Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: If You Could Live In Any State....Which Would It Be?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: If You Could Live In Any State....Which Would It Be?

I've been to San Francisco once and it is spectacular. By far the most beautiful urban area in the US with its architecture, hills, bay setting, cable cars, and fog. I loved the comfortable weather too. If I had an unlimited budget, it would be at the top of my list.

As far as modern urban areas that have ballooned in recent years, I really like the Dallas - Ft. Worth Metroplex. Downtown Dallas is surprisingly dull (Downtown Indy has far more going on), but the whole metro area is very nice and top of the line. I was impressed with the highway infrastructure which is adequately constructed to handle the heavy load.

One city that I've always thought is horribly overrated is Chicago. Don't get me wrong, it's a fun place to go to, but everything there can be found better in other places. Chicago is not the best in any sort of major category. New York is where you go if you want the best place for mass urbanity and the "center of the universe" feel. San Francisco is where you go for unparalleled urban beauty. LA is the entertainment leader. DC is the capital. Boston has the old colonial history. Miami is where you get the tropical glitzy beach atmosphere. All of the cities I just mentioned are the best in some sort of major category, but I honestly cannot think of one major area where Chicago is the best.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 01-15-2016 at 12:43 AM.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hawaii. California. ..Dallas. ..Atlanta. ..in Thar order

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've been to San Francisco once and it is spectacular. By far the most beautiful urban area in the US with its architecture, hills, bay setting, cable cars, and fog. I loved the comfortable weather too. If I had an unlimited budget, it would be at the top of my list.

As far as modern urban areas that have ballooned in recent years, I really like the Dallas - Ft. Worth Metroplex. Downtown Dallas is surprisingly dull (Downtown Indy has far more going on), but the whole metro area is very nice and top of the line. I was impressed with the highway infrastructure which is adequately constructed to handle the heavy load.

One city that I've always thought is horribly overrated is Chicago. Don't get me wrong, it's a fun place to go to, but everything there can be found better in other places. Chicago is not the best in any sort of major category. New York is where you go if you want the best place for mass urbanity and the "center of the universe" feel. San Francisco is where you go for unparalleled urban beauty. LA is the entertainment leader. DC is the capital. Boston has the old colonial history. Miami is where you get the tropical glitzy beach atmosphere. All of the cities I just mentioned are the best in some sort of major category, but I honestly cannot think of one major area where Chicago is the best.
    Charlotte has a gorgeous skyline. It's a small thing but after 5 years it's still really cool to look at driving off of I-77 no matter what time of day.

Atlanta has the "big city" feel that Charlotte doesn't, but uptown Charlotte definitely feels more upscale. Everything looks newer, brighter, cleaner by design. Also it's extremely accessible for a major American city. The light rail system is very convenient. Taking cost of living into account it's the best big city for your buck.

On the cheaper end, Detroit is rapidly getting younger and younger and it shows. If you know where to go there's are lots and lots of new establishments started by entrepreneurs with looking to capitalize on the cheap real estate to start up their own businesses. There are neat little clubs/microbreweries/restaurants popping up everywhere in places/buildings that used to be barren. Would I move back tomorrow? No, but for the first time in my life I look forward to going back home to visiting the city every summer. There's a uniqueness to it that you won't get elsewhere.

Detroit remains a crappy place to put down roots if you've got a family to care for, but if I were single and 20 again you wouldn't be able to drag me away. It's a fantastic place to be if you're young and just starting out.
    Last edited by Kstat; 01-15-2016 at 06:16 AM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Charlotte has a gorgeous skyline. It's a small thing but after 5 years it's still really cool to look at driving off of I-77 no matter what time of day.

Atlanta has the "big city" feel that Charlotte doesn't, but uptown Charlotte definitely feels more upscale. Everything looks newer, brighter, cleaner by design. Also it's extremely accessible for a major American city. The light rail system is very convenient. Taking cost of living into account it's the best big city for your buck.

On the cheaper end, Detroit is rapidly getting younger and younger and it shows. If you know where to go there's are lots and lots of new establishments started by entrepreneurs with looking to capitalize on the cheap real estate to start up their own businesses. There are neat little clubs/microbreweries/restaurants popping up everywhere in places/buildings that used to be barren. Would I move back tomorrow? No, but for the first time in my life I look forward to going back home to visiting the city every summer. There's a uniqueness to it that you won't get elsewhere.

Detroit remains a crappy place to put down roots if you've got a family to care for, but if I were single and 20 again you wouldn't be able to drag me away. It's a fantastic place to be if you're young and just starting out.
    Yes, Charlotte has a nice skyline in large part because of that massive Bank of America building with the cool top. Probably one of the better looking skyscrapers in the US. Charlotte has established itself as a nice place to do business and is helped by the massive airport.

You could make an argument that from a pure building perspective, Atlanta might have the third best skyline in the US behind New York and Chicago. Atlanta has a way bigger skyline than Los Angeles. Miami is up there too.

I've never been to Detroit, but I've always thought that it probably got too bad of a rap. I wouldn't mind seeing a Tigers game there in the summer.

I've only been to the DC area once, but it's a beautiful metro area. The drive from DC to Mt. Vernon is as pretty as it gets.

This season is for Travis ECKrueger's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I Pittsburgh has an awesome skyline. Some of it is just the setting, but there's some nice buildings too. PPG Place is my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishPacer View Post
    How do you find the humidity? Not sure I could handle somewhere that's too hot.
    I live in Phoenix, which is considered the desert so there is virtually no humidity, which is nice. People always talk about dry heat and how it isn't as bad, and while that's true to a certain extent, it's regularly 110-120 degrees here in the summer--even with no humidity that is really freaking hot. This has been a weird winter due to El Nino (supposedly), with a little more rain than usual, but next week it's kicking into the normal 70-75 degrees and sunny which is more typical of the winters here.

I've never been to Detroit, but I've always thought that it probably got too bad of a rap. I wouldn't mind seeing a Tigers game there in the summer.
    I've spent a pretty sizable chunk of time in Detroit and the surrounding area and it really isn't that bad. St. Louis is worse, imo. Sure, there are pockets of Detroit that are ******, the weather mostly sucks, and it isn't the most scenic place, but Kstat is right that it is getting younger. Downtown has some neat apartment complexes and games at Comerica are a lot of fun.

Sports Logo

Interesting. I've never been to the US but one of the bands I list to is from Michigan (they're called La Dispute) and they have a couple of songs (Edit your Hometown and Safer in the Forest) that paint a very bleak image of the area. Granted, they're from Grand Rapids and not Detroit but I imagine that the problems that they're talking about (joblessness, foreclosure etc.) are more general and not specific to the Grand Rapids metro.
    Last edited by Nuntius; 01-18-2016 at 10:20 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

Empty vessels make the most noise.

Undefeated

Anyone been to Ashville NC?
    Danger Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Rogco View Post
    Anyone been to Ashville NC?
    Yeah, it's pretty.

Yeah, it's pretty boring.
    FIFY

Nice place to visit if you enjoy mountain scenery.......and nothing else.

Don't get me wrong I could spend a relaxing day there hiking and sightseeing...but I can't imagine spending a weekend there.
    Last edited by Kstat; 01-22-2016 at 04:03 AM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    Interesting. I've never been to the US but one of the bands I list to is from Michigan (they're called La Dispute) and they have a couple of songs (Edit your Hometown and Safer in the Forest) that paint a very bleak image of the area. Granted, they're from Grand Rapids and not Detroit but I imagine that the problems that they're talking about (joblessness, foreclosure etc.) are more general and not specific to the Grand Rapids metro.
    I can't speak to Grand Rapids as I don't live there nor know anybody there. I do know Flint is going through their own personal hell and I feel terrible for them.

Unemployment in general is an issue in urban Michigan, but for the first time in my life detroit seems to be on the uptick. We had to bottom out to get there but downtown detroit is way busier and better developed than it has been at any point in my lifetime.

The Pistons will most likely move back downtown within the next 10 years, and that hasn't happened in my lifetime either.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Hawaii would suck to live in unless you're really, really well off. Had a close buddy stationed at Pearl Harbor, went down a few times for maybe a month at a time. It's a gorgeous vacation obviously, could maybe retire there well with a massive retirement fund, but if you're working and expect to move to paradise with some middle class skills or some **** you're in for a massively rude awakening. Weather's great but get off the resorts and it's a shithole. Plenty of free chicken though I guess.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I can't speak to Grand Rapids as I don't live there nor know anybody there. I do know Flint is going through their own personal hell and I feel terrible for them.

Unemployment in general is an issue in urban Michigan, but for the first time in my life detroit seems to be on the uptick. We had to bottom out to get there but downtown detroit is way busier and better developed than it has been at any point in my lifetime.

The Pistons will most likely move back downtown within the next 10 years, and that hasn't happened in my lifetime either.
    I see. Good to know that things are looking up in some areas, at least
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

Empty vessels make the most noise.

Seeing what the downtown arena is doing for Sacramento before its even complete, I hope Detroit does move it downtown. Just elevates the area greatly. Not that Sacramento bottomed out like Detroit did, but its certainly revitalizing downtown here. When I first moved here just about 5 years ago now, young people didn't want to live here really. It was off to SF and Oakland. But in the last two years there has been a switch. I plan on staying here and am happy to say that.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Hawaii would suck to live in unless you're really, really well off. Had a close buddy stationed at Pearl Harbor, went down a few times for maybe a month at a time. It's a gorgeous vacation obviously, could maybe retire there well with a massive retirement fund, but if you're working and expect to move to paradise with some middle class skills or some **** you're in for a massively rude awakening. Weather's great but get off the resorts and it's a shithole. Plenty of free chicken though I guess.
    This is what I thought when my wife and I honeymooned there a few years ago. Would love to move there permanently, but I wonder how in the world does somebody actually live and survive here just working a regular 40 hour a week middle class job? 8 dollar per gallon milk, expensive gas, expensive fast food, expensive parking, expensive housing. I mean how much can one really make just working at one of those resorts? If you work at a hotel here in Indianapolis, you generally are making poverty level wages.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

You make more in Hawaii to offset the increase. Average income in Hawaii is almost $70,000, almost 30% higher than the US average.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

I think even if I could have the same quality of life in Hawaii, I wouldn't want to live there. Too isolated, too beautiful to visit.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

So where should I want to live to experience the seasons, although more mildly than the Midwest. I'm sure it is a fantasy, but I am thinking somewhere that has weather typically between 40-80 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by ECKrueger View Post
    So where should I want to live to experience the seasons, although more mildly than the Midwest. I'm sure it is a fantasy, but I am thinking somewhere that has weather typically between 40-80 degrees.
    Nashville wouldn't be bad.

I
    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This is what I thought when my wife and I honeymooned there a few years ago. Would love to move there permanently, but I wonder how in the world does somebody actually live and survive here just working a regular 40 hour a week middle class job? 8 dollar per gallon milk, expensive gas, expensive fast food, expensive parking, expensive housing. I mean how much can one really make just working at one of those resorts? If you work at a hotel here in Indianapolis, you generally are making poverty level wages.
    I've got my own honeymoon in Hawaii coming up in 2 months.

Would not want to live there, if only because I'd be 3-6 hours behind the rest of the country and it would cost me a minimum of $1000 just to leave.

Fatman the Malevolent
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by ECKrueger View Post
    Probably somewhere around San Francisco would have that range, plus within a day trip drive you could readily get to much hotter or colder temps and drier or wetter climates to experience "seasons".

Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post
    Probably somewhere around San Francisco would have that range, plus within a day trip drive you could readily get to much hotter or colder temps and drier or wetter climates to experience "seasons".
    I was thinking North Carolina or San Francisco. My aunt lives in San Fran. Not sure I'd ever make enough to live well out there, but I do like it.

San Francisco doesn't really have seasons. I mean they do, but they are a little wonky.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Not really Mark Twain
    "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco."
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson