Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Indycar 2016 Season Thread

Default Indycar 2016 Season Thread

This weekend marks the return of Indycar racing with the season opening race at St Pete. Again, Chevy is at the front. Honda, while claiming to make improvements to its aerokit still seems off the pace. At least qualifying pace. And Penske and their Chevys have swept the top 4 spots for tomorrow.

One missing piece of the puzzle is Honda is running last year's engine while Chevy is already running this year's model. So perhaps the aerokit gap has been closed but the HP gap is creating a false sense that Honda is still lacking there. I doubt we know until Honda puts their new engines in the cars... whenever that will be this season...

New to the schedule is Phoenix this year. Testing was well received and the cars ran 40MPH quicker than their Nascar brothers' race at there. Of course, hardly before the gates could be locked to the track drivers were complaining about the cars/rules package. Depending on who you listen to, the cars have either too much downforce or not enough. Really, IMO they need to run the package they tested. For one thing, it would be like a bait and switch to make changes and suddenly run 10-20MPH slower. And #2, at least after testing this is the devil they know. Much better than going into the thing with a bunch of unknowns. Run the race, see how it goes, and fix it later only if it is truly broken.

Road America... Elkhart Lake.... Great to see this track back on the Indycar schedule. I'll be surprised if this one isn't one of the highlights of the year. If nothing else then for all the buzz and attendance.

All the races leading to and including Indy will be on ABC. This is a bit of a mixed blessing. On one hand it's free, OTA, broadcast TV. OTOH, it's ABC with their 'always bad coverage' and sleep inducing color commentary. It also means the qualifying will be online only viewing as opposed to the TV package that NBCSN brings us for their races.
    Hopefully, as Indycar looks to expand the schedule in coming seasons, they can take advantage of ABC's interest in at least promoting Indy by stacking another race or two on this side of the schedule and using that leverage to get it on air at ABC (or promoted by ABC even if it plays on NBCSN).

I'm still at a loss on what happened to the 2 race weekends which not only served to give the schedule a feeling of expansion, but gave sponsors more bang for the buck and more TV exposure. Again, only Detroit will be a double header this season.

Racer.com is reporting and opining the aerokits are actually hurting Indycar. Personally, I disagree. Maybe they need to tweak the rules but the cars still look different and the packages at least lead to the perception of innovation instead of spec racing. It's also something to talk about and more soap opera of who has found something and who is taking a big swing with a new idea. The engine badge just isn't enough to do that. Now, IF you could get a 3rd or 4th engine manufacturer interested if aerokits weren't on the table, maybe I'd consider the idea of going back to the cookie cutter cars to get more manufacturer interest in the sport (especially if that in turn increased car counts). But I still think people want to see something besides 20+ identical cars on the track.
    Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Default Re: Indycar 2016 Season Thread

Will Power will not drive today due to illness and will be replaced by Servia. The driver change will move the car from the pole position to last place on the starting grid.
    I thought Will acted odd yesterday, although his voice sounded fine (not hoarse or raspy, no coughing) so I never considered illness as a reason why.
    Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Congtrats to JPM.... Pretty much cemented himself into early Indy favorite to win. And with a wobbly steering wheel?

Will Power: Concussion.
    Well, that explains that. I thought the way he acted after qualifying was like a guy with a secret and like he knew something was about to happen that somehow was going to affect him... somehow... I just couldn't figure it out so I didn't mention it in the first post.
    He think he knew deep down by that point he wasn't sick and that he had a concussion and was going to have to self report and take himself out of the race after putting the car on the pole.

------

-John Wooden

And Power has now been 'undiagnosed' with a concussion.
    Inner ear infection, which is what was initially suspected, has now replaced the concussion diagnosis after a full battery of tests. ...Although they now say he wasn't likely to drive last Sunday in either case and the only question was whether he'd try it with a backup driver on hand or sit it out entirely. Then with the preliminary concussion diagnosis that decision was taken out of Will's and the the team's hands.

But he's cleared to drive following a week of rest apparently and no need to retake concussion tests for a release to drive.
    Last edited by Bball; 03-17-2016 at 01:01 AM.

------

-John Wooden

Roger Penske says it’s time for IndyCar to follow NASCAR’s lead and remove downforce in order to emphasize driver input, especially on ovals.
    motorsport.com

Roger Penske says it’s time for IndyCar to follow NASCAR’s lead and remove downforce in order to emphasize driver input, especially on ovals.

The team owner cited the 190mph lap speeds in testing at Phoenix and Juan Montoya’s suspension breakage at Iowa last year as prime indicators that Indycar's downforce levels had reached a critical stage.

He said: “[Team Penske advisor and IndyCar legend] Rick Mears has been saying this for 10 years now – you’ve got to take downforce off. He’s an advocate of that.

“For us to be going around Phoenix in 19 seconds pulling 6G is ridiculous. If something happens, there’s no human being who could catch it. But if the car is slipping and sliding, the accidents aren’t as violent, are they? The driver has taken most of the slide out of it by the time he makes contact.

“Remember, just the shock loads at Iowa broke Juan’s suspension last year.”

Aside from the safety aspect, Penske also said IndyCar should reduce downforce to better emphasize driver skill.

“I think we have to do it with tires and by taking some downforce off. The driver’s got to put the brakes on going into the corner. And we need tires that degrade.

“The racing product is pretty good already, but you’ve seen in NASCAR that the lower downforce has made the racing even better. We need to do the same thing in IndyCar so that we put the driver more in the car.

“I think that’s the next step – and it doesn’t cost a lot of money, so hopefully we’ll look at some changes.”

Secondhand car options

Penske admitted he was also skeptical of the aero kits from the cost effectiveness point of view.

“Ask Honda and Chevrolet how much they have had to spend on the aero kits, and ask the average fans if they notice the difference between them,” he said. “Bring 30 people from the grandstands and ask them which is the Chevrolet and which is the Honda, and I don’t think they could tell you.”

On the subject of costs, Penske also suggested grid numbers would increase if new teams could gain entry by buying equipment that is not rendered obsolete by significant rule updates from year to year.

“IndyCar needs to establish stability,” he remarked. “I think the option of second-hand equipment is important, whereby a team owner can get into the series by buying a used chassis and can go lease an engine.

“We need to have that. If you have to write a big check to get in, that’s gonna hurt [newcomers]. So we’ve got to keep the cars simple.”

No to canopies

On the subject of safety, Penske said he was not an advocate of full bubble canopies because of both the active and passive safety implications.

He said: “I want to see the cars as safe as we can have them, but I’ve seen Helio upside down one time when were testing at Richmond and he couldn’t get out and had fuel running all over him. Just a spark could have lit the place up.

“Also, if you have a bubble canopy, how are you going to keep it clean? You wouldn’t have the same vision.”
    http://www.motorsport.com/indycar/ne...penske-682541/

I agree on the DF comments.... BUT... they made the mistake of letting the genie out of the bottle already with the speeds at Phoenix. And they practiced (and tested) with what they tested with. So hopefully Indycar doesn't have changes already lined up to throw a curve ball into this coming race. For one thing, it would be like a bait and switch.... Test at 190MPH, qualify and race at 170MPH. And for another, it's the devil they know right now. To change the downforce rules right now for this race would put them in uncharted territory.
    I realize Penske is talking future, but there was some driver/team talk of wanting a different DF package for this upcoming race itself.

I disagree with Penske about the aero packages. To the hardcore fans they can tell a difference. To the casual fans, even if they can't exactly tell the difference, it removes the "spec racing" label and the "they are all the same cars" argument. And they know they are different because the announcers can point it out, and the results show it or is pointed out in the results. Even if it's more perception than reality, car diversity matters. Also, the hardcore fans like the chess game with setup options and differences between the brand options. I don't think it's coincidence there's been an uptick in Indycar ratings and interest since the aerokits came online. IMHO it moved the needle. If they expected it to peg the needle, that wasn't going to happen. But it moved it in a positive direction.
    Indycar has to be careful of trying to cut so many costs that they remove fan interest and media buzz. That becomes a problem that sucks money out of the sport and ends up costing them money that the cost cutting was supposed to save them. Interest = money. Lack of interest = loss of money.

And the last point on the canopies...
    The totally enclosed canopy still seems like a bad idea. I know hearing Doug Boles talk on the subject Indy prides itself on how quickly they can get a driver out of a car. So the worry is the canopy slows that response down and creates worse problems than it solves considering helmet hits are pretty rare versus the myriad of other accidents Indycar drivers find themselves in.
    The F1 Halo certainly seems a compromise in both driver extraction and vision (as Penske mentioned), but then only minimizes the risk of a helmet contact versus the amount a full canopy would bring (which still wouldn't be 100%).
    That said, Nascar and other forms of racing have windshields and manage the vision issue. And the drivers have visors and manage the vision issue there too.... So perhaps the vision argument isn't as compelling as it first sounds.

Edit:
    Totally forgot to comment on a point that Penske said that I've been arguing for awhile. Quit obsoleting the old cars when a new model comes out. Give the current teams a way to recoup a little more of their investment by rotating the inventory when (if?) the new car comes online in the coming years. Not only does it help the top tier teams by letting them sell off old cars and parts, but it helps either smaller teams stay in the game, or upstarts even get into the game.
    It shouldn't be that hard to figure out a way within the rulebook to let the cars get any safety updates and areas to update the aero to be at least functional on the track with newer cars. Or leave as is and just update safety as necessary.
    Plus, if some teams don't want to sell their old cars maybe some of them expand and prepare one for a flyer on a rookie or helmet in hand driver. Or put a ride buyer into an old car to help support a more deserving but less funded driver in the new equip.

Outside of equalizing safety advancements, I don't see much downside to allowing grandfathering of older equipment. At least as far as 1 generation for sure.
    Last edited by Bball; 03-31-2016 at 11:02 PM.

------

-John Wooden

INDYCAR: No downforce change for Phoenix
    http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/12...aturday-s-race

------

-John Wooden

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Really looking forward to Phoenix.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Nice win for Dixon.
    Bad luck for Helio and JPM.
    All 3 have to be favorites for Indy still though.

Not sure about the wisdom in race control not throwing a yellow for the debris on the front straight in the final 10 laps or whatever. For one thing, to keep a car from hitting it and throwing it in the crowd or pits... or cutting down a tire (and potential for a wreck).
    And for another, it would've been a legitimate yellow that would've had the added bonus of bunching up the field and giving teams something to think about strategy-wise. Let alone a restart and trophy dash finish.
    I don't even think the yellow that flew with 2 laps to go had anything to do with the debris (Rossi brushed the wall I believe). And no time for a restart.

------

-John Wooden

Sports Logo

I'm not big on racing but I go to Carb Day every few years and it always amazes me how freaking little those cars are, they barely go past my waist.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I was re-watching the thrilling finish to the 2014 race on youtube the other day. I had forgotten just how atrocious ABC was with the split screen views showing the wives of Castroneves and Hunter-Reuy. It's the last laps of the most thrilling race in the world, but you somehow think it's a good idea to put the cars on a small screen so that you can show someone's wife with their hands nervously over their mouth. I hope whoever was responsible for that was fired immediately because they don't deserve to work in TV ever again. They better not butcher the end of the 100th running like that. I always go back and re-watch the race after attending, but those side by sides just ruin it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

ABC apparently decided years ago that the shots of the wives was important to their telling of the Indy 500 story. And they either are so stuck in their ways can't reimagine their coverage, or actually like it.

As Robin Miller says "Always Bad Coverage".
    You'd think they could watch NBCSN coverage and say "We need to be more like that!"

They keep changing the play by play guys but they're just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. Fix the coverage. Rewrite the pre-production notes and rethink the coverage.

------

-John Wooden

Interesting day with the new qualifying format and the extended clock to 7PM.... which is exactly what used to be Happy Hour before DST anyway. I THINK the grandstands upgrade actually brings shadows across the track earlier than the prior roof did so 5-6PM EDT probably had more shadows this year than in year's past (since DST). BUT.... something I hadn't thought about until today (and it was a factor)... wind... Typically, a windy afternoon dies down around 6PM DST (formerly 5PM EDT). So the extended clock today had drivers not only driving with more shadows on the track, but also the afternoon winds that caused so many issues with gearing, DF, and turn in were gone for that last hour. Which was more like the old days would've been when Indiana didn't recognize Daylight Saving Time (like God intended it to be! ).

Still don't know how I feel about the format. Especially with only 33 cars trying to qualify anyway. But mainly, seeing guys have shot after shot at what isn't even the pole but merely for a place in line of the nine who will have a shot at it tomorrow. But then tomorrow... it's one crack at it if I understand correctly. That made it exciting today but tomorrow (although had to be harrowing for the drivers), but without the ability to play the clock and setup strategies it'll just be the one shot and over. IF they have to do it this way, I'd prefer today be today where you only get one shot to be in the top 9 and tomorrow you get multiple cracks at the pole IF you withdraw your speed to do it. Make it 5-7PM for the "Fast Nine" and give them 9 guaranteed runs and then put it in their hands whether to withdraw and go again.

------

-John Wooden

KEEP qualifying running until 7PM. That last hour and a half was AWESOME.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

The Good... the Bad... and the Ugly...
    Indy Quals 2016

The Good:
    Hinch on the pole.
    Newgarden oh so close.
    Say what you want about tradition, memories, etc... but the new format was certainly exciting for both days.
    Danica Patrick nowhere near an Indycar today.

The Bad:
    Had there been 34 or 35 or 36 cars trying to qualify we could've had the potential of one of the bigger teams/names barely hanging on to make the race, or maybe not making it with a car or two. Certainly Rahal could've been sweating it and especially his teammate. The Foyt team could've been sweating it. Not sure Lazier could've made it if he really had to try to beat anyone instead of tool around in race setups.

As exciting as the format was, it still meant some weird things... like drivers hanging it out multiple times on Saturday just to get a 1 shot crack at the pole on Sunday. And having a pole speed that was down from the tossed out speeds the day before. It would've been weird to see a qualifying record set on Saturday only to see that speed wiped out on Sunday and that car possibly not even be the fastest car on the new day 2 "Pole Day". Obviously (I guess) the record would still stand but yet those Saturday qualifying speeds are thrown out as far as mattering for the race. Just a weird scenario to think about. But new track records were obviously off the table this year so who knows what they will decide for the future.

The Ugly:
    We have a car in the starting field that didn't post a qualifying run on Sunday. So does he just get a DNQ rear of the field start or does he still start in the rear of the field but with some kind of acknowledgement of Saturday's speed? Which again is just weird either way it goes.

=====
    But when you're qualifying 33 cars for 33 spots, it's hard to imagine more drama or better storylines than we had this weekend with the way it worked out.

------

-John Wooden

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

It's just a shame that there weren't more than 33 cars competing for the 100th running of this great event. This sport is on life support, which is a shame because there are some really talented drivers in this series.

The performance of "AJ Foyt Enterprises" at Indy has been sad for a long time now. He acted like such an a-hole during the split, then all of those old CART teams returned and blew his swirl out of the water. Poetic justice.

Can't wait for the race. This series has some really talented drivers and I'm sure it will be entertaining.

If practice is any indication, the race will be great.

------

-John Wooden

The race is close enough to where we can start looking at the weather forecast.

For Speedway, IN, weather.com is saying high of 86, partly cloudy, with a 20% chance of rain. That would be a pretty hot one if true, but it would also seem like a miracle given how much rain this part of the country has had lately. Hopefully those rain chances stay low. Looks like it's going to rain pretty heavy on Thursday and Friday, so hopefully it all gets out of here.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Hopefully the weather holds. It has been raining here in DC constantly for a few weeks until today, which has been the first truly sunny day we've had in what feels like a long time. My wife's birthday was last week and we couldn't even go out and really do anything because the weather was so awful. I have attended probably 15 Indy 500's in my life but this will be a special one and I am hoping the weather holds! Especially what I paid for my flight, sheesh.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Now the forecast for Speedway has risen to 88. Looks like we might be in for a scorcher. Can't wait to attend my 19th straight contest.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

I can almost guarantee we'll be in that mode where there is a chance of intermittent, scattered showers in central Indiana. Hazy, humid, typical Indiana weather forecast when it gets down to it. It won't be that there's a system moving thru but instead just favorable conditions for pop up showers/storms. It could be that Greenwood will be drenched in a downpour and IMS hazy sunshine. Or vice versa.

------

-John Wooden

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can almost guarantee we'll be in that mode where there is a chance of intermittent, scattered showers in central Indiana. Hazy, humid, typical Indiana weather forecast when it gets down to it. It won't be that there's a system moving thru but instead just favorable conditions for pop up showers/storms. It could be that Greenwood will be drenched in a downpour and IMS hazy sunshine. Or vice versa.
    We've had 8 straight years of dry races. Sooner or later the luck will run out. Nothing is worse than waiting around and watching them try that track for hours on end.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Reading some of the doomsday pessimists saying "Yeah, this year will be great but it'll really fall off next year.... The 100th year is a draw... but now what?" it hit me...

Next year they will be teasing and going for the track record. That's going to be the next thing to maintain interest they will push.
    They'd planned it for this year. They hoped to sneak up on it last year and then get there all the way this year. But the flying cars intervened and scared them away from it last season and set them back. They had to sort out the cars going airborne at speed in a spin. But now they've mostly got the flying cars issue sorted out as far as qualifying goes. It's still possible to climb someone's tire and be launched but that won't happen in qualifying.
    And race speeds don't need to be the same as qualifying speeds.

So I bet we'll see them pushing the track record next year. Whether they just get close and milk it a couple of years is a question mark but I bet the potential will be there if conditions are right. And if conditions are not right, they'll be in the same zip code as the record which will keep people talking and interested. We'll see the record speed 'unofficially' broken in practice with a tow and that will feed the media machine "can they do it?".

That's my prediction. I don't think IMS is going back to a ghost town anywhere soon.

I DO think they better keep in mind that the aerokits are breaking the perception that this is spec racing. Different engines and different bodywork. AND the media touting the two manufacturers and constantly bringing up gains and struggles by each badge. I think that stuff matters. Even if it's more to create an illusion this isn't spec racing, it breaks that perception.

I hope whatever they ultimately decide on the aerokits for next season still has some differentiation even if it's only aesthetic. Although, I'm not sure how possible 'only aesthetic' really is. But let's not go back to where the only difference is the shape of the mirrors!

And speaking of aero... I'm not convinced that Honda's aero has really been the problem anyway. I'm leaning towards thinking Chevy either had a better engine, or better ECM programming to give them especially a qualifying advantage. Meanwhile, it forced the Honda teams to work harder to be competitive, and now that their qualifying engine has caught up, they have more knowledge about their setups because of all that hard work.

Look at Penske in '94 and '95. His Mercedez engines were so powerful it let them drive thru setup issues by sheer HP. Fast forward to 95 with the Mercedez engine now more or less outlawed by the rulebook and Penske's drivers and engineers didn't have a handle on the cars, because they hadn't needed it, and ended up not making the race. Their setup books were out of date basically...

But all that said... Newgarden showed that Chevy was still a pole threat. And the Monday practice showed the Chevy race package is still right there at the pointy end of the field.
    Honda might've won the battle, but they still haven't won the war.

------

-John Wooden

The Indy 500 will always be just fine because it has so much history and big event status. The problem is that these teams have to find ways to afford to race for the rest of the season. The series itself seems to be on financial life support and the only thing that saves it is the Indy 500. Even in this historic 100th running, you have a car in the field that didn't even post a qualifying speed. In the old days, you used to have great drivers/teams completely shut out because it was so competitive. The 500 will always make a ton of money, but the series is on the respirator. It's a shame because there are some incredibly talented drivers in this series, but the fallout from the split ran off millions of fans AND nuked an entire generation of new fans since the angry fans didn't raise their children to become fans.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 05-25-2016 at 09:28 AM.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

In Boies I trust.

Also, holy ****, the blackout is lifted this year.

Also holy ****, the INFIELD is sold out.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Never thought I'd see the infield sold out. I have to wonder if it really sold out or if they decided at this late date to hit a certain number and call it sold out for the PR? The only problem with that theory is you'd think they'd wait until Friday to make the announcement, selling more tickets along the way, rather than to do it now.

Of course there's always the possibility they will now 'decide' to make more tickets available and announce it Friday....

But real or massaged, there's no way it happens unless ticket sales were STRONG.

One thing I would caution people against is expecting no aluminum this year. I suspect scalpers gambled and gobbled up some tickets for this year thinking business would be good on the secondary ticket market. Which still might be true, but leaves open the possibility of seats that IMS sold remaining unused if the scalpers can't move the tickets.

------

-John Wooden

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post: