Thread: For those who did not see the game

Default For those who did not see the game

Dunleavy is a real player, he was the best player on the court tonight, outstanding. He played point gaurd almost the whole game and he is the only reason it got close in the 4th quarter.

I said this last season and I'll say it again. No one in the NBA defends J.O as well as Cliff Robinson. But I had no idea that Uncle Cliffy talked so much trash. They both picked up two T's late and were tossed.

For about a 6 minute stetch the Pacers had J.O, AL, Bender and Artest on the floor at the same time, very interesting lineup and it was causing the Warriors fits because that meant a small guy was on Bender or Ronnie.

Bender was the go to guy during the middle part of the 4th quarter ad he was getting fouled and causing the matchup problems.

And then Artest became the go to guy for the last 5 minutes of the game and he kept getting fouled, he shot 8 FT's in the 4th.

Reggie had his shot working tonight and without him the Pacers lose.

Dunleavy was so impressive, of course the pacers had to put their point guard on him, if Artest could have defended him it would have been different.

Nice to see Artest on the floor again, he is at about 70% as his hand was heavily taped, hopefully all that tape is gone by the playoffs.

Nice solid win. Pacers were cruising with a 25 point lead, and then the pacers got away from moving the ball and they started shooting qquick outside shots, but the warriors realy got aggressive.

That's enough for now.

game was fun for the first 30 minutes tonight and then it was tough to watch

Default Re: For those who did not see the game

I broke down and took my non-League-Pass-having butt down to my local watering hole to watch the game. Glad I did, there were some good moments (Bender = ).

I basically agree with everything UB said. Reggie was hot in the first half, Dunleavy was AWESOME.

We got really complacent in the third but ground out the win... and I'll of course take it .

I watched it also to the sweet end.

I enjoyed seeing the lineup of Artest, Bender, Harrington and JO with first, AJ, and then Tinsley in crunch time.

Hope we learned something from blowing the 25 point lead. The guys in the third quarter got stupid and started firing up bombs and obviously got full of themselves.

Ron fouled out late in the fourth quarter, not much after JO was tossed. He was heavily wrapped and I saw him looking at his left hand and unwinding the tape as he left the floor. Hope he is OK. As he showed tonight: We need him! Without him we are not the same team.

I don't think Cro got to play. Reggie shot the rock well. Bender was very good and Al was the favored son as he played most of the time it seemed, except for not starting. Al had tough luck on his shots, mostly, but was effective much of the time. Rebounded pretty well and went to the hoop.

Any win on the road is a good win. Hell, any win is a good win. Glad I stayed up and watched it. Not that there was any chance I wouldn't.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Listened on the radio, thought I'd relay Slicks end of 4th Q comment.

When JO was tossed Slick commented that this would be a good place to re-insert Bender and see what he can do. Didn't happen but when Ron went out and JB did come back in Slick was all happiness and said that it would be a good test for the kid. Went on to say he would be the difference maker.

If someone had told you 20 games ago that JB would be called the "difference maker" would you have believed it possible?
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This is as good a place to any to give my analysis. Bender and Al were awesome, Ron was unbelievable, but I was very disappointed (again) w/JO and I was also disappointed with Carlisle. I'm also staring to agree w/Ragnar's contention that AJ should be moved to the 3rd pg spot and KA should get the b/u minutes.

JO needs to heed Bird's advice to Bender and "get his butt under the basket." This guy is not providing MVP or all-star effort lately. Like I said yesterday, maybe his knee is bothering him more than he lets on, I don't know. I do know that this team DOES NOT need him shooting jumpers and JO seems to have lost a little confidence. Couple that with his allowing Robinson to get in his head and this guy needs to wake up. One of the things that has helped this team become so successful is their mental toughness and things like letting the opponent control your emotions can not be tolerated. JO has done a better job of controlling his emotions this year and my hope is he is just frustrated.

Carlisle let this game get out of control. The Pacers take a 25 point lead and then for the next 10 possessions they take either 3 points shots or 20+ foot jumpers. Carlisle calls a timeout and the team continues to do the same thing. At that point he should of made some substitutions. I thought Bender should have gotten more minutes and Carlisle left Pollard in when the Warriors went small and he should have inserted Foster. Then he played Foster when the Warriors went big and Pollard would have been effective. Putting JO on Dampier is a BAD idea, Dampier just overpowers him. I also think JO should NOT have been in the game at the time he got ejected. Carlisle had opportunities to pull him when it was obvious things were getting out of control. Add to that JO's poor play and the bench's good play and there was no need for him to be on the floor.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Bender had several breathtaking moves to the hoop. The type where the crowd oohs and aahs.

The Warriors announcers who are among the best in the league were marveling at the depth and talent of the pacers. They said it was amazing that the Pacers lost an allstar center and they are actually better, they did not say they were better because of losing Brad, only that the depth and defense is better.

Pacers are so much better with Artest in the starting lineup and AL coming off the bench, the combo of AL and Jon is something to see and they don't even start.

When Artest doesn't play the Pacers just miss his presense most of all, he gfives the team a spark in all facets of the game, he also gives his teammates a certain confidence that is hard to describe

The Warriors announcers who are among the best in the league were marveling at the depth and talent of the pacers. They said it was amazing that the Pacers lost an allstar center and they are actually better, they did not say they were better because of losing Brad, only that the depth and defense is better.
    I watch more than my share of GS games, partially because I enjoy listening to those two guys. The one who does mostly "color" seems to be particularly sharp with his observations.

Sports Logo

I'm also staring to agree w/Ragnar's contention that AJ should be moved to the 3rd pg spot and KA should get the b/u minutes.
    Now if I can just get UB and Rick to see it my way

I cant believe I am about tosay this but Bender needs more pt I am extremely close to being on the Bender bandwagon.

I have always thought it was terrible that I could not cheer for a player named Bender. (must be a futurama fan to understand)

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm also staring to agree w/Ragnar's contention that AJ should be moved to the 3rd pg spot and KA should get the b/u minutes.
    Now if I can just get UB and Rick to see it my way

I cant believe I am about tosay this but Bender needs more pt I am extremely close to being on the Bender bandwagon.

I have always thought it was terrible that I could not cheer for a player named Bender. (must be a futurama fan to understand)
    Imagine if our Bender had some of the other Bender's nastiness...
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

Sports Logo

It came off to me that they could not understand how Indiana and Sacramento got better at the same time. They missed the most obvious difference COACHING!! for Indiana and adding an all star in Sacramento without giving anything or any real value in return.

People like to talk about Detroit getting a great deal in the Wallace trade but I think the Kings made the deal of the season.

I love Anthony Johnson. But of late he seems to not be as effective as he was early on. His defense doesn't seem as tough & his playmaking has gotten worse, if that were possible.

I don't like Anderson much at all, but right now I wouldn't mind seeing him get some of the backup point min.

Dunleavy is a player. When was the last time anybody saw a guard grab 20 rebounds in a game? Damn that was an impressive performance.

Al for Mike Dunleavy anybody?????

I can't tell you how dissapointed I was that Austin got another DNP-CD. I do NOT buy the matchup b.s. To me Austin brings so much more to the floor than Pollard does (Foster for that matter as well IMO) & he does not deserve the DNP crap.

Did anybody else about pass out when Bender fell on his arm while trying to block that shot? I thought for sure he was gonna break it.

To me it was funny to listen to the G.S. guys about Reggie. They started off talking about his age, how he was getting burned by being lazy on defense. Then he went insane with the three's then all of a sudden it was Reggie was one of the greats & still getting it done at his age.

About O'Neal. I think his knee is hurting him, he is not playing anything at all like he was in the first half of the season. But I am concerned about his mental status of late as well. He's been harping more & more at the refs. as the season has gone on & he has been baited about three times now since the all-star break. In all fairness to him though, I wish he would have put a fist in Robinsons mouth. I thought Al was going to himself at one point.

To the Brad thing, there was more to it than what has been reported here. They did marvel that the team had a better record & did allude to the fact that we were so deep & our defense was so good. But they also said that it was not something they would have done. Also they called it a trade ed:

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Sports Logo

Imagine if our Bender had some of the other Bender's nastiness...
    He would at least lead the league in steals.

To me Austin brings so much more to the floor than Pollard does
    Oh yeah I am all for Cro getting Pollards minutes. We also need to remember that Cro has always played his best ball late in the season and in the playoffs.

And Dunleavy man that kid can play. Clearly growing up with an NBA head coach as a father can teach you a thing or two about the game. I thought he was a very heady player and he clearly understands how important rebounds are.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

It came off to me that they could not understand how Indiana and Sacramento got better at the same time. They missed the most obvious difference COACHING!! for Indiana and adding an all star in Sacramento without giving anything or any real value in return.
    I was yelling "IT'S THE COACHING!" at the television when they had that conversation - but my wife thought I'd wake up our sleeping daughter instead of educate those poor souls 2,000 miles away.

I had a hard time watching after Artest went five rows up into the stands in the first minute or so of the game. I'm just really nervous right now.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

I was yelling "IT'S THE COACHING!" at the television when they had that conversation - but my wife thought I'd wake up our sleeping daughter instead of educate those poor souls 2,000 miles away.

I had a hard time watching after Artest went five rows up into the stands in the first minute or so of the game. I'm just really nervous right now.

I had the same exact two thoughts.

Amazing that on the very first play Ronnie goes up and over the first row. I had a nervous smile on my face.

But in the second half Ron fell on his left hand as he was trying to get position in the lane, that really made me nervous.

Point guard: at about the 7 minute mark of the 4th quarter I said to myself, OK time for Tinsley. Not sure I have ever said that, actually I have quite a bit this season.

Overall though I like the point guard rotation as it is. When Tinsley gets a little out of control AJ comes in a settles things down, although I admit Kenny would settle things down also.

Is AJ better than Kenny, overall I don't know, but I do know that Kenny has basically started his whole career and AJ has come off the bench his whole career, so I think AJ is better in his current role than Kenny would be.

On this issue I guess I trust Rick and the coaching staff to make the call. They have been batting about 99% all season long

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

-snip- I guess I trust Rick and the coaching staff to make the call. They have been batting about 99% all season long
    So you're now admitting that they've messed up about 1% of the time?
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Brilliant 2 1/2 quarters of basketball and the last quarter and a half almost ruined it....

The first half was really strong basketball...on both ends.... O'Neal was being that presence in the middle....Dampier wasn't that effective and JO was blocking everything. Reggie was on fire... Pacers were moving and getting good shots.

Indy came out the 3rd quarter stronger than the first half...great movement... players cutting... everyone sharing the ball getting open looks and hitting everything....then wham!!! 25pt lead and the P's start to coast. JO settling for fading 17 footers... and getting frustrated by Uncle Spliffys D... Cliff Robinson is a great defender and has been for many years... when he was here in Phx he would always shut down KG and Duncan...it didn't suprise me that he shut down JO.

I would've liked to have seen Freddie or Ron get into Dunleavys jock a bit... it really seemed like no one was guarding him the second half....

And that Pietrus kid was eating up AJ on defense ( they were letting him get pretty rough)...sorry UB....but the kid changed the game with his Defense as much as Dunleavy did on offense.

Anyway Artest was solid and seemed to bring confidence to the rest of the team.... Al 16/12 and JB 14/6 bds were fantastic off the bench....Reggie was on and looked good....Foster had a rough night....but played good Defense.... and Jamal 11pts 9asts 0 TO... whats the kid gotta do to get 30+ minutes a night.... jeebus.

I notice that with AJ as point, there needs to be another player who can create off the dribble. Fred JB or Ron. If they aint out there with AJ then things go really stagnant fast.

But here is my question. Since I couldnt see the game and everyone is talking about this horrible collapse in the 3rd Q. Can someone please tell me what was the lineup that lost most of the 25pt lead? Sounds like Tinsley ran the offense well to start the 3rd, then Rick ritualistically put in AJ then it all went to hell. That about right?

But here is my question. Since I couldnt see the game and everyone is talking about this horrible collapse in the 3rd Q. Can someone please tell me what was the lineup that lost most of the 25pt lead? Sounds like Tinsley ran the offense well to start the 3rd, then Rick ritualistically put in AJ then it all went to hell. That about right?
    Not really. The lead was slipping away long before AJ checked in. Pacers scored the first 9 points of the quarter real fast, then got outscored 27-10 rest of the way If I recall correctly.

edit:checking the play by play at http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/gamelog?gameId=240302009 looks like the lead had been cut from 25 to 13 before Tinsley came out. So not sure how AJ is to blame.