Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Default Re: Iverson hit with coin by Detroit fan

[Homer]

Mmmmmmm .... beeeeer.

[/Homer]

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Larry Johnson, Childs and Chris Dudley fouled out
    Guess Dick Bavetta wasnt doing this game....

Most irritating to both teams was the way Game 2 was officiated by the veteran crew of Dick Bavetta, Hue Hollins and Joe Forte.
    .....or not

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://slam.canoe.ca/NBAPlayoffs99/jun2_mil.html

Miller takes his shots at Ewing
    INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- About an hour after Reggie Miller hit the two free throws that won Game 2, he sat at the podium for his news conference and spotted Patrick Ewing entering in the room.
    .................................................. ............. Said Childs: "We took their best shot, and I'm pretty sure there's going to be more shots taken, but I'm telling you, this is a special, special group of guys. We have so much fight and determination in us. We're going to play to the end."
    I stand corrected. You proved it. Thanks for the link, now I can just post that in every thread I ever encounter about the brawl or Out of Control Detriot Fans. Good Stuff.

sweabs

Quote Originally Posted by Pistoner
    I stand corrected. You proved it. Thanks for the link, now I can just post that in every thread I ever encounter about the brawl or Out of Control Detriot Fans. Good Stuff.
    Awesome!!!

You always post in the best threads anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by rcarey
    Awesome!!!

You always post in the best threads anyway!

Hmm...I sense sarcasm

Talking Re: Iverson hit with coin by Detroit fan

Quote Originally Posted by Alabama-Redneck
    If I came up to you and was striking you in the mouth with my fist or I grabbed you by the arm, I would presume you would not see any difference and could only refer to it as nitpicking.

LOL, no *****. Thought the same thing. GUess he's never been struck by anyone that knows how!

So the fact that Pacer fans did this a few years ago makes it ok for Pistons fans to do it this year? Is that the rationalization now?

Quote Originally Posted by Pistoner
    The difference is, this happened once, things happen in Auburn Hills on a much more frequent basis.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Plenty of fans in every venue in the world can be described as a$$holes....Pacers fans were apparently pretty rough in the MSA days if they used to throw beer, coins, etc. at opposing players.

The Bulls fan that got stabbed to death appears to be the exception to the rule or a one time incident between people.

In this day and age of accountability (even before the brawl) it should be noted that we don't hear very much about fan on fan violence. Well, I guess I should more accurately say that I don't hear very much about it.

I feel like every team has fans that go over the edge of desirable behavior into being obnoxious. I'm sure there are fans at Conseco that yell obsenities or racial epithets that make the rest of us embarrassed to be lumped in with them as "rude, obnoxious Pacer fans" or some other aptly titled label.

I'm sure that KStat, Pistoner, and the VAST MAJORITY of Pistons fans would not ever consider doing any of the behavior that we have seen pointed out in the media lately. In fact, they seem to have the attitude that they are growing tired of this behavior as fast or faster than the rest of us, because it starts these kids of conversations where they get lumped in to a huge put-down of "Pistons fans."

I see the crowd at the Palace when we play there just like the rest of you. Most, and I mean that vast majority that I stated above, are simply watching the game and cheering on their team, or dogging the Pacers. Just like we would be doing against any other team in the NBA. Granted, we may reserve more animosity for the Pistons (as their fans do for the Pacers), but we keep it within reason.

We aren't that different from each other, we just love our teams and hate the other so much that emotions boil over into name-calling and generalization-making, neither of which is productive or called for.

I hate the Pistons as much as anybody, but they and their fans deserve a break from the magnifying glass. They don't need to keep paying for the brawl any more than we or the Pacers do.

Let me see... I think I follow...
    Piston fans are loyal and walk on water. Pacer fans are fairweather, short-sighted, and hillbillies not above shouting racial insults (something beneath the Piston fans) and the Pacer fans are lucky that the NBA hasn't emptied Conseco of fans and made the team play in a dark (empty) arena due to our trangressions. Is that about right?

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness
    The difference is, this happened once, things happen in Auburn Hills on a much more frequent basis.
    Used to happen pretty regularly in MSA vs the Knicks. Not sure about against anyone else.

Don't think it ever went on in Conseco though I don't know for sure (it doesn't happen now - lots of security around the player entrance).
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Quote Originally Posted by heywoode
    I hate the Pistons as much as anybody, but they and their fans deserve a break from the magnifying glass. They don't need to keep paying for the brawl any more than we or the Pacers do.
    Uhhh Let me know when the Piston fans START paying for the brawl. That is the bone of contention that is boiling under the surface... Pacers got punished to the point that it crippled the team for the season. The Pistons didn't even get a reprimand. It was a blip on the radar for them and then their season and team was quickly back to normal. It's possible the Pacer team as it stands now will never return to where they were.

The ONLY ones holding the Pistons accountable at this point are the Pacer fans because there's no lasting effects for them otherwise. By virtue of the NBA's lack of action (against Detroit) the media and general public probably aren't even sure if the event happened in Detroit or Indy.

-Bball

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

sweabs

Seriously guys...who cares? This kind of thing can happen anywhere, just as heywoode said. All it takes is one idiot to get things started, and then everyone suffers.

As Jay pointed out, I'm afraid of what one stupid Pacer fan could start if we ever meet the Pistons in the playoffs. If that ever happens, we won't want to be generalized like many Pistons fans have, and have them coming on here and asking how we like it.

And it's not far from the truth...it could happen anywhere. It just takes one.

I think the Pistons fans have been paying for it with all of the talk lumping them all together as having the same mentality as the dumba$$ that threw the cup, called in the bomb threat, or lobbed a coin at AI.

I can say with a fair amount of certainty that if a few idiots caused an incident at Conseco to rival the brawl, we would be sick at the thought of it, and feel unjustly lumped in as "Pacers fans" who are out of control too.

That is the point I was trying to make.

Bball, while I understand your feelings that nothing of much consequence happened to the Pistons organization or their fans. The only problem is this: What would you have the NBA do to them that would be fair? It isn't anyone's fault what happened in Detroit (any of the incidents) other than the participants and it would be unfair to punish anyone other than them.

We as Pacers fans feel like we've been punished. The truth seems to be that that is a by-product of direct participants that are Pacers being punished for THEIR roles. Did it wreck our season? Sure. Where the punishments too harsh? I believe so. Are we, the fans being punished? Not really. I see no other way to punish the players involved without there being repercussions to the construct of the team that we follow.

My point is that somehow it always degenerates and I don't want to be lumped in with people that have a knee-jerk reaction and start calling names or generalizing, because I wouldn't want to be name-called or generalized on....That's it...

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    Go back and find the threads.

We had many suggesting punishments, and many of them were good.

Most involved spanking every fan, err, ahh, banning alcohol and making the Pistons play in a empty arena.
    you're going back to what he said.

Punishing EVERY pistons fan for something they didnt do would be like suspending every pacer for the year. Every pacer shouldnt get punished for being a teamate of ron artest, nor should every fan get punished simply for being a fan of the same team as gohn greene.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by heywoode
    I think the Pistons fans have been paying for it with all of the talk lumping them all together as having the same mentality as the dumba$$ that threw the cup, called in the bomb threat, or lobbed a coin at AI.

I can say with a fair amount of certainty that if a few idiots caused an incident at Conseco to rival the brawl, we would be sick at the thought of it, and feel unjustly lumped in as "Pacers fans" who are out of control too.

That is the point I was trying to make.

Bball, while I understand your feelings that nothing of much consequence happened to the Pistons organization or their fans. The only problem is this: What would you have the NBA do to them that would be fair? It isn't anyone's fault what happened in Detroit (any of the incidents) other than the participants and it would be unfair to punish anyone other than them.

We as Pacers fans feel like we've been punished. The truth seems to be that that is a by-product of direct participants that are Pacers being punished for THEIR roles. Did it wreck our season? Sure. Where the punishments too harsh? I believe so. Are we, the fans being punished? Not really. I see no other way to punish the players involved without there being repercussions to the construct of the team that we follow.

My point is that somehow it always degenerates and I don't want to be lumped in with people that have a knee-jerk reaction and start calling names or generalizing, because I wouldn't want to be name-called or generalized on....That's it...

I judge a man's intelligence by how much he agrees with my point of view, and you sir, are Albert Einstein.

Good posts.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    I'd say I highly doubt the guy that threw the coin was a pistons fan, but I doubt you'd believe me either....
    I think I remember this excuse from another Detroit incident.......

I find it VERY hard to believe that a man would spend that amount on tickets, not to be a Pistons fan.

Maybe he was really a Sixer fan, and he thought Iverson needed a raise.

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel
    What is up with their aim?!!?!

Pistons fans have the best aim in all of the NBA, perhaps all of sports.
    I said the same thing at a different forum.

BTW, I read this at that forum.

"Tom Wilson [loathed by Pacer Fans everywhere] was on one of the FM radio stations today and discussed the occurance saying Iverson was hit and that Iverson, Webber and all of the fans sitting around the tosser(both American and Brit meaning) pointed the culprit out. Tom then told the story that he heard from Security how the man who was taken away asked what was going to happen to him - he was told that he would be arrested, ticketed and charged, at which point he ratted on his buddy and said his buddy was the actual tosser. His buddy(the real tosser) was than arrested."

I added the bracketed comment.

woman without a team

I was just going to sit here and , but it's hard to eat popcorn when I'm . I've decided instead to heavily. Let me know when you're done .

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    Sorry, but it was more then just a few fans who acted up, so all can suffer.

I have been punished for my team-mates acting up, even when I behaved.

Lifes not fair, so yes, if I were in that situation I would not like being punished, but I could, and would, live with it.
    I'll remember that comment if/when what heywoode said comes to fruition.

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar
    Clearly the Detroit fans have not learned their lesson. Why is there no zero tolerance policy for them.

Good job Stern you really showed those drunken idiots that it is ok to throw things at people.

This has been my argument since 11/21/04. The fans were not dealt with harshly enough. Like I've said all along there WILL be without a doubt another brawl involving fans and players before this is completely settled.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

I don't have time to go back and read every thread that has been made about this and I don't really care.

I still say that why would you set a precedent that one, or a few, idiots can generate repercussions of that magnitude? It would open the floodgates for incidents where say, a Pacer fan wants to make it so Detroit has to play in an empty arena, so he goes to a game at the Palace in a Pistons jersey and acts a fool. Too easy to work the system when there are snap judgments like that.

I don't agree that you punish someone for something they have limited to NO control over.

Quote Originally Posted by fwpacerfan
    This has been my argument since 11/21/04. The fans were not dealt with harshly enough.
    I say the punishment for all Pistons fans is that Kstat is to be pelted with a melted ice cream cake......then we can all move on.......
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Quote Originally Posted by grace
    I was just going to sit here and , but it's hard to eat popcorn when I'm . I've decided instead to heavily. Let me know when you're done .
    Good point, Grace...Unfortunately I wasn't around for the original 'dead-horse-beating' so I have to jump in now!

You are very much right that the horse is DEAD.....(I'll still beat that ba$tard though!!)

Quote Originally Posted by fwpacerfan
    This has been my argument since 11/21/04. The fans were not dealt with harshly enough. Like I've said all along there WILL be without a doubt another brawl involving fans and players before this is completely settled.
    You are correct and the Piston fans' complete denial of culpability is IMHO evidence to that event coming.

They don't seem to accept they (or some of their own) were in the wrong nor do they seem to understand that they got off very easy. Too easy IMHO.

Until Piston fans accept that they crossed a line, and until the NBA actually draws that line in black and white, something is bound to happen again somewhere. What the NBA did is actually gave tacit approval to the fans of their actions.

And, as much as I would like to think not, I do think the NBA mixed the perfect recipe for this to happen at a Pistons vs Pacers game. Arrogant Piston fans and angry Pacer fans don't make a good combination.

And make no mistake, part of what we see coming from Piston fans is arrogance. Package it how you want. Call it homerism. Call it favoritism. But first and foremost it is arrogance at its root.

-Bball

------

-John Wooden