Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Indycar 2016 Season Thread

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Indycar 2016 Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    IIRC, Mike Conway's accident during the race where he got airborne was the final straw, even though that again was in the North shortchute.
    I wish I had snapped pictures when I was there. People were sitting on them a couple times throughout the race. Could have easily been sold as seats.

Almost forgot about the Conway crash, yet again another hideous airborne accident in this series.

IIRC the Conway crash was the result of a scenario like this last 500... Some cars trying to S T R E T C H the fuel mileage and slowing... Maybe even someone sputtering and Conway, at speed, climbed the back wheel.
    That is one problem with someone not only slowing to make the end of the race and becoming a moving chicane, but being so low on fuel they potentially run out with a faster car looking to get a tow and slingshot them. Run out in that scenario and you have the very real potential of a car launching. The Kardashians don't seem to really be much of an impediment for that even though originally it was said they would be.

In fact, I think Hildebrand's T4 last lap crash was partially because he was running race speeds and came up on Kimball in fuel save mode (if he hadn't already ran out... I'm a little on fuzzy on whether this was ever clarified).

As for Renna, I think it's pretty well known the car, or major pieces of it, got into the stands. But AFAIK they never figured out exactly why he launched.

Flying cars is a major nightmare for any racing series, but especially Indycar with their open cockpits and less protected wheels. Predicting what will happen with a car in an accident when all 4 tires are connecting asphalt is one thing, but all bets are off in the air which just introduces a multitude of variables. Indycar did a great job this season, it appears, getting a handle on that problem (as far as from a spinning car POV... Not sure they have a handle on a car launching over another's rear wheel just yet (but that is also a less common issue). That said, I wonder if the domed skid plate had anything to do with Newgardens car going up on its side? Or was it just the presence of Daly's car pushing it there? Or both?

I still have yet to figure out how this car reached the heights it did...
    https://youtu.be/krAHr5w3unU
    Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

So.... Indy Carb Day attendance > Brickyard 400 attendance?
    Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    It's amazing how far this even has fallen. After the split when the 500 was a watered down sham, this event was actually the biggest event at the Speedway for several years. It was massively popular.

Now it's just embarrassing. Winning at Indy still means something to the drivers, but overall NASCRAP has run its course at Indy. It just looks sad to see the grand Speedway have that many empty seats for a race.

In other news, I saw that Tony George is back as chairman of the board of Hulman & Co. Ugh, I knew that weasel would worm his way back in.

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

I only flipped it on for a couple minutes, but it looked like there weren't even enough people there to fill IRP. They should move that stupid race there. At least it would be fun to watch. I loved going to the Busch races out there.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Just read on Indy Star that Target is pulling its Ganassi sponsorship. Between that and the announcement that Tony George is back as chairman of Hulam & Co., it's been a pretty bad week of news for Indy Car. Hopefully TG is just running Clabber Girl or whatever the hell its called.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 07-27-2016 at 02:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Just read on Indy Star that Target is pulling its Ganassi sponsorship.
    I suspect that is more an indictment on the state of Target than Indycar. I know they are staying on in Nascar for 2017 but I bet that is what their contract required and they are gone there too after next year. I could be wrong....

------

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Just read on Indy Star that Target is pulling its Ganassi sponsorship. Between that and the announcement that Tony George is back as chairman of Hulam & Co., it's been a pretty bad week of news for Indy Car. Hopefully TG is just running Clabber Girl or whatever the hell its called.
    He replaced Mari so realistically he's probably not running anything... Just the figurehead at the top that everyone reports to and he says "Good job. Thank you". At this point I'm not sure he'd even be interested in operations except rolling heads if the profits nose dive.

------

-John Wooden

Bryan Clauson airlifted after bad sprint car accident:
    http://www.racer.com/north-american-...lleville-crash

------

-John Wooden

Sprint Car driver Bryan Clauson has been hospitalized following a harrowing accident in the Belleville (Kan.) Midget Nationals USAC midget race.

Clauson was airlifted to a hospital in Lincoln, Neb., following the Saturday night crash. His family has declined to provide an update on his condition.
    Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nas...#storylink=cpy

While I've seen some encouraging 'unofficial' updates none seem to be wholly connected to solid sources. The family declining to provide an update is worrisome (assuming that report is worded accurately). That tends to imply something isn't very good right now and they are hoping/praying it changes and don't want to talk about it right now and would rather stay positive or else have friends and family they want to talk to first to update them. And that's almost always some form of bad news because good news is usually yelled from the rooftop.

EDIT (Update):
    The following statement was released Sunday afternoon by his father, Tim.
    "Bryan was severely injured last night while competing in the Belleville Nationals midget race at Belleville High Banks in Kansas.
    "Bryan was airlifted to Bryan Medical Center West in Lincoln, Nebraska following the accident, where he remains in critical condition and under the care of the medical staff.
    "We appreciate the support of the racing community and are thankful for the outreach we've received. We ask that you continue to respect our privacy as we focus on Bryan."
    - The Clauson Family
    http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/13...lleville-crash
    Last edited by Bball; 08-07-2016 at 04:07 PM.

------

-John Wooden

I have a bad feeling this story isn't going to end well. I hope I am wrong.
    MRN apparently had to retract a report that Bryan had died Sunday. Then reading Tony Stewart's comments following the WG race, everything was past tense. Hopefully neither of those things were due to them being privy to some inside information regarding the prognosis.

------

-John Wooden

Just saw that he passed away. Very sad. This means that two of the drivers who drove in the 2015 Indy 500 just 15 months ago are now deceased (Wilson and Clauson). Terrible.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Just saw the confirmation. Very unfortunate.

EDIT:
    Robin Miller on Bryan Clauson...
    http://www.racer.com/more/viewpoints...-bryan-clauson
    Last edited by Bball; 08-08-2016 at 11:37 AM.

------

-John Wooden

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well, next year's schedule is out, along with news that the Glen is on the Indycar calendar for the next two years already, which means ticket sales must be strong there.....

Oh, and one year from tomorrow, Indycar runs in St Louis. Looks like I'm planning a vacation around that weekend.
    http://www.indycar.com/News/2016/08/...-schedule-2017
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

I like it because it really seems like a solid schedule. Good tracks/partners for Indycar. No Boston's or Brazil's on there that could easily implode. Sure, something could happen anywhere and a track go away, but if it happened with these it would really be a surprise.
    And "Date equity". Also a very good thing.

I'm surprised the "Duals" have mostly went away (Just Detroit now). I don't really understand that. It seemed like a cheap way to increase race count and exposure. So there must be something on the expense side I'm not calculating into the equation.

Personally, I'd still like to see the Kentucky Speedway make another go of it. Probably more for selfish reasons than anything else but it was easy driving distance and if you knew the secrets EASY in and out after the race.

I think it's pretty obvious natural terrain road courses are a big part of the future. Whether that is nationwide or more central US I don't know. Indycar should pump that and not take it for granted. Embrace it.

Edit: Left unsaid but I should've mentioned it... This date equity, solid venues, and early release of the schedule should give drivers and team owners not only more time, but also something solid to present to potential sponsors. There really shouldn't be much if any uncertainty surrounding next season foundationally. Obviously, some seats could change, but overall there should be considerable stability. Although never underestimate Indycar's ability to mess this up and toss some kind of mess into the mix.
    See: Maxim lawsuit against IMS for an example of a potential pitfall that just isn't needed and hopefully IMS didn't drop the ball.
    Last edited by Bball; 08-25-2016 at 06:47 PM.

------

-John Wooden

See: Maxim lawsuit against IMS for an example of a potential pitfall that just isn't needed and hopefully IMS didn't drop the ball.
    I can prove that suit to be ********. Part of the brief accuses IMS of only sending emails about that stupid party to people who bought concert tickets. I have not one but TWO emails from IMS promoting that stupid party, and I only bought GA tickets and a parking pass for the race.

And I'm not the only one who can confirm that.

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    I can prove that suit to be ********. Part of the brief accuses IMS of only sending emails about that stupid party to people who bought concert tickets. I have not one but TWO emails from IMS promoting that stupid party, and I only bought GA tickets and a parking pass for the race.

And I'm not the only one who can confirm that.
    Good.

It just seems like a silly thing for IMS to drop the ball on when it seems like they should be bending over backwards for them.... I'm a ticket holder (Paddock Penthouse) and I had no idea about it. But maybe the emails went to my Spam folder and maybe FB decided I didn't need to see the blurbs on my feed. And also, since I'd have no interest in it, maybe any mentions just went right on past me without registering.
    But, unless something has changed, Steak and Shake are part of the Maxim umbrella. And Steak and Shake have been solid partners from all appearances for RLL Racing. So it would have IMHO behooved IMS to bend over backwards in utilizing free space to advertise the event. Certainly, to not drop the ball on whatever they were contractually bound to do. And, IMO, probably should've went beyond that anyway as long as it was basically free to them. So, put a slide up on the video boards a few times during the month of May. Get a few mentions in over the PA. Make sure it's on any press releases you send out touting Indy parties and events. Pimp it on social media.

And maybe they did.... I hope they did... I hope the lawsuit is baseless and the event was just a bust and they are looking for someone to blame. I just hope IMS did everything they promised to do, and a little more wouldn't have hurt....

I'd hate to see this end up in costing RLL a sponsor. Or creating division with the Letterman part of the racing team or IMS since I'm under the impression he was a factor in bringing Steak and Shake onboard in the first place.

http://www.ibj.com/articles/59997-ma...r-ticket-sales

------

-John Wooden

HOLY **** TEXAS WAS CRAZY!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Great race! Texas fans got their money's worth. Made it worth the wait. Obviously the yellows helped the strategies to fall into place at the end. But that is a good thing.... It wasn't a race designed through the rules to end that way. Instead, it just happened. Back in the old days of IRL pack racing, those type finishes started to pale and lose their luster because they happened nearly every race.

I'm not sure why Dixon was getting so racy towards the end. I'm surprised he didn't just let Ed and James sort it out. Dixon was basically out of it at that point. I suspect that contact was what eventually ended Ed's race. And it's understandable why Ed wanted to fight for his position on the track at that point. And importantly, I think it was Dixon's fault. Too aggressive considering his position in the standings relative to Ed and the laps left, and it looked to me like he initiated the contact. The only thing that I thought Ed could be blamed for was not giving him more room. Except we were at a point where Ed couldn't afford to give a lapper that position with P1 just ahead.

------

-John Wooden

Congrats to Simon Pagenaud on his Indycar championship. Very deserved. And a nice payback to Penske for last year's growing pains hiring him away from SP...

Also, congrats to Newgarden on the new Penske ride that is all be officially announced now. Again, well deserved.

Now the chips should start falling into place for Montoya, Rossi, Munoz, TK, Sato, Daly and the other's that will be playing musical chairs. Hilderbrand, Karam, and Enerson are all probably trying to get into the frame as well.

------

-John Wooden

I'd like to see Karam get back in. He kind of reminds me of a young Tom Sneva.