Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 145

Thread: According to the Denver Post, Peyton Manning will ride off into the sunset

  1. #51
    Member RWB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,881

    Default Re: According to the Denver Post, Peyton Manning will ride off into the sunset

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We can't read his mind, but we can look at the eyes of someone and to me it was the most abundantly clear thing ever that he still felt tons of love for Indy and the fans when he came back in 2013.
    I guess that's what happens when you see half of Luke filled with folks wearing either #18 or Bronco's jerseys on your return.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:


  3. #52
    Member Ace E.Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    16,770

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: According to the Denver Post, Peyton Manning will ride off into the sunset

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But I wouldn't say it's an equal amount of success. He was the best quarterback in the league when the Colts made both of their Super Bowls. He was certainly the best quarterback in the league when Denver made it in 2013, but he was basically the worst quarterback in the league in 2015 and was pretty much a game manager who rode the defense when he came back. A great story and amazing way to end his career, but it is not the same thing as the other three Super Bowls in which he was the best.
    Well that's kind of my point. What's supposed to be more important? Your status as a QB, or winning the SB?

    If merely winning SB's is what matter's most - then his status as the best or the worst QB doesn't matter. Isn't that why Manning is always looked down upon - his lack of SB's and postseason success? Well he had arguably more postseason success during his time in Denver.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:


  5. #53
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    27,740

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: According to the Denver Post, Peyton Manning will ride off into the sunset

    "Success" isn't defined by merely beating the Patriots nor winning rings. Once you clear that hurdle, realizing Peyton had more success in Indy than Denver becomes pretty freaking apparent.

    No one can honestly believe Peyton did just as much as a Bronco than a Colt. That's just dumb. When setting records, for one example, is no longer viewed as a "success" come find me.
    ďJust because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.Ē ― Ricky Gervais.

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  7. #54
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    22,392

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: According to the Denver Post, Peyton Manning will ride off into the sunset

    Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well that's kind of my point. What's supposed to be more important? Your status as a QB, or winning the SB?

    If merely winning SB's is what matter's most - then his status as the best or the worst QB doesn't matter. Isn't that why Manning is always looked down upon - his lack of SB's and postseason success? Well he had arguably more postseason success during his time in Denver.
    Arguably more postseason success in Denver? That's not true on its face. Two Super Bowl appearances in Denver and two Divisional exits. Two Super Bowl appearances in Indy and one other year where the Colts were knocked out in the AFCCG.

    Come on, you know full well the point I'm making. Winning the Super Bowl in 2006 when you're the best quarterback in the league is way different than winning it this past season when you're battered up, played the worst season of your career, and are essentially game managing for a defense.

    Which Super Bowl win elevates the respective quarterback's legacy more: Brady's in 2014 or Manning's in 2015? I know I don't have to really sit down and explain this because Brady winning it again when he was still at his apex is obviously more relevant to his overall legacy than Manning's win. Note: I'm not trying to demean what Peyton did - to return from an injury and benching to quarterback a team on a Super Bowl run was a nice accomplishment given his circumstances. But does it move the needle on his career like it would have if Denver had won that Super Bowl two years ago? No way.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  9. #55
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    22,392

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: According to the Denver Post, Peyton Manning will ride off into the sunset

    Peyton just gushed about his time with the Colts a bunch during that presser, so yeah it's pretty safe to say that he still feels a lot of love for his time in Indy and the Colts organization.

    He loves Denver too, no doubt about that, but 14 years > 4 years.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  11. #56
    Member Ace E.Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    16,770

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: According to the Denver Post, Peyton Manning will ride off into the sunset

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Peyton just gushed about his time with the Colts a bunch during that presser, so yeah it's pretty safe to say that he still feels a lot of love for his time in Indy and the Colts organization.

    He loves Denver too, no doubt about that, but 14 years > 4 years.
    Well of course he loves his time as a Colt. He spent much of his adult life here. Nobody is saying otherwise.

    I did find it interesting that Manning specifically named the Broncos organization, Pat Boylen and his family but failed to mention Irsay. But I am also sure that has as much to do with him playing with the organization just last season.

    I'll just agree to disagree because we are arguing over nothing that is important at this point. The guy just capped of an impeccable career in impressive fashion. He has long lasting memories with both teams.

  12. #57
    Member Ace E.Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    16,770

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: According to the Denver Post, Peyton Manning will ride off into the sunset

    From a big time Manning fanboy's standpoint, watching all of the highlights, love and admiration that 18 has received has been great to see. His retirement speech was great as well.

    Not seeing 18 in shotgun next season will be weird for me. I basically grew up with the guy playing football.

    I have yet to really connect/identify with another player as I did with Manning.

  13. #58
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    22,392

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: According to the Denver Post, Peyton Manning will ride off into the sunset

    Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well of course he loves his time as a Colt. He spent much of his adult life here. Nobody is saying otherwise.

    I did find it interesting that Manning specifically named the Broncos organization, Pat Boylen and his family but failed to mention Irsay. But I am also sure that has as much to do with him playing with the organization just last season.

    I'll just agree to disagree because we are arguing over nothing that is important at this point. The guy just capped of an impeccable career in impressive fashion. He has long lasting memories with both teams.

    Huh? Peyton specifically mentioned Irsay, Polian, and virtually every important player from his Colts days. A ton of his speech was devoted to gushing about his time with the Colts.

    It's just kind of weird that a Manning fan like yourself tries to downplay the obvious superiority of his tenure here in the grand scheme of things. It's almost like you don't want him to have a special attachment to here or something because you think fans are too biased towards the transition to Andrew Luck.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 03-07-2016 at 04:59 PM.

  14. #59
    Member presto123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Noblesville, IN.
    Posts
    6,012

    Default Re: According to the Denver Post, Peyton Manning will ride off into the sunset

    Manning had a stupendous career here, but what jumps out at me first when I remember his time as a Colt are they crushing playoff losses. I guess the fact that the team was always so good during the regular season lead to extremely high expectations for the post season. This was back when I actually let sports outcomes affect my well being. Always felt like being punched in the gut every time the team under-performed. I guess I had a love/hate relationship with Manning. Would still love to see him come back to the Colts in some fashion.

  15. #60

    Default Re: According to the Denver Post, Peyton Manning will ride off into the sunset



  16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:


  17. #61
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,486

    Default Re: According to the Denver Post, Peyton Manning will ride off into the sunset

    Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    but failed to mention Irsay.
    https://www.facebook.com/WRTV6/video...14092/?fref=nf
    Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  18. #62

    Default Re: According to the Denver Post, Peyton Manning will ride off into the sunset

    Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well of course he loves his time as a Colt. He spent much of his adult life here. Nobody is saying otherwise.

    I did find it interesting that Manning specifically named the Broncos organization, Pat Boylen and his family but failed to mention Irsay. But I am also sure that has as much to do with him playing with the organization just last season.

    I'll just agree to disagree because we are arguing over nothing that is important at this point. The guy just capped of an impeccable career in impressive fashion. He has long lasting memories with both teams.
    Actually he did mention Irsay that being said I don't think he has this great attachment to the Colts or Broncos either. I mean he even said that he considers himself a Tennesee Vol that played for the Colts and Broncos.

    Which I always believe that's who he affiliates himself with

  19. #63
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    22,392

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: According to the Denver Post, Peyton Manning will ride off into the sunset

    Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Actually he did mention Irsay that being said I don't think he has this great attachment to the Colts or Broncos either. I mean he even said that he considers himself a Tennesee Vol that played for the Colts and Broncos.

    Which I always believe that's who he affiliates himself with
    I don't see how anyone could listen to his speech today and not think that he has an attachment to both the Colts and Broncos. He gushed about both of them endlessly.

    You're also misrepresenting the quote, BTW:

    "I'm retiring today as a University of Tennessee graduate who played for the Colts and the Broncos,” Manning said. "I'm very lucky."

    http://www.wbir.com/sports/nfl/peyto...umber/72422871

    He didn't give any more weight to Tennessee in that statement than he did to the Colts or Broncos. He gave a factual statement - he was a Tennessee graduate who played for the Colts and Broncos.

    It's just a weird stance to think that the has no special attachment to Indy or Denver when he talked endlessly about both places yesterday. Normal people get choked up when they leave regular jobs all the time.......yet a guy who played NFL football for 18 doesn't have much of an attachment to the two franchises he played for and represented. Yeah right......

    Peyton took a lot of pride in what he did. When he was playing for Tennessee, Indy, and Denver, he knew that he was playing for not just his teammates, but for his school and fans in college.....and his organization, city, and fans in the NFL. He took pride in representing those entities.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 03-08-2016 at 09:25 AM.

  20. #64
    Member Ace E.Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    16,770

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: According to the Denver Post, Peyton Manning will ride off into the sunset

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Huh? Peyton specifically mentioned Irsay, Polian, and virtually every important player from his Colts days. A ton of his speech was devoted to gushing about his time with the Colts.

    It's just kind of weird that a Manning fan like yourself tries to downplay the obvious superiority of his tenure here in the grand scheme of things. It's almost like you don't want him to have a special attachment to here or something because you think fans are too biased towards the transition to Andrew Luck.
    The video I originally saw online was only bits and pieces of the Press Conference. I went back and watched a video that had the conference in its entirety. I'm glad Manning recognized Irsay and the colts organization. That's obviously where he earned his stripes.

    I'm not trying to downplay his tenure with the Colts by any means. His career there was LEGENDARY. But again many fans, pundits, etc see his time as a colt as a minor disappointment (to which I vehemently disagree). Even Irsay has mentioned in the media that they should have won and accomplished more than they did. I don't think Manning has that same stigma about his time in Denver. They had some disappointments for sure (particularly against the Colts nonetheless) but they didn't seem to be as catostrophic as the "disappointments" during his time in Indy.

    Between coming back after being left for dead, winning one MVP (should've been two) and capping off some of those records he had been chasing, his time in Denver was certainly special. He also had better post season success in Denver (60% win percentage, 2 SB appearances, 2-0 against Brady and the Pats) in a much shorter amount of time. So maybe that has something to do with it.

    As for the last part, Idc if he has a special attachment to the Colts lol. I mean they drafted him and he was there for much of his adult life. His work in the community and on the field is sure to leave him with some strong sense of pride and accomplishment. They also got rid of him the second they could in order to draft Luck (100% the right thing to do, no doubt about that). Knowing how competitive and jaded 18 can be (I've read many stories that says he doesn't let things go) I'm sure that's in the back of his mind about his time here also. Denver gave him a chance when Indy thought he was done for good.

    I can assure you, Luck has NOTHING to do with my thought process whatsoever lol. Every franchise is going to make that transition from one superstar to the next (Montana to Young, Favre to Rodgers, are perfect examples of how quickly a franchise and it's fans will move on from greatness to greatness) Colt fans should have their allegiances 100% towards Andrew. I don't think fans are biased at all when it comes to this transition. That's the nature of the beast

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:


  22. #65
    Member Ace E.Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    16,770

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: According to the Denver Post, Peyton Manning will ride off into the sunset

    Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Manning had a stupendous career here, but what jumps out at me first when I remember his time as a Colt are they crushing playoff losses. I guess the fact that the team was always so good during the regular season lead to extremely high expectations for the post season. This was back when I actually let sports outcomes affect my well being. Always felt like being punched in the gut every time the team under-performed. I guess I had a love/hate relationship with Manning. Would still love to see him come back to the Colts in some fashion.
    This is exactly what I mean. And though I disagree that he should be remembered by his playoff loses, I'm not even saying your ideas about Manning are totally unbecoming.

    These types of sentiments aren't found in Denver with their fans or local media however. Peyton is universally loved there for what he brought to the franchise.

  23. #66
    Member presto123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Noblesville, IN.
    Posts
    6,012

    Default Re: According to the Denver Post, Peyton Manning will ride off into the sunset

    Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is exactly what I mean. And though I disagree that he should be remembered by his playoff loses, I'm not even saying your ideas about Manning are totally unbecoming.

    These types of sentiments aren't found in Denver with their fans or local media however. Peyton is universally loved there for what he brought to the franchise.
    Of course he is. He took them to 2 Super Bowls in his short time there. They didn't suffer the number of disappointments that Indy fans did.

  24. #67
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    22,392

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: According to the Denver Post, Peyton Manning will ride off into the sunset

    Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    As for the last part, Idc if he has a special attachment to the Colts lol. I mean they drafted him and he was there for much of his adult life. His work in the community and on the field is sure to leave him with some strong sense of pride and accomplishment. They also got rid of him the second they could in order to draft Luck (100% the right thing to do, no doubt about that). Knowing how competitive and jaded 18 can be (I've read many stories that says he doesn't let things go) I'm sure that's in the back of his mind about his time here also. Denver gave him a chance when Indy thought he was done for good.

    But there's no need for either of us to play a game as to what we think is going on in Peyton's head. Peyton has made his feelings clear. The brutal press conference when the Colts cut him in 2012, talking about how he wanted to retire a Colt, the look on his face during that 2013 standing ovation, the constant gushing about his time with the Colts yesterday......pretty clear that he will always be fond of the Colts. He's usually well guarded and reserved with his comments and feelings, but over the years, he's let the emotions come out like he did yesterday. He's clearly a sentimental guy even if he did his best to always have that stoic persona. There's no great Freudian mystery here..... of course he's going to have a special attachment to a place where he lived from age 22 to age 35 and became a sporting legend. I think it's a bit stubborn to put your head in the sand about something that's so obvious, but whatever.

    I don't doubt that he was and probably is still ticked about his release from the Colts. But why was he ticked? Because he wanted to be here. Besides, holding a grudge against the man who cut you does not mean that you lose your love for the fans and playing for the horseshoe. Look at Favre - obviously had some serious issues with those in charge there, but the he's always a Packer at heart as that Thanksgiving ceremony showed.

    You're also overly romanticizing his Denver tenure a bit. Yes, it was an incredibly successful comeback and he couldn't have asked for much more. But 2 of the 3 seasons in which he was good ended in brutal divisional playoff losses at home (2012 - Ravens, 2014 - Colts) that were similar to some of the brutal losses he had as a Colt. The other year ended in one of the biggest Super Bowl humiliations ever. I would read Denver message boards after those games and there were absolutely criticisms of Manning after those losses. After the losses, the media was saying the same types of things about him that they said in Indy. But again, a huge chunk of the Manning criticism always came from the national talking heads instead of the local market where he was playing. Indy and Denver aren't Philly or New York with the harshness of their sports coverage. Peyton's treatment by the media and fans in Indy was very respectful for the most part. Kravitz is already talking about erecting a statue for Christ's sake.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 03-08-2016 at 09:17 AM.

  25. #68
    Member RWB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,881

    Default Re: According to the Denver Post, Peyton Manning will ride off into the sunset

    I can only come from the perspective of what I saw from the other side. I have no doubt the fine folks in TN worship Peyton because I met so many folks who drove up just to see Peyton and Colts camp. I watched as kids and sometimes adult women would cry just meeting the guy, and had to threaten adult men I was going to have them removed if they didn't calm their @$$ down walking on the kids for an autograph. Peyton was sincere in making sure kids didn't get squished but you could also tell he dug the adulation. (Not meant as a snarky remark). Colt fans adored the guy!!!! They worshiped him!!! And he knew it. Never, never saw the same craziness when it came to Edge, Marvin, Reggie, or Dallas. (Of course Marvin was like a fart in the wind trying to get him to sign for folks. Look, there's Marvin, where? Too late). Don't get me wrong people could get slightly pushy with those guys too, but not the I'll step on old ladies if I need to when it came to Peyton.

    I have no clue if he got the same attention in Denver. He's a star and no matter where he went people would ask for an autograph (I know this from other stories I was told by Peyton or his personal people). I mean some crazy stuff (will have to relate the lady with a broken arm bit some time). But just hearing from Bronco fans there were many who only embraced him because he was on their team. Some even say previously they really couldn't stand him. I can only guess that Peyton didn't receive the same hero God like worship he did in Indiana.

    So back to the original thought.... Basketball fan is correct in the assumption Peyton would have amazing feelings for the Vols and the fine folks of Tennessee. They had Peyton on a pedestal too and probably still do. But as others, especially Sollozzo has pointed out, he grew up to be a man while with the Colts. And with the Colts this God creature was created.
    Last edited by RWB; 03-08-2016 at 11:17 AM.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:


  27. #69
    Member Ace E.Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    16,770

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: According to the Denver Post, Peyton Manning will ride off into the sunset

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You're also overly romanticizing his Denver tenure a bit. Yes, it was an incredibly successful comeback and he couldn't have asked for much more. But 2 of the 3 seasons in which he was good ended in brutal divisional playoff losses at home (2012 - Ravens, 2014 - Colts) that were similar to some of the brutal losses he had as a Colt. The other year ended in one of the biggest Super Bowl humiliations ever. I would read Denver message boards after those games and there were absolutely criticisms of Manning after those losses. After the losses, the media was saying the same types of things about him that they said in Indy. But again, a huge chunk of the Manning criticism always came from the national talking heads instead of the local market where he was playing. Indy and Denver aren't Philly or New York with the harshness of their sports coverage. Peyton's treatment by the media and fans in Indy was very respectful for the most part. Kravitz is already talking about erecting a statue for Christ's sake.
    Ehh idk about that. I am a part of a Broncos message board and he is thought of much more positively than he is here. It's really not close either.

    I think the embarrassment that took place against the Seahawks was obviously a brutal loss for Manning and the Broncos. But their fans (the ones that I know) didn't take it the same way as when the Colts lost to the Saints in the SB. Were there criticisms of Manning? Sure there were. But there were much more criticisms of the team and the FO. When Manning lost here, most fans put the losses on him specifically.

    I disagree that Peyton's treatment by the media and fans in Indy was very respectful. Just because it wasn't extreme like Philly or NY doesn't mean it was always respectful. But hey I understand that comes with the territory. Especially when you're greatest foe was arguably the best QB ever.

    At the end of the day, we are arguing semantics really. I'm not even disagreeing with you about Manning's personal feelings towards the city or the franchise. Of course he should have a statue outside of the Luke - he's the sole reason the franchise is still in Indy.

    I guess I just find it funny that since the announcement of his retirement, there are so many Colt fans that wish to think of Manning so fondly when that wasn't always the case during his tenure here. Obviously there are MANY Colt fans that always held Peyton in higher regard. But those that have consistently bought into the idea that he was somehow overrated or a "choker" should save it.

    But again, semantics that don't really matter in the grand scheme of things. He had a great career, and is retiring. Whether he's remembered as a Colt or a Bronco doesn't really matter because he did great things with both teams.

    And I'll fully admit that I may be a bit biased due to my tendency to agree more with Bronco fans (as a whole) on their thoughts of Manning as a player.
    Last edited by Ace E.Anderson; 03-08-2016 at 12:00 PM.

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:


  29. #70
    13/31 Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    39
    Posts
    51,263

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: According to the Denver Post, Peyton Manning will ride off into the sunset

    Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This may be out already, but the Colts will honor Manning March 18 at noon at the Colts complex.
    — Bob Kravitz (@bkravitz) March 7, 2016
    The 18th, eh? Appropriate.

  30. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:


  31. #71
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    22,392

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: According to the Denver Post, Peyton Manning will ride off into the sunset

    Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ehh idk about that. I am a part of a Broncos message board and he is thought of much more positively than he is here. It's really not close either.

    I think the embarrassment that took place against the Seahawks was obviously a brutal loss for Manning and the Broncos. But their fans (the ones that I know) didn't take it the same way as when the Colts lost to the Saints in the SB. Were there criticisms of Manning? Sure there were. But there were much more criticisms of the team and the FO. When Manning lost here, most fans put the losses on him specifically.

    I disagree that Peyton's treatment by the media and fans in Indy was very respectful. Just because it wasn't extreme like Philly or NY doesn't mean it was always respectful. But hey I understand that comes with the territory. Especially when you're greatest foe was arguably the best QB ever.

    At the end of the day, we are arguing semantics really. I'm not even disagreeing with you about Manning's personal feelings towards the city or the franchise. Of course he should have a statue outside of the Luke - he's the sole reason the franchise is still in Indy.

    I guess I just find it funny that since the announcement of his retirement, there are so many Colt fans that wish to think of Manning so fondly when that wasn't always the case during his tenure here. Obviously there are MANY Colt fans that always held Peyton in higher regard. But those that have consistently bought into the idea that he was somehow overrated or a "choker" should save it.

    But again, semantics that don't really matter in the grand scheme of things. He had a great career, and is retiring. Whether he's remembered as a Colt or a Bronco doesn't really matter because he did great things with both teams.

    And I'll fully admit that I may be a bit biased due to my tendency to agree more with Bronco fans (as a whole) on their thoughts of Manning as a player.

    Your renouncing of your Colts fandom a couple years ago and your extreme bias towards Manning over the Colts and the Indy fan base is really clouding your perception here.

    A Broncos postgame thread after they were drilled by Seattle:



    So we're gonna sit here and blame John Fox when Peyton Manning folded like a cheap pretzel in a big game again?
    Peyton is a frontrunner. When the going is good he is fine but things get a little sticky and he never fails to choke.
    This is on Peyton... Period.



    --------------------------------------
    I don't know if it's possible, but if Johnny Football is on the board and a team is willing to accept Peyton Manning for that pick... DO IT.

    ------------------------------------------

    Our leader played scared and the rest of the team folded up their tent and went home about midway through the second quarter.

    Once they saw Peyton was petrified they figured they had no chance, and they quit.

    All of his critics who said he was a choker were right. He only won that first Super Bowl because Grossman happened to choke harder.

    I've never been so disillusioned in my life. I actually believed Peyton would handle the pressure and shut everyone up.


    ----------------------------

    Manning is the best qb ever in regular season but average AT BEST in the post season... You can't be one of the greatest qb ever if you don't win superbowl if you have all the great tooks to do it... A great overall qb wouldn't be 11-12 (13?) in playoffs

    Manning is not a leader, nice guy, but to soft. He is the best option we have right now, but we need a elite D that can create turnovers to surround Manning when the going gets tough. The D played well for the bad position they were in. Irving saved a TD, and defense held them to 2 field goals with bad field position.

    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/show...Post-game-rant


    That's a 98 page thread, but I was able to easily pluck all of that out in just a copule minutes.

    Any fan base is going to have people who say stuff like that. Remember, fan is short for fanatic. At the end of the day, we're all rooting for grown men who play a game for Christ's sake. No one subset of fans is really that different than the other. Sure there were Colts fans who said stuff like that, but most Colts fans around here absolutely worshiped Manning. He had God-like status in Indy. Hell, he still has it. Local news sites like WTHR have still put him on the front page during the years he's been gone. Kravitz absolutely adores him. The media coverage here towards him was glowing. Sure there was some frustration, but it's 13 years you're talking about. That's a long time and we had some losses that were tough to take. It was normal reactions that would have been no different than anywhere else.

    You always make it seem like Colts fans are unique with the biases they have, but it's just not the case. Most fans really aren't that different than fans in another city.

  32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  33. #72
    Member Ace E.Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    16,770

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: According to the Denver Post, Peyton Manning will ride off into the sunset

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Your renouncing of your Colts fandom a couple years ago and your extreme bias towards Manning over the Colts and the Indy fan base is really clouding your perception here.
    I've never renounced my fandom from the Colts. I may not be a complete fanatic of the team, but I have rooting interest in them because they are the home team. I'm sure my lack of identification with players on the team plays a part in what may seem like a negative outlook, but unless they were playing Manning - I haven't rooted against them. I certainly do not have disdain for the team in any way, and typically catch a game or two at the Luke every season.

    I admitted that my bias towards Manning may cloud my perception a bit, but I don't think it's to the extreme that you believe. I think your own bias towards the Colts franchise clouds your perception a bit as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sure there were Colts fans who said stuff like that, but most Colts fans around here absolutely worshiped Manning. He had God-like status in Indy. Hell, he still has it. Local news sites like WTHR have still put him on the front page during the years he's been gone. Kravitz absolutely adores him. The media coverage here towards him was glowing. Sure there was some frustration, but it's 13 years you're talking about. That's a long time and we had some losses that were tough to take. It was normal reactions that would have been no different than anywhere else.
    I will agree to disagree here. Of course it's all love now, they're celebrating his career. But prior to his retirement announcement, I know just as many Colt fans who have negative sentiments towards Peyton as I know individuals that place him on a high pedestal. Again, I think you could look through a few old threads here and see that. Again, just agree to disagree.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You always make it seem like Colts fans are unique with the biases they have, but it's just not the case. Most fans really aren't that different than fans in another city.
    I ONLY think that as it pertains to Andrew Luck and the Patriots. Other than that, Colts fans are no more fanatic as fans of other franchises.

  34. #73

    Default Re: According to the Denver Post, Peyton Manning will ride off into the sunset

    Personally, I kind of went from one side to the other while Peyton was here. At first, I loved watching the guy play and enjoyed his interviews after the games. Eventually though, (and these are MY perceptions) the playoff losses started getting too common and almost expected and his interaction with the media was so scripted, calculated and ......... well, just dry, repetitive and uninformative. I kind of thought he just sold out. Not on the game - he is what he is there - Greatest Regular Season QB ever - but he (and his PR group) mapped out a plan and he just followed it. It just got old after a while. But - that's my opinion - others may vary ......

  35. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:


  36. #74
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,486

    Default Re: According to the Denver Post, Peyton Manning will ride off into the sunset

    I was told the general population in Denver (as of a year ago) wasn't all that enamored with Peyton. Sure, he was their QB, but they didn't have the emotional investment in him like Indy fans did.
    Look at the number of people that followed him to another team and became Broncos fans. Some of them even deciding they were no longer Colts fans. I mean the local CBS affiliate started showing Broncos games!

    But I don't think we'd have seen that had Manning left Denver and went somewhere else. Not in Denver I mean. All those Manning fans from Indy would've immediately switched allegiances to the new Manning team. Denver fans would've just been worried about Denver. And in Indiana those Denver fans from last year wouldn't even be able to tell you who was starting at QB for the Broncos.

    Manning only played 4 more years after leaving the Colts. 4 short years. It's pretty easy to see in hindsight what many saw back then and that is the gamble wasn't worth it for only a few short more years when the long term success of the team was on the line. And it wasn't even a guarantee of 4 more years of greatness. It was a gamble if he'd play again, and how long. Reoccurrence of the neck issue was always there. And let's be honest, Manning's 4th year was anything but greatness at the QB position. Of course there should be a lesson in that 4th year for Irsay and other NFL owners and execs about team building for championships and the future.

    Personally, I think Manning himself realizes this. He isn't going to be as hurt and carrying grudges and biases as some fans are over it.

    Lastly, all the negativity toward Irsay IMHO is misdirected (speaking of biases). You should be blaming Polian for building the team in such a way that without Manning they were ever in this position in the first place. In a year when the SB was to be played in Indy, the Colts should've been STACKED. It should've been their best team of any team in the Manning era. They should've been able to at least sniff .500 without Manning. If they were true SB contenders not solely relying on Manning's arm. And then there wouldn't have been any Luck pick to be concerned with, and any question to what kind of team Manning would have around him the following season upon his return. And the team still would've had a decent first round pick... just not the FIRST pick... or second pick...
    Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:


  38. #75
    Member Ace E.Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    16,770

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: According to the Denver Post, Peyton Manning will ride off into the sunset

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lastly, all the negativity toward Irsay IMHO is misdirected (speaking of biases). You should be blaming Polian for building the team in such a way that without Manning they were ever in this position in the first place
    First let me say - great post. Very objective.

    Who has spoken negatively towards Irsay? I don't see why he would be spoken of negatively (outside of the non-football stuff of course)

    I actually feel that Polian did a good job as well. We were ALWAYS a competitive team. It's just hard to win SB's. But it's even harder to be that good for that long IMO.

    In his latter years Polian could have been a lot better, and then his son was just not fit for the job. Manning's final year or two in Indy were a part of a team that was terribly flawed on both sides of the ball.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But I don't think we'd have seen that had Manning left Denver and went somewhere else. Not in Denver I mean. All those Manning fans from Indy would've immediately switched allegiances to the new Manning team. Denver fans would've just been worried about Denver. And in Indiana those Denver fans from last year wouldn't even be able to tell you who was starting at QB for the Broncos.
    I can agree with this sentiment. Just as there aren't as many Denver extremists with negative sentiments towards Manning, I'm sure there aren't as many Denver extremists with the same connection that many Indy fans have. But...

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was told the general population in Denver (as of a year ago) wasn't all that enamored with Peyton
    That's not the sentiment that I was told when I went to a game in Denver or during my time being a part of a Broncos message board. At least that's not the way that I would word it.

    I'd say Denver fans respected Peyton for what he was and what he could do to help their franchise win. He wasn't Elway (dude is larger than life in Bronco country - rightfully so) but he was respected as their QB. Outside of the occasional crazies, there weren't (many) extreme feelings regarding him positively or negatively. But they definitely respected him for his accomplishments and for the great player that he is/was.

    They also appreciated the way that Manning had turned their franchise back into a premier franchise. After years of mediocre to above average QB play, Bronco fans seemed to relish in playing on primetime television again. Again they appreciated that having Manning as their QB brought that back to their franchise.

    As I mentioned earlier he wasn't thought of in a similar fashion as Elway. Elway is to Denver what Favre is to GB. In spite of their failures or their issues they had individually, those guys are overwhelmingly thought of positively by the majority of those fans.

    And I guess I wish that Manning was thought of similarly here by the majority of fans. Obviously you have the fans that love and adore him, the same fans that followed him to Denver as you mentioned. But there are just as many fans that have that negative, bittersweet feeling towards him. Compared to guys like Elway and Farve, Manning was probably better than both. Yet he still has that negative, choker stigma with a lot of Colt fans. Which is really the only thing I was trying to convey to Sollozo. It doesn't make one set of fans any better than the other, it's just a noticeable difference with a fanbase and all time great player.

  39. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •