Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Artest Activated will start tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tim

Default Re: Artest Activated will start tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHY?
    WHY?
    WHY?
    WHY?
    WHY?
    WHY?
    WHY?
    WHY?
    WHY?

The Pacers are a good road team, so what if we don't have home court, screw our regular season record it mean nothing if we are injured.

We don't need Ron right now, and if he is holding a gun to his head saying play me or I'll shoot then rest JO or Al.

There is no reason for this, none. We already know we can win games without Ron or AL or JO playing. Why the risk???

maybe he really is healed
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

PoultryPops

Isn't it just uncanny how Ron Artest and Derrick McKey are alike?

Sports Logo

You know as shocked as I was to see that he was activated I am just as shocked that UB has not been in here to comment on Ronnie playing tonight.

There's just got to be more to this story than we currently know...

So let's speculate, shall we?

We know that Ron started practicing his shooting (one-handed) almost immediately after the surgery.

We also know that he's been practicing with the team, although it's not known to what degree.

We know that AL has been strugging a bit as the starting 3 in Ron's absence (with the exception of the second half against Philly the other night).

We know that the team has been winning games since he left, but not impressively (I seem to remember some "doom and gloom" posts on here very recently... ed: ).

And we know that Ron has been cleared by the doctors, including, apparently, the surgeon that performed the operation.

My guess is that Ron will get very limited minutes tonight. His return is probably largely designed to give an emotional boost to his teammates. I mean, if Ron's actually already PLAYING again, won't his teammates have to look at that determination and respond to it?

Let's remember that Ron is a team captain now.

I's like to hear some of your thoughts on how Ron's return will affect the team's play in the short term.

I think its great. With the way the Pacers have played without Ron, they can afford to bring him back slowly. Ron Artest continues to amaze me, what a turn around season for him!!
    "I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post."

--Jack Nicholson as Colonel Nathan Jessup in A Few Good Men

odd...this hasnt been reported on ESPN yet...
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

odd...this hasnt been reported on ESPN yet...
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=ind

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We know that Ron started practicing his shooting (one-handed) almost immediately after the surgery.

We also know that he's been practicing with the team, although it's not known to what degree.

We know that AL has been strugging a bit as the starting 3 in Ron's absence (with the exception of the second half against Philly the other night).

We know that the team has been winning games since he left, but not impressively (I seem to remember some "doom and gloom" posts on here very recently... ed: ).

And we know that Ron has been cleared by the doctors, including, apparently, the surgeon that performed the operation.

My guess is that Ron will get very limited minutes tonight. His return is probably largely designed to give an emotional boost to his teammates. I mean, if Ron's actually already PLAYING again, won't his teammates have to look at that determination and respond to it?

I's like to hear some of your thoughts on how Ron's return will affect the team's play in the short term.
    Okay, I'll speculate: I expect Ron to come out and play tenative tonight. Even though he's been cleared to play, he's obviously not healed and he's probably got Rick, Donnie, Larry, JO, etc. whispering in his ear "don't get hurt." Or he'll be wearing a contraption so thick and debilitating that I won't be allowed to ever call Pollard "Oven Mitts" again.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Okay, I'll speculate: I expect Ron to come out and play tenative tonight. Even though he's been cleared to play, he's obviously not healed and he's probably got Rick, Donnie, Larry, JO, etc. whispering in his ear "don't get hurt." Or he'll be wearing a contraption so thick and debilitating that I won't be allowed to ever call Pollard "Oven Mitts" again.
    Fair enough... but do you think Ron just being on the floor will give his teammates a boost and motivate them? I guess that's what I was looking for...

Ron was forcing a lot offensively before the surgery. I fear he will do this again trying to "prove" he is good to go.
    Even if he does, I'll GLADY welcome back his defensive presence.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Fair enough... but do you think Ron just being on the floor will give his teammates a boost and motivate them? I guess that's what I was looking for...
    I believe that would happen regardless of what date he returned to the games. But I believe that the grand pecking order that you're hinting at is still based on JO's rock steady leadership. Although Ron's a captain now, I think all the other players still feed primarily off JO's leadership, but that JO also feeds off Ron's focus as well. This, in turn, will cause a boost for everyone else. Just my .
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Well uhh no. I wont say it, NO I WONt!

ok, one time: told yaso

But seriously.

Chances that the problem will re-occur are the same 4 weeks from now as they are now, only difference being, now it is protected then it wll not be.

The doctor will NOT sign a release for him to play no matter even if he bribed her, she is responsible which means that if more permanent damage or a re-occurance of the damage takes place, she can be held to that with all monetary results from that. (Pacers can sue her blind).

Will Ron play as Ron, no idea, we will see, however.....

This means one BIG thing, our rotations will be back to "normal" again.

JB will get most likely a wee bit more minutes for Ron, JO can play a few minutes less as was hoped (and thought of by the staff) but foremost our rotations!

We all saw it did not work "fine" with Al as a starter, not only the starting 5 had problems, also the bench had their share of "getting in the groove" which is something we do not want with the season winding down, we want tighter patterns, we want 110% insurance that players will play helpdefense and be where they are "normally" in a set play.

Those things will put the quiet back in the team, the knowledge of their strenght by the re-assurance of people in their spot.

Eon's drive, persistence and moral will be an even bigger boost for the team as kerosene said, I agree, he will lift them the last few inches, give them their next "wind" and if anything, those are the important things.

And it helps the offense, whether Ron takes the shot or not, he does demand a lot of attention when on the floor, leaving room for Al and JO,
    wise or not, considering the value of the investment that Ron is, and more even will be, I have all faith in the P's knowing what they are doing in this case.

And yes, some people heal a lot faster then others, metabolism is a strange thing, all thiings considered, I just hope I can stay awake long enough because it is ONE WEIRD ARSE LATE HOUR to play a game of BB, they start at f'ng 3 AM!

Dimwits!

So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Hopefully the Dr isn't succumbing to pressure and clearing Artest.

Which doctor? A player typically sees a personal doctor as well as team doctors.
    I would assume the primary Dr would have the biggest say in this. Not that the team physicians wouldn't overrule this Dr but I have to believe they'd give that Dr's opinion plenty of weight.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Looks like I'm one of the few (if any) that aren't surprised by this. I always felt he'd come back asap, and when I saw tape of him shooting last week, I knew it was a matter of days, not weeks.

I'm not terribly worried about him reinjuring it, either, with the padding and all. My only concern is how it'll affect his shooting. I'd limit his minutes for a while, but he's a tough sob, so I think it'll be fine. In fact, with him back, I'd seriously look at sitting JO for a few games. Sounds like he needs it, and Al plays better filling in for him anyway.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

I'm not suprised at all that's he's back early, but this early? WOW. It's impossible not to wonder if it's too soon, but I have to believe that the doctors, coaches, Bird/Walsh, etc would not sign off on this if it wasn't legit.

Here are my first comments on this topic after a long rough day at work, did not hear about Ronnie coming back tonight until around 7:00 tonight.

I find a lot of the comments in this thread very facinating. Some of you have made the point that Ronnie should wait a few more weeks, I don't see how it is more likely to be re-injured now as opposed to 4 weeks from now.

I'm little surprised that Artest is coming, but nothing Ronnie does shocks me. He is superman