Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 63

Thread: GQ article on Artest

  1. #26
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: GQ article on Artest

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Let me ask you this when you have a family member die do you get a few days away from work. I sure do.

    Pacers should have given him a few days away, not fined him or suspended him and nothing would have happended.
    He didn't ask for a few days away from work. He wanted to retire. Immediately. He tried to quit on this team for GOOD.

  2. #27
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,755

    Default Re: GQ article on Artest

    Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He didn't ask for a few days off.

    But history does have a strange habit of revising itself around here the more distant it becomes.


    Did I ever say he asked for a few days off.

    I said the pacers should have told him to take a fews days off, mourn the loss of your grandmother, and come back ready to go.

    I remember the incident rather well, so don't give me that

  3. #28
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: GQ article on Artest

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did I ever say he asked for a few days off.

    I said the pacers should have told him to take a fews days off, mourn the loss of your grandmother, and come back ready to go.

    I remember the incident rather well, so don't give me that
    But what does that have to do with the fact that he tried to quit on the team? Not a whole lot.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  4. #29
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: GQ article on Artest

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did I ever say he asked for a few days off.

    I said the pacers should have told him to take a fews days off, mourn the loss of your grandmother, and come back ready to go.

    I remember the incident rather well, so don't give me that
    Well, look how you said it:

    " Pacers should have given him a few days away, not fined him or suspended him and nothing would have happended."

    As if to say Ron only asked for time to mourn for his grandmother.

    Besides, this did start with Ron asking to retire; that came before anything else in the matter. Hard to pin this on the Pacers.

  5. #30
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,755

    Default Re: GQ article on Artest

    Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Based on what happened, it's fairly obvious to anyone that allows themsleves to believe it that he walked into the front office and said "I'm retiring. I have a record coming out. See ya" (Paraphrasing a tiny bit).

    That is just crazy, Ron never walked into the front office and said he wants to retire because I have a record coming out. That is categorically untrue.

    That is simply not what happened.


    Yes Ron said he wanted to retire. I don't doubt that. But he obviously didn't retire. And if he really wanted to retire, suspending him would have pushed him into retirement even faster. So obviously Ron decided not to retire

    Hicks I'm responding to you also

  6. #31
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: GQ article on Artest

    I think the CD stuff was a bogus mixup by the media. As I understood it, he walked into Rick or somebody's office and said his 'body was hurting' and he planned to retire immediately. If the Pacers don't raise hell about it, so to speak, and just wait to see what happens next, I think he leaves. Either way, I have no doubt he meant it when he said it, and you just do not do that to a franchise or a team.

  7. #32
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: GQ article on Artest

    I will say if Ron wanted to leave, it would have been more dramatic (and on one level funny) if he simply pulled a Carlos Rogers, never to be seen or heard from again. Hilarious and fitting, while hidden underneath the outrage and disappointment it would bring.

  8. #33
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,755

    Default Re: GQ article on Artest

    Hicks if Ron would have just disappeared that would have been far worse.

    Don't forget, Ron said he wanted to retire and then as the story he did not get on the team charter to Minnesota, but the next day he took a commercial flight. So obviously he had a change of heart, so I guess he wanted to retire for about 12 hours and probably 7 of those he was sleeping


    Oh and yes I will be hius biggest cheerleader, because he is worth it. I don't have any doubt in my mind about that.

  9. #34
    Harmonica
    Guest

    Default Re: GQ article on Artest

    It's obvious from that article that Ron is emotionally unstable—he's a child. And if I were management I would find it extremely troubling. Game over, folks. If you can't see that, then you need a reality check. And that has nothing to do with whether you like the guy or not.

  10. #35
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: GQ article on Artest

    Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's obvious from that article that Ron is emotionally unstable—he's a child. And if I were management I would find it extremely troubling. Game over, folks. If you can't see that, then you need a reality check. And that has nothing to do with whether you like the guy or not.
    So... when Larry says he's absolutely convinced Ron is a changed man, and he'll be here for a long time, and he won't be traded for anybody less than a top-10 player, what do you think?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  11. #36
    Harmonica
    Guest

    Default Re: GQ article on Artest

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So... when Larry says he's absolutely convinced Ron is a changed man, and he'll be here for a long time, and he won't be traded for anybody less than a top-10 player, what do you think?
    I think it's the media-friendly thing to say.

  12. #37
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: GQ article on Artest

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So... when Larry says he's absolutely convinced Ron is a changed man, and he'll be here for a long time, and he won't be traded for anybody less than a top-10 player, what do you think?
    The moment I read that, I didn't think Larry really believed what he said. But that's just me.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  13. #38
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: GQ article on Artest

    Fair enough.

    There's not much worth debating at this point. We'll see what happens.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  14. #39
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,992

    Default Re: GQ article on Artest

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why the long wait, then? I mean, they didn't update it at all. The information is current as of the All-Star Break.
    I'm wondering if this is what was meant back when Ron's people told us we'd hear from him on such and such date in April.

    And they probably sat on this interview (were contractually bound to do so) this long in order to not affect... or impact... Ron's potential return to the playing court this season. Which is no longer an issue.

    -Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  15. #40

    Default Re: GQ article on Artest

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, look how you said it:

    " Pacers should have given him a few days away, not fined him or suspended him and nothing would have happended."

    As if to say Ron only asked for time to mourn for his grandmother.

    Besides, this did start with Ron asking to retire; that came before anything else in the matter. Hard to pin this on the Pacers.
    We don't know the habits and lifestyles of other people. For all we know, Ron might have had a hard time trying to discuss something like the death of his grandmother. He simply did not know how to talk about it, and so he doesn't mention it to others. His way to get out of it was to get away from it all. Stress does wonders on people, as do personal deaths
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

  16. #41
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,755

    Default Re: GQ article on Artest

    Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's obvious from that article that Ron is emotionally unstable—he's a child. And if I were management I would find it extremely troubling. Game over, folks. If you can't see that, then you need a reality check. And that has nothing to do with whether you like the guy or not.

    Oh I can see it. I can see it very clearly. But I'm not trading him for Bonzi Wells. If the Pacers can't get a top 10 type player then Ron will be here for his entire career.

    I see Ron for exactly what he is, and I still want him playing for the Pacers

  17. #42
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,626

    Default Re: GQ article on Artest

    I saw nothing in that article to make me think there won't be another "Artest Incident".

    That's disappointing. I want to believe he's learned his lesson. I like Ron as a person. And he is a top 10 player when his head's on straight.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  18. #43
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,755

    Default Re: GQ article on Artest

    Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    *I cant help it, I cant stay out of this thread*

    I swear there are two different UB's posting in this thread.

    This above post is great. I have no problem with the fact you love his game. Hell, so do I.

    I dont want to see him traded for scrubs, but I could live with it. You couldnt, but thats fine.

    What gets me is how you keep making excuses for him. I stopped that last year. He is a man who had admitted he has a lot of issues, and most, if not all of them came out this past season.

    Either way i wish Ron all the best, I really love his game.....when he is playing, that it..


    I think the problem is I can't write a long and balanced post every time. So I defend him where I feel I need to. But when I defend him in some areas, I don't feel the need to repeat myself over and over again about things I won't defend him on.

    Let me end with this. Seeing Ron run up in the stands about gave me a heart attack, I've never felt that way before in my entire life. I would venture to guess that when Ron screws I take it as hard as anyone. Yes I do get mad at him when he does stupid things, which is way too often. And I hate it.

    Do you think I enjoy coming to Pacerdigest after Ron has screwed up, No I don't. I wish ron would shape up.

    But I don't want him traded. He and J.O will win a championship in the near future.

  19. #44
    Harmonica
    Guest

    Default Re: GQ article on Artest

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But I don't want him traded. He and J.O will win a championship in the near future.
    Okay Sassan, what have you done with UB?

  20. #45
    Fear my small avatar Gyron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    6,366

    Default Re: GQ article on Artest

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would venture to guess that when Ron screws I take it as hard as anyone.

  21. #46
    teY dennaB toN
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,606

    Default Re: GQ article on Artest



    UB - Yesterday it was the shot **** and today it is this? Is there something you need to share with the group?


  22. #47
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: GQ article on Artest

    Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can't believe people are making excuses for his abandoning his teammates.

    That should be sitting far worse than the brawl in anyone's minds. Really, he's almost lucky the brawl happened. Because of it, people who want to have been able to make a martyr out of him, something which should be completely impossible with the whole "I'm quitting on all of you and leaving you high and dry. I hope you don't have any problems with the shot ****" thing.
    Bravo.

    I frankly wonder if the season would've turned out any better if Ron weren't suspended for the season back in November. But for the fact that he became untradeable, Stern perhaps saved Reggie's retirement season from an even worse brewing behind-the-scenes blowup.

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh I can see it. I can see it very clearly. But I'm not trading him for Bonzi Wells. If the Pacers can't get a top 10 type player then Ron will be here for his entire career.

    I see Ron for exactly what he is, and I still want him playing for the Pacers
    The clock's ticking. I think his "career" has less than six months left. I still say getting anything for him (a future first rounder is sufficient in my book) is better than the risk of watching him flame out.

    I frankly hope Ron has enough common sense to publicly ask the Pacers for a trade so he can get a 'clean start' somewhere else. That's his only hope and that's probably the only hope for the people still on his bandwagon to come to terms with the end of Ron's days as a Pacer.

    This isn't politically correct to mention, but I wonder if his next bizarre act when he can't handle the pressure of life/ professional athletics will be to hurt himself?


    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sorry, but I really disagree. Did you read the article. His life is hectic, he needs a vacation from it.
    His life's too hectic? That's his fault, period. Nobody on the Pacers told him to become a record producer, or the other crap he does to stretch himself too thin, and they sure as hell didn't tell him to release the CD during the season. Not that I believe that's the root cause of his time off/ retirement issue, but that's still pretty stupid, don't'cha think?

    Note that Reggie waited until he last season to really get involved with outside/ Hollywood projects.

    I'm sorry to hear about his grandmother, players are allowed to miss a game or two when that happens. And they don't have to threaten to retire to get bereavement time. So that seems to be a reach for sympathy from the people making him a martyr, not the issue that was really driving his wacky behavior "in real time."

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think his relationship with J.O is any factor in his stress, knowing Artest he could could not care any less about his relationship with J.O.
    Now that's a ringing endoresement for teamwork.

    Out of everything you said, that's the #1 reason for just getting rid of him, even if you don't get so-called 'fair value' in return.

    The last I checked, basketball is still a team game. "Teamwork" skills are just as important as shooting, dribbling, defensive effort, etc. And that's why you 'overvalue' Ron vs. the rest of the GMs in the NBA - they know he'll be a detriment to teamwork until (unless) he figures it out.

    So his real 'fair value' is not very high, when the willing buyer considers all the relevant facts. Even DW knows it, Ron's on-court play could command a max contract, but DW only offered him something marginally higher than the MLE, and the only reasonable explanation is that DW knew Ron was not dependable.


    /Put down the Ron Artest thread, and slowly walk away/
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  23. #48
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,755

    Default Re: GQ article on Artest

    Maybe I'm the one who needs the vacation.

    Glad I can entertain all of you though.

    Really, I'm not crazy the crazy man says

  24. #49

    Default Re: GQ article on Artest

    Well if you are crazy then I must be too....
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

  25. #50
    recap
    Guest

    Default Re: GQ article on Artest

    I am tired of having one of the better teams in the NBA but not really having a chance to compete for a championship. The way I see it, if there is a 70% chance the Artest has another major incident next year, then there is a 30% chance that we will compete for a title. Without Artest, I don't think we have a legit shot. I will take the 30% chance, and love eery minute of watching him play.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •