Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peyton Statue PD Help!!!

Default Peyton Statue PD Help!!!

So members of PD here is your opportunity to help possibly sculpt what a Peyton Manning statue at Lucas Oil could look like.

There has been no official artist/sculptor selected to do the Peyton statue as of yet. I happen to know an individual who could possibly be in consideration for the job. This artist of course has ideas on what a Peyton statue could look like but having mixed feelings on what is the best approach. He really want's to get the essence of Peyton and what would draw the emotion and connection out of fans in the best way. For example does the statue need to be a football scene of a quarterback throwing a pass (so many statues like this where there are no facial features and you can pretty much stick any jersey number, they look the same) or more of Peyton in his uniform but helmet off where you can actually see his face?

So fans what would you like to see in a Peyton Manning statue? I promise this is legit and your thoughts will be passed along to the sculptor. Here is a link to the artist who would like the opportunity to do the Manning statue. He did the Larry Bird statue for ISU. He's the guy wearing the Indy Colts cap (kind of funny he made Bird but wearing Colts that day).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7ljZqKGqhA
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

2. The Following User Says Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Peyton Statue PD Help!!!

I apologize for this being a contradictory answer but these are just my thoughts.

I think an optimal statue would be Peyton Manning holding the Super Bowl trophy after the victory over the Bears, since that moment represents Indy's only major sports championship in a league that still exists. I hold great reverence for the ABA Pacers, but the Colts winning the Super Bowl is a much bigger deal to 99% of Indianapolis.

The problem is if you look at the photos from that Lombardi ceremony, Peyton had kind of an odd, reluctant grin on his face that may not translate well to a statue. Also, he is wearing a Colts SB champs shirt, not his #18. I would prefer a more conventional smile and his #18 jersey. But then, you are basically creating a moment that, if you want to be picky, never really happened. I don't know how that would work and if it would be acceptable. Just my thoughts.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Thanks idioteque!! That's exactly thoughts he is looking for. It's one of those not seeing the forest for the trees sort of thing. He is looking for something that would have a special meaning to Colt fans and not your ordinary statue that could be anyone or placed at any football venue.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

The audibles are super unique to Peyton:

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

OMAHA!

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    OMAHA!
    I don't think Peyton really used "Omaha!!" with Indy much if at all.

I do like the idea of incorporating the Lombardi Trophy into the statue. If not the trophy, at least the SB win in some way. Peyton captured in a game action shot from the game (whether an existing photo or a rewatching of the game and a screen grab) and then on a base/pedestal a plaque or carving that denotes "SB Champion (whatever the Roman numerals were for 2006)". Something like that captures the essence of not only Peyton as #18 with the Colts, ties him and Indy to the SB, plus doesn't 'create' a false moment.
    Although I'm not really sure a false moment is actually a bad thing when you apply a small amount of artistic license and a bigger picture view of what the statue is representing.

It's Indiana so I'd keep it traditional as far as incorporating things into it like the Lombardi and any other records or history. Probably don't need warped, stretched, or over conceptualized pieces in it for example. Those things can ultimately look dated in 20 years.... and also cause a commotion amongst conservative Hoosiers to the point of having some finding reasons to think it doesn't properly honor him

Of course having both the RCA Dome and Lucas play into it in a small way somehow might be nice to show how Peyton bridged an era in Indy and 'built' Lucas. Maybe even a larger way... Both behind him... or below him...
    Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

RWB

I want two statues. One of 18 facing LOS like he's throwing a pass. And one directly at the other end of 88 catching said "pass"
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

All responses so far has been forwarded to sculptor Bill Wolfe

14. The Following User Says Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

What about a sculpture of a massive Peyton popping out of the Lucas retractable roof to throw a pass, complete with the Indy skyline also sculpted behind him? It would really capture how he was a larger than life persona in Indy.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Peyton doing his goofy *** jog onto the field.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Peyton doing his goofy *** jog onto the field.
    I'll pass it along.

Here is some more sculptures by Bill Wolfe in case you're wondering if this is legit.... http://www.bill-wolfe.com/sculptures/

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

How about Peyton yelling about cutting that meat?
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    Here is some more sculptures by Bill Wolfe in case you're wondering if this is legit.... http://www.bill-wolfe.com/sculptures/
    Excellent work!
    Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sollozzo nailed what my recommendation would have been.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

RWB

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    I want two statues. One of 18 facing LOS like he's throwing a pass. And one directly at the other end of 88 catching said "pass"
    instead of 88 make the other statue a little kid getting drilled in the back

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Excellent work!
    I'll pass along the complements buddy.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    instead of 88 make the other statue a little kid getting drilled in the back
    Doubt Mr. Irsay will go for that one.

Mood

I'd like him to either be throwing, or signaling (with helmet on). If throwing, one where the ball is at the apex line here:

Or like this:

Sent from my Nexus 5X
    Time for a new sig.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:

Would be funny if this was the statue

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    I don't think Peyton really used "Omaha!!" with Indy much if at all....
    I often heard him yelling...."Louie-ville! Louie-ville!"

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports...ony/453605001/

Jim Mora says he won't come back to Indianapolis for Peyton Manning's statue ceremony

You have to wonder what Peyton Manning's life must be like now that he's retired from the NFL. Here are some of the funniest things he said about this chapter in his life, during an appearance in Indianapolis. Dwight Adams/IndyStar

636348715258080830-mora-manning-edge.JPG
    (Photo: MATT DETRICH, IndyStar file photo)
    CONNECT
    TWEET
    LINKEDIN
    COMMENT
    EMAIL
    MORE
    Jim Mora was a guest with WNDE's "Query & Schultz" radio show Wednesday, and he talked at length about his apparently turbulent time in Indianapolis.

The interview opened with him discussing why he left the Colts, who he coached from 1998 — Peyton Manning's rookie season — to 2001, after being asked if it was because he refused to fire defensive coordinator Vic Fangio.

"That's exactly true," Mora told Query & Schultz. "I didn't walk away, though, I got fired. It was either fire Vic or fire me. I was asked by Bill Polian — I was told by Bill Polian — he wanted me to fire Vic Fangio. I said, well, he doesn't deserve to be fired. He's an outstanding coach, was then and he still is. So we had talks with Jim Irsay, it came down and I wouldn't do it ...

More: A look at the top Colts quotes from 30 years

"I couldn't fire a friend or a coach that I felt was very qualified that didn't deserve to be fired. So I got fired. That was it."

By the end of the interview, Mora was asked his thoughts on returning to Indianapolis for a ceremony honoring Manning.

Manning is due to have a statue erected outside Lucas Oil Stadium this fall. According to Mora, Manning asked him to attend.

More: A Facebook kerfuffle erupts over who gets credit on Peyton Manning's statue

"I told him I wasn't going to come," Mora said. "I had reasons. I would love to come back there, but because of the way I left the Colts, my relationship with Polian, I don't know. I just wouldn't feel that I would feel comfortable being there."

The Colts went 3-13 Manning's rookie season but flipped that record to 13-3 in his second campaign. Year No. 3 saw Manning and Mora go 10-6, before going 6-10 in Mora's last season.

A look at the Colts postseason frustration: From Jim Mora to Chuck Pagano

The core of that team went on to, with Tony Dungy at the helm, win Super Bowl XLI over the Chicago Bears. Mora said he only wishes he could have seen out that roster's potential.

And though he still loves Indianapolis, he's not ready to come back. Not even for Manning.

"I would love to come, but I think I would just feel a little bit awkward there," he said. "It was a big part of my career. I coached some really good players there. I loved the organization. I loved the city. It was a great city."

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    I was listening to this interview on the radio the other day.

Personally, I think Jim should just suck it up, be a man, and be there. It's about supporting your friend, not about whether or not you would be comfortable being there.

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Mora should be honored that one of the most famous athletes ever invited him to be a part of this historic event. If he doesn't want to go, then that's his business, but he shouldn't go public with his reasons which do nothing but distract from the event.

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post: