Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: According to the Denver Post, Peyton Manning will ride off into the sunset

Default Re: According to the Denver Post, Peyton Manning will ride off into the sunset

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Peyton is maybe going out with a ring and he's being scrutinized for it. That's the story of his career. Look up Brady's playoff stats, they're not close to blowing Peyton out of the water or anything. But one's a choker and one's a champ. Peyton's the most over-scrutinized athlete I've ever seen.
    Its up there I agree but the same could be said for LeBron, Wilt back in the day, and Kobe too. The media has their narratives and will die by them. Its why the media wants Peyton to retire he ruined all their narratives and they have nothing else to say about him. Sure they can say he should retire on top and not ruin his legacy and that's a legit thing to say but that's all they can say at this point about his career and it kills them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Montana, best as I recall, was still pretty darned good when he retired. I remember his final game and the commentator (Dierdorf I believe) saying he didn't play like a guy that was ready for retirement. But soon after that game he did announce his retirement.

I don't think there was any question KC wanted him back if he wanted to play. But there's a pretty good chance Denver doesn't even want Manning back. Winning a SB negates the season's bad play. But playing like that next season, and not having a defense to keep the score close (even capable of scoring themselves), is not going to fare well for his legacy. Sure, Johnny U and Willie Mays are remembered as greats of their games.... But they are also remembered for embarrassing themselves at the end of their careers. That is where Peyton is potentially now. Montana completely avoided that.
    He was effective and compared to what KC had at QB before but its not like he got them to an SB (let alone two appearances) he had two decent seasons but considering people judged him by his success with SF it was rather "underachieving".

However his body couldn't hold up in the end which is why he retired.

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    Maybe, but I think you're underrating the NFL importance to Peyton. He didn't grow up with his dream being to play college ball. Nah it was to play in the NFL and by some chance it turned out to be his favorite team the Colts for 13 years. Understand I'm not poo poohing the Vol attachment. I think 13 years of being the leader of the Colts probably equals his 4 years with his college team. All these guys have a fondness for their college teams. Shoot they show that every game when they show which college they came from. Simply his greatest achievement happened when he was a Colt. Didn't win a national championship in college, wasn't the driving force for the current Bronco SB, but he could take a lot of credit for the Colts Super Bowl run/win. When Peyton said in his press conference "I'll always be your quarterback" he meant it.
    I find that funny coming from you considering you always talk about how he just said that as "lip service" he is a businessman after all. So why would the Colts mean more than Denver? They are both business arrangements to him.

The Colts weren't his favorite team growing up it was the Saints(an unfortunate irony as we later experienced in SB 44) I mean sure he liked Johnny U and all but its not like he's a Colt for life(even Johnny U wasn't a Colt for life either).

I find it laughable you don't think him winning an SB with a Bronco wasn't just as important to him probably more because he went through a lot more just to get there and the kids are around for this one.

The reason why I think him being a Vol matters more to him is because well it is college and that's the one connection he always cares about.

I don't see that affection for the Colts or Broncos from him beyond honoring the 2006 and 2015 teams in the future.
    Last edited by Basketball Fan; 03-04-2016 at 10:20 PM.

Default Re: According to the Denver Post, Peyton Manning will ride off into the sunset

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Oh come on, he was not "equally impactful" for both franchises. 13 years > 4 years. Yes, he had a very successful run with Denver, no doubt about that, but his run in Indy lasted many many years and he won a Super Bowl here in the prime of his career. Manning would have obviously been an eternal NFL legend even if his injury would have forced him to retire back in 2011. Most NFL fans will always think of Manning as a Colt first and foremost. Go ask a Pats fan if they think of Manning more as a Colt or Bronco.....I bet almost 100% of them would think of him as a Colt first.

Manning has to have more love in his heart for Indy and the Colts......there's just no way he couldn't. He gave the franchise its Indy identity and was literally the reason that the spectacular stadium was built. He transformed the Colts into a powerhouse franchise. He put a name on his hospital here. He was responsible for thousands and thousands and thousands of people developing an interest in the Colts which has turned into lifelong fandom. He grew up here as he was only a 22 year old young man when he arrived. Manning quite simply was the Colts. The Broncos OTOH had a long established tradition and fanbase before Manning came. They offered him a nice place for the twilight of his career, but he didn't build the franchise or anything like he did here.

His Broncos career was certainly very memorable, but does not even touch the impact of what he did in Indy. Just go back and watch the video where Peyton came back and got that standing ovation. The look on his face and the connection with the fans said it all. Manning is a Colt forever and no one knows that more than Manning. He was utterly devastated when he had to leave the Colts.
    Longevity is all the Colts have here there was nothing he did in Indy that he didn't do in Denver. Won an MVP, won an SB, broke records(most with Denver) yes there's more of a personal attachment but I'm talking professional here.

I see Manning's career trajectory to be the equivalent of Wilt Chamberlain's. Both statistical wonders, dominant force in their sport and iconic pitchmen(although I think Wilt was more of a movie star). They also got criticized for not winning enough championships and coming up short when it matters. Despite the fact they both won two championships with two different franchises.

When it comes to Wilt's career people remember he was an icon of the sport one of the greatest ever to the point where the team he played for didn't really matter because people remembered Wilt was that amazing player.

Its not like Russell/Celtics or Brady/Patriots

Jordan/Bulls people forget he played for the Wizards half the time but he didn't do anything of merit.

So when it comes to Manning I think most people will remember him as a great player regardless of whether it was in Indy or Denver.

In the end its a business and he wasn't that devastated to not continue his career elsewhere after the Colts dumped him and when the Broncos dump him and if he decides to continue his career elsewhere it will be the same thing. They were both equally important places to his career but that's about it.
    Last edited by Basketball Fan; 03-04-2016 at 10:39 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    Longevity is all the Colts have here there was nothing he did in Indy that he didn't do in Denver. Won an MVP, won an SB, broke records(most with Denver) yes there's more of a personal attachment but I'm talking professional here.

I see Manning's career trajectory to be the equivalent of Wilt Chamberlain's. Both statistical wonders, dominant force in their sport and iconic pitchmen(although I think Wilt was more of a movie star). They also got criticized for not winning enough championships and coming up short when it matters. Despite the fact they both won two championships with two different franchises.

When it comes to Wilt's career people remember he was an icon of the sport one of the greatest ever to the point where the team he played for didn't really matter because people remembered Wilt was that amazing player.

Its not like Russell/Celtics or Brady/Patriots

Jordan/Bulls people forget he played for the Wizards half the time but he didn't do anything of merit.

So when it comes to Manning I think most people will remember him as a great player regardless of whether it was in Indy or Denver.

In the end its a business and he wasn't that devastated to not continue his career elsewhere after the Colts dumped him and when the Broncos dump him and if he decides to continue his career elsewhere it will be the same thing. They were both equally important places to his career but that's about it.
    I think he will be remembered more as a Colt. The longevity, the Colts/Pats rivalry, the offense they had, the SB with with Dungy.

And quite possibly the biggest thing to determine it is that as great as Peyton was for the Bronco's, he's not their best QB ever. Elway will be that guy for awhile.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    I think he will be remembered more as a Colt. The longevity, the Colts/Pats rivalry, the offense they had, the SB with with Dungy.

And quite possibly the biggest thing to determine it is that as great as Peyton was for the Bronco's, he's not their best QB ever. Elway will be that guy for awhile.

The Colts/Pats aren't a real rivalry(it became competitive when we actually beat them) but its been one sided unfortunately it would be like the Broncos saying the Colts are a rival when we own them just as badly. The Broncos had a better offense in 2013. And he won an SB with Kubiak.

Manning isn't even considered to be the best Colts QB ever by some people either. Johnny Unitas played for this franchise(just in Baltimore)

To Indy Colts fans yes he is but again I think to most people the team is irrelevant where he's concerned because he was equally successful in both franchises.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

because he was equally successful in both franchises.
    Lol, no he was not. Where in the world are you getting this? There's no piece of objective measurement that could support the assertion that he was "equally successful" both places.

- 13 years in a Colts uniform (throwing out 2011 obviously) vs. 4 years as a Bronco. So that means WAY MORE touchdowns, wins, yards, completions, etc as a Colt.

- 4 MVP's as a Colt vs. 1 as a Bronco

- 11 Pro Bowls as a Colt vs. 3 as a Bronco

- Look at all of the legendary duos and relationships that he had in Indy. Him and Harrison are the greatest WR-QB of all time. Him and Wayne were a great duo. Him and Dungy had the long run together.

- Yes he won a Super Bowl in both places, but in Indy he won a Super Bowl when he was the greatest QB in the league at the apex of his career. In Denver, he won it in a season where he was pretty much the worst QB in the league, missed time to injury as an almost 40 year old, and was carried by the defense.

- Manning's brain, experience, and softer NFL rules allowed him to have that 55 TD season, but that's not the best he ever played. He still had a diminished skill set because of the limitation from the injury. The best Manning ever played was absolutely in the mid to late 2000's when he had the perfect mix of experience and physical abilities. When we see Manning highlight reels in 15 years, are we going to see more of the short passes he threw in Denver or the long bombs he used to throw in Indy when he was at his peak?

- His Indy career on its own would be a HOF career. His Denver career alone obviously is not. It all boils down to that.

- Then there's the whole thing about how he literally built the Colts franchise from an afterthought that was playing in a crappy dome with blackouts to an elite franchise that won a championship and played in a state of the art stadium with massive fan support. Manning was the Colts and is unquestionably the greatest player in the Indy era and IMO is the greatest Colt period. Manning was great for the Broncos, but he did not build the franchise's identity or fanbase as both of those things were already strong when he got there. Look at how Manning teared up when he left Indy. Do you really think he'll get that emotional about leaving the Denver Broncos? He'll be emotional about retiring from the game whenever that happens, but he won't be crying for the Denver Broncos and city of Denver like he did with Indy and the Colts. He has a hospital in Indy for Christ's sake. Denver has been a nice business arrangement for him, but Indy was may more than just business for him. The tears when he was cut and the look on his face when he came back said it all. This was far more than just business.

I'm sorry, but this is just the most blatantly obvious thing ever.....it's just a bit strange to me that you keep insisting that Manning's Indy tenure and Denver tenure are equally successful when it's just not anywhere close to being objectively true.

Go to a Patriots website....or hell go to a the website of some team that had no rivalry with the Colts like the Minnesota Vikings. Ask them if when all is said and done, they'll think of Manning more as a Colt, Bronco, or equal both places. I bet almost 100% would think of him as a Colt first.

Look at ilive4sports' post. He's an Eagles fan who I'm guessing is pretty much indifferent on the Colts since the two teams only play every four years. He thinks of Manning as a Colt first. I'm guessing almost everyone across the NFL landscape would agree.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 03-06-2016 at 01:29 AM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Colts/Pats aren't a real rivalry(it became competitive when we actually beat them) but its been one sided unfortunately it would be like the Broncos saying the Colts are a rival when we own them just as badly. The Broncos had a better offense in 2013. And he won an SB with Kubiak.

Manning isn't even considered to be the best Colts QB ever by some people either. Johnny Unitas played for this franchise(just in Baltimore)

To Indy Colts fans yes he is but again I think to most people the team is irrelevant where he's concerned because he was equally successful in both franchises.
    Yeah, Sollozo nailed it above. Its very very short sighted to say he had the same impact in Denver as he did in Indy. And while Unitas is an all time great, he doesn't touch Peyton. Peyton changed the league as a Colt. And the Colts and Pats were absolutely a rival. I'm not a Colts or Pats fan. And its clear as day that those two teams were rivals.

And let's not act like Peyton wasn't benched in the Bronco's SB winning season. He was successful in both franchises, but far from equally.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

To add to the Manning/Colts' legacy he also has Hall Of Famers that were his teammates and coach. That's got to count for something too... playing with people that turned out to be Hall of Famers... that he can proudly point to and realize he had a hand in their run to the Hall.
    Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Have to admit I figured he would want to be released and retire from the NFL and not as a Bronco regardless I knew he was going to retire all along. My guess is Elway wanted him to hold off until Brock was signed.

I wanted to edit the original post but it won't let you around here.

Regardless its time but still makes me sad. Between this and Kobe's retirement my sports fandom is going to be really empty now as far as individual players.

Last edited by Basketball Fan; 03-06-2016 at 10:45 AM.

Lol, no he was not. Where in the world are you getting this? There's no piece of objective measurement that could support the assertion that he was "equally successful" both places.

- 13 years in a Colts uniform (throwing out 2011 obviously) vs. 4 years as a Bronco. So that means WAY MORE touchdowns, wins, yards, completions, etc as a Colt.

- Look at all of the legendary duos and relationships that he had in Indy. Him and Harrison are the greatest WR-QB of all time. Him and Wayne were a great duo. Him and Dungy had the long run together.

- Yes he won a Super Bowl in both places, but in Indy he won a Super Bowl when he was the greatest QB in the league at the apex of his career. In Denver, he won it in a season where he was pretty much the worst QB in the league, missed time to injury as an almost 40 year old, and was carried by the defense.

- Manning's brain, experience, and softer NFL rules allowed him to have that 55 TD season, but that's not the best he ever played. He still had a diminished skill set because of the limitation from the injury. The best Manning ever played was absolutely in the mid to late 2000's when he had the perfect mix of experience and physical abilities. When we see Manning highlight reels in 15 years, are we going to see more of the short passes he threw in Denver or the long bombs he used to throw in Indy when he was at his peak?

- His Indy career on its own would be a HOF career. His Denver career alone obviously is not. It all boils down to that.

- Then there's the whole thing about how he literally built the Colts franchise from an afterthought that was playing in a crappy dome with blackouts to an elite franchise that won a championship and played in a state of the art stadium with massive fan support. Manning was the Colts and is unquestionably the greatest player in the Indy era and IMO is the greatest Colt period. Manning was great for the Broncos, but he did not build the franchise's identity or fanbase as both of those things were already strong when he got there. Look at how Manning teared up when he left Indy. Do you really think he'll get that emotional about leaving the Denver Broncos? He'll be emotional about retiring from the game whenever that happens, but he won't be crying for the Denver Broncos and city of Denver like he did with Indy and the Colts. He has a hospital in Indy for Christ's sake. Denver has been a nice business arrangement for him, but Indy was may more than just business for him. The tears when he was cut and the look on his face when he came back said it all. This was far more than just business.

I'm sorry, but this is just the most blatantly obvious thing ever.....it's just a bit strange to me that you keep insisting that Manning's Indy tenure and Denver tenure are equally successful when it's just not anywhere close to being objectively true.

Go to a Patriots website....or hell go to a the website of some team that had no rivalry with the Colts like the Minnesota Vikings. Ask them if when all is said and done, they'll think of Manning more as a Colt, Bronco, or equal both places. I bet almost 100% would think of him as a Colt first.

Look at ilive4sports' post. He's an Eagles fan who I'm guessing is pretty much indifferent on the Colts since the two teams only play every four years. He thinks of Manning as a Colt first. I'm guessing almost everyone across the NFL landscape would agree.
    Yet he won more playoff games vs the Pats as a Bronco than he did as a Colt. I think people around here want to dismiss his stint in Denver as nothing compared to Indy. He played here longer but Denver got just as much out of him for a 1/3rd of the time as Indy did.

They got more out of him in 4 years than other teams have from QBs their entire career. I don't get how you don't consider that HOF worthy on stats alone.

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    Yeah, Sollozo nailed it above. Its very very short sighted to say he had the same impact in Denver as he did in Indy. And while Unitas is an all time great, he doesn't touch Peyton. Peyton changed the league as a Colt. And the Colts and Pats were absolutely a rival. I'm not a Colts or Pats fan. And its clear as day that those two teams were rivals.

And let's not act like Peyton wasn't benched in the Bronco's SB winning season. He was successful in both franchises, but far from equally.

And he came back and won an SB while the Colts dumped him for someone else never giving him a shot to return. At least with Denver he was old and it happens to them all. The Colts never wanted him back.

Its a business at the end of the day. But I think he's in the rarefied air where the team he played for was secondary to his abilities.
    Last edited by Basketball Fan; 03-06-2016 at 10:15 AM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm going to be slightly annoyed if Peyton doesn't retire a Colt.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulGeorgeForPresident View Post
    I'm going to be slightly annoyed if Peyton doesn't retire a Colt.
    Considering he's having the PC tomorrow at Denver I'm going on a limb and say he's retiring with the Broncos(that part surprised me more than his actual retirement) I expected him to wait till the Broncos released him and then retire as a member of neither team. It would've been the PC thing to do.

However people shouldn't feel slighted over him choosing to retire with Denver. I mean his last game wasn't as a Colt why would it matter if he retired as one?

Its not as if people are going to forget he was ever a Colt.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Eh - I don't care which team any player retires as. Very few these days play for the same franchise their entire career. I'll remember his times as both a Colt & Bronco. He was fun to watch, he was frustrating to watch. For BOTH teams.

Last edited by Basketball Fan; 03-06-2016 at 12:47 PM.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Well...the question is now....what does he do from here on?

Yet he won more playoff games vs the Pats as a Bronco than he did as a Colt. I think people around here want to dismiss his stint in Denver as nothing compared to Indy. He played here longer but Denver got just as much out of him for a 1/3rd of the time as Indy did.

They got more out of him in 4 years than other teams have from QBs their entire career. I don't get how you don't consider that HOF worthy on stats alone.

And he came back and won an SB while the Colts dumped him for someone else never giving him a shot to return. At least with Denver he was old and it happens to them all. The Colts never wanted him back.

Its a business at the end of the day. But I think he's in the rarefied air where the team he played for was secondary to his abilities.

OK, I haven't seen a soul on this forum dismissing his stint in Denver as "nothing" compared to Indy. What he did in Denver was very remarkable, especially when you consider the nature of that vicious injury he had five years ago. It was amazing that he once again returned to being the best quarterback in the league. No one will ever forget what he did in Denver. It was a very successful four year run.

Now, that being said.....and I try to say this as respectfully as possible.......it's just completely absurd to think that his tenure in Denver is anywhere close to being equally important or successful to what he did in Indy. Mike and Mike just said that while you don't go into the NFL HOF with a particular team, he will absolutely be remembered as a Colt first.

The nature of the divorce from the Colts is irrelevant. It doesn't change what happened in those 13 years he played for the Colts. You can't erase them or the nature of his stardom for all of those years with the Colts. Very few people in the history of sports have completely owned the stature of a franchise like he did with the Colts. Even with Brady, Belichick has been around for the same amount of years.

Go poll a couple forums of random teams like the Minnesota Vikings and Tampa Bay Bucs. Ask them if if they think Manning is more of a Colt, Bronco, or equal. I bet the results would be like 99% in favor of the Colts.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

I find that funny coming from you considering you always talk about how he just said that as "lip service" he is a businessman after all. So why would the Colts mean more than Denver? They are both business arrangements to him.

The Colts weren't his favorite team growing up it was the Saints(an unfortunate irony as we later experienced in SB 44) I mean sure he liked Johnny U and all but its not like he's a Colt for life(even Johnny U wasn't a Colt for life either).

I find it laughable you don't think him winning an SB with a Bronco wasn't just as important to him probably more because he went through a lot more just to get there and the kids are around for this one.

The reason why I think him being a Vol matters more to him is because well it is college and that's the one connection he always cares about.

I don't see that affection for the Colts or Broncos from him beyond honoring the 2006 and 2015 teams in the future.
    Glad I brought you such great humor... don't remember me saying Peyton was only a businessman and only worried about his image. Thanks for putting words in my mouth that were not there.

Edit: Let me add this. Yes part of my job was to be a prick so Peyton didn't have to. Not exactly ground breaking news and my function was no different if I was covering any other player. My frustrations with Peyton is he would have double standards at times and it would make me look foolish. He would tell me "I'm not signing anyone wearing a jersey today". So while he's working the line I'm telling people who have their sharpie in hand wearing their jersey and thinking he will sign it they need to hurry up and come up with something else to sign. They're disappointed and scrambling to find something. And as Peyton approaches he doesn't sign but he sure would for some good looking female standing there, no problem. Well the fans don't give Peyton that **** look and I would get to take in all the man you lied to us, blah blah blah.

Understood it was part of the job and I knew it from year 1 till year 6. But to say I have only talked about Peyton being all about business is wrong. You might want to ask others members in here if that's all I ever said.
    Last edited by RWB; 03-07-2016 at 10:52 AM.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

27. The Following User Says Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It seems that the argument about Manning moves from one goalpost to another depending on the topic. Some say that with great SB's are the only thing that matters. If that's the case, then Manning was equally as successful as a Bronco in a much shorter amount of time.

If you want to talk about all of Manning's statistical accomplishments, then you have a tremendous point. He did most of his damage during his extremely long peak as an Indianapolis Colt. If you want to discuss his impact on the franchise and the city then yes - you have a great point as well. We all know how lowly the Colts were thought of before 18 was around.

At the same token, all you have to do is look through old posts about Peyton here on PD to see that many still see Manning's time as a Colt as a minor disappointment of some sort (unjustifiably so IMO). Whether it's casual fans, Grady and Big Joe (can't stand them anymore), hell even Jim Irsay - a lot of people have at least some negative connotation towards Manning's time here. I would venture to bet that very few feel that way about Peyton and his time in Denver.

Perhaps it's the age old "die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain" type of ideology.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Manning has to have more love in his heart for Indy and the Colts......there's just no way he couldn't.

Ehh idk. After the way he was overly scrutinized with every move and easily shown the door once he was injured, I definitely think there's some question to this.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    Ehh idk. After the way he was overly scrutinized with every move and easily shown the door once he was injured, I definitely think there's some question to this.

Nah, no question at all. The look on his face at the farewell press conference and especially during the return in 2013 says it all. Any personal grudges with Irsay or anyone else had nothing to do with the love he felt for the horseshoe and fanbase. I wouldn't say he was "easily" shown the door either....seems like it was a pretty brutal process for Irsay.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 03-07-2016 at 10:49 AM.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Nah, no question at all. The look on his face at the farewell press conference and especially during the return in 2013 says it all.
    That farewell press conference was a long time ago. I mean of course he has love for the city. But I'm 100% sure he doesn't forget being shown the door with relative ease. Im also sure he doesn't forget the way he was overly scrutinized by the fans and local media.

To say there's absolutely zero question at all is to say we can read his mind.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

It seems that the argument about Manning moves from one goalpost to another depending on the topic. Some say that with great SB's are the only thing that matters. If that's the case, then Manning was equally as successful as a Bronco in a much shorter amount of time.
    But I wouldn't say it's an equal amount of success. He was the best quarterback in the league when the Colts made both of their Super Bowls. He was certainly the best quarterback in the league when Denver made it in 2013, but he was basically the worst quarterback in the league in 2015 who was pretty much a game manager that rode the defense when he came back. A great story and amazing way to end his career, but it is not the same thing as the other three Super Bowls in which he was the best.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 03-07-2016 at 11:00 AM.

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    Well...the question is now....what does he do from here on?
    Pizza delivery?
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

39. The Following User Says Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

That farewell press conference was a long time ago. I mean of course he has love for the city. But I'm 100% sure he doesn't forget being shown the door with relative ease. Im also sure he doesn't forget the way he was overly scrutinized by the fans and local media.

To say there's absolutely zero question at all is to say we can read his mind.
    I'm sure he will always be ticked about being shown the door, but it was pretty much one person (Irsay) who ultimately made that decision. Michael Jordan pretty much despised the Bulls management who basically forced that era to end, but it doesn't change the love he had for Chicago and wearing the Bulls uniform.

"Overly scrutinized"?????? Meh, welcome to pro sports. The Indy media and fanbase are kid gloves compared to the type of criticism and scrutiny he would have received if he played in a large market like New York, Philly, or Chicago. Besides, a huge chunk of the Manning criticism out there came from the national media machine.

We can't read his mind, but we can look at the eyes of someone and to me it was the most abundantly clear thing ever that he still felt tons of love for Indy and the fans when he came back in 2013.

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post: