Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 71

Thread: A Few Thoughts on Where Things Seem to be Going

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Frankfort, IN
    Posts
    9,136

    Default A Few Thoughts on Where Things Seem to be Going

    This is where it gets interesting. I don't know exactly where the Pacers are going these playoffs, but the rest of the league - even Pacers fans - seem to be overlooking them. I'm sure that's just the way Carlisle, Bird and Walsh like it.

    You're missing Artest for the playoffs - that's a given.

    So?

    All indications are that Tinsley's coming back soon. A lot of guys are beat up some - but every team's beat up some. JO's back to being effective, Jax has been impressive as long as the knee holds up, Reggie's been unbelievable ... and here's what I keep coming back to.

    You may go into the Detroit series closer to full strength than you've been all season.

    At the start of the season you were missing Reggie, Foster and, IIRC, Pollard. At various times you've been missing half your lineup.

    You're in the playoffs - more rest between games. You're in the playoffs - longer TO's so you can shorten your bench.

    I don't think anyone in the league realizes this but IMO, you get Tinsley back at anything approaching full strength, if SJax and JO are on their game and Reggie keeps it up, if Pollard, DD and Foster stay effective, if JJ, AJ and Freddie have their games working, and I think you could put the best team you've had all season on the floor vs Detroit.

    Look at it this way - from a team standpoint, would you trade Reggie, Foster, Pollard, AJ's radically improved play and JJ's and Freddie's improved play (the last three all due to suspensions & injuries) for Artest? Which team's better - the one that took the floor November 19 or this one? JJ and Freddie were supposed to be scrubs this year. AJ was just the guy you put on the floor for 15 minutes and hoped he didn't screw up too bad. They aren't those players any more - and you didn't have Dale Davis. You're ten quality players deep - and Gill and AC are nothing to be ashamed of at 11 and 12.

    It really seems like it's coming together for you guys - and I don't think anyone has a clue this is happening - including Detroit. Think about it for a bit. Work through your lineup - the quality at the top, the size, the depth, the number of players who've shown they can be counted on when it matters this season. The more I think about it the more I think you have a solid shot to be playing for quite some time yet.

    I have a feeling I'm about to watch a very interesting thing unfold. I think I'll just strap in and enjoy the ride.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

  2. #2
    Banned PacerMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,132

    Default Re: A Few Thoughts on Where Things Seem to be Going

    Sounds good........... but you're way off base. Jermaine is one good whack/fall/block away from being out again. IF Tinsley comes back we'll be lucky if he can go 10 minutes, and if he can guard anybody in the NBA with a bum foot after 2 months layoff. Foster nor Freddie nor Pollard are going to heal during the playoffs.We are a TEAM of walking wounded, and that's not going to change in the next few weeks.
    Sure enjoying the ride so far.
    But it will come to an end.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    1,085

    Wink Re: A Few Thoughts on Where Things Seem to be Going

    Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    At the start of the season you were missing Reggie, Foster and, IIRC, Pollard. At various times you've been missing half your lineup.
    It was AJ (with a broken hand, like Reggie) missing at the beginning, not Pollard.

  4. #4
    Huge Member heywoode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Indiana
    Age
    46
    Posts
    6,334

    Default Re: A Few Thoughts on Where Things Seem to be Going

    Great post....

    I still have to say that feeling very positive for very long has been a frustrating habit this season. Plus, the beatdown we took in Game 1 still has me twitching, knowing that THAT team could take the floor on any given night as well.

    Hey, nobody wants to ride the ride you're talking about more than me, especially with the added theater of the season from hell that the entire world watched happen....

    I'm making myself be a glass is half full guy, just because of posts like yours...You need to talk to the team right before tipoff tomorrow night!

  5. #5
    NotLosingButWinning
    Guest

    Default Re: A Few Thoughts on Where Things Seem to be Going

    good post but we still have 2 games to win this series.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Frankfort, IN
    Posts
    9,136

    Default Re: A Few Thoughts on Where Things Seem to be Going

    Quote Originally Posted by Bat Boy
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It was AJ (with a broken hand, like Reggie) missing at the beginning, not Pollard.
    Pretty sure Pollard was out - maybe not right from game one but most of the start of the season - with a bad back. Forgot about AJ.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    1,085

    Default Re: A Few Thoughts on Where Things Seem to be Going

    Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Which team's better - the one that took the floor November 19 or this one?
    The one that took the floor November 19 -- and blew out the world champs on their home court while missing 3 of its top 6 players -- was better. You are absolutely correct that this team has the chance of being the best it has been since then, but in terms of matchups with Detroit having RA in the lineup is more advantageous than having Reggie, AJ, and Jeff back. I will be delighted to be proved wrong!

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Frankfort, IN
    Posts
    9,136

    Default Re: A Few Thoughts on Where Things Seem to be Going

    Quote Originally Posted by NotLosingButWinning
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    good post but we still have 2 games to win this series.
    I've thought you'd beat the Celtics from day 1 (though last Saturday gave me a few moments of doubt). I see no reason to change my mind now. I just find it interesting that it seems as if everyone's saying, "Well, you might get by the Celtics. That's nice for you after what you've had to go through this year. Nice for Reggie too. But no way you get past Detroit - heck, they won 12 of 13 going into the playoffs."

    I don't think it's that simple - and what team kept them from making it 13 of 13? And when I really started looking at your lineup - how many teams have 12 players on their roster who played significant IMPORTANT minutes during the season? How many teams have 6 players 6-10 or bigger? How many teams can D up that way?

    I don't usually get mystical about this kind of stuff but things seem to finally be turning your way - and old Mo's a funny companion.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Frankfort, IN
    Posts
    9,136

    Default Re: A Few Thoughts on Where Things Seem to be Going

    Quote Originally Posted by Bat Boy
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The one that took the floor November 19 -- and blew out the world champs on their home court while missing 3 of its top 6 players -- was better.
    As opposed to the team that took the floor March 25 and blew out the world champs on their home court while missing Jermaine O'Neal and Jamal Tinsley?
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    South Side
    Posts
    4,177

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: A Few Thoughts on Where Things Seem to be Going

    Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've thought you'd beat the Celtics from day 1 (though last Saturday gave me a few moments of doubt). I see no reason to change my mind now. I just find it interesting that it seems as if everyone's saying, "Well, you might get by the Celtics. That's nice for you after what you've had to go through this year. Nice for Reggie too. But no way you get past Detroit - heck, they won 12 of 13 going into the playoffs."

    I don't think it's that simple - and what team kept them from making it 13 of 13? And when I really started looking at your lineup - how many teams have 12 players on their roster who played significant IMPORTANT minutes during the season? How many teams have 6 players 6-10 or bigger? How many teams can D up that way?

    I don't usually get mystical about this kind of stuff but things seem to finally be turning your way - and old Mo's a funny companion.
    Well, actually the Pistons won 11 of 12 ending the season, and Charlotte beat them on the final day. And Dallas at home was the final loss before they won 11 straight.

    Now, it is true that the Pacers and Celtics series is over. It's a foregone conclusion that the Pacers will advance, definitely moreso than the Pistons IMO.

  11. #11
    Pacers fan in FL Deadshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    FLORIDA
    Posts
    1,936

    Default Re: A Few Thoughts on Where Things Seem to be Going

    Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pretty sure Pollard was out - maybe not right from game one but most of the start of the season - with a bad back. Forgot about AJ.
    You are correct - Pollard was out as well. If you will think back, he was wearing a suit on the night of the brawl.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Frankfort, IN
    Posts
    9,136

    Default Re: A Few Thoughts on Where Things Seem to be Going

    Quote Originally Posted by shags
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, actually the Pistons won 11 of 12 ending the season, and Charlotte beat them on the final day. And Dallas at home was the final loss before they won 11 straight.
    Yeah - saw that when I checked the score of the last Pacer game. That's what happens when I post on the fly. And it sounded so good when I typed it too.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

  13. #13
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,629

    Default Re: A Few Thoughts on Where Things Seem to be Going

    Quote Originally Posted by Bat Boy
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The one that took the floor November 19 -- and blew out the world champs on their home court while missing 3 of its top 6 players -- was better. You are absolutely correct that this team has the chance of being the best it has been since then, but in terms of matchups with Detroit having RA in the lineup is more advantageous than having Reggie, AJ, and Jeff back. I will be delighted to be proved wrong!
    I don't think RA is a huge difference maker against Detroit. He's only so-so guarding Rip. Jax is probably a better match up there.

    Same with Miami. Wade's not the ideal match up for Ron.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  14. #14
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: A Few Thoughts on Where Things Seem to be Going

    I want to believe what DK is saying. But I don't.

  15. #15
    Pacers fan in FL Deadshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    FLORIDA
    Posts
    1,936

    Default Re: A Few Thoughts on Where Things Seem to be Going

    Hicks is right - what DK is saying could be true, but there were a lot of IF statements in that post. I'm not trying to be pessimistic, but looking at this from a realistic view, not everything will go as we want it to. Remember when Tinsley came back vs. Orlando this year? He was limping off to the locker room by the second half.

    Regardless, I like the enthusiasm, and that is one thing this board lacks from time to time - nice post!

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Frankfort, IN
    Posts
    9,136

    Default Re: A Few Thoughts on Where Things Seem to be Going

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I want to believe what DK is saying. But I don't.
    Nobody does - and I find it almost hilarious.

    Which lineup would you rather have?

    PG - Tinsley
    SG - Jackson
    SF - Artest
    PF - Croshere
    C - Pollard

    Bench: F. Jones, Bender, Gill Harrison

    or

    PG - Tinsley
    SG - Miller
    SF - Jackson
    PF - O'Neal
    C - Davis

    Bench: Johnson, F. Jones, J. Jones, Foster, Pollard, Croshere, Gill

    Those are the lineups between your first game of the season (including the reserves who played) and who you'd have when Tinsley's back. Then when you look at how much the first three bench guys have elevated their games to go with adding Reggie and Dale - I just find it strange that everybody's written you off.

    I don't see it that way. Not saying you'll beat Detroit but there's no way it's anything close to a walkover either - especially if you can close Boston out early and get another few days of rest.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

  17. #17
    Pacers fan in FL Deadshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    FLORIDA
    Posts
    1,936

    Default Re: A Few Thoughts on Where Things Seem to be Going

    Of course the second lineup looks awesome - but we were still 7-2 on November 19th.

  18. #18
    ENABEABLER MagicRat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,823

    Default Re: A Few Thoughts on Where Things Seem to be Going

    Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nobody does - and I find it almost hilarious.
    I'm with you........

    Clark Kellogg was on the JMV show this afternoon and he said he thought Pacers fans were going to be in for some pleasant surprises in the next couple of weeks......
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

  19. #19
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,767

    Default Re: A Few Thoughts on Where Things Seem to be Going

    Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Look at it this way - from a team standpoint, would you trade Reggie, Foster, Pollard, AJ's radically improved play and JJ's and Freddie's improved play (the last three all due to suspensions & injuries) for Artest?
    What you talkin bout.


























    I'm not looking past tomorrow night. if anyone thinks they know who is going to win game #4, they are delusional. Yes all the signs point to the Pacers winning the game, and those are the situations that make me most nervous.

    I refuse to look beyond tomorrow night.


    Two things I want to say.

    As I watch all these series, a couple of things are obvious
    1) You have to win the games you can win. Look at the Grizzlies, they easily could have won game #2 in Phoenix, I'm sure they were thinking well we'll go home and get a win. But they get blown out tonight
    2) if the teams are close to even the road team will have a good chance to win one of the two road games. Meaning Pacers had a chance to win game #2 and that did. Celts did not have a chance at the end to win game #3, but I think game #4 they will have a chance in the 4th quarter

    I hate it when fans get over confident

  20. #20
    Member indytoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,503

    Default Re: A Few Thoughts on Where Things Seem to be Going

    You might have a point if you weren't heavily overestimating how healthy we are here... JO is effective but he can be easily stopped by a team with a good post defense. Jackson doesn't seem to be showing too many ill effects from his injury, but more playing time could aggravate it further. There's no reason to believe Tinsley will be anything close to full strength when he comes back, he could hurt us just as likely as he could help. Dale, Pollard and Foster are all varying degrees of banged up and only look as good as they do cuz they're playing a soft Celtic team. Fred and Croshere are complete offensive liabilities - and defensive, in Cro's case. The only three players remotely healthy are Reggie, AJ and J Jones (Gill seems to have been dropped out of the rotation so he doesn't count). This team is on its last legs.

    IndyToad
    Underline all the answers

  21. #21
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,082

    Default Re: A Few Thoughts on Where Things Seem to be Going

    Six guys 6' 10" or more?

    Pollard
    Foster
    JO
    Cro
    Dale

    Who's the sixth?

  22. #22
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,620

    Default Re: A Few Thoughts on Where Things Seem to be Going

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What you talkin bout.


























    I'm not looking past tomorrow night. if anyone thinks they know who is going to win game #4, they are delusional. Yes all the signs point to the Pacers winning the game, and those are the situations that make me most nervous.

    I refuse to look beyond tomorrow night.


    Two things I want to say.

    As I watch all these series, a couple of things are obvious
    1) You have to win the games you can win. Look at the Grizzlies, they easily could have won game #2 in Phoenix, I'm sure they were thinking well we'll go home and get a win. But they get blown out tonight
    2) if the teams are close to even the road team will have a good chance to win one of the two road games. Meaning Pacers had a chance to win game #2 and that did. Celts did not have a chance at the end to win game #3, but I think game #4 they will have a chance in the 4th quarter

    I hate it when fans get over confident

    In fairness there is NO over confidence going on in Pacerland. If anything there is a huge lack of confidence going into this series or any series this season.

    How many have already written the epitath of the season? How many even already said that even if we do somehow beat the Celtics we are 4 & done the next round.

    I'm not saying we are in for a title run, but I don't think it's out of the question like some others either.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  23. #23
    Harmonica
    Guest

    Default Re: A Few Thoughts on Where Things Seem to be Going

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In fairness there is NO over confidence going on in Pacerland. If anything there is a huge lack of confidence going into this series or any series this season.

    How many have already written the epitath of the season? How many even already said that even if we do somehow beat the Celtics we are 4 & done the next round.

    I'm not saying we are in for a title run, but I don't think it's out of the question like some others either.
    Agree with everything you said.

    Hey Peck, do you realize if we get out of this round, it'll be further than we ever got with Brad on the team?

    Sorry, couldn't resist. It'll only get worse if we actually do advance.

  24. #24
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,767

    Default Re: A Few Thoughts on Where Things Seem to be Going

    Quote Originally Posted by Doug
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think RA is a huge difference maker against Detroit. He's only so-so guarding Rip. Jax is probably a better match up there.

    Same with Miami. Wade's not the ideal match up for Ron.


    Doug, haven't you watched Prince lately. Pacers need Artest to keep him under control. He is now a major force offensively

  25. #25
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,620

    Default Re: A Few Thoughts on Where Things Seem to be Going

    Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agree with everything you said.

    Hey Peck, do you realize if we get out of this round, it'll be further than we ever got with Brad on the team?

    Sorry, couldn't resist. It'll only get worse if we actually do advance.
    Hmmm.... ironically it's also further than the team got under the Isiah Thomas coaching regime.

    I guess ole buggeyes isn't infallible after all


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •