Thread: Packers and Colts to open preseason in Hall of Fame game

Default Packers and Colts to open preseason in Hall of Fame game

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-of-fame-game/

Packers and Colts to open preseason in Hall of Fame Game

Since three of the key pieces are already going to be there, it only makes sense that the Packers and the Colts will open the season in the Hall of Fame Game.

The expected news was made official Tuesday, with the Packers and Colts to kick off the exhibition season with an Aug. 7 game in Canton, Ohio.

It’s going to be a big weekend for those two teams anyway, with Brett Favre, Marvin Harrison and Tony Dungy to be enshrined in the Hall that weekend.

Now, Green Bay and Indy get the privilege (?) of starting camp a week early and an extra preseason game.

Aaron Rodgers, who is on a bit of a roll today, will obviously be thrilled by this development. since he’s already declared he didn’t want to be in it 11 months ahead of time.

sweepin' down the plains Natston's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Packers and Colts to open preseason in Hall of Fame game

It's tempting to make the trip, but not so much.
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

Shows you how much attention I pay to preseason football... So the Hall of Fame game is an EXTRA game?? An extra meaningless game?

I suppose I'd use it as a real preseason game and then use the last two as nothing but roster fodder, going through the motions type games. That way if someone does get hurt in preseason you buy an extra week for them to heal....
    Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Shows you how much attention I pay to preseason football... So the Hall of Fame game is an EXTRA game?? An extra meaningless game?

I suppose I'd use it as a real preseason game and then use the last two as nothing but roster fodder, going through the motions type games. That way if someone does get hurt in preseason you buy an extra week for them to heal....
    Its always been that way the Colts played the Redskins in one years ago they had 5 preseason games that year in 2008.

But yeah I would approach it that way although this past year we had the usual bad preseason which unfortunately followed with a bad regular season(well mediocre)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ery-difficult/

Hall of Fame president: Canceling the game “very, very difficult”

Pro Football Hall of Fame President David Baker says the decision to cancel tonight’s Hall of Fame Game wasn’t easy but was necessary because of unsafe field conditions.

“This is a very, very difficult decision for us today,” Baker said on ESPN. “A lot of these fans came a long way. But we think it’s the only decision that can be made.”

Baker said the field was ready to go until today, when the grounds crew used the wrong kind of paint to put the logos on the 50-yard line and in the end zones.

“This is a brand-new field,” he said. “It passed the test when it was first installed, it passed the test this morning when the cover came off from the enshrinement, but apparently as a result of painting some things at the midfield and the end zone, the paint congealed. And I think there were some players who had some concerns, some physicians from the teams who had some concerns. We thought we would be able to remediate it by delaying the game for as much as an hour. But in the end, if it’s remotely close to unsafe, we conferred with the league, we think the best thing to do is respect the safety of the players. It’s the only thing to do.”

Baker said he talked to players on both teams and they’ve agreed to come out and greet the fans in attendance. The Hall of Fame will also have a moment to recognize this year’s enshrinement class. But there won’t be a game.

“There were still some guys who wanted to play, just like football players are,” Baker said.

Players who are trying to earn a roster spot surely wanted to go out there and prove themselves. Now they won’t get that chance.

What an embarrassment for the NFL
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:

Last edited by Basketball Fan; 08-07-2016 at 08:41 PM.

Jim Irsay comments.

Did...he throw in a veiled jab at New England's poor field conditions in there?

I love it if so.

Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    Jim Irsay comments.

Did...he throw in a veiled jab at New England's poor field conditions in there?

I love it if so.

I doubt he's that clever he looked wasted though

Sports Logo

that HOF Prez, or whoever that guy was, the guy they had doing the media after it got cancelled, was a damn monster man! they had to go wide just to get Lisa Salters's head in the frame.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The NFL is such a joke. They're lucky that the sport is so insanely popular because they are entirely incompetent now.

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    The NFL is such a joke. They're lucky that the sport is so insanely popular because they are entirely incompetent now.
    I don't think we can entirely put the blame on the NFL for yesterday. I imagine going forward they'll take a MUCH more active role in preparations for this game but I think they likely had a basic policy they expected to be followed for the field and it was... and then the venue's people free-lanced and fixed something that wasn't necessarily broken. Which led them down a path to making further mistakes (applying heat to speed up the paint drying), and here we are.

This isn't an NFL venue per se', and it's an exhibition game. So I'm guessing they simply assumed a set of rules and an early inspection would be good enough, and it should've been. But now that they've learned what can go wrong I bet they take a deeper involvement in field prep at any non-NFL venue here on out.
    Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

No game was just as entertaining as the real game would have been. Pre-season NFL sucks. I've always considered myself to be a big NFL fan, but I barely watch any pre-season. The only time I had any interest was Luck's rookie year when we were seeing him for the first time.

I have no problem with the Colts playing one less preseason game but I think if I bought a ticket to that game I would be ticked sure you get refund for the ticket but the hotel stay, flight costs you won't get back and its likely those rates were jacked up because it was HOF weekend.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    I have no problem with the Colts playing one less preseason game .
    Especially when the Colts/Packers were the only teams to play 5 while the rest of the league plays 4.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.