Thread: Dallas & the Expansion Draft

Default Dallas & the Expansion Draft

For those just seeing one of these, I'm going team by team thru the entire league & taking a closer look at each teams roster, free agent list & possible protected list for the expansion draft coming up in June.

The info I'm using comes from the following sites.

From NBA.com, a story on the Bobcats draft.
    http://www.nba.com/bobcats/news/expansion_draft.html

This paragraph has the basic info.

Charlotte will receive lists from each of the 27 teams not competing in the NBA Finals 10 days prior to the scheduled Expansion Draft (June 12) and those from the competing teams in the Finals within two days of the conclusion of the Finals. Team lists will designate a maximum of eight protected players for that teamís players under contract or restricted free agents for the 2004-05 NBA season. The unprotected players are eligible for selection by the Bobcats, who will draft a minimum of 14 players from NBA rosters.

Free agent info from REAL GM.
    http://www.realgm.com/src_freeagents.php?year=2004

Salary info from Hoops Hype.
    http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/dallas.htm

Here is the roster for the Dallas Mavericks

Antoine Walker
    Michael Finley
    Dirk Nowitzki
    Antawn Jamison
    Tariq Abdul-Wahad
    Steve Nash
    Danny Fortson
    Shawn Bradley
    Eduardo Najera
    Tony Delk
    Travis Best
    Josh Howard
    Scott Williams
    Jon Stefansson
    Marquis Daniels

Of the 15 players on the Dallas roster, 3 fall into the free agent catagory. Jon Stefansson is listed on REAL GM as being signed thru the 07-08 season, that is a big surprise to me. The Mav's can protect 8 of the 12 on their payroll for next season.

I've heard different reports on Nash. Hoops Hype list him as having a "player option" for next season & REAL GM kindda backs that up when they don't name him amongst the Mav's free agents. I have read where some teams (Phoenix for one) will be trying to sign him this summer. As of now I will not consider him a free agent.

Under contract for 2004-2005

Antoine Walker ------- $14,625,000
    Michael Finley --------- $14,609,375
    Dirk Nowitzki ---------- $12,584,688
    Antawn Jamison ------ $12,584,688
    Tariq Abdul-Wahad --- $ 6,750,000
    Steve Nash ------------- $ 5,750,000
    Danny Fortson --------- $ 5,922,078
    Shawn Bradley --------- $ 4,000,000
    Eduardo Najera -------- $ 3,809,525
    Tony Delk ---------------- $ 3,150,000
    Josh Howard -------------- $ 823,640
    Jon Stefansson ----------- Not Listed

Free agents

Travis Best
    Scott Williams
    Marquis Daniels

This is almost too easy.

Walker, Finley, Nowitzki, Jamison, Nash, Najera & Howard are the 7 that make it without question.

I think it would be safe to say that Tariq Abdul-Wahad & Jon Stefansson won't make the list.

The borderline guys would be Danny Fortson, Shawn Bradley & Tony Delk.

With a payroll next season of more than $84M & Mark Cuban as the owner, money will not be an over riding factor in who gets protected & who doesn't.

I think the skills that Delk brings to the team can more easily be covered by other players so I would make him the third of the four available to the Bobcats.

Fortson or Bradley?

One is protected, one is not.

I'll give that last spot to Bradley just because at 7-6 he can change the game more than Fortson can. Bradley might cause some team to make a deal with the BobCats to get him. I don't see that happening with Fortson.

So the guys that Dallas hangs out there for the taking are.....

Tariq Abdul-Wahad
    Jon Stefansson
    Tony Delk
    Danny Fortson

Tony Delk is an easy choice for the Bobcats.

I know he makes a little more than they would like to spend but he has just two years remaining on his deal ($3,150,000 & $3,375,000).

Like the Kevin Ollie pick up from Cleveland he is a vet that can help tutor the kids that Charlotte will be bringing in.

The expansion draft to date.

Atlanta --------- No Pick
    Boston --------- C Kedrick Perkins
    Chicago -------- No Pick
    Cleveland ------ G Kevin Ollie
    Dallas ---------- G Tony Delk

Next up the Denver Nuggets

Links to previous threads in this series.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=996
    http://www.pacersdigest.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1038
    http://www.pacersdigest.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1083
    http://www.pacersdigest.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1122

Default Re: Dallas & the Expansion Draft

Btown

If you come across a link to that please let me know.

If Nash is taken out of the protected list, Fortson would be my replacement for him.

That would still leave Delk available for the Bobcats, so in the long run the story ends the same.

However, I would like the info to be as accurate as possible.

tdeltdot

I'm guessing that finances are going to be a major factor in terms of who they leave off. Dallas is going to have to drop some serious coin in order to resign Nash, which will mean they'll have 5 guys making 10-15 million next year (and 4 of them will be on the books for four additional years each).

Do you think its possible they leave off Jamison? He seems pretty close to untradeable at this point, considering the size of his contract. Although, if they leave him unprotected and the BCats don't take him, they'll have one alienated 6th man...

What is the BCats salary cap again? 27 million?

tdeltdot

Either way, Dallas is in good shape.

They're already stuck with almost $72 million worth of salary for 2006/2007, PLUS Nash!

That's a little bloated, no? Regardless of how wealthy Cuban is...

duaneok66

They're already stuck with almost $72 million worth of salary for 2006/2007, PLUS Nash!

the guy is a billionaire several times over . . . I don't think he is sweating it, actually . . .

duaneok66

For those just seeing one of these, I'm going team by team thru the entire league & taking a closer look at each teams roster, free agent list & possible protected list for the expansion draft coming up in June.

The info I'm using comes from the following sites.

From NBA.com, a story on the Bobcats draft.
    http://www.nba.com/bobcats/news/expansion_draft.html

This paragraph has the basic info.

Charlotte will receive lists from each of the 27 teams not competing in the NBA Finals 10 days prior to the scheduled Expansion Draft (June 12) and those from the competing teams in the Finals within two days of the conclusion of the Finals. Team lists will designate a maximum of eight protected players for that teamís players under contract or restricted free agents for the 2004-05 NBA season. The unprotected players are eligible for selection by the Bobcats, who will draft a minimum of 14 players from NBA rosters.

Free agent info from REAL GM.
    http://www.realgm.com/src_freeagents.php?year=2004

Salary info from Hoops Hype.

Here is the roster for the Dallas Mavericks

Antoine Walker
    Michael Finley
    Dirk Nowitzki
    Antawn Jamison
    Tariq Abdul-Wahad
    Steve Nash
    Danny Fortson
    Shawn Bradley
    Eduardo Najera
    Tony Delk
    Travis Best
    Josh Howard
    Scott Williams
    Jon Stefansson
    Marquis Daniels

Of the 15 players on the Dallas roster, 3 fall into the free agent catagory. Jon Stefansson is listed on REAL GM as being signed thru the 07-08 season, that is a big surprise to me. The Mav's can protect 8 of the 12 on their payroll for next season.

I've heard different reports on Nash. Hoops Hype list him as having a "player option" for next season & REAL GM kindda backs that up when they don't name him amongst the Mav's free agents. I have read where some teams (Phoenix for one) will be trying to sign him this summer. As of now I will not consider him a free agent.

Under contract for 2004-2005

Antoine Walker ------- $14,625,000
    Michael Finley --------- $14,609,375
    Dirk Nowitzki ---------- $12,584,688
    Antawn Jamison ------ $12,584,688
    Tariq Abdul-Wahad --- $ 6,750,000
    Steve Nash ------------- $ 5,750,000
    Danny Fortson --------- $ 5,922,078
    Shawn Bradley --------- $ 4,000,000
    Eduardo Najera -------- $ 3,809,525
    Tony Delk ---------------- $ 3,150,000
    Josh Howard -------------- $ 823,640
    Jon Stefansson ----------- Not Listed

Free agents

Travis Best
    Scott Williams
    Marquis Daniels

This is almost too easy.

Walker, Finley, Nowitzki, Jamison, Nash, Najera & Howard are the 7 that make it without question.

I think it would be safe to say that Tariq Abdul-Wahad & Jon Stefansson won't make the list.

The borderline guys would be Danny Fortson, Shawn Bradley & Tony Delk.

With a payroll next season of more than $84M & Mark Cuban as the owner, money will not be an over riding factor in who gets protected & who doesn't.

I think the skills that Delk brings to the team can more easily be covered by other players so I would make him the third of the four available to the Bobcats.

Fortson or Bradley?

One is protected, one is not.

I'll give that last spot to Bradley just because at 7-6 he can change the game more than Fortson can. Bradley might cause some team to make a deal with the BobCats to get him. I don't see that happening with Fortson.

So the guys that Dallas hangs out there for the taking are.....

Tariq Abdul-Wahad
    Jon Stefansson
    Tony Delk
    Danny Fortson

Tony Delk is an easy choice for the Bobcats.

I know he makes a little more than they would like to spend but he has just two years remaining on his deal ($3,150,000 & $3,375,000).

Like the Kevin Ollie pick up from Cleveland he is a vet that can help tutor the kids that Charlotte will be bringing in.

The expansion draft to date.

Atlanta --------- No Pick
    Boston --------- C Kedrick Perkins
    Chicago -------- No Pick
    Cleveland ------ G Kevin Ollie
    Dallas ---------- G Tony Delk

Next up the Denver Nuggets
    another excellent job . . .

I guess I missed it. Why do you think the Bobcats would pick up Delk over Fortson? I see Fortson as being the more valuable commodity, plus he's a big man, etc.

I think the skills that Delk brings to the team can more easily be covered by other players that the Bobcats could draft.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I guess I missed it. Why do you think the Bobcats would pick up Delk over Fortson? I see Fortson as being the more valuable commodity, plus he's a big man, etc.

I think the skills that Delk brings to the team can more easily be covered by other players that the Bobcats could draft.
    Fortson is nearly $6M per year, significantly cutting into what the Bobcats can spend next year.

On the other hand, Delk is a little over $3M.

Tony Delk makes all the sense in the world on this one as well.

Fortson will not be taken, if the Bobcats do any kind of homework on the guy at all, because he has been known to be a cancer in the lockerroom.

On a young expansion team they will not need that.

Delk is a bargain & could be a solid contributer to them.

Atlanta - no pick
    Boston - Jumaine Jones
    Chicago - Chris Jeffries
    Cleveland - Kedrick Brown
    Dallas - Tony Delk

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

fortson has been a disaster everywhere he played. he's not all that big either (6'8''). the only thing he does is get rebounds. plus, he is a thug - remember the suns rookie he shoved?

delk is the only logical choice, if bobcats have to pick one.

tdeltdot

Read what I posted. I said they're in good shape regarding the Nash situation.
    Agreed. I intentionally took the quote out of context to make an additional point about their status. Perhaps I should have made that clearer...

Delk makes a lot of sense here.

Atlanta - No Pick
    Boston - Kedrick Perkins
    Chicago - No Pick _or_ Robinson + Draft Pick
    Cleveland - No Pick
    Dallas - Tony Delk