Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The NFL Offseason Thread

Default The NFL Offseason Thread

Since the season is over might as well put one of these up

Default Re: The NFL Offseason Thread

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ut-in-chicago/

Matt Forte makes it official: He’s out in Chicago

We can file this one as one of the early offseason #asexpected notes, but it’s now official: Matt Forte won’t be returning to the Bears.

The veteran running back just sent out word via social media that he wouldn’t be back, as the team won’t pursue extending the free agent.

“Despite my wishes, my days as a member of the Chicago Bears have sadly come to an end,” he wrote on Instagram. “I was informed earlier this week from the GM that they will not be attempting to re-sign me in free agency. I will remain forever grateful for my time spent in Chicago and being able to play for an organization with such a rich history.

“My only regret is not being able to win a Lombardi trophy for the best fans in all of sports. I’m excited about the next chapter of my NFL career. But, Chicago will always be home. God Bless and Bear Down!”

While Forte has hit the magic number for running backs (he turned 30 in December), he’s remained productive, and his blend of running and receiving ability ought to make him an attractive target in free agency.

" A,Β,..M,N,L,O,P,...F" Johanvil's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Johanvil For This Useful Post:

^^ It's one thing to pull a childish, immature prank on someone when you're immature & childish. It's another to carry a vendetta on, well into your adult life.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

" A,Β,..M,N,L,O,P,...F" Johanvil's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

That wasn't a prank though, was it? It was a sexual assault no matter how immature Manning may had been at the time.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Johanvil For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I knew about this incident but not all of the disturbing details. I actually thought it was just a silly mooning prank. ESPN basically made it look like athletic trainer was out to make some $ when they did their Sportscentury feature on Peyton.

And what really sucks is the timing of this. Not like it happened yesterday. The guy just came back from a bunch of neck operations to win a freakin' Super Bowl and he's probably going retire after a fantastic career ............... And NOW you splash this out there. Poor execution by the writer.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    And what really sucks is the timing of this. Not like it happened yesterday. The guy just came back from a bunch of neck operations to win a freakin' Super Bowl and he's probably going retire after a fantastic career ............... And NOW you splash this out there. Poor execution by the writer.
    Probably wouldn't have done it had the Panthers won the SB. I mean really why is he putting it out there now? I mean Manning isn't a saint but this isn't exactly brand new information either and from what I've heard of this chick she sued other people as well.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    Dont shoot the messenger. Manning brought this on himself by rubbing his dick on a woman's face, lying about it, and then destroying her career.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to hoosierguy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    Dont shoot the messenger. Manning brought this on himself by rubbing his dick on a woman's face, lying about it, and then destroying her career.

Clearly you missed the point.

Why bring it up now?

He could've brought up last week during SB week.

Or the SB two years ago

Or the SBs the Colts were in with Manning at QB. So why didn't he?

His article would have more merit if he didn't bring up Cam Newton(who has nothing to do with this) in comparison or if he actually cared about the woman in question and he didn't.

Had the Panthers won I don't think he would've brought this up at all its not as if this is brand new information.

Next thing you know he'll find out about Ray Lewis and Kobe Bryant.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

King admittedly had an agenda. He didnt like how Newton was portrayed in the media compared to Manning and wanted to point out that Peyton is no saint.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hoosierguy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    King admittedly had an agenda. He didnt like how Newton was portrayed in the media compared to Manning and wanted to point out that Peyton is no saint.
    Which is why his faux moral outrage is laughable to me. He did this because he had an agenda. Neither of them are saints I think we can agree on that I mean Cam Netwon stole a laptop in college he didn't mention that in his article.

But nobody really brings that up about him either because he's not the same person now as he was then.

People are criticizing Cam now because of how he acted in the post game presser(I think him walking out was a bad look but beyond that nothing he said bothered me too much) that's current and shouldn't be considered racism either.

Which is what this dude is implying here. Not every criticism about Cam Newton is racist (for some people yes it is) but not all of us.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Oy ........

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14...al-environment

Peyton Manning is among the athletes cited in a lawsuit filed by a group of women alleging that the University of Tennessee has violated Title IX regulations and created a "hostile sexual environment" through a policy of indifference toward assaults by student-athletes.

The Tennessean first reported the lawsuit and Manning's involvement.

The federal suit filed Tuesday in Nashville states Tennessee's policies made students more vulnerable to sexual assault and had a "clearly unreasonable response" after incidents that caused the women making complaints to endure additional harassment. The suit also states the university interfered with the disciplinary process to favor male athletes.

This season is for Travis ECKrueger's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

NCAA athletic are ****ed up - I cannot stand them as a whole.

The Manning thing is old news actually. It will get rehashed with more airplay now especially with the tougher laws in Title IX reporting. Not sure in 96 in the state of TN this incident would be defined as sexual assault. Sexual harassment may have been used at that time? I don't know and understand I am not condoning the act at all.

I wasn't around Manning until later years when he began to mature. I do know he could be mischievous with players (rookies) and had others do his dirty work. Smearing Vaseline on players car windshields the night before camp would end so they were stuck longer waiting to clean up the mess. Or the classic put the golf cart in the middle of the lake prank, remove the tires and put it up on blocks, and sometimes stealing car keys driving it to the end zone and wrapping it up with so much plastic wrap you couldn't get the doors open.

Laying your private parts on someone is not funny and sexual assault if it happens to a female and male today. In 96 there was no preponderance of evidence (the proof you currently need to determine an assault in college stats) rule. I suspect Manning probably did lay his genitals on the lady. I will also say (it wasn't right) he didn't do it for any perv reason. In his football obsessed world if you're in the locker room you're one of the guys and open to all of the un-pc things that take place there. My lord could you imagine how many lady news reporters could claim assault now.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

That event is old news. This went around what a decade ago? SAS was on ESPN radio this morning just ranting and raving about it, saying he never knew about it. How on earth did you not know about it, SAS? It was all over the news even back then.

Just weird that this is getting rehashed.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't know how any of this actually happened, but Shaun King being the one to complain about an image being built on a lie is freaking funny.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

This is interesting we'll probably not know what really happened since we weren't there but the truth could very well be in the middle(usually is in these cases).

Regardless it reinforces my stance that there shouldn't be women trainers in male lockerrooms(and male ones in female lockerrooms) may seem antiquated on my part but I think it would at least spare us this sort of thing from happening(at least a lower rate of it)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post

This is interesting we'll probably not know what really happened since we weren't there but the truth could very well be in the middle(usually is in these cases).

Regardless it reinforces my stance that there shouldn't be women trainers in male lockerrooms(and male ones in female lockerrooms) may seem antiquated on my part but I think it would at least spare us this sort of thing from happening(at least a lower rate of it)
    Avoiding the problem does not fix the problem. People need to just be decent to each other

31. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for decency.

While I don't necessarily subscribe to the "keep them separated" way of thinking, it at least helps avoid the problem. Accusations without any type of proof/evidence are being viewed as truth by colleges currently, so keeping the sexes separated or at least having multiple people around during interactions can help avoid she-said-he-said situations.

My father has been coaching girls basketball for the past 10yrs or so and he goes by a couple of rules to avoid accusations. Never being alone with a player is the first.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    Avoiding the problem does not fix the problem. People need to just be decent to each other
    We don't need police, home security systems, etc. People just need to be decent to each other.

This line of argument honestly befuddles me. When did we start treating taking precautions as some sort of bad thing?

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Ransom For This Useful Post:

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    The author of that article is an established racist and fraud. Not saying it isn't true, but I would definitely consider the source here.

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    That event is old news. This went around what a decade ago? SAS was on ESPN radio this morning just ranting and raving about it, saying he never knew about it. How on earth did you not know about it, SAS? It was all over the news even back then.

Just weird that this is getting rehashed.
    SAS is also a racist, so his response doesn't surprise me.

43. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post: