year with a variety of injuries, so a bit of knocking the rust off seems reasonable. But the Packers likely wonít take the same approach, considering what a fan of the extra preseason game quarterback Aaron Rodgers is.

Luck has declared himself 100 percent recovered from last yearís laundry list of problems (which included a lacerated kidney). So maybe he just wants the extra game to work up an authentic preseason aroma.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ackers-sunday/

Joe Callahan expected to start at quarterback for Packers Sunday

Posted by Josh Alper on August 7, 2016, 7:43 AM EDT

ARLINGTON, TX - DECEMBER 15: Quarterback Aaron Rodgers #12 of the Green Bay Packers looks on from the sideline during a game against the Dallas Cowboys at AT&T Stadium on December 15, 2013 in Arlington, Texas. (Photo by Ronald Martinez/Getty Images)
    Getty Images

Saturday night saw one of the greatest Packers quarterbacks of all time get inducted into the Hall of Fame.

Sunday night will reportedly see an unknown one get the first snaps of the exhibition season. Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports that Joe Callahan will get the start against the Colts in the Hall of Fame game with Aaron Rodgers and Brett Hundley each getting the night off.

Rodgers is healthy, but hasnít shown much interest in playing a fifth preseason game and likely would have made only a cameo if he did see the field. He didnít practice on Thursday as Callahan took the most first-team snaps and Hundley hasnít practiced since hurting his ankle early this week, leaving the undrafted rookie from Wesley College in position to start.

ďFirst NFL snap, thereís definitely going to be some nerves but then thereís going to be a lot of excitement, too,Ē Callahan said. ďIím going to try and make sure Iím level-headed and calm so Iím not firing the ball all over the place. Thatís one of the things: Donít let my emotions get the best of me.Ē

Marquise Williams, another undrafted rookie, is the other quarterback slated to see action for the Packers.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-of-fame-game/

Poor field conditions jeopardize Hall of Fame Game

Tonightís Hall of Fame Game, the annual NFL preseason opener, is in jeopardy of being canceled after teams went on pregame warmups and saw poor field conditions.

ESPN, which is scheduled to televise the game tonight, reports that the wrong paint was used on the surface in Canton, Ohio, and it has led to the field surface being considered unsafe to play on.

Although the grounds crew initially said the surface would be fine, players and coaches on both teams inspected the turf and have expressed concern that the paint job could result in injuries.

Fans are currently lining up outside the stadium, unsure whether theyíre actually going to see a game tonight. Many fans from Indianapolis and Green Bay traveled to Canton to experience the full Hall of Fame weekend, which is supposed to include the game.

The playing surface in Canton has been criticized in the past. Last year players on the Steelers said kicker Shaun Suishamís injury was caused by the turf in Canton.

Given last yearís issue, the NFL should have done everything in its power to ensure that the game would be played without a hitch this year. If this game has to be canceled, itís a huge black eye for the NFL.

Colts looking great so far in the preseason at Buffalo....

....Well... not really...
    Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

residing in Maryland but Indianapolis born and raised

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Same old preseason Colts.....nothing new here. Carry on
    Larry Bird and Ryan Grigson- wasting the talents of Paul George and Andrew Luck

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

We actually won a preseason game? Is this bad? A bad omen? Usually we lose all preseason and then do alright in the regular. I'm scared now.

Curious why starters were rested. I'd think they would wanna test Luck a bit after last season.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    We actually won a preseason game? Is this bad? A bad omen? Usually we lose all preseason and then do alright in the regular. I'm scared now.

Curious why starters were rested. I'd think they would wanna test Luck a bit after last season.
    Could be they wanted to see the OL line attempt to gel with someone other than the franchise taking snaps. Or possibly they are really wanting to study the backup QB situation and give whatshisname a chance to play with the first team in a real game.
    Or maybe the rain/forecast scared them to have Luck on the field in a preseason game for those conditions.

Or some combination...
    Or something else entirely....
    Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Let me just add.... Pagano sure made it odd with his post game comments about Luck not playing. Basically, DNP-CD. And if anyone asked him to elaborate he chalked up to DNP-CD. No insight at all. Hmmmm

------

-John Wooden

They need to sit Luck out for the whole pre season

Sent from my Nexus 5X

residing in Maryland but Indianapolis born and raised

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Let me just add.... Pagano sure made it odd with his post game comments about Luck not playing. Basically, DNP-CD. And if anyone asked him to elaborate he chalked up to DNP-CD. No insight at all. Hmmmm
    It was apparently due to Rex Ryan's aggressive style in the preseason....

Here's the link http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...preseason-game
    Larry Bird and Ryan Grigson- wasting the talents of Paul George and Andrew Luck

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr_Smith For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Smith View Post
    It was apparently due to Rex Ryan's aggressive style in the preseason....

Here's the link http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...preseason-game
    I wonder if Pagano made the call or Irsay made the call? I just find it weird the way Pagano 'explained' it by not explaining it at all. There were probably a hundred things he could've said that would've been legitimate potential reasons, even if he was spinning them to hide the real or main reason. By answering the way he did with a non-answer it just makes the whole thing weird.

I don't think Luck's hurt or anything like that... Fearing a revamped line, in the rain with poor field conditions, with a new coaching staff, against a team that gets aggressive and wants to practice their defense probably as much or more than the Colts want to tweak and practice their offense, all makes sense to keep Luck out. And how hard would it have been to have said "We just thought with the soggy field and rain, and this now our first game with the new line and coaches, that we didn't really need to see Luck out there today while we worked on some things. Plus it gave us the opportunity to give the backups some more game experience and us more to evaluate". He says that and nobody is talking about this today. Rex Ryan isn't talking about Irsay or mad because his preseason coaching has been put into question, and it's onto the next almost meaningless preseason game.

------

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by BornIndy07 View Post
    They need to sit Luck out for the whole pre season

Sent from my Nexus 5X
    Yeah that's not happening and it probably shouldn't considering Luck hasn't played since last November.

Regardless it was strange seeing the Colts win a preseason game(a surprisingly entertaining one.)

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Am I the only one that feels like the Colts are in for years of mediocrity from this point out. The days of dominating the division are over. Irsay made a grave mistake by retaining Pagano and Grigson IMO. Not trying to be a downer as I'm hoping for the best and always root on the Colts, but it's how I honestly feel at this point. Hope to **** that I'm wrong.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't know what to expect, but we still went 8-8 last year even though pretty much everything that could go wrong went wrong.

We aren't playing a first place schedule this year, which means no NE.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    I think he was just having way too much fun with those questions.

He was really getting their goat. I enjoyed it all.

With the philosophy correction from trying to contend quickly with hired gun veterans via free agency to a more gradual building and development of young guys (particularly in the trenches) through the draft, I think it will be more indicative of the coaching staff's abilities. Although given the influx of youth, it probably buys them a slightly bigger window in which to work.

Of course, the window could be curtailed significantly if Pagano and his staff don't show improvement in overall strategy and especially in-game adjustments. I'm just trying to be open minded and give the Pagano and Grigson a reasonable chance to redeem themselves. It will be hard to be patient if Pagano immediately reverts to mind-numbing decisions in game.

One thing I don't think is too much of snap judgment is that our backup QB situation has reverted back to disastrous. But, again, you're in trouble if you lose a Manning or a Luck for more than a few games regardless. Hoping the right side of the O-line shows some serious quick growth for this reason.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post

One thing I don't think is too much of snap judgment is that our backup QB situation has reverted back to disastrous. But, again, you're in trouble if you lose a Manning or a Luck for more than a few games regardless. Hoping the right side of the O-line shows some serious quick growth for this reason.
    I think Morris did quite well, given the situation. One hell of a lot better than Curtis Painter ever even thought of doing.

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    Am I the only one that feels like the Colts are in for years of mediocrity from this point out. The days of dominating the division are over. Irsay made a grave mistake by retaining Pagano and Grigson IMO. Not trying to be a downer as I'm hoping for the best and always root on the Colts, but it's how I honestly feel at this point. Hope to **** that I'm wrong.
    You are not. I feel like we're slowly drifting into 8-10 win purgatory unless Luck turns into a top 3 QB (which he couldÖjury's still out on whether we can keep him healthy). If you look back at the beginning of the Manning era, we had that awful first season, then quickly became a contender, lost Edge for a year and went 6-10, changed coaches, then Manning reached a new level and the rest is history.

Compare that to what we've seen in the Luck era: we never had that bad first season, we went 8-8 instead of 6-10 and we kept our coach and GM. It remains to be seen how good Luck can become, but it honestly shouldn't surprise anyone if it's far below what some of our fans are expecting from him. Manning was a once every generation QB, and we may never again see a player impact the game like he did. And as good as he was, he wasn't doing it all by himself. This team doesn't have a Marvin Harrison. It doesn't have an Edgerrin James. It doesn't even have a Dwight Freeney.

Crazy things can happen in the NFL, and maybe some year, everything will fall into place again like it did in 06. But I know one thing is for certain: we're not rattling off seven consecutive 12+ win seasons again. Those days are done.