Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Biggest Loser 2016

Mood

Default Re: Biggest Loser 2016

Well guys, no one has been able to figure out the reason for my lung problems yet. It will have been six months since I have been ill on August 23rd, ironically my birthday. I recently did another pulmonary function test and now my total lung functioning capacity is down to 55% of normal lungs and the DLCO (the way your lungs get rid of carbon monoxide according to my mom the nurse) is down to 52% of normal lungs. Good news is that I am down to 331.2 pounds. Bad news is that I cannot start this school semester because of my health. My Voc Rehab counselor at the VA has recommended that I apply for Social Security Disability since I cannot work or go to school, but she cannot write me a letter yet saying I am unemployable to the VA so I can get increased benefits until January. A lot of stress here, but still losing slowly. Between my health, my daughter's health and an impending divorce it is rough. Hopefully they can figure out what is wrong soon.

Mood

Update: My long fight with the VA hospital in Marion, IN is over in regards to them refusing to do an MRI on my knee because it is too expensive. They lost and it will happen next week. Will see the lap band doctor Friday and hope to be in the 320's dressed.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jeffg-body For This Useful Post:

Dab

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Haven't weighed myself in a month, I've been off the diet for almost a month, but wasn't going crazy or anything. Still, I was pretty nervous when I weighed myself yesterday, have been back on the diet for almost a week now, was relieved when I checked in at 242. That's 10 more than my low of 232 but that was somewhat of an anomaly, I knew I was going to rebound back up from that. I'm hoping that I've been off the diet long enough that I can get that initial burst of new diet weight loss and quickly get back down below 240.

Mood

Good Deal Dab,

I weighed in today at the doctor's office at 324.6. They told me to start eating more. On a weird note, my VA pulmonologist called me today and explained that she doesn't know what is going on with my lungs and nothing makes sense with my tests. She cancelled my Monday appointment and we did a list of questions regarding Gulf War Illness and of the eight categories I was positive for seven. I had to have five at least. She asked me if I wanted to go to a research facility in New Jersey and go through testing and the opportunity to try some expiremental things as well while I am out there. It will be 5-6 days and my plane ticket, taxi, hotel room and food will be covered by the VA. She did the referral at 1pm. At 2pm the research facility called me to arrange everything. I was driving so they will call me Monday at 11am to make all of the arrangements. I have never seen the government work nearly this fast. I told them that was quick and she told me they do things that way because they don't like to see people dying for no reason. I am so excited, nervous and scared at the same time. I will let you know what they say Monday.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Weighing in at 205 today, seems to be flying off much more now...got 200 coming real soon
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cactus Jax For This Useful Post:

Dab

Sports Logo

I'm pretty cool physically, weight wise anyway, but just wanted to say I think it's pretty cool how you guys root for one another. no saccharin, really is cool stuff fellas.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Dab

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm pretty cool physically, weight wise anyway, but just wanted to say I think it's pretty cool how you guys root for one another. no saccharin, really is cool stuff fellas.
    Always great to have motivation and encouragement. It's not easy to lose weight and some times you really struggle, I'll always root for others to succeed.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cactus Jax For This Useful Post:

Dab

Mood

Checked in at 243 this morning, basically the same as a month and a half ago. Maintaining a stable weight is definitely better than gaining weight, and I guess a tiny little bit of that is muscle gain as I have continued my workouts, so there's that, but I'm really ready to head south again.

Mood

Man oh man, I have to say, the discovery I've made in the last few months are compression sleeves. I was starting to veer dangerously close to restless leg syndrome, especially the nights after a long bicycle ride - I would often wake up with jittery legs, cramping, and most dreaded, the toe cramping, which really freaks me out. I know how to massage my legs to get them back to normal but there's not a lot to work with when it's toes.

Anyway, I happened to buy a pair of graduated compression calf sleeves (Amazon Deal o' the Day) and it's a whole new world. If I sleep with those on, I sleep like a baby - no waking up to leg cramps, etc. These things are great, improve blood flow to the legs and feet (perfect for an old geezer like me) and in general, whenever I have them, my legs feel great.

Mood

Sorry it has been so long guys, lots and lots of doctor appointments. Well, New Jersey VA didn't want to see me. The gave some recommendations but no reason why. So I did all of the recommendations and they called my therapist Friday and said that the reason why they do not want to ship me out there was that they do not think my respiratory health is good enough to fly. I went to the lap band doctor in the end of August I found out my scale was broken and was weighing my really light. I weighed 348.9 on 8/29. I was so excited thinking I was 324. So a week later I was 344.6 at the VA, then 330.9 9/28 at my family doctor, and yesterday 324.0 at my social security exam. I see my lap band doctor Thursday and hope to see the surprised expression on their faces when I weigh in. I am working hard on portion sizes, protein intake and snack choices especially since I cannot exercise at this point. Since my last time I applied for social security disability and two claims for illnesses related to gulf war exposure with the VA and possibly a third depending on what my neuropsychological evaluation results are when I get them Wednesday. Another typical week I have appointments every day except Friday. I am just glad weight is coming off even though trying to exercise is a moot point. I still have a goal of sub 300 by New Year's Day.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jeffg-body For This Useful Post:

Dab

Mood

Well, I gained some weight back, I think fluid retention. Up to 338.2 but hopefully back down soon now taking the third diuretic again. My lungs are actually a bit worse than last time I posted. I got the official word that I cannot work because of my health from my Voc Rehab counselor at the VA stated I am unemployable so she is writing me a letter stating that and she is closing my case out. She said take the letter to my social security office and give it to them and it will pretty much help my case greatly. Same with the VA to bump me up to 100% too. It sucks to come to the realization that you are no longer healthy enough to work or even go to school. I was 7 classes short of my degree.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Checking in at 196 pounds Been a long time coming, now I've got to continue the loss going.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Cactus Jax For This Useful Post:

Mood

Good job there Cactus Jax. I feel like I am stuck in the 330's regardless of what I do. Hopefully once this divorce is final I can focus and get it going again.

Sports Logo

I've set myself a goal of hitting 180 by Christmas and then 170 by end of March. These aren't aggressive goals, but I feel having a goal is something that will drive me.

Also, I have to get 10K steps on Sat and Sun (so 20K steps total). That's essentially 5 miles. Been trying to bike about 30miles on Sat and then run/walk 5 miles on Sun. Been hitting my targets the past 3 weeks. I'm also trying to lift some weights and run during the week too. I have a buddy I work with and we work out a few times a week in the gym in our building. I'm definitely lucky that there is a gym in our building, so I'm trying to take advantage of it.

I've gone from 200lbs down to 190 in the past month. The diet is still a work in progress, I'm having the most trouble giving up fatty foods and sweets, but I'm trying.

I highly recommend setting some goals and doing the step counts. I'm finding it very helpful and motivating, and I'm rarely motivated by anything. Just have to make bigger strides in my diet.
    First time in a long time, I've been happy with the team that was constructed, and now they struggle. I blame the coach.

The evolution continues neosmndrew's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

i love this thread. helped motivate me from getting from 230 last may (from a high of 280+) to 170 in feburary of this year and being able to stick at around that weight and feeling/looking much more comfortable and in shape. keep it up gents.

Carmel HS Class of 2011

22. The Following User Says Thank You to neosmndrew For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Checking in at around 190

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Cactus Jax For This Useful Post: