Thread: Someone give Rick Barry a hand...he's being crushed by his giant ego.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Someone give Rick Barry a hand...he's being crushed by his giant ego.

Anyone else see his interview on ESPN? What a first-class jackass.

-He said that nobody who has ever written anything bad about his personality has been correct and wouldnt comment further (pretty much proving them right).

-Said that he is being blackballed as a coaching candidate because he drives people to win too hard, but is no different than Jordan or Bird in that respect That must be why they have 9 rings and you have 1, right?

-Suggested that the new CBA should be set up so the MAXIMUM guarenteed salary would be $2 million (a little jealous, Rick?), and the players would be paid a little extra for every win.

-His finest moment was when he said Shaq should start shooting free throws underhanded, and that will "never be a go-to player" until he does. Um, ok Rick.

........and he wonders why nobody wants him NEAR an NBA franchise.......

might I remind people that this is the same guy that routinely switched LEAGUES in the 60's and 70's, playing for the highest bidder?

Probably one of the most underrated jerks of all time. Good to see time hasn't changed him any.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Default Re: Someone give Rick Barry a hand...he's being crushed by his giant ego.

Why was he interviewed?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Default Re: Someone give Rick Barry a hand...he's being crushed by his giant ego.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why was he interviewed?
    Probably because he wanted to put his name out there for a coaching position. Also probably why he acted all insulted when he was asked why so many bad things have been written about his character......

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

He has a sports talk show on the radio here. He's offered his free throw teaching services to Shaq before. He's good buddies with Skip Bayless (who was writing for the SJ Mercury News immediately prior to joining the Cold Pizza crew) and used to have him on his show once or twice a week. Talk about a couple of jerkstores. Can't stand either one of 'em but both at the same time? Yuck.

It is probably true that he's been blackballed to a certain extent because you can see similarities with how Kareem is treated. Wish he'd stop being such a whiner about it. Talking about how he'd push players and make them bear responsibility for their play but cries about how he just can't be responsible for everyone hating him. They're wrong, I'm being picked on. Boo hoo Rick, boo hoo.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

The guy is a jerk and always has been. But to a degree he's right about Shaq's FT shooting and the underhand. With the size of Shaq's paw and the wrist problem he should at least give it a try. But when asked about it he commented to the effect that he'd be laughed off the court for doing it. Thus showing me how important winning wasn't to him. IMO you do what ya gotta do to help better yourself. If he could improve by say 3 made FT's / game, how much better would his team be? How much higher would his own ppg stat be?

Ya do what ya gotta do.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Shaq should try ft shooting underhand, it is supposedly a more efficient technique once mastered. Miami's FT shooting is going to cost them multiple games in this playoff season methinks.

Agreed on both points.

Rick Barry always has been and always will be a world-class JERK. He is such a jerk, I have a hard time liking his kids.....

Shaq should definitely try thinking outside the box with his FT shooting woes. Actually, go ahead Shaq, let pride get in the way and continue to let your opponents exploit the biggest weakness in your game.....FINE by me....

As much as Shaq is respected and liked around the league, I hardly think that he would be laughed off the court for shooting underhanded. He is just afraid that they might. I think players would respect him more for doing what it took to eliminate a huge, glaring problem with his game. Increased efficiency at the line would also help cement that 'greatest ever' title he wants so badly......

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by heywoode
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agreed on both points.

Rick Barry always has been and always will be a world-class JERK. He is such a jerk, I have a hard time liking his kids.....

Shaq should definitely try thinking outside the box with his FT shooting woes. Actually, go ahead Shaq, let pride get in the way and continue to let your opponents exploit the biggest weakness in your game.....FINE by me....

As much as Shaq is respected and liked around the league, I hardly think that he would be laughed off the court for shooting underhanded. He is just afraid that they might. I think players would respect him more for doing what it took to eliminate a huge, glaring problem with his game. Increased efficiency at the line would also help cement that 'greatest ever' title he wants so badly......

I couldn't agree more. Rick Barry has a definite inflated sense of self-worth. He was that way when he was coaching the Fort Wayne Fury in the CBA. I too have a hard time rooting for his kids because of him.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

woman without a team

I used to only know one thing about Rick Barry--his kids play in the NBA. Now I know something else--the man must be smoking crack. No one can be that big an *** hole naturally.