Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: If You Could Live In Any State....Which Would It Be?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: If You Could Live In Any State....Which Would It Be?

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If I had an unlimited budget and unlimited time on my hands, I'd rather be on the West Coast because it is so much easier to be a sports fan over there with the time zones being as they are. I'd probably buy a nice house in an upscale LA suburb like Marina Del Ray and have a cottage somewhere in Oregon or Washington state.

More realistically, I hope to somehow upgrade from this tiny apartment in downtown DC and buy a house in a nice burb, and eventually get a little property or timeshare in Outer Banks, NC.

I think Florida is criminally overrated unless you really hate cold weather and have to live on the East Coast. Outside of Miami and Naples a lot of the state suffers from a lot of extreme poverty and crime. Orlando is nice enough but I would not want to live close to Disney. Plus, I really like living around history and there just isn't as much as it in Florida is there are in a lot of other places. However, the good thing about Florida is that it can be extremely cheap, much cheaper than the West Coast if you want to escape the cold.

New York is alright but I like DC better. Yeah, there isn't as much to do here and the city isn't trendy, but it is still "cooler" than most of the United States and the big crowds and traffic aren't as big of a problem.
    I don't exactly live on the West Coast, but half the year I'm on Pacific time, and the other half I'm on Mountain time (Arizona is very proud that they do not trifle with daylight savings). Being a sports fan is awesome out here. I love coming home from work and immediately being able to turn Pacers games on at 5.

If I could pick anywhere to live and budget wasn't a concern, I think I'd probably pick an area around LA. Phoenix is amazing in the winter and I do enjoy seeing the sun 320 days/year, but the summer is hot as ****.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I don't exactly live on the West Coast, but half the year I'm on Pacific time, and the other half I'm on Mountain time (Arizona is very proud that they do not trifle with daylight savings). Being a sports fan is awesome out here. I love coming home from work and immediately being able to turn Pacers games on at 5.

If I could pick anywhere to live and budget wasn't a concern, I think I'd probably pick an area around LA. Phoenix is amazing in the winter and I do enjoy seeing the sun 320 days/year, but the summer is hot as ****.
    Get to watch basketball from 5pm to 11pm, college football from 9 am to 11pm, NFL from 10 am to 9pm. Its downright amazing. And very unproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post

I think Florida is criminally overrated unless you really hate cold weather and have to live on the East Coast. Outside of Miami and Naples a lot of the state suffers from a lot of extreme poverty and crime. Orlando is nice enough but I would not want to live close to Disney. Plus, I really like living around history and there just isn't as much as it in Florida is there are in a lot of other places. However, the good thing about Florida is that it can be extremely cheap, much cheaper than the West Coast if you want to escape the cold.

Florida is all over the place. A lot of places that I could easily live in, but there are also quite a few places that I would never want to live in. Overall though, I would love to live in Florida if it were in the right spot. I love beaches, palm trees, and warm weather.

I have no desire to ever go to the Florida panhandle again. I know that people from the Midwest love places like Panama City and Destin, but to me you might as well be in southern Alabama. Those places do absolutely nothing for me and aren't far enough south to completely enjoy the Florida winters. They are fun to visit when you're 20, but I could never imagine wanting to live there as an adult.

Would never ever want to live in Orlando. Being near Disney and Universal would get old fast, plus I just couldn't imagine living in Florida but not being near a beach.

Jacksonville seems really boring. Really anything in the northern part of the state does nothing for me.

Now, OTOH.....

Miami is absolutely spectacular and I couldn't imagine a more beautiful place to live if you could afford to live the high life there. Very glitzy with the water and high rise buildings.

The Tampa area is beautiful. I was very impressed when I went there a few years ago. I can see why people like Tony Dungy and Derek Jeter are so fond of it.

I've spent more time on the Atlantic side than the Gulf side because I had relatives who used to live near the Space Coast. Cape Canaveral is kind of the dividing line on the Atlantic side. I wouldn't consider anything north of Cape Canaveral, but virtually everything South of the Cape on the Atlantic side is very very very nice. There are a lot of small and pretty towns on the coast that I could easily live in. Those are the best places in Florida - the small clean cities that aren't overrun with tourists and transplants.

I enjoyed vacationing in the Tampa area. Family had a time share in Madeira Beach, right by St. Pete. Pretty nice beach. Pretty quiet. But also kinda boring. Do miss the Candy Kitchen though.

Welp, you guys that yearn for the Pacific Northwest are not alone. Not my cup of tea up there but to each his own.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

I'm on my way to Oregon right now. I'll send postcards.

#OccupyOregon
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Welp, you guys that yearn for the Pacific Northwest are not alone. Not my cup of tea up there but to each his own.
    Have you been to Eugene?

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    Have you been to Eugene?
    Not Eugene, but Portland. The Pacific NW is really pretty and a neat place for sure. Fun to visit--I just wouldn't want to live there.

Having lived in Charlotte for 5 years, it's very beautiful but if you don't think this is the south you've never been here.

I've always been curious about the Pacific Northwest, but short of that I wouldn't want to live in any other part of the country.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

ARIZONA!!! or the mountains of Tennessee
    Ever notice how friendly folks are at a shootin' range??.

This season is for Travis ECKrueger's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I thought the same thing, then I went to North Carolina...it's definitely the South.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Having lived in Charlotte for 5 years, it's very beautiful but if you don't think this is the south you've never been here.
    I haven't. I always figured it was kinda southern, but not like Mississippi, Louisiana, or Alabama. Oh well, I don't love the average people around here either.

Oh damn. I just realized I'd have to hear all about nascar if I ever moved there, wouldn't I? I hate hearing about hockey here, but nascar would be unbearable.

The Pacific Northwest is very intriguing. It just feels so much cleaner and greener, and the mild seasons are very appealing. I have family in Olympia Washington, and I always enjoy my stays there, you are very close to nature there. However I believe that the cost of living is tremendously high, and the commute around the Seattle area is horrid. Living in Seattle has become almost as bad as San Francisco. So i just can't imagine ever settling there. I want to work to live, not live to work.

I'd love to visit the Portland area someday soon.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Quote Originally Posted by ECKrueger View Post
    I haven't. I always figured it was kinda southern, but not like Mississippi, Louisiana, or Alabama. Oh well, I don't love the average people around here either.

Oh damn. I just realized I'd have to hear all about nascar if I ever moved there, wouldn't I? I hate hearing about hockey here, but nascar would be unbearable.
    North Carolina is almost identical to Indiana from a sports perspective. Basketball, Football, and Auto Racing a distant 3rd.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wherever autumn is longest.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    Dry heat is the best heat.

We used to go to Florida every year for vacation back when i lived in PA. Its nice, but definitely prefer the West Coast.

Also no one wants to live in PA???? Shocking.
    It's warm year round in Centralia...

😜
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Natston For This Useful Post:

I'll let you know after I hit the lottery tonight.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I really have grown to love AZ being born and raised here, so I'm used to the heat...the weather is rarely an issue besides the monsoon season from late June-September, can get some crazy storms sometimes.

I love watching Pacers sports at 5 pm as well, and the late games aren't an issue at all.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!
    Mood

1. Washington
    2. Colorado
    And not for the reason you're thinking.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacersalltheway10 For This Useful Post:

I would probably choose New York, simply because I have family there. Have visited once and would love to go again.

For those saying the Northwest has miserable weather, I could live with that. We have ***** weather in Ireland for 11 months of the year. We're the first port of call in Europe for any storm coming from the Atlantic.
    https://twitter.com/DrogsNavan

Change is neither good or bad, it simply is.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishPacer View Post
    I would probably choose New York, simply because I have family there. Have visited once and would love to go again.

For those saying the Northwest has miserable weather, I could live with that. We have ***** weather in Ireland for 11 months of the year. We're the first port of call in Europe for any storm coming from the Atlantic.
    New York is cool but if you ever return to the US try to go out West. Maybe something like Zion National Park in Utah and then go to the Bay Area/Big Sur in California. I live on the East Coast and like it but out West is beautiful.

I've been to Europe several times for extended periods but never to Ireland, definitely want to check it out soon, hopefully within the next couple of years.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

The Northwest really doesn't have miserable weather--it's just rainy. Now that I've lived in a place where the sun shines 320 days a year it would be tough moving to an environment like that. No place is perfect, obviously.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

The Northwest really doesn't have miserable weather--it's just rainy. Now that I've lived in a place where the sun shines 320 days a year it would be tough moving to an environment like that. No place is perfect, obviously.
    One of my favorite things about being out here is when people say, "I love the rain!" No, no you don't. They think they would love living in Seattle or somewhere with that wet environment. They would be miserable because they just don't understand how the sun doesn't shine for weeks.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Rainy weather tends to be 'miserable' weather too. As ilive4sports said, it can be tough going when the weather can go months on end without a sight of sunlight, especially during the Summer months. It genuinely affects your mood and psyche.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to IrishPacer For This Useful Post:

Rainy weather tends to be 'miserable' weather too. As ilive4sports said, it can be tough going when the weather can go months on end without a sight of sunlight, especially during the Summer months. It genuinely affects your mood and psyche.
    Yes, which is part of the reason I'm in Arizona now as opposed to the Midwest where you don't see the sun for pretty much the entire winter.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Yes, which is part of the reason I'm in Arizona now as opposed to the Midwest where you don't see the sun for pretty much the entire winter.
    How do you find the humidity? Not sure I could handle somewhere that's too hot.