Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Women.........

sweabs

Default Women.........

f
    Last edited by sweabs; 08-08-2010 at 05:45 PM.

Harmonica

Default Re: Women.........

I have no idea what you're talking about, but everyone should be fired at least once in their life. It's quite liberating.

sweabs

g

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have no idea what you're talking, but everyone should be fired at least once in their life. It's quite liberating.
    That's actually quite true.

And I'll vouch that getting fired from the city while you're in college makes for some fun stories later in life... especially for "truth or dare" type games.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

sweabs

f

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Just call everyone up and apologize.

The fact that there was no instructor for one class is not that big of a deal, unless these people paid a lot of money for your instruction. In that case, you might run into one or two that want a refund.

Also - 'fess up to the boss now, explaining the whole thing in detail. The most you should get in trouble for is not telling the boss (and the class) about the substitute beforehand.

You can smooth this out, but it will take accepting responsibility (because when the chips are down, this is YOUR responsibility, not anyone else's) with humility and grace and just a little bit (but not too much) of a sense of humor.

And next time, confirm your schedule well in advance.

sweabs

g

Quote Originally Posted by rcarey
    So you think I should call up the boss and let him know?

Because I had planned this well in advance - as soon as I heard about the final exam. I had let my boss know what employee I was contacting and he was okay with it all.

So you think I should be telling the boss and rat out my friend for not showing up?
    Oh - that's different, I assumed you swapped instructors without the boss' knowledge.

Apologize to the whole class but do it fast before it gets out of hand.

sweabs

f
    Last edited by sweabs; 08-08-2010 at 05:46 PM.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

So you think I should call up the boss and let him know?

Because I had planned this well in advance - as soon as I heard about the final exam. I had let my boss know what employee I was contacting and he was okay with it all.

So you think I should be telling the boss and rat out my friend for not showing up?
    Well, you're in a tough situation. But who would you rather be the first to tell your boss - you, her, or one of the paying customers.

If it were me, I'd do everything possible to make sure it wasn't the third choice.

Had you told the class in advance that they'd have a "sub"?
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

sweabs

f

sweabs

f

I'd definitely err on the side of caution here. You need to look out for yourself. What I would do is ask your friend to let the boss know what happened. That way that your friend knows where you stand, and it doesn't look as if you are stabbing her in the back. If she declines, then you have no other choice but to inform your boss yourself.

When in doubt, CYA (cover your arse)

And I'm not talking about the CYA that little Johnny has to do when he's around Michael Jackson!

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by PHC Fan
    I'd definitely err on the side of caution here. You need to look out for yourself. What I would do is ask your friend to let the boss know what happened. That way that your friend knows where you stand, and it doesn't look as if you are stabbing her in the back. If she declines, then you have no other choice but to inform your boss yourself.

When in doubt, CYA (cover your arse)
    Good advice. And I still don't have any idea what this whole thing is about.

You could've played dumb and acted like you didn't know your friend didn't show (since the boss had OK'ed your replacement).

You could've told your friend you what you were going to do. If anything was said by the boss you'd make her take the fall. That way there's no self incrimnination at work.

...As other's have said... this was your responsibility. It sucks when other people let you down. Your boss is well within his rights to aim any venom your way. You answer to your boss, your friend answers to you. You delegated your workload and somebody dropped the ball. But it was, afterall, your workload.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

sweabs

gf

Harmonica

I left a message for him.......still no word. Getting nervous...
    Like I said, everyone should get fired at least once in their life. That's when you realize how little power the man actually has over you.

Like I said, everyone should get fired at least once in their life. That's when you realize how little power the man actually has over you.
    The dude doesnt' want to get fired and is clearly worried. Even if you're just trying to be funny, I think you should maybe lay off with the "humor" for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt
    Women, can't live with 'em, can't throw em all off a cliff and celebrate not having any more arguements over the remote control...
    I thought it was "Women... can't live with 'em, can't chop up their bodies into tiny pieces and come up with an airtight alibi."

And for the record, rcarey, if nobody else is making a big deal about it then there's no reason for you to. Let the folks know what happened, but don't name your colleage to them. Apologize for the mixup and move forward. It doesn't sound like there's a lynch mob forming, so I wouldn't worry about it. If you feel like you need to talk to the boss about it, go for it. But if you already told him you wouldn't be there, don't worry about it unless he brings it up. I agree that you don't want to rat out your friend.

This isn't a "get fired over" offense. It's really not that big a deal, if you've consistently had integrity in your other dealings. Unless you've been missing a lot of classes, it's not a pattern of behavior.

Don't worry about it. Make sure the class knows you're sorry, but if nobody wants to make it a bigger issue then why should you?

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles
    The dude doesnt' want to get fired and is clearly worried. Even if you're just trying to be funny, I think you should maybe lay off with the "humor" for a while.
    Nope. It's served me well so far. And I think it's splendid advice because it's true. But was anyone talking to you? Maybe you should lay off trying to tell me what to do. Or put me on ignore. Whichever one is easier for you. ;-)

Nope. It's served me well so far. And I think it's splendid advice because it's true. But was anyone talking to you? Maybe you should lay off trying to tell me what to do. Or put me on ignore. Whichever one is easier for you. ;-)
    Whoa!

Dude, where did that come from?

Well, I over-reacted once to one of your posts, so I guess I made my bed with that, it's only fair for you to overreact to one of mine.

Keep this in mind:

1) I was a willing participant in the thread, so yes you were talking to everyone in the thread, including me. That's how message boards work.

2) Razzing a guy who is worried about losing his job is really low, but you still got a free pass the first time. You deserved to be called out on it the second time, and I was even polite about it without flaming you, just saying "lay off for a little while."

3) If you honestly thought it was none of my business to tell you how to conduct yourself here, how is it right for you to turn around and do the same to me? Nice double standard.

4) For the admins/record/hell of it: I admit I have a history of occasionally getting into it with other posters, but I also have a history of making things right in the end by making peace, apologizing when I've gone over the line, admitting when I'm wrong on a subject, and/or removing any offending posts so the board can move on.

Harmonica

2) Razzing a guy who is worried about losing his job is really low, but you still got a free pass the first time. You deserved to be called out on it the second time, and I was even polite about it without flaming you, just saying "lay off for a little while."
    I wasn't "razzing" him. I was giving him big picture advice. Jay seemed to agree when he said, That's actually quite true. I repeated it to add some levity to the situation because he seemed worried.

3) If you honestly thought it was none of my business to tell you how to conduct yourself here, how is it right for you to turn around and do the same to me? Nice double standard.

4) For the admins/record/hell of it: I admit I have a history of occasionally getting into it with other posters, but I also have a history of making things right in the end by making peace, apologizing when I've gone over the line, admitting when I'm wrong on a subject, and/or removing any offending posts so the board can move on.
    C'mon man, lighten up. It's a beautiful day outside.

C'mon man, lighten up. It's a beautiful day outside.
    That's good advise, and I'll take it.

Let's consider this water under the bridge.

Harmonica

That's good advise, and I'll take it.

Let's consider this water under the bridge.
    Of course.