Thread: USA basketball has a new face.....

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default USA basketball has a new face.....

Jerry Colangelo has replaced USA basketball's "leadership by commitee" system, as their head director. He's going to be the head man, and call all the shots.

Press conference on NBA TV right now.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Default Re: USA basketball has a new face.....

He said that the new system for picking players consist of a pool of 25-50 committed for a MINIMUM of two years. Players that he will be able to pick from, and his team will TRAIN together each summer.

He also said that the door will NOT be open for superstars to join anytime they choose. You're in or you're not. There will be no jumping on or off of the ship.

He also said he wanted tryouts for lesser-profile NBA players to try to make the team.

He also made it clear: He's picking the players and the coaching staff. There will be no more committe.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

sweabs

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He also said that the door will NOT be open for superstars to join anytime they choose. You're in or you're not. There will be no jumping on or off of the ship.
    Interesting. I like that theory...I think that's the way it needs to be.

Although, Nash or Magloire, if you're reading this, feel free to join the Canadian team at will. If you're feeling up to it, just do it!

(I think with our coaching change there will be no hope in hell we get Nash back).

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    He said that the new system for picking players consist of a pool of 25-50 committed for a MINIMUM of two years. Players that he will be able to pck from, and his team will TRAIN together each summer.

He also said he wanted tryouts for lesser-profile NBA players to try to make the team.

He also made it clear: He's picking the players and the coaching staff. There will be no more committe.
    Excellent news. Obviously someone is finally taking the arse-whoopings we've been getting internationally seriously.

I get the feeling the next go-round internationally will be fun to watch again.

He also made it clear: He's picking the players and the coaching staff. There will be no more committe.__________________

I think we have found the next NBA commish.

I would rather be the hammer than the nail

OT Alabama-Redneck, quick question. Does your avatar mean that your son is a 7 pound fish? Or am I just reading it wrong?

I can understand how they enforce the 'no jumping ON the ship anytime you please' but how do you enforce the 'no jumping OFF' part?

It looks good in print but I'm not sure how workable that second part really is.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by 3Ball
    OT Alabama-Redneck, quick question. Does your avatar mean that your son is a 7 pound fish? Or am I just reading it wrong?
    That's Alabama Redneck's son in the picture (wearing the red hat).... The fish is Alabama Redneck!

-BBall
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Good in theory, but scuttlebutt was that Colangelo was the leading force behind some of the stupider picks for last year's team.

Still, since he's semi-retired, it's good to have someone who can devote a good deal of energy to this, a la Nell Fortner.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by 3Ball

That will give you something to ponder !!!

I would rather be the hammer than the nail