Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 63

Thread: GQ article on Artest

  1. #1
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,709

    Default GQ article on Artest

    You have to click on the link. There are 13 pages and I'm not cutting and pasting all of those.

    Wow that is long, I got about 1/3 of the way through it.



    http://men.style.com/gq/features/lan...d=content_1487

    Free Ron Artest!
    The day of the 2005 NBA All-Star Game, Ron Artest—the league's best defensive player, the guy who would be in Denver playing in the all-star game right now if he hadn't gone charging into the stands after a fan who threw a beer at him, inciting the now infamous Brawl—is at home in Indianapolis, baking a cake. By Lisa DePaulo; photographs by Martin Schoeller
    "It's an ice cream cake," says Ron Artest.
    He pads over to the oven in socks with holes in them to check on his creation. "You never had an ice cream cake? See, first you make this..." He proudly shows me the empty box from the Pillsbury Moist Supreme Lemon cake mix that he whipped up this morning. "Then you put this..." Lined up on the counter is an array of cans: cream-cheese frosting, raspberry spread, pineapple spread, vanilla frosting. "This all goes in the middle, with the ice cream. I got strawberry ice cream, but then I put extra strawberries in it. Here, I'll show you." He opens the freezer door to show me the mashed-up ice cream he made, in a tinfoil pan. "Then you put the other cake on top, and more vanilla frosting, until you make it look real nice, and then we're done."

    Is this a...recipe?

    "Um, I guessed it." He smiles shyly. "This past Valentine's Day, for my wife, I just guessed it. Usually, every holiday or on birthdays, we get an ice cream cake from Baskin-Robbins." But then he figured, Why spend all that money at Baskin-Robbins? (Things are a little tight this year, what with the $5 million he lost from getting suspended for the season.) "So I just tried to make it. And everybody said they liked it. They asked me to make it again, so I said okay." He giggles. "I hope you like it."

    click for the full article >

  2. #2
    ImCrazyB
    Guest

    Default Re: GQ article on Artest

    Pretty good article.

    I really don't think Ron has as bad of an anger problem as everyone makes him out to have.

  3. #3
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,709

    Default Re: GQ article on Artest

    He is very unique, no one can argue that


    he wants to play 20 seasons.

  4. #4
    Fear my small avatar Gyron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    6,366

    Default Re: GQ article on Artest

    I'm not sure what to think of that article other than I think the guy still has a screw loose. Not saying he isn't a changed man, but there's still something rattling around up there.

    And I'm one of his supporters....

  5. #5
    Member Jaydawg2270's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    PA
    Age
    23
    Posts
    1,487

    Default Re: GQ article on Artest

    "How weird is this guy"

  6. #6
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: GQ article on Artest

    When he's alone again, I ask him if he still wants out.

    "Oh, no," he says. "My goodness. That was a tough time, but I have some good family support, and they helped me get through it. Which was definitely needed at the time." He says he intends to play in the NBA for at least twenty seasons. He wants to win a championship, at least one. There is nothing he loves more than basketball.

    And that retirement thing?

    He's over that.
    ----

    That's good to know.

    I really do like Ron as a person, he seems really down to earth.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  7. #7
    canyoufeelit
    Guest

    Default Re: GQ article on Artest

    This article is from around the all-star break. Pretty upsetting though to me at least because it shows he hasn't changed completely yet

  8. #8
    Member TheHotShot31's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    437

    Default Re: GQ article on Artest

    "Daddy," says Sade. "Stop being so crazy."

    Lmao

  9. #9
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: GQ article on Artest

    Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Then he sits back on the stool and says there's one thing he should have made clear. "When they said I wanted to retire to do a rap album? That's not true." He is referring to the comment he made at the beginning of this season that infuriated the sports world. How dare Ron Artest, making $6 million a year to play a game, want to take time off to cut a frickin' rap album?

    So what part wasn't true?

    "Honestly? At that time, I wanted to get out. At the time. There was a lot of stress."

    He explains how his grandmother had just died, and when he saw all his family at the funeral he started to wonder what was important to him. Things hit home. "It was pretty bad. So I just—I was really ready to move out of this whole lifestyle, just go home and maybe get a little apartment and just have a different lifestyle."
    This was a good bit... pretty much exactly what we all said. He's pretty sketchy on what the "lot of stress" is from, but most of us assumed it was his relationship w/ JO, right?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  10. #10
    Banned Jermaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Your baby moms house
    Age
    25
    Posts
    11,717

    Default Re: GQ article on Artest

    Great article, thanks for posting this.

  11. #11
    Banned Jermaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Your baby moms house
    Age
    25
    Posts
    11,717

    Default Re: GQ article on Artest

    Its going to be in the may issue of the magazine

  12. #12
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583
    Mood

    Default Re: GQ article on Artest

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Artest
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "If someone punches me, I'm gonna punch him. Or somebody throws something at me, I'm gonna punch him. So I wouldn't have did...[long pause]...anything different. Because I didn't hurt nobody
    *sigh* Well, that just about kills any hope I had of him learning anything.

  13. #13
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583
    Mood

    Default Re: GQ article on Artest

    What can I say? I like the guy as a person, and I don't think he knows what he's doing, most of the time. There's some kind of... almost innocence about him. It's like he has this ignorance about how parts of this world work.

  14. #14
    Banned Jermaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Your baby moms house
    Age
    25
    Posts
    11,717

    Default Re: GQ article on Artest

    Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It is coming out?

    I thought this was from a past one......
    I think its this one that is coming out, its say May 2005 in their archive

  15. #15
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: GQ article on Artest

    Why the long wait, then? I mean, they didn't update it at all. The information is current as of the All-Star Break.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  16. #16
    Banned Jermaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Your baby moms house
    Age
    25
    Posts
    11,717

    Default Re: GQ article on Artest

    Hicks to the part you quoted, I cant belive he would say that after everything that happend.

  17. #17
    Member indytoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,503

    Default Re: GQ article on Artest

    Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hicks to the part you quoted, I cant belive he would say that after everything that happend.
    Ron says a lot of things that are hard to believe. He's just...well, he's crazy.

    IndyToad
    Has no insight

  18. #18
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,709

    Default Re: GQ article on Artest

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This was a good bit... pretty much exactly what we all said. He's pretty sketchy on what the "lot of stress" is from, but most of us assumed it was his relationship w/ JO, right?


    "When they said I wanted to retire to do a rap album? That's not true." He is referring to the comment he made at the beginning of this season that infuriated the sports world. How dare Ron Artest, making $6 million a year to play a game, want to take time off to cut a frickin' rap album?

    So what part wasn't true?

    "Honestly? At that time, I wanted to get out. At the time. There was a lot of stress."

    He explains how his grandmother had just died, and when he saw all his family at the funeral he started to wonder what was important to him. Things hit home. "It was pretty bad. So I just—I was really ready to move out of this whole lifestyle, just go home and maybe get a little apartment and just have a different lifestyle." He thought maybe he could get a real job. That's why, he says, he applied for that job at Circuit City.


    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This was a good bit... pretty much exactly what we all said. He's pretty sketchy on what the "lot of stress" is from, but most of us assumed it was his relationship w/ JO, right?

    I don't think his relationship with J.O is any factor in his stress, knowing Artest he could could not care any less about his relationship with J.O.

    Ron explains it very well, his grandmother died, he was going through a hard time with that.

    It is perfectly normal to "want to get away from it all" There are days I just want to get away from it all, get a different type of job, move someplace ......seems like a perfectly normal type of thing

  19. #19
    Banned PacerMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,132

    Thumbs down Re: GQ article on Artest

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "When they said I wanted to retire to do a rap album? That's not true." He is referring to the comment he made at the beginning of this season that infuriated the sports world. How dare Ron Artest, making $6 million a year to play a game, want to take time off to cut a frickin' rap album?

    So what part wasn't true?

    "Honestly? At that time, I wanted to get out. At the time. There was a lot of stress."

    He explains how his grandmother had just died, and when he saw all his family at the funeral he started to wonder what was important to him. Things hit home. "It was pretty bad. So I just—I was really ready to move out of this whole lifestyle, just go home and maybe get a little apartment and just have a different lifestyle." He thought maybe he could get a real job. That's why, he says, he applied for that job at Circuit City.





    I don't think his relationship with J.O is any factor in his stress, knowing Artest he could could not care any less about his relationship with J.O.

    Ron explains it very well, his grandmother died, he was going through a hard time with that.

    It is perfectly normal to "want to get away from it all" There are days I just want to get away from it all, get a different type of job, move someplace ......seems like a perfectly normal type of thing
    Sorry, not so perfectly normal when you MAKE SEVEN MILLION DOLLARS A YEAR PLAYING A KIDS GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  20. #20
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583
    Mood

    Default Re: GQ article on Artest

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It is perfectly normal to "want to get away from it all" There are days I just want to get away from it all, get a different type of job, move someplace ......seems like a perfectly normal type of thing
    It's normal to think about it. It's normal to talk about it to your friend or family. It's NOT normal to go up to your boss and say because of that feeling, you plan to quit your job. And in this case, it's a job where at least 10 other people were DIRECTLY counting on you so they get the most out of there own jobs.

  21. #21
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,709

    Default Re: GQ article on Artest

    Quote Originally Posted by PacerMan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sorry, not so perfectly normal when you MAKE SEVEN MILLION DOLLARS A YEAR PLAYING A KIDS GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sorry, but I really disagree. Did you read the article. His life is hectic, he needs a vacation from it.

    I guarantee you every NBA player from time to time fantasizes about having a different life. It is human nature to do day dream about that thing.

  22. #22
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,709

    Default Re: GQ article on Artest

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's normal to think about it. It's normal to talk about it to your friend or family. It's NOT normal to go up to your boss and say because of that feeling, you plan to quit your job. And in this case, it's a job where at least 10 other people were DIRECTLY counting on you so they get the most out of there own jobs.


    But did he quit his job. NO.

  23. #23
    Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Tucson AZ
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,051
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: GQ article on Artest

    Quote Originally Posted by PacerMan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sorry, not so perfectly normal when you MAKE SEVEN MILLION DOLLARS A YEAR PLAYING A KIDS GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The dollar amount doesn't matter. The guy is HUMAN. He mourns for the loss of family members just like we all do.

    He is perfectly legit for leaving the team for this reason as long as he doesn't get paid for it. He's not strapped 100% to his duty for the Pacers. He could leave at any time; look at what Ricky Williams did.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

    ----------------- Reggie Miller

  24. #24
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583
    Mood

    Default Re: GQ article on Artest

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But did he quit his job. NO.
    Because his boss had to suspend him and talk him out of doing it. Nothing makes it OK to begin with.

  25. #25
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,709

    Default Re: GQ article on Artest

    Let me ask you this when you have a family member die do you get a few days away from work. I sure do.

    Pacers should have given him a few days away, not fined him or suspended him and nothing would have happended.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •