Default OKC

IND gets:

Steve Novak 1 yr, $3.75M
    DJ Augustin 1 yr, $3.00M
    Mitch McGary 3 yr, $5.42M

OKC gets:

Rodney Stuckey 3 yr, $21.00M
    Solomon Hill 1 yr, $1.36M

OKC gets rid of a couple of salaries for guys not getting minutes. They get a better decision maker in the back court for when they don't re-sign Waiters. OKC will save about $1M on their LT bill as well. We get a young big to pair in our front court.

This was similar to the other trade, but I don't see us wanting to take back Waiters in a deal for Hill.
    "Your course, your path, is not going to be like mine," West says. "Everybody is not called to be a multimillionaire. Everybody's not called to be the president. Whatever your best work is, you do it. Do it well. You cease your own greatness when you aspire to be someone else."

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: OKC

Quote Originally Posted by pacergod2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    IND gets:

Steve Novak 1 yr, $3.75M
    DJ Augustin 1 yr, $3.00M
    Mitch McGary 3 yr, $5.42M

OKC gets:

Rodney Stuckey 3 yr, $21.00M
    Solomon Hill 1 yr, $1.36M

OKC gets rid of a couple of salaries for guys not getting minutes. They get a better decision maker in the back court for when they don't re-sign Waiters. OKC will save about $1M on their LT bill as well. We get a young big to pair in our front court.

This was similar to the other trade, but I don't see us wanting to take back Waiters in a deal for Hill.
    As with every uneven trade - I need to ask whom you would prefer us to waive in order to take 3 for 2. We are maxxed with 15 contracts... Would it be Whit or GRIII (smallest guarantees)? Joe Young & Xmas are guaranteed contracts for 2016-2017. Chase would be quite an expensive player to waive, but of course possible too...

Not feeling this trade. Novak? Ugh.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Easy yes for us, don't think OKC would do it.

Quote Originally Posted by PetPaima View Post
    As with every uneven trade - I need to ask whom you would prefer us to waive in order to take 3 for 2. We are maxxed with 15 contracts... Would it be Whit or GRIII (smallest guarantees)? Joe Young & Xmas are guaranteed contracts for 2016-2017. Chase would be quite an expensive player to waive, but of course possible too...
    Chase's contract is a sunk cost at this point. It's not like we're getting $5m of value out of him on the court. Him or Shayne are the likely ones.
    Last edited by wintermute; 02-13-2016 at 08:57 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    Not feeling this trade. Novak? Ugh.

You don't get it... again

Basically ALL the expirings here are just for matching salaries and have no court role whatsoever (OK, Solo could give occasional defensive shift for Thunder)

So this could be simplified to : We free us from a 3-year commitment to Stuckey (an off-season mistake who can not co-exist with Monta) and get a 3 cheap years of trying to make McGary an actual NBA player.

That's YES for me (just like wintermute thinks)... And I also agree that it's a financial "no thanx" for Thunder as they don't want to ADD next year's salary...

thinking again... OKC have to mount a serious challenge for the title this year. NONE of these guys will play any role for them anyway - not after Cameron Pane has overtaken Augustin in pecking order for bench PG. Stuckey could give them an offensive focal point for those few minutes they let Russ & KD rest. We know that Solo is good for 8-10 mins of solid defense at 3 or small-ball 4 as long as there is someone else to take care of offense. They might just do this - AND WE WOULD NEED TO BITE!
    Last edited by PetPaima; 02-13-2016 at 09:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PetPaima View Post
    You don't get it... again

Basically ALL the expirings here are just for matching salaries and have no court role whatsoever (OK, Solo could give occasional defensive shift for Thunder)

So this could be simplified to : We free us from a 3-year commitment to Stuckey (an off-season mistake who can not co-exist with Monta) and get a 3 cheap years of trying to make McGary an actual NBA player.

That's YES for me (just like wintermute thinks)... And I also agree that it's a financial "no thanx" for Thunder as they don't want to ADD next year's salary...

thinking again... OKC have to mount a serious challenge for the title this year. NONE of these guys will play any role for them anyway - not after Cameron Pane has overtaken Augustin in pecking order for bench PG. Stuckey could give them an offensive focal point for those few minutes they let Russ & KD rest. We know that Solo is good for 8-10 mins of solid defense at 3 or small-ball 4 as long as there is someone else to take care of offense. They might just do this - AND WE WOULD NEED TO BITE!

I got that part but Stuckey is a rotation guy. So if you deal him for filler then who steps in at backup shooting guard and or SF? GRIII and CJ Miles maybe? I guess we could waive DJ and Novak and keep McGary.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I got that part but Stuckey is a rotation guy. So if you deal him for filler then who steps in at backup shooting guard and or SF? GRIII and CJ Miles maybe? I guess we could waive DJ and Novak and keep McGary.
    DJ and Novak are both expirings so we would not NEED to waive them. Although Augustin would give a veteran option on the days when Joe Young is on self-detruction mode. Still just garbage minutes anyway...

They COULD be waived if another staggered deal comes up or they could be send further forward or they are just let to walk on summer. Non-important altogether.

Stuckey is definitely a rotation part and we are not getting a single certain one in the deal. That is the "minus"-part of the deal. However, due the absolute ill-fit of Monta & Stuckey playing together (neither stretch the floor, neither plays well off-ball, neither defends very well EVEN when they try hard). That's why our biggest gain is actually the 5,5 mil which we save for both 2016-17 and 2017-18 seasons. We should be able to turn that for something much more fitting piece on perimeter. What we would need is a low-usage spot-up shooter who is good and even more importantly a VERSATILE defender. (yes, I'm resigned to the fact that we can't boot Monta out so we need to find players who paper over his deficiencies).

Besides, while McGary hasn't got really any chances to play in win-now, veteran-laden OKC - he might be in a perfect spot paired with Myles in frontcourt. McGary provides you low-post physicality, excellent rebounding and even a PnR roll-man finishing... He doesn't offer rim protection nor floor stretching. Well, those are Myles' forte. Theoretically, Mitch is a perfect partner as an inside-brute 4 while Myles is a stretch-5. Completely untested & unproven, but would be well worth of trying out with 2 cheapo years left...

Sports Logo Sports Logo

This season is non-important anyway. We won't achieve anything no matter what we do. This would IMO put as in better position for next season EVEN is none of the incoming players work out.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    Chase's contract is a sunk cost at this point. It's not like we're getting $5m of value out of him on the court. Him or Shayne are the likely ones.
    I agree about Chase being a sunk cost and I would definitely waive him if not for any reason than that he will be UFA on summer while we have cheap non-guaranteed years left with Whit & GRIII.

However, waiving Chase would be "egg on face" for front office. Taking in major salary and trading away an useful role player who WOULD occasionally help this team with his proven shooting ability (depending on match-ups) would look even more horrible blunder if that "acquisition" is WAIVED by trade deadline. Thus, Whittington would be likely to go.