Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: If You Could Live In Any State....Which Would It Be?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: If You Could Live In Any State....Which Would It Be?

Quote Originally Posted by IrishPacer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fair enough mate. Each to their own and we all have different tastes.
    I certainly can't disagree with the expensive part. Maybe the most materialistic place on Earth.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

After my latest deployment we did London, Paris, and Rome. I thought Paris was beautiful, but it was my least favorite of the 3 stops.

Rome...the people were straight up ********. But the food was amazing and I swear I have never been so spoiled with food in my life (and I gained 5 lbs that week!)

Wife fell in love with London, we did a few movie tours which was really cool, like seeing the street where Harry Potter had been filmed

______

To answer the question, for me it would be Florida. I loved it for all of college, and I just love being that close to a beach

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    I certainly can't disagree with the expensive part. Maybe the most materialistic place on Earth.
    Visit Ireland next time you're in that corner of the world.

Also, I have visited London many times now and the last two times I didn't enjoy it. I find it's turning into an expensive dump. The train prices especially are crazy.
    https://twitter.com/DrogsNavan

Change is neither good or bad, it simply is.

Visit Ireland next time you're in that corner of the world.

Also, I have visited London many times now and the last two times I didn't enjoy it. I find it's turning into an expensive dump. The train prices especially are crazy.
    I heard someone else say the trains became expensive.

I have to be 100% honest, we were hard core tourists. We did the big bus tour, but that was it. It may have just been because it was newer, but I loved it.

On a side note as I have read this thread now, we have had the chance to travel a lot the last couple of years.

San Antonio - had the chance to do training here. I spent lots of time working, but every free moment we were out hitting the river walk of just checking out the million restaurants. Would go back in a second

Hawaii - we just did it, but island hopped. I think we would actually just choose one island and not jump around as much next time if we were to do it again.

Germany - I also did a training in Vilseck a couple of years ago. It was super amazing. I was so nervous before my trip, but I loved Vilseck. If I could do it again I would drive to munich over the weekend and do the castle tours and all that jazz. I know it is not a US State, but I really enjoyed my time (second favorite would be Jamaica from when we hit it on our cruise..but my time was limited as we only had 6 hours on the island)

Since this already got off-topic-ish... I would probably choose NYC, D.C. (If I could afford either), Beijing, or somewhere in Yunnan province (China). By far my favorite places I have explored heavily that I have ever been to.

NYC for the accessibility of everything and elements of different cultures depending on neighborhoods.
    D.C. because it is absolutely gorgeous, especially in the Spring (and beauty around me significantly brightens my mood day-to-day), and walkability.
    BJ because incredible history all around it, beautiful parks, and foooooood.
    Yunnan because of the mountains everywhere, cultural diversity, plethora of "ancient towns", and veggie paradise.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ichi For This Useful Post:

Indiana bruh... i have only home & i will kill/die for it

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    1 - 2, Tinsley's coming for you.
    3 - 4, You're not a team no more.
    5 - 6, He's gonna plead the 5th.
    7 - 8, He's gonna stay out late.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichi View Post
    Since this already got off-topic-ish... I would probably choose NYC, D.C. (If I could afford either), Beijing, or somewhere in Yunnan province (China). By far my favorite places I have explored heavily that I have ever been to.

NYC for the accessibility of everything and elements of different cultures depending on neighborhoods.
    D.C. because it is absolutely gorgeous, especially in the Spring (and beauty around me significantly brightens my mood day-to-day), and walkability.
    BJ because incredible history all around it, beautiful parks, and foooooood.
    Yunnan because of the mountains everywhere, cultural diversity, plethora of "ancient towns", and veggie paradise.
    There's certainly nothing like the buzz of New York. When you're walking in Midtown Manhattan, you really do feel like you're at the center of the world. It's a spectacular place for sure. I wouldn't want to live there unless I was a millionaire many times over though. The expensive cost of living and insane taxes are a big turnoff. Living a normal life there and commuting from the outer boroughs or suburbs would wear on me after a while.

DC area is gorgeous. I love the drive along the Potomic to Martha's Vineyard. Beautiful metro area.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

The DC area is nice especially if money is not an object. My wife and I are relatively frugal and have a combined six figure income and it is pretty questionable as to whether we can afford a house with a yard and access to decent public schools inside the Beltway, though. It is getting stupid expensive to live here.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

I can see why athletes and rich people love Miami. I just got back from it and loved the glitz, lively South Beach, and beautiful beaches all up Miami Beach. The downtown is very clean and looks extremely attractive on Biscayne Bay. Great place to spend a few days and I'd move there in a heartbeat if I were a multi-millionaire. Living a middle class life would be a different story though. The average housing stock is less attractive than Indiana.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 09-06-2016 at 03:22 PM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Seasonally, if I could spend every single summer/autumn in northwest Michigan I'd be a happy man. The planet earth doesn't get much more beautiful than that, and there's just enough infrastructure to where you don't feel like you're in the middle of nowhere.
    Last edited by Kstat; 09-13-2016 at 09:02 AM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

What are the top 5 state that is clean and green and has access to raw milk, cheese, organic food?

Florida

Just back from a 10 day holiday mostly in NYC. Loved it.

Also spent a day in DC. Loved it too but holy ***** the heat was unbearable. Never experienced anything like it before.

Also spent a few days in Connecticut visiting family and I thought the countryside was beautiful.

All around my best holiday yet.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IrishPacer For This Useful Post:

I have lived on the south side or north east of Indy over 60 years. I still maintain a home on the south side. Three years ago we bought a home in a senior community near Orlando, three exits from Disney off of I4. Having family in Indy, St Louis and Brooklyn, we figure this would keep us in warm weather 9 months of the year, while also enabling cheap flights for the family in and out to a place that all the grandkids would actually want to visit.

Disney venues are constantly changing, offer endless concerts and eating experiences and are, of course, the home of Mickey Mouse. We are pretty much guaranteed constant visits from family and relatives. We are 90 minutes or less to either coast. We can get fantastic deals on just about any cruise we want by making ourselves available to fill them at the last minute.

Through the years, I've been all over Florida, so I do have favorite spots where we like to spend a few days. I'll take Siesta for the best beaches. They are as white as any, but unlike Panama City's, the sand is more compacted so you can actually enjoy walking them. Miami Beach is a great place to stay, although very expensive. St Augustine is another great place to visit that most tend to overlook.

The only drawback of interior Florida is the intense summer heat. But that is the time that most of the folks in the retirement communities visit up north or take vacations and cruises elsewhere. But, if it's warm weather you want to avoid the winter cold, Florida is great and offers endless things to do.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

Just back from a 10 day holiday mostly in NYC. Loved it.

Also spent a day in DC. Loved it too but holy ***** the heat was unbearable. Never experienced anything like it before.

Also spent a few days in Connecticut visiting family and I thought the countryside was beautiful.

All around my best holiday yet.
    I have lived in DC since 2004 and am still not used to the heat. It is unbearable. My family also did some recent genealogy and discovered that our heritage is more Irish than anything, it must be in the genes man

23. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

I prefer the moderate climate of the Carolinas. I would move to South Carolina if I didn't have so many roots in Indiana.
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    I have lived in DC since 2004 and am still not used to the heat. It is unbearable. My family also did some recent genealogy and discovered that our heritage is more Irish than anything, it must be in the genes man
    Ah man tell me about it. I met Irish friends there and the three of us were genuinely struggling. You have to walk a lot in DC too so that added to the pain.

streets ahead

I never knew air had texture until my first summer in DC.
    This is the darkest timeline.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to avoidingtheclowns For This Useful Post:

An underrated city I really enjoyed spending a couple of days in was Memphis. Good food, nightlife and music, nice downtown and arts district. I like the Mississippi River cities. St. Louis, New Orleans, Memphis. They have a good southern charm, even St. Louis which I guess is Midwestern. The only problem for me is the river smell and the heat, especially in New Orleans and Memphis. Summers down south are beautiful but I feel like I'm on the verge of death every time I'm down there.

I need to spend more than a night in New York soon and go to the Pacific Northwest, the two main areas I'm missing from this country.

Mood

Probably gaseous...

Mood

...No but seriously...I've moved around to a few different places since 2010. San Diego, back to northwest Indiana, Seattle, Sacramento, and Phoenix (now Chandler, Az).

San Diego is great, but expensive.

Northwest Indiana (LaPorte) has just become a super depressing area to live

Seattle is a weird mixture of great and awful. Both the weather and the people.

Sacramento is probably the most boring place I ever lived

Phoenix and Chandler are pretty nice actually, depending on the area. Chandler actually has kind of a Midwest feel when it comes to the people (in fact I know more people from the Chicago area out here than people actually born and raised here). I met my fiancÚ here so that is a bonus.

Colorado would probably be our choice if we left Arizona.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Merz For This Useful Post: