Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Iverson hit with coin by Detroit fan

Default Re: Iverson hit with coin by Detroit fan

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No, in that case, anytime you ever hear of anybody throwing a coin, anywhere it should be front-page news like this, since coin-throwing is such a hot topic.

Not that anyone here would really care if this happened in dallas.....

besides, from what I hear from Iverson, he's had MUCH worse experiences in Indiana.....wait, he was obviously lying. lets quickly stop talking about that. :tongue
    Detroit fans, similar to Artest, have earned their reputation. Nobody is going to feel sorry for you.

Really? "MUCH worse"? I'd rather have people yell anything at me than throw things at me. Both are bad, but words can't hurt you.

well, you certainly cant stab someone to death, because in that case.....
    Hey, I believe in non-violence.....

As for the elephant, it was the elephant's fault....
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie4Three
    Detroit fans, similar to Artest, have earned their reputation. Nobody is going to feel sorry for you.

Really? "MUCH worse"? I'd rather have people yell anything at me than throw things at me. Both are bad, but words can't hurt you.
    hmm, a plethora of extended racial biggotry, or a single quarter....

the quarter is over in a fraction of a second. and afterwords you get 25 cents for your trouble

about now is the time i expect someone to jump in and call Iverson a liar and say it never happened.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

the quarter is over in a fraction of a second. and afterwords you get 25 cents for your trouble

about now is the time i expect someone to jump in and call Iverson a liar and say it never happened.

Liar! It never happened

Of course we could be optimistic and ask what would happen if the coin hit iverson's eye, blinded him for life
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Really? Exactly what was said and how long did it go on? Apparently you have the 100% factual version of the story to go on.

We know for a fact that Detroit fans throw things. We can all see it with our own eyes.

Except for Iverson, who got hit in the eye

Really? Exactly what was said and how long did it go on? Apparently you have the 100% factual version of the story to go on.

We know for a fact that Detroit fans throw things. We can all see it with our own eyes.
    You're right. Pistons fans have it all wrong. We could all do the covert thing, and simply lay a bunch of racist slurs at Iverson, cause, you know, we can always deny it later on....

apparently they learned this lesson long ago, after they stabbed that bulls fan to death......

I guess they arent as good at HIDING dead bodies as they are at creating them.....

I love how everyone comes on here with this condascending holier-than-thou attitude. As if Pacer fans have had NO history of etiquette issues ever.....

apparently a single offender being turned in by people standing around him and promtly arrested isn't good enough for you. We should all take classes on how to properly behave, and use pacer fans as examples of how every good human being should act.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Sticks and stones may break your bones, but quarters will only put your eye out...

or something like that.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

I this thread.

Can't defend the action, so let's bring up dirt on the other guy!!

And yes, by all accounts Iverson was never proven correct. We've been over this. Stop (uh oh, here it comes! run!) lying.

You're right. Pistons fans have it all wrong. We could all do the covert thing, and simply lay a bunch of racist slurs at Iverson, cause, you know, we can always deny it later on....

apparently they learned this lesson long ago, after they stabbed that bulls fan to death......

I guess they arent as good at HIDING dead bodies as they are at creating them.....
    You're the one saying that it was "a bunch of racist slurs" or "a plethora of extended racial biggotry". If you tell me that someone dropped a racial slur, I'll buy it. If you're telling me that several people were all throwing out slurs over a long period of time, which is basically what you're saying, I'll tell you I highly doubt it.

Of course, this is all one weak attempt to deflect the discussion away from another Detroit incident. No matter how you look at it, the Detroit fans are continuing to uphold their well-earned reputation. Every time it happens, it's always "one idiot". When does this list of "idiots" end? What percentage of your ticket base are "idiots"?

Of course, this is all one weak attempt to deflect the discussion away from another Detroit incident. No matter how you look at it, the Detroit fans are continuing to uphold their well-earned reputation. Every time it happens, it's always "one idiot". When does this list of "idiots" end?
    That's where it begins and ends.

Of course, this is all one weak attempt to deflect the discussion away from another Detroit incident.
    There's this old saying..."he who is without sin, cast the first stone."

I believe the wise man that said it had situations like this in mind

I'd say I highly doubt the guy that threw the coin was a pistons fan, but I doubt you'd believe me either....

if you guys had as big a hardon for your OWN TEAM as you do for pistons fans, maybe you could actually sell out your home playoff games....

Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt
    Shhhh. Rational posts aren't welcome here.

I'd love to tell Kstat what actually happened in that Iverson game, but he's probably too busy gathering coins from around his house to read it.
    I know. . . . I'm not part of the inner circle here.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I love how everyone comes on here with this condascending holier-than-thou attitude. As if Pacer fans have had NO history of etiquette issues ever.....
    Its not "everyone" so we don't need you to go generalizing.

Really, this relationship between Pistons and Pacers fans is quite fragile yet explosive right now.

Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

I'm good, jay. I said what I wanted to say. Boston fans....bleh.

Personally, I was pretty pisssed off about that, anyway. If anyone next to me ever threw anything, they should pray that security gets to them before I do. But the situation couldnt have been handled any better than it was. I'm very encouraged that everyone else in that crowd felt like I do, and turned him in.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm good, jay. I said what I wanted to say. Boston fans....bleh.

Personally, I was pretty pisssed off about that, anyway. If anyone next to me ever threw anything, they should pray that security gets to them before I do. But the situation couldnt have been handled any better than it was. I'm very encouraged that everyone else in that crowd felt like I do, and turned him in.
    I agree, which is why I made that post earlier this morning that I feared was overlooked.

I had a long discussion with the kid sitting next to me at a game over Thanksgiving that was threatening to throw stuff from the balcony. I told him that if he did, I'd make sure he stayed in place long enough for security to drag him out and rough him up a bit...

People interested in fan behavior should take that approach, IMO, instead of continuosly point out the flaws in other fans' behavior.

I'm frankly concerned about drunk Pacers fans if we happen to meet the Pistons in the playoffs this season. There was already plenty of resentment based on Pistons' fans behavior last Spring, even before the brawl. I fear there will be many fights in the stands, restrooms, stairwells, etc.

Everyone seems more interested these days in their constitutionally protected rights to be @$$holes, or more specifically, drunken @$$holes, (and big business's right to make a healthy profit from drunken @$$holes) and not trying to turn the tide of foolish/ drunken fan behavior.

/sorry/
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

On a road trip about 3 seasons ago Iverson had a real rat thrown at him in 2 consecutive games when he was shooting free throws. The rats were dead but they were real and they landed near his feet 2 consecutive games on that road trip. It must have been some stalker that was following the 76ers during that trip. It never happened again but I don't think they ever found out who did it. So the coins aren't too bad in comparison.

The security at the Palace should have at least 2 uniformed police officers behind the benches protecting the players especially after the incident earlier this season. If they had 2 police officers standing there than that moron wouldn't even have thought about throwing the coins.

Just a side note about the game because I'm sure most of the Piston's fans will view this thread. The Piston's defense is awesome. One of the best I've seen since I've been watching the NBA. The 76ers struggled defensively this season but they were a pretty good offensive team. They averaged about 103 ppg after the Webber trade including a 126 pt effort against Miami but the Piston's are just flat out shutting them down. Prince is making Korver look like a scrub which is saying something because Korver is a talented offensive player and their team defense against Iverson has been great. They challenge every shot and it's almost impossible to get anything in the paint against them.

It would have been nice if it was the Pistons public address announcer who threw the coins and got thrown out of the arena.

Man, that guy is annoying. I thought the Nets guy with his "Jason Kidd" chant was bad but that dude in Detroit with his "Chauncey B-b-b-b-illups" and his "Deeeetroit Basketball" chant is unbearable.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

The report was incorrect and the fan released. It turns out he was merely returning some used battries he picked up at an away game in Philly last year.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

I love how everyone comes on here with this condascending holier-than-thou attitude.
    Ahem.

I was gonna start this post with "before the holier-than-thou" crowd gets going.

Too late.

Pacers fans used to regularly dump beer and throw coins at Knick players as they exited the court in MSA. Can't speak for any other team, or even non-playoff games.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Quote Originally Posted by dipperdunk
    Just a side note about the game because I'm sure most of the Piston's fans will view this thread. The Piston's defense is awesome. One of the best I've seen since I've been watching the NBA. The 76ers struggled defensively this season but they were a pretty good offensive team. They averaged about 103 ppg after the Webber trade including a 126 pt effort against Miami but the Piston's are just flat out shutting them down. Prince is making Korver look like a scrub which is saying something because Korver is a talented offensive player and their team defense against Iverson has been great. They challenge every shot and it's almost impossible to get anything in the paint against them.

It would have been nice if it was the Pistons public address announcer who threw the coins and got thrown out of the arena.

Man, that guy is annoying. I thought the Nets guy with his "Jason Kidd" chant was bad but that dude in Detroit with his "Chauncey B-b-b-b-illups" and his "Deeeetroit Basketball" chant is unbearable.
    See, thats why we all love Mason. No opposing fan can STAND him. Very few PA guys have the ability to get under people's skin. Mason has that quality.

BTW, his calls are IMMENSELY popular here.

Oh, and DD, I'd like to say that you start/play like 4-5 players either in their 1stor 2nd FULL season, and that theyre only going to get better, but would that make you feel any better? I doubt it. Didn't make me feel any better in 1996.

I really felt bad for iverson at last night's press conference. Dude looked beaten. I've NEVER seen AI look that depressed.

BTW, Dipper, do you guys plan on actually PRACTICING after this game?

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick
    I was gonna start this post with "before the holier-than-thou" crowd gets going.

Too late.

Pacers fans used to regularly dump beer and throw coins at Knick players as they exited the court in MSA. Can't speak for any other team, or even non-playoff games.

shhh...

You can't prove that. And it doesn't serve the Pacer fans' agenda to rip on Detroit and bait Kstat.

Quote Originally Posted by Pistoner
    shhh...

You can't prove that. And it doesn't serve the Pacer fans' agenda to rip on Detroit and bait Kstat.
    Just let it go. I've been through much worse. dragging this on further doesn't help anyone. It was probably a mistake for me to get involved to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Pistoner
    shhh...

http://slam.canoe.ca/NBAPlayoffs99/jun2_mil.html

Miller takes his shots at Ewing
    INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- About an hour after Reggie Miller hit the two free throws that won Game 2, he sat at the podium for his news conference and spotted Patrick Ewing entering in the room.
    "As long as you make the last (shot), that's all that matters," Miller said. "Right, Pat?"
    The jab was too easy for Miller to resist, coming after Ewing's last-gasp jumper hit the back of the rim.
    After restraining himself for more than a week and not saying anything even remotely controversial, Miller struck with his first dig. And the remark figures to only fuel the animosity that makes the Pacers-Knicks rivalry such a great one.
    "It's going to be a war," Ewing said.
    Both teams took the day off Wednesday since the series, tied 1-1, will not resume until Saturday at Madison Square Garden.
    By then, the hostility will shift the other way -- most of it aimed squarely at the No. 1 Knick killer of the decade, Miller.
    At Market Square Arena, the Knicks had to put up with taunting Indiana fans. Some of them behind the New York bench unleashed a stream of insults. Others showered the players with beer and hurled coins as they left the court.
    During the game, the jeering of Ewing became so intense that he waved his arms in an emphatic "bring it on" gesture completely out of character for the 14-year veteran. At another point, Ewing mixed it up in a friendly manner with four Pacers fans sitting alongide the players' seats.
    "They don't like me here," Ewing said.
    Ewing's animated Rileyesque gesture, coming as it did when the Knicks were falling behind by 17 points, was somehow indicative of the confidence he and his team are playing with this postseason.
    A month and a half ago, a 17-point deficit would have spelled certain doom for a team struggling to incorporate so many new additions and uncertain if it would make the playoffs -- or whether its coach would survive to see another day on the bench.
    These days, however, there is a fearlessness and cockiness to the Knicks that has surprised the Pacers.
    "We won, and it was not a pretty win, but a win is a win," Antonio Davis said. "New York will not go away. We must get ready to get in their house and go to work. We're looking forward to it."
    Most irritating to both teams was the way Game 2 was officiated by the veteran crew of Dick Bavetta, Hue Hollins and Joe Forte. New York was whistled for 40 fouls, including five on its point guards in the first nine minutes of the game. Miller hit the winning free throws with 2 seconds left after Chris Childs was whistled for his sixth foul.
    "We let the officiating overwhelm us at first," Houston said.
    Indiana's Rik Smits was limited to 13 minutes because of foul trouble, with a couple of the calls that went against him among the most questionable of the night.
    After Miller made his free throws, New York had one last chance. Charlie Ward, a former Heisman-winning quarterback at Florida State, whipped a court-length pass to Ewing near the opposing free throw line.
    Ewing wheeled and tossed up a high-arching shot that caromed off the rim.
    "It was a good look -- just missed," said coach Jeff Van Gundy, who contained himself when asked to comment on the officiating.
    Larry Johnson, Childs and Chris Dudley fouled out, Thomas, Ewing and Ward had four apiece and Marcus Camby had five -- the last of which was a blocking foul with 31 seconds left that the Knicks strongly felt should have gone the other way.
    "When your best players are sitting next to you," Van Gundy said, "it's not a great feeling."
    Said Childs: "We took their best shot, and I'm pretty sure there's going to be more shots taken, but I'm telling you, this is a special, special group of guys. We have so much fight and determination in us. We're going to play to the end."
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire