Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GQ article on Artest

Default GQ article on Artest

You have to click on the link. There are 13 pages and I'm not cutting and pasting all of those.

Wow that is long, I got about 1/3 of the way through it.

http://men.style.com/gq/features/lan...d=content_1487

Free Ron Artest!
    The day of the 2005 NBA All-Star Game, Ron Artest—the league's best defensive player, the guy who would be in Denver playing in the all-star game right now if he hadn't gone charging into the stands after a fan who threw a beer at him, inciting the now infamous Brawl—is at home in Indianapolis, baking a cake. By Lisa DePaulo; photographs by Martin Schoeller
    "It's an ice cream cake," says Ron Artest.
    He pads over to the oven in socks with holes in them to check on his creation. "You never had an ice cream cake? See, first you make this..." He proudly shows me the empty box from the Pillsbury Moist Supreme Lemon cake mix that he whipped up this morning. "Then you put this..." Lined up on the counter is an array of cans: cream-cheese frosting, raspberry spread, pineapple spread, vanilla frosting. "This all goes in the middle, with the ice cream. I got strawberry ice cream, but then I put extra strawberries in it. Here, I'll show you." He opens the freezer door to show me the mashed-up ice cream he made, in a tinfoil pan. "Then you put the other cake on top, and more vanilla frosting, until you make it look real nice, and then we're done."

Is this a...recipe?

"Um, I guessed it." He smiles shyly. "This past Valentine's Day, for my wife, I just guessed it. Usually, every holiday or on birthdays, we get an ice cream cake from Baskin-Robbins." But then he figured, Why spend all that money at Baskin-Robbins? (Things are a little tight this year, what with the $5 million he lost from getting suspended for the season.) "So I just tried to make it. And everybody said they liked it. They asked me to make it again, so I said okay." He giggles. "I hope you like it."

click for the full article >

ImCrazyB

Default Re: GQ article on Artest

Pretty good article.

I really don't think Ron has as bad of an anger problem as everyone makes him out to have.

He is very unique, no one can argue that

he wants to play 20 seasons.

I'm not sure what to think of that article other than I think the guy still has a screw loose. Not saying he isn't a changed man, but there's still something rattling around up there.

And I'm one of his supporters....

"How weird is this guy"

When he's alone again, I ask him if he still wants out.

"Oh, no," he says. "My goodness. That was a tough time, but I have some good family support, and they helped me get through it. Which was definitely needed at the time." He says he intends to play in the NBA for at least twenty seasons. He wants to win a championship, at least one. There is nothing he loves more than basketball.

And that retirement thing?

He's over that.
    ----

That's good to know.

I really do like Ron as a person, he seems really down to earth.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

canyoufeelit

This article is from around the all-star break. Pretty upsetting though to me at least because it shows he hasn't changed completely yet

"Daddy," says Sade. "Stop being so crazy."

Lmao

Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Then he sits back on the stool and says there's one thing he should have made clear. "When they said I wanted to retire to do a rap album? That's not true." He is referring to the comment he made at the beginning of this season that infuriated the sports world. How dare Ron Artest, making $6 million a year to play a game, want to take time off to cut a frickin' rap album?

So what part wasn't true?

"Honestly? At that time, I wanted to get out. At the time. There was a lot of stress."

He explains how his grandmother had just died, and when he saw all his family at the funeral he started to wonder what was important to him. Things hit home. "It was pretty bad. So I just—I was really ready to move out of this whole lifestyle, just go home and maybe get a little apartment and just have a different lifestyle."
    This was a good bit... pretty much exactly what we all said. He's pretty sketchy on what the "lot of stress" is from, but most of us assumed it was his relationship w/ JO, right?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Great article, thanks for posting this.

Its going to be in the may issue of the magazine

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Artest
    "If someone punches me, I'm gonna punch him. Or somebody throws something at me, I'm gonna punch him. So I wouldn't have did...[long pause]...anything different. Because I didn't hurt nobody
    *sigh* Well, that just about kills any hope I had of him learning anything.

Mood

What can I say? I like the guy as a person, and I don't think he knows what he's doing, most of the time. There's some kind of... almost innocence about him. It's like he has this ignorance about how parts of this world work.

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    It is coming out?

I thought this was from a past one......
    I think its this one that is coming out, its say May 2005 in their archive

Why the long wait, then? I mean, they didn't update it at all. The information is current as of the All-Star Break.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Hicks to the part you quoted, I cant belive he would say that after everything that happend.

Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac
    Hicks to the part you quoted, I cant belive he would say that after everything that happend.
    Ron says a lot of things that are hard to believe. He's just...well, he's crazy.

IndyToad
    Has no insight

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    This was a good bit... pretty much exactly what we all said. He's pretty sketchy on what the "lot of stress" is from, but most of us assumed it was his relationship w/ JO, right?

"When they said I wanted to retire to do a rap album? That's not true." He is referring to the comment he made at the beginning of this season that infuriated the sports world. How dare Ron Artest, making $6 million a year to play a game, want to take time off to cut a frickin' rap album?

"Honestly? At that time, I wanted to get out. At the time. There was a lot of stress."

He explains how his grandmother had just died, and when he saw all his family at the funeral he started to wonder what was important to him. Things hit home. "It was pretty bad. So I just—I was really ready to move out of this whole lifestyle, just go home and maybe get a little apartment and just have a different lifestyle." He thought maybe he could get a real job. That's why, he says, he applied for that job at Circuit City.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem

I don't think his relationship with J.O is any factor in his stress, knowing Artest he could could not care any less about his relationship with J.O.

Ron explains it very well, his grandmother died, he was going through a hard time with that.

It is perfectly normal to "want to get away from it all" There are days I just want to get away from it all, get a different type of job, move someplace ......seems like a perfectly normal type of thing

Thumbs down Re: GQ article on Artest

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    "When they said I wanted to retire to do a rap album? That's not true." He is referring to the comment he made at the beginning of this season that infuriated the sports world. How dare Ron Artest, making $6 million a year to play a game, want to take time off to cut a frickin' rap album?

He explains how his grandmother had just died, and when he saw all his family at the funeral he started to wonder what was important to him. Things hit home. "It was pretty bad. So I just—I was really ready to move out of this whole lifestyle, just go home and maybe get a little apartment and just have a different lifestyle." He thought maybe he could get a real job. That's why, he says, he applied for that job at Circuit City.

I don't think his relationship with J.O is any factor in his stress, knowing Artest he could could not care any less about his relationship with J.O.

Ron explains it very well, his grandmother died, he was going through a hard time with that.

It is perfectly normal to "want to get away from it all" There are days I just want to get away from it all, get a different type of job, move someplace ......seems like a perfectly normal type of thing
    Sorry, not so perfectly normal when you MAKE SEVEN MILLION DOLLARS A YEAR PLAYING A KIDS GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mood

It's normal to think about it. It's normal to talk about it to your friend or family. It's NOT normal to go up to your boss and say because of that feeling, you plan to quit your job. And in this case, it's a job where at least 10 other people were DIRECTLY counting on you so they get the most out of there own jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerMan
    Sorry, not so perfectly normal when you MAKE SEVEN MILLION DOLLARS A YEAR PLAYING A KIDS GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sorry, but I really disagree. Did you read the article. His life is hectic, he needs a vacation from it.

I guarantee you every NBA player from time to time fantasizes about having a different life. It is human nature to do day dream about that thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    It's normal to think about it. It's normal to talk about it to your friend or family. It's NOT normal to go up to your boss and say because of that feeling, you plan to quit your job. And in this case, it's a job where at least 10 other people were DIRECTLY counting on you so they get the most out of there own jobs.

But did he quit his job. NO.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacerMan
    The dollar amount doesn't matter. The guy is HUMAN. He mourns for the loss of family members just like we all do.

He is perfectly legit for leaving the team for this reason as long as he doesn't get paid for it. He's not strapped 100% to his duty for the Pacers. He could leave at any time; look at what Ricky Williams did.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Mood

But did he quit his job. NO.
    Because his boss had to suspend him and talk him out of doing it. Nothing makes it OK to begin with.

Let me ask you this when you have a family member die do you get a few days away from work. I sure do.

Pacers should have given him a few days away, not fined him or suspended him and nothing would have happended.