Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Indycar 2016 Season Thread

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Indycar 2016 Season Thread

60% chance of rain now.

Luckily I am sitting under the terrace so it shouldn't be too bad even if it rains a little. Just annoying waiting for them to dry the track.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Never thought I'd see the infield sold out. I have to wonder if it really sold out or if they decided at this late date to hit a certain number and call it sold out for the PR? The only problem with that theory is you'd think they'd wait until Friday to make the announcement, selling more tickets along the way, rather than to do it now.

Of course there's always the possibility they will now 'decide' to make more tickets available and announce it Friday....

But real or massaged, there's no way it happens unless ticket sales were STRONG.

One thing I would caution people against is expecting no aluminum this year. I suspect scalpers gambled and gobbled up some tickets for this year thinking business would be good on the secondary ticket market. Which still might be true, but leaves open the possibility of seats that IMS sold remaining unused if the scalpers can't move the tickets.
    Some forecasts say 89 degrees for the high. I fully expect aluminum to be seen at some point in the stands.

60% chance of rain now.

Luckily I am sitting under the terrace so it shouldn't be too bad even if it rains a little. Just annoying waiting for them to dry the track.
    It sounds like it's going to be one of those days where it's raining on the airport and skies are clear at the track, at least until 3 or so. That should get the race in.
    Last edited by Sandman21; 05-26-2016 at 12:34 AM.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    Some forecasts say 89 degrees for the high. I fully expect aluminum to be seen at some point in the stands.
    I know I won't spend the entire race in my seats. Watch the first 25 or so laps, wander around the infield for awhile, watch the last 50 or so laps. I'll watch the full race on TV when I get home.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

There's a difference between "event is sold out and some people are inevitably wandering around at all times" aluminum and "massive patches because they couldn't sell all the seats" aluminum. Pretty easy to tell the difference.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Ticket prices from scalpers are pretty salty right now.
    StubHub has several tickets and some are reasonable for regular seats. And some are cRaZee!! No way anyone is paying 9000.00+ for some of those.
    Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

I've been getting my iRacing.com 50 lap Indy runs in this week. Just managed a 4th... in case they need me to sub for someone...
    Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

I've seen nothing to make me anything less than stoked for Sunday! The crowds today looked excellent on NBCSN. All the teams took today very seriously and practiced race setups and race conditions. No recon lap for a leak check and then a quick, clean few laps for a shot at fast time and then parking them today.

The Freedom 100 was tight racing itself.

The only real negative I saw today was Pippa Mann putting it in the wall. That has caused a question between a buddy and me because we had a crash over/under on Pippa and I put her crashing on the first lap of the race. He said I win!
    And I tell you... I'm still questioning if she really had a failure on her car last weekend causing her first wreck. I thought it looked pretty clear from television nothing visible was broken on her rear wing prior to the crash. Indycar did issue a notice to teams to check those rear wing end pieces but I'm left wondering if they just erred on the side of caution and based that off of Pippa's team claiming that was what the problem was. Whether they didn't want their driver losing confidence or didn't want the public/sponsor to think she just crashed of her own doing on a clean track.... But I don't know... Just curious... And today didn't make me any less curious.

But whatever... Let's go racin'!

In other race questions... Does anyone know if Track Scan (Yellow) has a booth anywhere around IMS (inside or outside of) or if they are even still in business? It appears RE (Red) now has the IMS contract, or else there simply is no longer a Track Scan in the first place. At least that is how it appeared last year.... Just curious if it will be the same this year? I have an RE Scanner but my buddy uses my Track Scan scanner. Both load programming OTA. But if there's not a Track Scan to broadcast the driver freq programming then that feature won't do much good. I think maybe RE would program TS for a fee last year... but not sure... The programming last year was so close he just lived with a few wrong driver names from the previous year.

------

-John Wooden

Might be a little late to plan something this weekend but I'd like give a heads up for the 2017 race.

We should have a little get together at sometime Friday or Saturday next year.

I'll bring this up again early in the next season to see if there's any interest and if schedules might work out.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jose Slaughter For This Useful Post:

So, am I the only survivor or is everyone still trying to leave the track ?

Great, GREAT race, and IMS Staff was as outstanding getting everyone as they could have been. I even saw Mark Miles himself at 6:20 AM at the north gate watching traffic flow in. Well done to Mr. Boies and his team.

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

The crowd was obviously considerably bigger than in recent years, but I sat in the South Vista and the bottom five rows or so were completely empty. This is hundreds and hundreds of seats that we're talking about here. I knew people who were calling IMS in recent weeks to get tickets but were told that they were sold out. Well they weren't all sold out - IMS was just refusing to sell all the tickets because the "every seat is sold out for the 100th running!!!" thing sounded good and built hype.

As I kind of suspected all along, the "every single seat is sold out" thing was a bit of a PR scam to build up hype for the event and also make people eager to renew for next year so that they don't worry about being left out.

Weird race with TK, Newgarden, and Munoz all having to pit at the end. Don't remember a finish quite like that.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 05-30-2016 at 10:37 AM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    The crowd was obviously considerably bigger than in recent years, but I sat in the South Vista and the bottom five rows or so were completely empty. This is hundreds and hundreds of seats that we're talking about here. I knew people who were calling IMS in recent weeks to get tickets but were told that they were sold out. Well they weren't all sold out - IMS was just refusing to sell all the tickets because the "every seat is sold out for the 100th running!!!" thing sounded good and built hype.
    Those seats are not sold for safety reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    Those seats are not sold for safety reasons.
    Why? All of the other lower seats are sold. Was it originally "safety reasons", or was it saving face because of reduced sales?

Why? All of the other lower seats are sold. Was it originally "safety reasons", or was it saving face because of reduced sales?
    IIRC, parts from a crash got into those seats a few years back.

I still haven't collected my thoughts about this Indy 500. As far as the ending goes, in the moment it was pretty exciting. Especially if you had a scanner and had some idea of the strategy being played out and how worried they were he could make it. But then in hindsight, particularly after all the great racing in practice this year and even in almost all stages of the race, having the winner win with a sub 180MPH lap is rather anti-climatic. Fortunately, Rossi had been pretty good and fast all month, and he has plenty of open wheel experience, so hopefully this doesn't prove to be some kind of fluke. Indycar needs for him to be up front the rest of the season in contention to keep this win looking legitimate.
    He's an experienced open wheel driver, with good equipment and on a solid team, who fell into a fuel strategy run and it won the race for him. That might sit differently in history if it had been a one off team managing to outfox everyone else and pull that off and be a real underdog win. But it's Team Andretti. And Herta. Both with Indy 500 wins in their recenty history as team owners.

Early in the race I guess Rossi's team messed up a couple of pit stops. After the second one he got on the radio to ask them what happened and they told him they had trouble connecting (I assumed fuel or air to lift car and reading news today it appears it was fuel). He was pretty frustrated and said "That's TWICE....". They replied with an apology and told him "we owe you one". Well, I guess in the end they paid him back with interest for blowing those 2 stops.

More scanner stuff... When Hildebrand got into the back of Helio and broke his Kardashian, and then Hiro... I mean Taku put the 14 car in the wall getting Helio a lucky and needed yellow, he pitted and got a new Kardashian put on. So he pitted under yellow with everyone else but just had a longer stop for the repair. They sent him back out but had him come back in to top off... telling him "It's OK. You won't need to stop again and everyone else will need one more stop".
    So when I saw Helio fall into line and ride around at 14th or so I was just SURE he was playing the fuel game and was going to be the one to be in the cat's bird seat on the closing laps. And to further that I had my scanner scanning through channels and heard several teams talking about needing one more stop or splash and goes as the laps ticked off.
    Imagine my surprise when Helio pulled in. I'm still not sure what was up with that. Did they just tell him he didn't need a stop to keep his confidence and spirit up so he could maintain focus after being in the mix? Did they assume there'd be a yellow and THEN he wouldn't need to stop because he'd save enough under yellow to not need to stop while other teams still needed to stop? Did they just get cold feet? I didn't ever hear them telling Helio to save fuel (which I just assumed he was doing) or him complaining about strategy though I could've missed it (and Lord knows nobody can imagine the stuff ABC misses or fails to tell us). So maybe he balked at trying to save any fuel, but then that doesn't explain him riding around in the teens rather than trying to get back to the front.
    EDIT: I need to add to this part... I'm still confused about this. It still seems like a mistake on the Penske team. The point being that Helio should've been saving fuel. He had the last stop of anyone in that round of stops. IIRC Rossi managed 36 laps since his last stop for his Honda. Helio only had to manage 35 laps with the Chevy. I have no idea what the fuel mileage differences are between the Chevy and Honda but I'm still surprised the Captain didn't opt for Helio staying out on a fuel saving run himself. Arguably, you could say that Rossi had too much of a gap on Helio (which is a guess at this point) so no use risking running out of fuel when the win was off the table anyway, but that neglects something: There was no guarantee Rossi makes it. So Penske could've been gambling for at least 2nd, with a chance at first even if they assume Rossi can make it. But by pulling in from the teens, he pretty much guaranteed he'd be the 2nd tier of finishers with them all stopping. Which only makes sense to me if you KNOW you can't make it on fuel. But it seems weird to 'know' that unless they simply never went into a fuel conservation strategy that basically should've fallen into their laps with that broken Kardashian needing replaced and the yellow and being back in the line because of it and able to make the 2nd stop under yellow to top of (as they did).

Meanwhile, Rossi's team was on him to "Clutch and coast" before the white flag lap even. And they were watching 2nd place intently just trying to maintain a gap and reporting his half lap lead. Then got a little worried on the backstretch it appears and told him to "Gas it!"... only to tell him to "Clutch it!!" (which ABC didn't catch at all) on the front stretch heading to the checkers.
    I'm a little confused about the 'clutch it' on the front stretch.... What difference would it have made to run out and coast versus just clutching and coasting? Is there a rule about needing to finish with the engine running? Or were they wanting him to save the last drops for a last gap blip of gas if Munoz closed quicker than they expected?

Also heard Newgarden complaining about Bell "chopping". Which caused me to focus more on Bell, and also pay attention on the race replay. And Newgarden was right.... Bell isn't exactly the cleanest driver out there. With all the leapfrogging going on there's not much reason to not give a car plenty room and just let them go, especially in the first half or 2/3rds of the race. And especially when you have a car that's capable of getting it back in a lap anyway. But Bell constantly threw little blocks and gave little room when being passed on the inside. It's really no wonder he and Sage touched when Sage went to the outside... because even though Sage had his nose in front heading into the corner, you had to be pretty optimistic to think Bell would give up that spot no matter how early in the race, and no matter how easy it was for Bell to pass cars back and stay in the mix up front.

Which means I wasn't surprised when Bell ended up in that pitstop scrum either. Although I'm not sure how much of that is on him and how much on the team sending him. I need to rewatch to see if he stepped out any leading to a car control issue being at the root of that.

As for the crowd... clearly more people than in a long, long time. For one thing, IMS removed bleachers on the tower terrace, pit in side, several years back. Well, this year they put folding chairs back in their place. And those were filled. And in years past, even the bleachers that were left weren't filled too well. Not a problem this year.

So they definitely added seats for this year to sell. Which makes Sollozzo's observation of empty aluminum a question of if IMS decided not to sell those seats for some reason or if there's a scalper somewhere that owned those blocks of tickets who didn't move them. Doubt we're ever going to truly know the answer to that. I noticed on TV some blocks of empty areas on bleachers in lower spots in corner areas. I couldn't tell if they even had bleachers/seats there or not... making me wonder if there was a safety issue behind them being unsold.... whether they might be in some prime debris field or something. It seemed weird how perfectly empty those areas were. Like a perfect rectangle of empty. I can't imagine IMS not selling any tickets in those areas just by pure luck, so either they had to be blocked off intentionally, or were sold in blocks to people who didn't come (and that has scalper scenario written all over it in that case).

I too am skeptical of this actually being a 'sellout'... although moreso for the infield. I'm just surprised there was any number that would reasonably be possible to be hit that would be deemed a 'sellout'. But my problem with that theory is why would they go to it prematurely for PR purposes versus waiting until at least Carb Day to try and legitimately sell as many as possible before claiming an infield sellout?

So.... It was fun while it lasted. Not the last lap shootout we expected. And truthfully, maybe it's better it wasn't a last lap shootout since those are starting to appear a little manufactured anyway with these cars and their drafting ability anyway.

Other thoughts... TK seemed a little too happy. I almost wonder if he's made his mind up about retirement? Kind of a random thought there but it just hit me the way he was after the race (and knowing the subject of his impending retirement is not unheard of)...
    Indycar seems to have fixed the flying car problem with a spinning car getting airborne when it turns around. That makes me think they will move to tease the record next year and certainly plan to break it within a couple to keep moving the needle forward.
    IMS might want to consider the promotion they did this year and keep it as a regular thing. Also, the downtown events, the JW's signage etc. all positive... They need to work closer with city leaders and businesses on making the Indy 500 Indianapolis' "Super Bowl" every year. Maybe even throughout the state... but certainly in Indy. It should be treated just as if it was at least a Final Four in town... and something closer to a SB IMHO. I think we've tended to take it for granted in that way in year's past. It's time to step back from that and look at it from a different angle.
    Last edited by Bball; 05-30-2016 at 06:41 PM.

------

-John Wooden

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Agreed, Bball. The infield had a lot of people, but in no way shape or form was it "full". The correct way to describe this is that it's the first time the Speedway decided the event was sold out. They decided to stop selling admission because running with the "holy crap, the Indy 500 is sold out for the first time ever!" Story was more beneficial to them than a few thousand extra people. This was largely a PR scam to build hype.

My problem with the "sellout" term is that it implies to the layperson that it's the biggest 500 crowd ever. This still has to be at least 50K less and maybe even closer to 100K less than what they were getting in the 80's and early 90's. They used to have all of that permanent infield seating which was demolished for the F1 track and to save face for decreased attendance. Also, you used to have an absolutely packed infield before Tony George decided to kick the riff raff out. What a moronic move that was. This event easily used to get over 400k.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Rossi is from Nevada City, CA? Was just up there a month ago, neat little town that people wouldn't expect to be in California.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Met some interesting people at the track this year, including this 83 year old guy from North Carolina that has been to 53 Indy 500's.

Fun race as usual, not sure how many more I will be attending in the near future though. We have six great tickets in my family, but my younger cousins are starting to age in and my grandpa is starting to get old. Would like them to be able to have to attended with him.

Also, you used to have an absolutely packed infield before Tony George decided to kick the riff raff out. What a moronic move that was.
    I've long wondered if this move hurt Pole Day attendance as much or more than the split actually did? I attended several pole days 'back in the day' when attendance was huge and you had the massive party inside turn 4. And I watched as TG pressed to make the entire month/event more "family friendly" and how the bar changed on alcohol offenses... From 'just behave and don't hurt yourself or anyone else' to what seemed like just random arrests to make a point. And then compounded it by doing it as the split was about to occur. Historically, a lot of those people came for the party and left race fans eventually. I still remember Jim McKay referring to the Indy 500 as Indianapolis' Mardi Gras.

The "sellout", artificial, massaged or not, might pay dividends in getting people to re-up for tickets though. So if it works, more power to them. I also hope businesses and city leaders, along with IMS, have seen the light both on what promoting the Indy 500 and supporting it looks like as well as just taking it for granted.

People from all over the world attending. Television all over the world. Sold out hotels. What an opportunity to market Indpls and Indiana in general to the nation and world.
    People need to put this in perspective of a Final Four or Super Bowl which cities go out and bid for just to have them once in a blue moon (unless you're Miami)... Yet Indpls has this every year.
    Hopefully, this positive momentum will remain as we go forward and nobody takes this event for granted ever again (be it fans, casual fans, residents, state, city, businesses, hotels, bars, OR IMS itself).

------

-John Wooden

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    I've long wondered if this move hurt Pole Day attendance as much or more than the split actually did? I attended several pole days 'back in the day' when attendance was huge and you had the massive party inside turn 4. And I watched as TG pressed to make the entire month/event more "family friendly" and how the bar changed on alcohol offenses... From 'just behave and don't hurt yourself or anyone else' to what seemed like just random arrests to make a point. And then compounded it by doing it as the split was about to occur. Historically, a lot of those people came for the party and left race fans eventually. I still remember Jim McKay referring to the Indy 500 as Indianapolis' Mardi Gras.

The "sellout", artificial, massaged or not, might pay dividends in getting people to re-up for tickets though. So if it works, more power to them. I also hope businesses and city leaders, along with IMS, have seen the light both on what promoting the Indy 500 and supporting it looks like as well as just taking it for granted.

People from all over the world attending. Television all over the world. Sold out hotels. What an opportunity to market Indpls and Indiana in general to the nation and world.
    People need to put this in perspective of a Final Four or Super Bowl which cities go out and bid for just to have them once in a blue moon (unless you're Miami)... Yet Indpls has this every year.
    Hopefully, this positive momentum will remain as we go forward and nobody takes this event for granted ever again (be it fans, casual fans, residents, state, city, businesses, hotels, bars, OR IMS itself).
    TG killed:

1) The quality of cars and innovation
    2) The real drivers.
    3) The party status that made young people from all over the region flock to it
    4) Month long big event status.

It would be impossible to find a dumber executive in the history of business. His one task was to not screw up the Indy 500, i.e. enhance the facilities and watch the money pour in.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Okay so now that we got 100 years of history out the way, its time for IMS to really innovate this thing into the 21st century. This race only got a 3.8 rating nationally on TV. That is terrible for such a huge event. Its embarrassing. But what do you expect considering this race started at 9 AM on the west coast time zones? Say that wha???

The 101st running I'd like to see the following improvements.
    Make it a prime time event. Sunday night at 8PM locally. Make this the freaking Super Bowl of summer. This is the largest attended sporting event in the world, even during its down years. Treat it like its a BIG ****ing deal. Add the needed lights to the race track and lets make this a night race going forward. People are so busy during the day on Sunday, they don't have time to spend 3-4 hours watching this race. You have to make a prime time event. The entire Indycar series relies on this event to even exist, yet they schedule this event at a time where nobody is even home to watch, why would they tune into the other dozen or so Indycar races if your main event is in the middle of the day and not a prime time must see TV extravaganza. This is why Indycar has never caught on nationally in the last 30 years. Screw the history and tradition. If it is the Super Bowl or racing, then treat it that way. Go all out. They keep focusing on this damn thing like its a destination event. Come to Indy for the race! They ignore the massive national exposure opportunity to actually grow the Indycar series.

Qualifications need to be 5-6 car shoot outs. 10 laps. I'm so freaking tired of qualification setup vs race setup. These guys need to be racing for pole position.

I love the addition of the road race though. They just haven't done a good job of promoting it.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

There are several cons with making it a night race as well.... Obviously expense of lighting the track is one but I think that is one that will eventually happen anyway because the BY400 might need lighting tried before the fans quit coming entirely.

But also, the 500 is a destination event. Many people drive or fly in for the event. Running it at night removes much of the buffer for getting a rain delay in and finishing the race on Sunday (which is always the IMS preference).

They have monkeyed with the starting time before and moved it to 1PM which IMHO was just enough to receive complaints about ruining 'tradition' and not enough to actually make any real difference in TV ratings.

They seem to like the idea of keeping a window open for 'the double'.... at this point it probably shouldn't even be a consideration IMHO IF IMS was going to make a serious time change with ratings in mind.

But all that said.... We also need to look at the Coke 600 ratings which does run in prime time. Right now, Indy runs 'in the clear' of that competition for viewer eyeballs. And in head to head ratings, Indy beat it anyway, yet the Coke 600 had the primetime slot.
    So I'm not sure Indy gains much by moving to prime time and having the Coke 600 as direct competition. At best, any casual fan gains by being in prime time probably are negated by splitting the viewership amongst the series with them broadcasting at the same time.

A real question might be whether the cooler temps and a disappearing sun would actually increase ticket sales at Indy. Those bleachers look hot if you aren't in covered areas. But you open up he tradition argument, the traveler argument, remove the weather buffer, and put the race in direct competition with the Coke 600.
    Also, we live in a DVR world so maybe the real trick is just making sure west coast people are thoroughly engaged and reminded to record the race to watch on their own schedule.

So put me in the undecided camp for changing the start time. I'd also listen to arguments to move the race day itself. Heck, it's only been on Sunday since the 70's... not since the beginning of the race. Of course now Sunday 'feels' like the only day it should be ran.

As for qualifying.... No qualifying races for me. Unfortunately, I'm ready to say run all qualifications in a day, keep the Fast 9 'made for TV' format and run them from 6PM-7PM and make Sunday a full practice day (instead of what is now Monday).
    The way if you want to see quals and or pole day, there's just one day to it so no confusion or decisions about which day to come. And that final full practice can be ran on a Sunday when people can attend in larger numbers versus Monday.

------

-John Wooden

The 500 can't be a night event. That would completely ruin it. It would look like a tacky NASCRAP race. The race of Ray Harroun, Bill Vukovich, and Rick Mears is not a race that should be run with gaudy lights at night. Not at the sacred Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

The time was never a problem before 1996. Massive ratings nationally. Then Tony George decided to use a treasured national icon as the ultimate bargaining chip in a paranoid power grab. Easily the most idiotic move in the history of sports. When CART didn't bite, he dishonored the men who died at Indy with the 25-8 rule. Instead of the fastest 33, you had dentists and rodeo clowns driving the fabled Indianapolis 500 because guaranteed starting spots were given to joke racers in a rogue Mickey Mouse (literally - Walt Disney World 200) league. This broke the chain of excellence that went back to Ray Harroun in 1911.

The 500 from 1996-1999 was comparable to WNBA players playing in the NBA Finals. Starting in 2000, the real racers and teams came back and started wiping the floor with the wretched IRL swirl, but the damage was done. Millions of fans left and never came back, plus they didn't raise their children as fans. Today you have really solid drivers, which makes it all a shame.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 06-01-2016 at 01:40 PM.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

I just noticed last night via my DVR of the race, ABC MISSED the big flag following the field on the parade lap.
    And they never showed a replay of it either.

For anyone who wasn't at the race, when you watch the telecast they show the cars on the parade lap, then ultimately cut to the pits for what I don't recall (probably general chit chat about tires, track temp expectations, etc). During one of these you hear the crowd roar in the background. That's because there was a truck behind the field on the pace lap that had a huge American flag flowing behind it (parallel to the track) which is something I'd not seen before. I'm not sure when they unfurled it or started with it, and I assume it went around the entire track... but whatever.... ABC missed it entirely. It was a big enough spectacle you'd think they would've shown it as part of the pageantry.

...ABC's camera work was pretty good overall. Especially positioning and angles they had available to them (that doesn't mean they necessarily caught everything they should've/could've). The one camera that was mounted inside the track, fixed position, looking up at the cars was a great speed shot. With the way the cameras normally chase/follow the cars you don't get the true sensation of speed that a fixed shot provides.

Lacking in the telecast as best as I could tell was they seemed to forget not only about Munoz and Newgarden's battle for 2nd in the closing laps but also to keep us abreast of how much (if at all) they were closing on Rossi.

I'm not sure how NBCSN gets coverage so much more correct versus ABC. Perhaps ABC is too interested in cameras and 'human interest stories' versus having the scanners manned pulling out strategy and feeding that info to the commentators. Or perhaps Goodyear and Cheever are just that bad at following it all in real time on their own and churning it into commentary versus the NBCSN booth.
    It's not just a lack of entertainment value, it's a lack of information. A lack of strategy. A lack of truly letting viewers know who's on the move, and why, before it becomes obvious when they crack the top 5 or something.
    I also noticed Bryan Clausen's laps led happened while the race was away at commercial. That was too bad for him and his sponsors. Obviously, it was more of massaging the stops to get those laps led but they would've made a decent story and anything that gives sponsors more airtime is good.

------

-John Wooden

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

ABC apparently stands for Always Broadcasting Commercials.
    That was my take after watching the Duals in Detroit this weekend. They had an uncanny knack for cutting away for commercials regardless of what was happening on the track. Worse, in the side by side they wouldn't cut back to the action even when there was a wreck. Let alone a wreck by one of the contenders. And they seemed to go on forever.

And do they realize how much screen space is wasted? I guess they are trying to do the 2 screen in a 4:3 safe zone but it's time to just pull the plug on 4:3 safe zones and utilize the screen space they have. And maybe think outside of the box on some of the ad sales and make them windowed graphics during the race versus cutaways. And/or let the commentators be pitch men even to keep the cameras and production on the track more than cutting away for canned commercials.

So with that out of the way, Detroit continues its streak of making the race unpredictable. I'm not sure what it is about Detroit that seems to guarantee the obvious winning car won't win. Obviously part of it is the long track and closed pits guaranteeing the early bird gets the worm when it comes to pit stops. And being a bumpy street course, passing is REALLY at a disadvantage in what are essentially matched cars. You don't want to be caught out when a yellow comes out. But it just seems so much worse at Detroit. Perhaps the laps are too short to reshuffle strategy or fight back into anything resembling position once you get hung out.

Of course, since that is obviously the case, Penske and Helio will need to look in the mirror to explain why they didn't pit when the pit window opened for them. If staying on the course and being a lat pitter just put you in the danger zone then pit at the front of the window and minimize laps in the danger zone.

Seabass and Daly made for a surprising podium Saturday. And Will Power was only a surprise since he seemed to be snakebit lately with his teammates stealing his mojo. And it didn't look like it would be his day today either... until suddenly it did look like his day.

And on the subject of these "duals" I'm still confused how we only get one these days (Detroit), and not a couple more. It seems like a no-brainer to give sponsors a little more exposure and 'artificially' add races to the schedule without much promoting effort (at least a no-brainer once it had already happened with IIRC 3 of them originally on the schedule). Toronto seemed liked a perfect other venue.
    Yeah, they are a bit of a gimmick and maybe not something you want to overdo, but OTOH I'm not exactly seeing the drawback versus the reward of more races and more exposure. And expense has to be pretty limited since the haulers don't need to move between two point paying races.
    Last edited by Bball; 06-05-2016 at 10:26 PM.

------

-John Wooden

------

-John Wooden