Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 76 to 98 of 98

Thread: Iverson hit with coin by Detroit fan

  1. #76
    Huge Member heywoode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Indiana
    Age
    46
    Posts
    6,334

    Default Re: Iverson hit with coin by Detroit fan

    Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My class was punished just last week for the actions of five students. We were all held accountable, and I was going to fight it. I decided that it wouldnt be worth the time or effort to go argue with Ster....I mean our dean, so I just let it go.

    That wasnt the first time and Im sure it wont be the last.

    Still not an accurate analogy. Five students/one class is MUCH different than a dozen fans/who knows how many Pistons fans/the Pistons organization/The Palace/many others.

    Maybe the point trying to be made on your class is that you should all help keep order. I know absolutely nothing about the incident with your class, so I'll stop right there with my own generalizations.

    I agree with you on the point that life is not fair, and that we have to live with it. I only wish that we would live with what happened, live with the result of said incident, and MOVE ON....

  2. #77
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,055

    Default Re: Iverson hit with coin by Detroit fan

    Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We were all deducted 10 points on our final grade and given a 45 minute speech on "etiquite"(sp). I was going to argue the 10 point thing on the "principle of the thing" but I havent, yet...
    I was going to tell you to argue, but is 10 points even going to make a differnece in your grade? If it doesn't I'd wait until after the grades are posted final and then I'd send him a note telling him you'll never recommend the class to anyone. It probably won't make a differnence to him, but it will make you feel better.

  3. #78
    Huge Member heywoode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Indiana
    Age
    46
    Posts
    6,334

    Default Re: Iverson hit with coin by Detroit fan

    I just like to get the last word in....if you'll quit posting, so will I!!!!!!!!


    Seriously, I repect your right to have a valid opinion. Frankly, I'm glad that you are passionate enough to defend your point of view, and defend the Pacers.

    I hope you don't think that I have anything other than "fellow Pacer fan" feelings for anyone who posts here.......

  4. #79
    ENABEABLER MagicRat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,839

    Default Re: Iverson hit with coin by Detroit fan

    Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We're still suffering..............................
    Is it wrong of me to say I have enjoyed this season?.......
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

  5. #80
    Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Fort Wayne
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,097

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Iverson hit with coin by Detroit fan

    Quote Originally Posted by heywoode
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good point, Grace...Unfortunately I wasn't around for the original 'dead-horse-beating' so I have to jump in now!

    You are very much right that the horse is DEAD.....(I'll still beat that ba$tard though!!)

    The horse must still be breathing because here we are talking about something eerily familiar - a Detroit Pistons patron throws something at an NBA player. I know this CAN happen anywhere but why is that it happens at the Palace more than anywhere else?
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

  6. #81
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,146

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Iverson hit with coin by Detroit fan

    I should also add that this guy was turned in by his best friend. Apparently, he wasnt in on the pistons fan conspiracy.

    They didnt pay $$$ for those seats either. They moved down for the nosebleeds.

    Oh, and Im positive this DOES happen everywhere. It just only makes the news when it happens in detroit, because of the stupid brawl.

    Had this happened in dallas, it might-MIGHT have made a small footnote, in a paper somewhere, but nothing of a national story.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  7. #82
    Huge Member heywoode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Indiana
    Age
    46
    Posts
    6,334

    Default Re: Iverson hit with coin by Detroit fan

    Quote Originally Posted by fwpacerfan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The horse must still be breathing because here we are talking about something eerily familiar - a Detroit Pistons patron throws something at an NBA player. I know this CAN happen anywhere but why is that it happens at the Palace more than anywhere else?
    I think it would be more accurate to say that a patron of The Palace of Auburn Hills......

    The horse being dead in my opinion refers to the lumping of all fans together with the idiots and trying to assess blame for the brawl in November.....

  8. #83
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,253

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Iverson hit with coin by Detroit fan

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They didnt pay $$$ for those seats either. They moved down for the nosebleeds.

    Oh, and Im positive this DOES happen everywhere. It just only makes the news when it happens in detroit, because of the stupid brawl.

    So you're telling me that security didn't learn it's lesson with Mr. Greene??? Security does their job, and doesn't let people move down, and there's two incidents that could be avoided. When does security start doing their job?

    Everytime a scuffle breaks out with the Pacers, it's shown on TV, so I hardly feel for you about it being a big deal because it was in Detroit.

  9. #84
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,146

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Iverson hit with coin by Detroit fan

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So you're telling me that security didn't learn it's lesson with Mr. Greene??? Security does their job, and doesn't let people move down, and there's two incidents that could be avoided. When does security start doing their job?

    Everytime a scuffle breaks out with the Pacers, it's shown on TV, so I hardly feel for you about it being a big deal because it was in Detroit.
    you call that a scuffle?

    and fans are always going to be allowed to move down. A lot of fans who cant come close to affording that experience are able to get down and see the game up close. I hope they never change it. I also don't believe there's a direct corrolation.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  10. #85
    sweabs
    Guest

    Default Re: Iverson hit with coin by Detroit fan

    Doesn't surprise me that they came from the nosebleeds. The Palace has never enforced any rules against that. The only place I've been to that is so lenient.

  11. #86
    - .-- ... ... Natston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Timbuktupolis, IN
    Age
    31
    Posts
    8,355
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Iverson hit with coin by Detroit fan

    Quote Originally Posted by heywoode
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hate the Pistons as much as anybody, but they and their fans deserve a break from the magnifying glass. They don't need to keep paying for the brawl any more than we or the Pacers do.
    Since there wasn't any punishment, the the magnifying glass should stay and be tilted so some them start to burn!

    Seriously though, the spotlight light put on the Pistons and their fans (fair or not) is a good thing in my opinion. The "good" Piston fans (even though there are few ) are now the cops and more than likely are the only the prevention the NBA has. Without them, incidents involving and won't go down...
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)


    Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

  12. #87
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,253

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Iverson hit with coin by Detroit fan

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    you call that a scuffle?
    Call what a scuffle? I'm talking about things like the Miami game. I can see the AJ thing being shown, but why JO when him and Haslem got tangled up?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    and fans are always going to be allowed to move down. A lot of fans who cant come close to affording that experience are able to get down and see the game up close. I hope they never change it. I also don't believe there's a direct corrolation.
    I wasn't a allowed down a tunnel at Conseco, just because my tickets weren't around that particular aisle, 45mins before the game.(trying to get autos) You buy the seat that's on your ticket, you want a closer look buy closer tickets or watch the TV broadcast. I find it very unnerving that they allow people to jump seats like that. Lax secuirty only invites trouble, and letting people move down unchecked is relaxed security so I find that as a direct corrolation.

  13. #88
    Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Fort Wayne
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,097

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Iverson hit with coin by Detroit fan

    Quote Originally Posted by heywoode
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think it would be more accurate to say that a patron of The Palace of Auburn Hills......

    The horse being dead in my opinion refers to the lumping of all fans together with the idiots and trying to assess blame for the brawl in November.....

    I know where you are coming from but the person in question was not there to see the Palace - he was there to see the Pistons. I agree with lumping of all fans - but the fans are going to have to police themselves to some degree.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

  14. #89
    Huge Member heywoode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Indiana
    Age
    46
    Posts
    6,334

    Default Re: Iverson hit with coin by Detroit fan

    Quote Originally Posted by fwpacerfan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know where you are coming from but the person in question was not there to see the Palace - he was there to see the Pistons. I agree with lumping of all fans - but the fans are going to have to police themselves to some degree.

    I don't necessarily agree with the statement, but that is what happened. If I'm at a game with my wife and my two kids, ages 5 and 3, I'm not going to feel too keen about getting pushed into a position of being responsible for keeping a bunch of drunken idiots under control. Seeing someone unruly and trying to notify security is one thing, but most people probably feel that the retaliation factor would be high for being the person who has to say something, either to the patrons acting up, or to security. Difficult position to be in sometimes.....

  15. #90
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,253

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Iverson hit with coin by Detroit fan

    Quote Originally Posted by heywoode
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't necessarily agree with the statement, but that is what happened. If I'm at a game with my wife and my two kids, ages 5 and 3, I'm not going to feel too keen about getting pushed into a position of being responsible for keeping a bunch of drunken idiots under control. Seeing someone unruly and trying to notify security is one thing, but most people probably feel that the retaliation factor would be high for being the person who has to say something, either to the patrons acting up, or to security. Difficult position to be in sometimes.....
    Shouldn't you want to say something to set an example to your kids? There's ways to say something to someone and not get into it with them, like mentioning that you're kids were present and you didn't appreciate their actions. By not doing anything sends the message to your kids that their behavior is exceptable. There has to come a point where you stand up and tell someone that their acting like an idiot.

    Reminds me of the Good Samaritan episode of Seinfeld.

  16. #91

    Default Re: Iverson hit with coin by Detroit fan

    1. Once is an abberation, twice is a problem, Kstat. Quit standing up for the retards inhabiting your city, which has a LONG, LONG history of disorderly conduct stretching back decades, and thought to be almost defunct until this season.

    2. 1 documented stabbing almost a decade ago, plus some accusations and some heresay does NOT put Pacers fans today in the same category with the idiots that inhabit the Palace and root for the Pistons. You've had a beer thrown, a riot, no less than 3 (7?) bomb threats, and a coin thrown (all documented, no heresay), during this season as DEFENDING CHAMPIONS OF THE WORLD. Meanwhile, Pacers fans, who haver PLENTY of reasons to be surly this season, have done NOTHING to ANYONE. It's crap, quit pretending it's not a problem. Stop deflecting onto others, your town is the armpit of America.

    3. Considering that 76ers fans aren't far behind Pistons fans in terms of causing trouble, I'd be a little worried if I were the Pistons or 76ers management. I'd be surprised if nobody gets chucked from game 3 due to throwing things.

  17. #92
    Huge Member heywoode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Indiana
    Age
    46
    Posts
    6,334

    Default Re: Iverson hit with coin by Detroit fan

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Shouldn't you want to say something to set an example to your kids? There's ways to say something to someone and not get into it with them, like mentioning that you're kids were present and you didn't appreciate their actions. By not doing anything sends the message to your kids that their behavior is exceptable. There has to come a point where you stand up and tell someone that their acting like an idiot.

    Reminds me of the Good Samaritan episode of Seinfeld.
    Don't agree with this statement either. Seizing every opportunity to inject the fact that I'm right is no way to be. Showing my kids that I can't see beyond the mediocrity of the situation is not what I want. If someone was berating a woman on the street, or snatching someone's purse, then I could see it. At the very best, an argument over a BASKETBALL GAME is never going to be grounds to show my kids that I should step in for the sake of being valiant.

    I can be smarter than some drunk or obnoxious morons by understanding that trying to reason with someone who is trashed about their decorum or their behavior in general is probably not a good idea. THAT is what I would be showing my kids. That there is a time and a place for everything.

    There is some satisfaction in being "right" about an issue. Getting into a confrontation or fight with someone who can't even think rationally enough to know that they are being an a$$hole is not a smart move, whether you're right or wrong.

    Sometimes you have to see beyond the surface and realize that my first responsibility is to BE HERE for my family, not getting into a fight and possibly getting hurt or killed or ejected because I was "right" and 'they needed to be told'......

    I could not look both ways before crossing an intersection when I have the green light. I have the right of way, I'm "right".......Someone running the red light and T-boning me would be considered "wrong". I would be DEAD right.

    No thanks, I'll deal with what I have to and maintain a 'bigger picture' outlook, and teach my kids how to be smart and look beyond what is slapping them in the face, or getting on their nerves, along the way....

  18. #93
    Grumpy Old Man (PD host) able's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    8,701

    Default Re: Iverson hit with coin by Detroit fan

    Though it happens in Det, there is no particular reason to blame anyone but the NBA for it happening.
    The moment the NBA stops blaming players for the actions of the "fans" and starts blaming the franchise responsible for receiving the players and the "fans" it is more then likely a decrease in such activity will take place as well as "fans policing each other" will happen more intense.
    (EU football):1 lighter hitting a player: 1 home game without fans.
    1 coin hitting a ref: 2 home games without fans.
    fireworks on the pitch (the fact a player/goalie got hit is slightly less relevant here) 3 games, lots of money and probation. (similar incident in next 2 years is end of EU championships participation for 2 years , estimated possible loss of income approx $ 75 mio).

    Detroit again will not suffer any consequences, and it gets harder and harder to start punishing the next place where it happens, for the simple reason that it becomes "acceptable behaviour" where as long as you toss someone out of the game you will have "adequate security" whether it was the right person or not.

    In EU football fans like that face a life-long stadium ban, and will never be able again to go see their team play, or will at least be "blocked" for a couple of years.

    Hiding behind the "it's only a very small group" excuse doesn't hack it, that small group is usually a "core" group of fans, and without making it clear that their behaviour hurts the team and not the opponent, no matter what the players do is far more of a clear message then anything else.

    And yes, that should go for ALL franchises in the NBA, it's only a coincidence that Det will most likely be the first to suffer from it, nothing more.

    Untill the NBA decides to take a stance against he fans instead of the players things will only get worse, it just amazes me that the league does not see that things like that will chase fans out faster then the occasional player misconduct.

    When my children were young and wanted to go see events, I picked the ones where the likelyhood of audience misbehaviour was least likely, on a day out I do not want to go around fighting the world to protect my children from becoming part of a melee.
    Drunks, cup and coin throwers, scuffles, rude remarks, all make it a bad choice to go see a Pistons game with your children who subsequently grow up to be supporters of a team or individual sport that does not attract that kind of behaviour because that is what they get to see, because it is "safe" there.

    Words have never made any arena safe, actions can only do that.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

    If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!


  19. #94
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,146

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Iverson hit with coin by Detroit fan

    http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/spo...l/11506983.htm

    King praised the Pistons for their effort in the situation.

    "I called Tom Wilson and complimented him and his staff on the great job they did," King said. "I think the security handled the situation with the utmost class and swiftness you would expect."

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  20. #95
    Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cumberland
    Posts
    15,305
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Iverson hit with coin by Detroit fan

    Sooooooo the next time a drunk gets too obnoxious I can serepticiously toss something toward the floor and point at him .......hmmmm


    or maybe just point him out and CLAIM he did something.






    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

  21. #96
    CA Pacer Fan A-Train's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    1,281

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Iverson hit with coin by Detroit fan

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    lastly, no self-respecting piston fan would EVER come into an arena wearing a BOSTON hat.......
    That's actually a valid point.

  22. #97
    Huge Member heywoode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Indiana
    Age
    46
    Posts
    6,334

    Default Re: Iverson hit with coin by Detroit fan

    If incidents keep happening (and seemingly getting worse) in Europe, can you really argue that the policy is working?

  23. #98
    Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cumberland
    Posts
    15,305
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Iverson hit with coin by Detroit fan

    On a serious note. All it takes is one idiot at a game. Can you imagine the field day the media would have if an incident occured at a P's game? Assuredly it would be cast such that it appeared that the P's fans were the ones in the stands 11/19. Heck it oftened seemed that way during much of the early reporting. So while I do want a greater punishment for the Detroit franchise, let's remember how easily that could be us in the spotlight.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •