Thread: missed article ?

Default missed article ?

Pacers notebook
    Recovering Tinsley could play Boston
    Pacers' starting point guard has played 3 games since his Jan. 31 foot injury.

By Mark Montieth
    mark.montieth@indystar.com

BOSTON -- With a little luck and a couple of Indiana Pacers victories, Jamaal Tinsley could play in the team's first-round playoff series with Boston.

Tinsley said before Saturday's Game 1 at the FleetCenter that he hopes to play before the series ends.

"I'm going to try to make it back this series," Tinsley said. "I just don't know when. I'm trying to get my wind back now."

Tinsley said he has been working out on a treadmill the past four days to improve his conditioning. He still feels pain in his left foot, however.

"Some days it feels better than others," he said.

The Pacers' starting point guard has played in three games since Jan. 31, when he injured his foot in Philadelphia. He was activated for the playoffs in case he's able to play.

Hairy situation

Once upon a time, all the Pacers shaved their heads for the playoffs. Now it's just a rookie thing.

David Harrison and John Edwards were sporting mohawks Saturday, with the sides of their heads shaved and a wide strip of hair on top.

Who's idea was that?

"The man, the myth, the legend," Harrison said, nodding toward Reggie Miller.

Actually, Miller ordered the rookies to shave their heads. Harrison, however, tweaked the idea to his own liking and Edwards went along.

"I'm 22 years old and I've never had a mohawk," he said. "Why not now?"

Jonathan Bender and Tinsley did the honors on Harrison, and Bender handled Edwards' cut.

"If it helps us win, it's worth it," Edwards said.

The veterans were pleased.

"Our rookies are crazy," Dale Davis said, laughing. "You can see that by looking at their haircuts. I would have cut it all off."

Johnson's 1st playoff start

Anthony Johnson had played in his fair share of playoff games, but he didn't realize Saturday was a first for him.

Saturday's game marked his 62nd career playoff game, but his first start.

"I've played behind some good guys early in my career," said Johnson, who started in place of Tinsley at point guard. "The one thing about the playoffs is each team knows your main sets. Everyone knows what you're going to do. The biggest thing is trying to get points in transition when you can. This time of year guys have to knock down the shots when they have them."

The Pacers can't match the Celtics' offensive firepower, but they still want to push the tempo. It will be Johnson's job to decide when there are opportunities worth taking.

"The tempo of the series is a critical factor," Pacers coach Rick Carlisle said. "A.J. has had a good pulse on it the last two months. We have to run, but we can't run crazy."

Costly defeat

Harrison was a high school freshman in 1998 when the Pacers played Chicago in the conference finals. But he had a serious rooting interest in the team that would draft him six years later.

Harrison bet a friend $40 that the Pacers would win Game 7 in Chicago. They nearly did, taking a double-figure lead in the first half before fading late and losing 88-83.

"I was feeling good at halftime, then worse came to worst," Harrison said. "Forty dollars then was like $10,000 now. It hurt."
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Default Re: missed article ?

I saw it yesterday. I don't know why it wasn't brought up, but for me, I need to know this series is going to see a game 6 or 7 before I start thinking about Tinsley.

with AJ's play in game 1, nothing would surprise me less then seeing Mel play minutes tonight.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Sports Logo

I saw it but did not want to post it out of fear it would not happen.

Please please please let this happen.