Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 109

Thread: 2016 Indiana Fever Thread

  1. #26
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    35
    Posts
    32,757

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2016 Indiana Fever Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Foul on Smits View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Fever need to go ahead leave Indianapolis. I'll never support them after tonight. I cant support ignorance. I've erased a long thread i was about to make basically because i know it will get deleted. But Protesting during the National Anthem is just a sign of selfishness and uninformed ignorance. And the sad thing is that I see these young kids properly standing for the anthem behind these idiots. The irony in the whole matter is that you cant find many countries who even have one female sports league let along a female pro basketball league.

    But ya. Protest right? Idiots. The Fever are a disgrace. Move to another city please.
    You are going to looooove the Pacers in a month...

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  3. #27
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    22,439

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2016 Indiana Fever Thread

    Really glad they lost after kneeling....not that I've ever watched a second of any of their games over the last 16 years. Glad their season is over after that.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 09-22-2016 at 07:18 AM.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  5. #28
    #Biggie4NPOY Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    23,349

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2016 Indiana Fever Thread

    how come us ringtoning our national anthem isn't ever "offensive?" it's the most sacred and holy thing but people don't even sing the whole damn song, people don't even know there's more than one verse.

  6. #29
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    22,439

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2016 Indiana Fever Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    how come us ringtoning our national anthem isn't ever "offensive?" it's the most sacred and holy thing but people don't even sing the whole damn song, people don't even know there's more than one verse.
    Because someone's intention in that scenario is to honor the flag instead of spitting on it.

    A lot of people have died for this country so that people have the freedom to do things like getting paid a nice livable salary to play a game in a league that has been watched by next to no one for 20 years. Only in America.

  7. #30
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    35
    Posts
    32,757

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2016 Indiana Fever Thread

    Every team in the NBA is going to have some form of this in a month. Might be one or two guys for some and others might be a whole team. It will reach a point where players will be criticized if they are standing for the anthem. If you haven't come to terms with that yet you probably need to start because this will only keep spreading and the hostile attitude towards the players that don't stand is only making it more popular.

    If anything you should probably be grateful to the Fever for making it obvious if it wasn't already.
    Last edited by Kstat; 09-22-2016 at 09:28 AM.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  8. #31

    Default Re: 2016 Indiana Fever Thread

    I have to imagine players protesting America over unjust violence will be a tough pill to swallow for all the fans who held a grudge for so long against the Pacers for having violent players. Not a good situation in a city like Indy when attendance has always been a problem anyway.

  9. #32
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    22,439

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2016 Indiana Fever Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Every team in the NBA is going to have some form of this in a month. If you haven't come to terms with that yet you probably need to start because this will only keep spreading.
    I have come to terms with it.....I'm watching less NFL than ever. If it weren't for a couple of highly competitive and enjoyable fantasy football leagues that I'm in, then I would be paying virtually no attention at this point. Thankfully I don't have to really watch much to have a competitive team. It's all just looking at stats and reading an article from an "expert" every Tuesday which recommends who to add. I'll follow suit with the NBA too if it comes to that. The NBA product is already incredibly weak compared to what it used to be, so it won't take that much to push me away.

    I watch sports for entertainment and a release from the real world. I don't watch it to get lectured on political and social justice issues by a bunch of smug athletes and reporters who feel that their playing/covering a game with a bunch of grown men in tights in a self-serving/over saturated/over commercialized league gives them the green light to shove a political agenda down everyone's throat. If I want to hear political stuff, there are a million different media outlets to get news from.

    In fairness to the Fever, their protests don't hurt the business because no one cares about that league to begin with. I'm laughing that they lost though. It's having a real impact on the NFL (ratings have taken a hit). See, a smart businessman like Michael Jordan understood that you don't tick off millions of customers by popping off about political issues that will automatically alienate millions of people. This is why his political comments have been few and far between over the years. Republicans buy sneakers too.

    I don't expect anyone to care about my opinion on this because I don't care about anyone's opinion either. It's a polarizing issue. Millions of people are on both sides. From a business standpoint, it's pure idiocy to alienate so many customers. Kneeling/sitting during the Anthem....right as the country was remembering a terrorist attack which killed 3,000 from every sort of socio-economic background...that ticks A LOT of people off.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 09-22-2016 at 09:48 AM.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  11. #33
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    57
    Posts
    16,863

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2016 Indiana Fever Thread

    Wow. Once again we see that the team playing, donating huge amounts of time and money to foundations to support women and children in Indianapolis and around the country, being solid citizens and not getting into trouble get zero attention for those things, but make one protest and suddenly they are not only getting more attention but it is from people who didn't know they existed before.

    I think if you went out and asked the majority of veterans, they will tell you they don't fight for the flag. If it was a choice between defending a person and letting the flag fall to the ground, the flag would be on the ground.

    The right to protest is fundamental to the freedom we claim to fight for. So is the right to disagree with the protest.

    In this case, though, rather than discussing what is being protested, everything is based on veneration of the national anthem as a holy ritual that in and of itself is more important than the rights the country claims to stand for. In other words, being incensed because respectfully protesting (and I can't see why kneeling is less respectful than the fans in the crowd who talk on their phones and pay no attention) is deflecting the issue to be about an authoritative symbol that should be controlling our actions. For lack of a better term (because this is essentially the very definition of the term), that's fascism.

    I, for one, am proud of the members of the Fever for having the guts to risk the exact same sort of reaction that we've seen. I expect that very soon we will see someone get beaten over this - beaten because they didn't properly venerate a piece of cloth that supposedly stands for their right to voice their objections.
    BillS

    A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
    Or throw in a first-round pick and flip it for a max-level point guard...

  12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:


  13. #34
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    57
    Posts
    16,863

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2016 Indiana Fever Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't watch it to get lectured on political and social justice issues by a bunch of smug athletes and reporters who feel that their playing/covering a game with a bunch of grown men in tights in a self-serving/over saturated/over commercialized league gives them the green light to shove a political agenda down everyone's throat.
    Wow. They beat you over the head with this by changing their position during a 3-minute section of pregame? Imagine what it would be like if they REALLY lectured you on what was going on and how they felt about it.
    BillS

    A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
    Or throw in a first-round pick and flip it for a max-level point guard...

  14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:


  15. #35
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    35
    Posts
    32,757

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2016 Indiana Fever Thread

    It's a different world than it was 20 years ago. "Republicans buy shoes too" is no longer a free pass.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  16. #36
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    22,439

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2016 Indiana Fever Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wow. They beat you over the head with this by changing their position during a 3-minute section of pregame? Imagine what it would be like if they REALLY lectured you on what was going on and how they felt about it.
    Lol, you make it sound like they knelt during something meaningless like Boomer and the power pack. Those 3 minutes mean a lot to a lot of people. It's pretty much giving the middle finger to the flag. I get that it doesn't bother a lot of people. But it does bother quite a few.

    (Again, the alienation angle isn't very relevant in the Fever's case since so few care to begin with. It matters in the NBA and NFL though since people actually watch those leagues).

  17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  18. #37
    --------- freddielewis14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    indianapolis
    Posts
    7,224

    Default Re: 2016 Indiana Fever Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have come to terms with it.....I'm watching less NFL than ever. If it weren't for a couple of highly competitive and enjoyable fantasy football leagues that I'm in, then I would be paying virtually no attention at this point. Thankfully I don't have to really watch much to have a competitive team. It's all just looking at stats and reading an article from an "expert" every Tuesday which recommends who to add. I'll follow suit with the NBA too if it comes to that. The NBA product is already incredibly weak compared to what it used to be, so it won't take that much to push me away.

    I watch sports for entertainment and a release from the real world. I don't watch it to get lectured on political and social justice issues by a bunch of smug athletes and reporters who feel that their playing/covering a game with a bunch of grown men in tights in a self-serving/over saturated/over commercialized league gives them the green light to shove a political agenda down everyone's throat. If I want to hear political stuff, there are a million different media outlets to get news from.

    In fairness to the Fever, their protests don't hurt the business because no one cares about that league to begin with. I'm laughing that they lost though. It's having a real impact on the NFL (ratings have taken a hit). See, a smart businessman like Michael Jordan understood that you don't tick off millions of customers by popping off about political issues that will automatically alienate millions of people. This is why his political comments have been few and far between over the years. Republicans buy sneakers too.

    I don't expect anyone to care about my opinion on this because I don't care about anyone's opinion either. It's a polarizing issue. Millions of people are on both sides. From a business standpoint, it's pure idiocy to alienate so many customers. Kneeling/sitting during the Anthem....right as the country was remembering a terrorist attack which killed 3,000 from every sort of socio-economic background...that ticks A LOT of people off.
    I wouldn't have pegged you for this point of view.

  19. #38
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    22,439

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2016 Indiana Fever Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by freddielewis14 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wouldn't have pegged you for this point of view.

    You didn't peg me for someone who respected the flag? Sorry for giving you the wrong impression.

  20. #39
    --------- freddielewis14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    indianapolis
    Posts
    7,224

    Default Re: 2016 Indiana Fever Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lol, you make it sound like they knelt during something meaningless like Boomer and the power pack. Those 3 minutes mean a lot to a lot of people. It's pretty much giving the middle finger to the flag. I get that it doesn't bother a lot of people. But it does bother quite a few.

    (Again, the alienation angle isn't very relevant in the Fever's case since so few care to begin with. It matters in the NBA and NFL though since people actually watch those leagues).
    It's not a middle finger to the flag. The flag is a symbol of justice and equality. Murders you call political issues you want ignored are a middle finger to the flag.
    Last edited by freddielewis14; 09-22-2016 at 10:34 AM.

  21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freddielewis14 For This Useful Post:


  22. #40
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    22,439

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2016 Indiana Fever Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by freddielewis14 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not a middle finger to the flag. The flag is a symbol of justice and equality. Murders you call political issues you want ignored are a middle figure to the flag.
    That's your opinion. I disagree. Did the Fever kneel every time an Indianapolis police officer was killed over the years? Of course not. I don't expect to change your mind because you won't be changing mine either. Standing/kneeling during the anthem is going to rub a lot of people the wrong way any way you slice it. When you're running a business, it's generally not a good idea to polarize such a large segment of the population.

  23. #41
    --------- freddielewis14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    indianapolis
    Posts
    7,224

    Default Re: 2016 Indiana Fever Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's your opinion. I disagree. Did the Fever kneel every time an Indianapolis police officer was killed over the years? Of course not. I don't expect to change your mind because you won't be changing mine either. Standing/kneeling during the anthem is going to rub a lot of people the wrong way any way you slice it. When you're running a business, it's generally not a good idea to polarize such a large segment of the population.
    That argument makes no sense. The murderers of police officers are brought to justice.

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to freddielewis14 For This Useful Post:


  25. #42
    --------- freddielewis14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    indianapolis
    Posts
    7,224

    Default Re: 2016 Indiana Fever Thread

    I will add, I would never protest during the flag. The first thing I did when I bought my home is put a flag up. I don't think there is anything wrong with the protest, but I have an absurd amount of civic pride and while I recognize injustices I'm just not at a point where I would protest during the anthem.

    But when you have vets feeling like they should speak out and protest during the anthem, why can't players to gain national attention for the issues? Businesses and fans need to know what the people they pay to see think.

    Was Bill Russell wrong to speak out? Was Ali?
    Last edited by freddielewis14; 09-22-2016 at 10:35 AM.

  26. #43
    --------- freddielewis14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    indianapolis
    Posts
    7,224

    Default Re: 2016 Indiana Fever Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Foul on Smits View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Fever need to go ahead leave Indianapolis. I'll never support them after tonight. I cant support ignorance. I've erased a long thread i was about to make basically because i know it will get deleted. But Protesting during the National Anthem is just a sign of selfishness and uninformed ignorance. And the sad thing is that I see these young kids properly standing for the anthem behind these idiots. The irony in the whole matter is that you cant find many countries who even have one female sports league let along a female pro basketball league.

    But ya. Protest right? Idiots. The Fever are a disgrace. Move to another city please.
    And you do realize the Fever coach just left to coach college right?

    And you might as well start burning your Pacer jerseys now. I'd bet any amount of money Myles Turner speaks out.

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to freddielewis14 For This Useful Post:


  28. #44
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    22,439

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2016 Indiana Fever Thread

    I hope the NBA pushes me away too because I've enjoyed not spending so much of my Sunday on the NFL. It's nice to get outside, golf, piddle around the house, walk the dog, enjoy the weather, work, do yard stuff, etc. All a much better use of a Sunday than getting so emotionally invested in a bunch of grown men playing a game just because they wear a certain logo. As you get older, you realize that the whole concept of sports fandom is kind of silly.

  29. #45
    --------- freddielewis14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    indianapolis
    Posts
    7,224

    Default Re: 2016 Indiana Fever Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hope the NBA pushes me away too because I've enjoyed not spending so much of my Sunday on the NFL. It's nice to get outside, golf, piddle around the house, walk the dog, enjoy the weather, work, do yard stuff, etc. All a much better use of a Sunday than getting so emotionally invested in a bunch of grown men playing a game just because they wear a certain logo. As you get older, you realize that the whole concept of sports fandom is kind of silly.
    Sports fandom is for sure silly. When I was younger I would get upset about it, now not at all really. I live downtown so I do Colts tailgates and go to the games, go to all the Pacer games. You get outside, hang out with friends and family. I'm saying this to say, sports brings people together and isn't just a waste of time unless you make it that.

    Sad if you lose interest because the players aren't mindless drones bowing to fans and businesses. Glad Ali, Russell, etc. didn't act like that.

  30. The Following User Says Thank You to freddielewis14 For This Useful Post:


  31. #46
    "Microprocessors" Natston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Taunton, Massachusetts
    Age
    33
    Posts
    8,879
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2016 Indiana Fever Thread

    I think that the most irritating part of this ties into what you are talking about. The pledge of Allegiance or standing during the national anthem shouldn't be mandatory. Part of the reason for the anthem (or prayer before/after an event) is bring (mostly) everyone together and remind us that the game is just a game.

    It's irritating because an individual or a group is taking focus away from that. The "cause" is not the concern, but rather "my cause" is more important than anything else including something that people take very seriously. There are better ways to bring awareness or promote discussion other than being passive aggressive or provocative...
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)


    Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

  32. The Following User Says Thank You to Natston For This Useful Post:


  33. #47
    TRADE MONTA Sandman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Area55 - Now, Then, Forever
    Posts
    7,829

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2016 Indiana Fever Thread

    It's really too bad that all of this has overshadowed the end of an era.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

    "And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "

  34. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:


  35. #48
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    57
    Posts
    16,863

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2016 Indiana Fever Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's really too bad that all of this has overshadowed the end of an era.
    Yep. When Briann hugged Catch last night after the game I thought I was going to lose it.
    BillS

    A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
    Or throw in a first-round pick and flip it for a max-level point guard...

  36. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:


  37. #49

    Default Re: 2016 Indiana Fever Thread

    What bugs me is the stats. Which i'm not going to get into. But the real cause they should be kneeling for is the rampant black on black crime in America. The numbers dont lie. Actually go out into the communities. Donate money. Help the poor. Do whatever. But when i see African Americans using cops shooting black men as a means to protest that Black Lives Matter, I laugh. I laugh hard. Its self serving and ignorant and uninformed about the real problems.

  38. #50
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,498

    Default Re: 2016 Indiana Fever Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's really too bad that all of this has overshadowed the end of an era.
    A decision the Fever players made....
    Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  39. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •