Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 71 of 71

Thread: A Few Thoughts on Where Things Seem to be Going

  1. #51
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,766

    Default Re: A Few Thoughts on Where Things Seem to be Going

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcadian
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How will people react if the series gets tied 2-2 tonight?
    Oh I'm sure there will be the gnashing of teeth & wringing of wrist that comes along anytime you lose a ball game.

    Nobody that I can tell is saying we are dead set to beat the Celtics. I'm just saying that it is wrong to write our team off as done even if we beat the Celtics.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  2. #52

    Default Re: A Few Thoughts on Where Things Seem to be Going

    And the series very well might be tied tonight
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

  3. #53
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Frankfort, IN
    Posts
    9,136

    Default Re: A Few Thoughts on Where Things Seem to be Going

    Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And the series very well might be tied tonight
    Possible - but unlikely. If the Pacers maintain their focus, play defense like they've been the last two games and treat every possession like it's special, they outmatch the Celtics nearly as much as they did last season - or they do if they don't run into more injury trouble.

    Boston's one of those teams with a lot of talent and athleticism but they just don't play a game that's successful in the playoffs.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

  4. #54
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,967

    Default Re: A Few Thoughts on Where Things Seem to be Going

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I refuse to look beyond tomorrow night.
    I'm right with you UB.

    Last year I fell into the trap of those "16 15 ... 1" placards at games, counting down how many more wins we needed for a title. Not this year. All we need to worry about is winning the next game. Period. And if we win or lose, it starts all over.

    All we need to worry about is winning the next game.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  5. #55

    Default Re: A Few Thoughts on Where Things Seem to be Going

    I think the most important thing for the Pacers to do is to go out and absoultely dominate the Celtics from the beginning. The Celtics aren't unlike many teams that we have fielded during the past few years. They have many young, athletic, and up and coming players. They have a ton of young, raw talent, and that makes them dangerous.

    The one thing that you don't want to give a group like this is confidence. That would be like giving oxygen to a flame that is only flickering right now. Young guys tend to be more volatile, so Indiana has to go out with the cold determination and dexterity of an assasin. We need to squash the spirits of the Celtics, particularly the young guys, if we can. If we come out overconfident, and kid ourselves into thinking we can run with these guys, then we are in trouble.

    The Pacers seem to play their best basketball when their collective backs are against the wall, and it is them vs. the world. They relish that underdog position, and I suppose I do too.

    If they expect to seriously get out of this round, and if they want to make a run at the championship, then they need to be able to keep the heat on even when they are dominating the opposition. That is one of the things that the Chicago Bull's teams always seemed to have, that we didn't. I am sure the team was following Jordan's lead, but it seemed like they were relentless at dominating a team without ever letting up. We always seemed to follow periods of greatness with mental lapses - ultimately letting teams "on the ropes" back in the game.

    One of the things that I loved about our game on Thursday night is that we kept the pedal to the metal. Anytime the Celtics started to make a run we countered with key plays or with key substitutions from the coaching staff. I never felt like we let up, and we didn't get away from our game. That is one of the benefits of having a veteran team.

    In my opinion, this is the most critical game in the series. The Pacers have a huge edge in this game because they are at home, and because Antoine is out. These are games that champions can't and don't lose.

    I think the key tonight will be how Anthony Johnson and Reggie Miller handle the intense defensive pressure that I look for the Celtics to apply. I disagree with Doc River's assessment on his team's defensive pressure on the ball. I think the Celts have done a great job in this area. Our guards struggled alot getting the ball past half-court, and we lost valuable time on the shot clock in the process. We need to really protect the ball tonight. Their pressure could easily lead to turnovers, fast breaks, and easy baskets. That is exactly what we don't need.

    Reggie is a smart player, and he will adapt to more physical defense by using his trademark flopping skills. My only concern is that he will start obsessing over officiating and not getting calls. When he does that, he takes himself out of the game, and his demeanor rubs off on Jax and O'neal. The officials are probably going to call this game tightly, so the team that keeps its cool, and is aggressive on offense will have an advantage.
    When you're playing against a stacked deck, compete even harder. Show the world how much you'll fight for the winners circle. If you do, someday the cellophane will crackle off a fresh pack, one that belongs to you, and the cards will be stacked in your favor.
    -Pat Riley

  6. #56
    All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bilthoven, The Netherlands
    Age
    38
    Posts
    9,020

    Default Re: A Few Thoughts on Where Things Seem to be Going

    Quote Originally Posted by Pig Nash
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bender


    Regards,

    Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

  7. #57
    All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bilthoven, The Netherlands
    Age
    38
    Posts
    9,020

    Default Re: A Few Thoughts on Where Things Seem to be Going

    Quote Originally Posted by brich
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think the most important thing for the Pacers to do is to go out and absoultely dominate the Celtics from the beginning. The Celtics aren't unlike many teams that we have fielded during the past few years. They have many young, athletic, and up and coming players. They have a ton of young, raw talent, and that makes them dangerous.

    The one thing that you don't want to give a group like this is confidence. That would be like giving oxygen to a flame that is only flickering right now. Young guys tend to be more volatile, so Indiana has to go out with the cold determination and dexterity of an assasin. We need to squash the spirits of the Celtics, particularly the young guys, if we can. If we come out overconfident, and kid ourselves into thinking we can run with these guys, then we are in trouble.

    The Pacers seem to play their best basketball when their collective backs are against the wall, and it is them vs. the world. They relish that underdog position, and I suppose I do too.

    If they expect to seriously get out of this round, and if they want to make a run at the championship, then they need to be able to keep the heat on even when they are dominating the opposition. That is one of the things that the Chicago Bull's teams always seemed to have, that we didn't. I am sure the team was following Jordan's lead, but it seemed like they were relentless at dominating a team without ever letting up. We always seemed to follow periods of greatness with mental lapses - ultimately letting teams "on the ropes" back in the game.

    One of the things that I loved about our game on Thursday night is that we kept the pedal to the metal. Anytime the Celtics started to make a run we countered with key plays or with key substitutions from the coaching staff. I never felt like we let up, and we didn't get away from our game. That is one of the benefits of having a veteran team.

    In my opinion, this is the most critical game in the series. The Pacers have a huge edge in this game because they are at home, and because Antoine is out. These are games that champions can't and don't lose.

    I think the key tonight will be how Anthony Johnson and Reggie Miller handle the intense defensive pressure that I look for the Celtics to apply. I disagree with Doc River's assessment on his team's defensive pressure on the ball. I think the Celts have done a great job in this area. Our guards struggled alot getting the ball past half-court, and we lost valuable time on the shot clock in the process. We need to really protect the ball tonight. Their pressure could easily lead to turnovers, fast breaks, and easy baskets. That is exactly what we don't need.

    Reggie is a smart player, and he will adapt to more physical defense by using his trademark flopping skills. My only concern is that he will start obsessing over officiating and not getting calls. When he does that, he takes himself out of the game, and his demeanor rubs off on Jax and O'neal. The officials are probably going to call this game tightly, so the team that keeps its cool, and is aggressive on offense will have an advantage.
    Very good post! I aggree!

    Regards,

    Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

  8. #58
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,967

    Default Re: A Few Thoughts on Where Things Seem to be Going

    All I have to say is, driving home from the game, all I could think about was how pissed I am at this thread.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  9. #59
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: A Few Thoughts on Where Things Seem to be Going

    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  10. #60
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,912

    Default Re: A Few Thoughts on Where Things Seem to be Going

    Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    All I have to say is, driving home from the game, all I could think about was how pissed I am at this thread.


    I was thinking about it during the game tonight.

    I've been watching NBA playoff series for many years now and it always amazes me when fans start looking ahead. I expect many will now say the Pacers cannot win this series. But if the Pacers win game #5, everyone will say that the Pacers will win in game #6. No one knows what is going to happen.

    There are so many twists and turns in a playoff series that people just need to think of each game as a completely separate series.

    These two teams are even, so there are going to be wild swings from game to game. Blowouts both ways.


    Don't be surprised if Pacers win game 5, lose game 6, and win game 7.

  11. #61

    Default Re: A Few Thoughts on Where Things Seem to be Going

    This is what happens when fans look ahead. We were cheering like rookies.

  12. #62
    pb777
    Guest

    Default Re: A Few Thoughts on Where Things Seem to be Going

    Thanks for starting this thread JINXY

  13. #63

    Default Re: A Few Thoughts on Where Things Seem to be Going

    I like how all of the jinx threads are started by people who aren't pacers fans...
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

  14. #64
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Frankfort, IN
    Posts
    9,136

    Default Re: A Few Thoughts on Where Things Seem to be Going

    Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I like how all of the jinx threads are started by people who aren't pacers fans...
    Yeah - I was thinking about this thread last night too. Though I don't take it back - the Pacers didn't lose last night because of what players they did or didn't put on the floor.

    It was more like someone sprinkle queludes (sp?) in the gatorade.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

  15. #65
    Member RWB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,346

    Default Re: A Few Thoughts on Where Things Seem to be Going

    Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It was more like someone sprinkle queludes (sp?) in the gatorade.
    Meth is the big thing right now Rim.

  16. #66
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Frankfort, IN
    Posts
    9,136

    Default Re: A Few Thoughts on Where Things Seem to be Going

    Quote Originally Posted by RWB
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Meth is the big thing right now Rim.
    That would have given them energy. I sort of eliminated any "uppers" from contention.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

  17. #67
    Member RWB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,346

    Default Re: A Few Thoughts on Where Things Seem to be Going

    Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That would have given them energy. I sort of eliminated any "uppers" from contention.
    So true, so true

  18. #68
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Frankfort, IN
    Posts
    9,136

    Default Re: A Few Thoughts on Where Things Seem to be Going

    I don't normally bump threads but I read the first post in this one and felt a moment of pride.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

  19. #69

    Default Re: A Few Thoughts on Where Things Seem to be Going

    it's still so early. i would feel a lot better with a game 4 win.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "It's a league game, Smokey"

  20. #70
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Frankfort, IN
    Posts
    9,136

    Default Re: A Few Thoughts on Where Things Seem to be Going

    Quote Originally Posted by abington
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    it's still so early. i would feel a lot better with a game 4 win.
    Well, the REAL reason I posted this is because last time I threw it in after a big Game 3 win, you lost 4, won 5, lost 6, then won the series ...

    Though that's already pre-determined based on the Law of Prime Numbers.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

  21. #71

    Default Re: A Few Thoughts on Where Things Seem to be Going

    Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't normally bump threads but I read the first post in this one and felt a moment of pride.
    Deservedly so!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •