Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Few Thoughts on Where Things Seem to be Going

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: A Few Thoughts on Where Things Seem to be Going

I dont see why we must continue to torcher ourselves with Ron Artest.

He's not playing, he's not a factor at all, we have to go in with the team we have. As far as I'm concerned, Artest doesn't exist right now...he's not part of the team we are watching in the playoffs.

Look, I know how important Artest is to this team, and I know he is the favorite player of many. But I just think we should all enjoy what we have right now. We're up 2-1 on the Celts, after getting the crap kicked out of us in game one. Game 4 is at our place with no Walker. Reggie is playing out of his mind.
    Let's just enjoy the ride we have now.

This is a great thread. I'm trying not to look past tomorrow, but if we do win tomorrow, then I think we'll win the series. After that, like Reggie has said, anything is possible. If we do get Tinsley back and up to speed, then we just might be able to put up a serious fight in round 2. So we lost Artest? Yeah, it would be nice to have his defense, his scoring, his intensity. However, we now have DD on the court, which gives our big guys extra rest. (also, DD has finals experience) And, because of everything that has happened, we have a surging Reggie. Add this all up and throw in tons of experience for our bench this season, and it's a recipe for success. Not to mention we have one of the best coaches in the league. The Pacers' cup is definitely half-full.
    :thepacers
    No Linking to your own site if it sells something.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hate it when fans get over confident
    Me too, UB.

But I agree with DK that if all the "ifs" become reality, and if the Pacers get by Boston, I think the P's have a chance to scare the hell out of the Pistons.

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by Peck
    Hmmm.... ironically it's also further than the team got under the Isiah Thomas coaching regime.

I guess ole buggeyes isn't infallible after all
    Is any man?

Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    Is any man?
    Well there is Dale Davis

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by Peck
    Well there is Dale Davis
    The Lord Giveth and He taketh away, then He Giveth Again.

I too have noted things are coming together, but in this season from hell, I sorta, kinda, halfway expect a big wheel to come off and finally wreck our season for good.

Thus I won't be surprised at an NBA championship because the ingredients are coming together. I also won't be surprised if we get beat by Boston.

Sorry if I seem skeptical, but until I see us get past Boston, I'm not thinking about anything. Game 4 is the decider game, and if we lose it, all of these threads where we look ahead will look foolish. I'm worried
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness
    Sorry if I seem skeptical, but until I see us get past Boston, I'm not thinking about anything. Game 4 is the decider game, and if we lose it, all of these threads where we look ahead will look foolish. I'm worried
    I don't think anybody is looking ahead, I know I'm not.

But I don't think it's unrealistic to believe.

We doubted they could compete with 6 players & they did.

We doubted that they could hold .500% till Jax & J.O. got back from suspension & they did.

We doubted they would make the playoffs once Jermaine O'Neal went down with the shoulder & they did.

If anything we should learn that while it is totally reasonable to be realistic about the team it's not really smart to doubt them.

As Will just said I could see us losing to the Celtics & I can even envision us competing all the way.

Either way it's been a hell of a ride & one that I wouldn't have missed for the world.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

I could care less if fans become overconfident. They don't play the games.

But I mainly posted this because NOBODY is giving the Pacers any chance to do anything more than get by Boston. I've thought all along they matched up better with Detroit than anyone except Miami in the EC but thought to myself, "Well, they're so injured that they have no shot."

Except that it's looking like they're becoming less injured than they've been all season - and with what has to be the deepest team in the league. I kind of took a close look at what was going on - heck, even Foster looked good Thurs - and have begun thinking that not mentioning the Pacers as a contender is a mistake. Tinsley's a huge key though - if he doesn't play I take it all back.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

think only of the Celtics grasshopper only of the Celtics
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

OK, I'll look ahead, the Pacers have no chance to beat the Pistons

You will soon regret this comment.

The Pacers, like the Pistons against the Lakers in last years finals, have a very good chance against Detroit.

Our biggest weakness in the ECF last year was our outside shooting. We now have Jackson, Jones & a Reggie Miller that seems to be playing like it matters again.

The Pistons bench has seemed to become very thin. Granted, bench play becomes less important during the playoffs, but still, a team needs to be able go more than 6 or 7 deep.

I would rather not use an "if", but here, I must. If Tinsley can play, even a little & O'Neal's should remains healthy I think we have a very good chance of moving to the next round.

Harmonica

Okay, since you seem to have a crystal ball, what will I have for dinner tonight?

Doug, haven't you watched Prince lately. Pacers need Artest to keep him under control. He is now a major force offensively
    I thought about him when I wrote that, but I couldn't quite bring myself to put Prince in the "need Ron Artest to shut him down category" that I lump the top-tier swingmen like Kobe.

On the subject of where things are going, call me "cautiously optimistic". My heart says we could see something magical. My head says we are overmatched by everybody, including Boston.

But I believe.

This season has already been a magical one. I don't think it's too much of stretch to think there's 14 games of magic left.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    Okay, since you seem to have a crystal ball, what will I have for dinner tonight?
    Haggis?
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Slaughter
    You will soon regret this comment.

The Pacers, like the Pistons against the Lakers in last years finals, have a very good chance against Detroit.

Our biggest weakness in the ECF last year was our outside shooting. We now have Jackson, Jones & a Reggie Miller that seems to be playing like it matters again.

The Pistons bench has seemed to become very thin. Granted, bench play becomes less important during the playoffs, but still, a team needs to be able go more than 6 or 7 deep.

I would rather not use an "if", but here, I must. If Tinsley can play, even a little & O'Neal's should remains healthy I think we have a very good chance of moving to the next round.

I agree with you that in order to beat the Pistons you have to hit outside shots, you must spread the floor, move the ball, run a ton of pick and rolls. If you just play power basketball that will not work at all

Stephen Jackson can defend Prince pretty effectively. He's long himself, quick, etc.

I'd like to know what was up with the Pistons giving up 115 pts last night (didn't see the game). AI can screw with a team's defense, but not that much,
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by Doug
    Haggis?
    Heck, I don't know, that's why I was asking UB with that crystal ball of his.

Clark Kellogg was on the JMV show this afternoon and he said he thought Pacers fans were going to be in for some pleasant surprises in the next couple of weeks......
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++

Clark is one of my favorite announcers. He has good insights into the
    inner workings of the Pacers. With that said all I am expecting out of these
    playoffs is to see Reggie play one more game. After watching him for 19 years
    it is a pure joy to see all of Reggie's game come together. If Reggie had
    such a complete game 5 years ago as today the Pacers might have had a
    Championship. What he is doing is finding that midrange shot and not just shooting 3's. The mental part of his game is at its peak. If they advance
    one more game it is a good day. If the Pacers can get all their bigs healthy
    Clark may be right.

owl

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan
    Six guys 6' 10" or more?

Pollard
    Foster
    JO
    Cro
    Dale

Who's the sixth?
    Bender

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick
    Stephen Jackson can defend Prince pretty effectively. He's long himself, quick, etc.

I'd like to know what was up with the Pistons giving up 115 pts last night (didn't see the game). AI can screw with a team's defense, but not that much,
    Pistons gave the Sixers perimeter jumpers, and they didn't miss. Almost literally. I'll bet they shot at least 60 to 65 percent in the 2nd half. When Samuel Dalembert is hitting 18 foot turnaround fadeaway jumpers, you're in trouble.

But it's the kind of performance I expect to see from the Pacers every game in the 2nd round, should the Pistons be fortunate enough to play them.

How will people react if the series gets tied 2-2 tonight?

SjA3837

Quote Originally Posted by Pig Nash
    Bender
    David Harrison, Edwards?

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick

I forgot about that. Stephen for some reason defends Prince a heck of a lot better than Ronnie does. I remember that in the November game

Of course I still dont think we'd win that series
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.