Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rex Chapman is horrible.

Default Re: Rex Chapman is horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not sure you can fault Rex 100%.

Why wasn't the producer in his headset correcting him? It was obvious that even the producer didn't know JJ's name.

I was also wondering about this. I figured they would slip him a note, or something.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

I watched the local feed, so I did not hear Rex. But I admit I thought Rex did a decent job when I heard him last post season do a few games. Yes he makes a lot of mistakes, but at least he says more than the obvious. I watched the local feed, but recorded TNT, so I'll let you know if I think Rex is as bad as some of you

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well, Rex was more useful than John Thompson, but that's not saying much.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well, Rex was more useful than John Thompson, but that's not saying much.
    Good to know you think one of the greatest coaches in history has absolutely nothing to offer....

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Actually . . .

I thought Rex Chapman was the only good commentator. Yeah, he got some names wrong. But he had several pretty funny cracks and some good insights.

John Thompson, on the other hand, ....he makes me want to turn the sound off.

Give me a guy who makes mistakes and maybe says some sumb things over a guy who is Mr. Obvious anyday of the week

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    Good to know you think one of the greatest coaches in history has absolutely nothing to offer....
    I'm not a John Thompson fan, period.

First off, he was a Celtic, and you know what I think about all things green.

Secondly, I was never a big fan of his at Georgetown and I thought he was embarassingly bad at the 1988 Olympics.

Thirdly, I don't have a clue why he's announcing NBA games. He still sounds like "an outsider" to me several years later. I can name dozens of better announcers that struggle to get good jobs because this guy's got a 'strong name' on the East Coast. And no, Dr. Jack is not one of them.

You could be individually good at coaching, playing and doing live color commentary but it is pretty rare that one person can be good at both or all three. Steve Kerr was a good player, not great, but is also a good commentator. John Thompson was a good coach but by no means is a good color guy. He probably has a lot of knowledge but I don't find him entrtaining, informative or insightful.

Doug Collins(Peter Vecsey thinsk Doug is too soft doing color) and Mike Fratello do a good job at both coaching and and color.

Like I mentioned in my earlier post, Rex Chapman was bad with names but he definitely had some good cracks.

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    Has anyone noticed Bill takes an anti-Pacer stance almost every time he speaks?
    I never bought into that premise. He had nice things to say about us ---as long as we were winning. Walton worked for the Pacers tutoring big men years ago for a summer or two. I'm sure there is nothing personal against us. He's like that with just about everybody.

Bill's a 'flavor of the month' type, in a non-conventional, non-conforming, pro-Southern California kind of way.

But as a UCLA guy, you'll *never* hear him badmouth Reggie.

Bill's a 'flavor of the month' type, in a non-conventional, non-conforming, pro-Southern California kind of way.

But as a UCLA guy, you'll *never* hear him badmouth Reggie.

He has 7 UCLA and 18 Celtic references before the end of the first quarter. It is almost like he tries to stir up things.

I'm not a John Thompson fan, period.

First off, he was a Celtic, and you know what I think about all things green.

Secondly, I was never a big fan of his at Georgetown and I thought he was embarassingly bad at the 1988 Olympics.

Thirdly, I don't have a clue why he's announcing NBA games. He still sounds like "an outsider" to me several years later. I can name dozens of better announcers that struggle to get good jobs because this guy's got a 'strong name' on the East Coast. And no, Dr. Jack is not one of them.
    Agreed, Thompson's overrated as a coach. Great recruiter, great talent-developer, but not a great team coach.

Of course, it doesn't help that I just watched the HBO special on the '85 Villanova team.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

......I wasnt aware a "trailer" could be standing directly under the basket.....
    Cutter, trailer, whatever. It was a semi fast break and the guy did follow Walker under the basket to recieve the pass 3 feet away. It wasn't like it came in the flow of a set offense. The Celtics had numbers, so the easy pass should have been made.

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen
    Cutter, trailer, whatever. It was a semi fast break and the guy did follow Walker under the basket to recieve the pass 3 feet away. It wasn't like it came in the flow of a set offense. The Celtics had numbers, so the easy pass should have been made.
    Yes, the point was that the pass was obvious and not spectacular in any way and all of a sudden Walker is Magic Johnson.

I only caught the game from the third quarter on but when I first turned it on I wondered alloud who the redneck was doing the commentating. I didn't notice anything great about Rex but I did notice a lot of "The Pacers just left Ricky Davis all alone. They need to pay more attention." Thinking back on it, I guess I do remember a few "Jackson needs to get himself back into the offense since they aren't going to him. They've got him isolated on the opposite side of the court while Reggie and J.O. play a two man game." All in all I suppose he was marginal. Over hyped the star players (as instructed I assume), made a fair amount of worthless and useless comments of which I would have rather have heard the crowd instead, pointed out a couple things or made criticisms or constructive comments that added to the experience.

I don't mind when the commentator is enjoying watching the game, but I don't like when they act like fans with a microphone.

How do you guys think Rick would have done commentating? He was about to get hired to do commentary by ABC I think before Isiah got fired.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Huxtable
    How do you guys think Rick would have done commentating? He was about to get hired to do commentary by ABC I think before Isiah got fired.
    He did color for Seattle during the season before he got the Detroit job. No idea if he was any good or not.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

He'd have been good.

He was an tv analyst for a team in the northwest for a season, if I remember correctly.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!