Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Odd thoughts from an odd season....

Default Re: Odd thoughts from an odd season....

Jay, I guess we disagree as usual, although we really disagree on Foster.
    I fear what Walker is going to do without Jeff guarding him. Jeff guards Walker very well, not as well as K-Mart, but almost.

general question. When you say Jeff can't "guard the post", what do you mean by that. Do you mean he cannot guard good low post offensive players, or do you mean he can't defend the lane through help defense

Sports Logo

I have never understood this notion that Jeff is not a good rebounder. I have seen people say that rebounds just fall into his hands by random chance. If so why didnt Rick Smits ever average as many rebounds as Jeff? How come Jeff leads the league in offensive rebounding?

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have never understood this notion that Jeff is not a good rebounder. I have seen people say that rebounds just fall into his hands by random chance. If so why didnt Rick Smits ever average as many rebounds as Jeff? How come Jeff leads the league in offensive rebounding?
    Jeff has a 'nose' for the ball. My complaint usually isn't whether he's a good rebounder or not. I just don't want *him* to have the ball in his hands. He wastes a lot of rebounds, so I think that his OR totals over-state his actual impact on the game.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

One small thing about Jeff's game I do appreciate is how he disrupts the opposing rebounder. The opposing rebounder had better have the ball secure because JF is constantly flicking at the ball either knowkcing it loose or worrying the outlet. The ball isn't safe unless it is securely tucked away and jeff is moving upcourt. It's a small thing, but it is an effort thing....and I appreciate effort.

But now that we have DD I wanna see how it works with DD starting and JF off the bench.
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    Jeff has a 'nose' for the ball. My complaint usually isn't whether he's a good rebounder or not. I just don't want *him* to have the ball in his hands. He wastes a lot of rebounds, so I think that his OR totals over-state his actual impact on the game.
    I am a believer in the plus minus and he has a very high plus minus. Right now he is second only to Reggie on that chart and right above Dale. Now I agree that Dale is overall the better player, but Jeff does so many "little things" yeah I know I hate that statement too but only because it is overused. With him it is accurate. He plays the passing lanes and gets us a lot of extra possessions.

If I were his coach, I would tell Jeff, that EVERY TIME. He gets an offensive rebound, unless he isn't in any traffic at all (then he can dunk it, NOT throw it up quickly), to always always always get it to a guard so we can reset the offense. His rebounds would mean so much more if he did that every time.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    If I were his coach, I would tell Jeff, that EVERY TIME. He gets an offensive rebound, unless he isn't in any traffic at all (then he can dunk it, NOT throw it up quickly), to always always always get it to a guard so we can reset the offense. His rebounds would mean so much more if he did that every time.
    Amen!!! Also could anyone driving to the basket please slam dunk the ball. Yes Jack and Fred I am talking to you!!

On Foster's rebounding prowess. IMHO, he is good at tipping the ball to himself, knowing where the ball will fall, etc... This is great for normal portions of the game. Not so great when play gets rougher as it does at crunch time or any portion of the game when a brd is a 'must have' and he isn't physical enough to hold his position and/or use his athleticism to get the board. He tends to get pushed or pulled out of the play nor can he push or pull his way into the play without being blatantly obvious and getting called for the foul.

Of course it can be argued the refs shouldn't let play get that physical under the basket at crunch time any moreso than midway in the 1st qtr of an early season game. But they do.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Not to bring up Bender again, but I wanted to clarify. I'd have given him an F as well. But I don't doubt that he was actually injured.

It wasn't a question of whether he was worthless this year, because he was. I'm just saying that if the doctors and the front office are saying he can't play, maybe we shouldn't call him a pansy for not gritting it out.