Announcement

Collapse

The Rules of Pacers Digest

Hello everyone,

Whether your are a long standing forum member or whether you have just registered today, it's a good idea to read and review the rules below so that you have a very good idea of what to expect when you come to Pacers Digest.

A quick note to new members: Your posts will not immediately show up when you make them. An administrator has to approve at least your first post before the forum software will later upgrade your account to the status of a fully-registered member. This usually happens within a couple of hours or so after your post(s) is/are approved, so you may need to be a little patient at first.

Why do we do this? So that it's more difficult for spammers (be they human or robot) to post, and so users who are banned cannot immediately re-register and start dousing people with verbal flames.

Below are the rules of Pacers Digest. After you have read them, you will have a very good sense of where we are coming from, what we expect, what we don't want to see, and how we react to things.

Rule #1

Pacers Digest is intended to be a place to discuss basketball without having to deal with the kinds of behaviors or attitudes that distract people from sticking with the discussion of the topics at hand. These unwanted distractions can come in many forms, and admittedly it can sometimes be tricky to pin down each and every kind that can rear its ugly head, but we feel that the following examples and explanations cover at least a good portion of that ground and should at least give people a pretty good idea of the kinds of things we actively discourage:

"Anyone who __________ is a liar / a fool / an idiot / a blind homer / has their head buried in the sand / a blind hater / doesn't know basketball / doesn't watch the games"

"People with intelligence will agree with me when I say that __________"

"Only stupid people think / believe / do ___________"

"I can't wait to hear something from PosterX when he/she sees that **insert a given incident or current event that will have probably upset or disappointed PosterX here**"

"He/she is just delusional"

"This thread is stupid / worthless / embarrassing"

"I'm going to take a moment to point and / laugh at PosterX / GroupOfPeopleY who thought / believed *insert though/belief here*"

"Remember when PosterX said OldCommentY that no longer looks good? "

In general, if a comment goes from purely on topic to something 'ad hominem' (personal jabs, personal shots, attacks, flames, however you want to call it, towards a person, or a group of people, or a given city/state/country of people), those are most likely going to be found intolerable.

We also dissuade passive aggressive behavior. This can be various things, but common examples include statements that are basically meant to imply someone is either stupid or otherwise incapable of holding a rational conversation. This can include (but is not limited to) laughing at someone's conclusions rather than offering an honest rebuttal, asking people what game they were watching, or another common problem is Poster X will say "that player isn't that bad" and then Poster Y will say something akin to "LOL you think that player is good". We're not going to tolerate those kinds of comments out of respect for the community at large and for the sake of trying to just have an honest conversation.

Now, does the above cover absolutely every single kind of distraction that is unwanted? Probably not, but you should by now have a good idea of the general types of things we will be discouraging. The above examples are meant to give you a good feel for / idea of what we're looking for. If something new or different than the above happens to come along and results in the same problem (that being, any other attitude or behavior that ultimately distracts from actually just discussing the topic at hand, or that is otherwise disrespectful to other posters), we can and we will take action to curb this as well, so please don't take this to mean that if you managed to technically avoid saying something exactly like one of the above examples that you are then somehow off the hook.

That all having been said, our goal is to do so in a generally kind and respectful way, and that doesn't mean the moment we see something we don't like that somebody is going to be suspended or banned, either. It just means that at the very least we will probably say something about it, quite possibly snipping out the distracting parts of the post in question while leaving alone the parts that are actually just discussing the topics, and in the event of a repeating or excessive problem, then we will start issuing infractions to try to further discourage further repeat problems, and if it just never seems to improve, then finally suspensions or bans will come into play. We would prefer it never went that far, and most of the time for most of our posters, it won't ever have to.

A slip up every once and a while is pretty normal, but, again, when it becomes repetitive or excessive, something will be done. Something occasional is probably going to be let go (within reason), but when it starts to become habitual or otherwise a pattern, odds are very good that we will step in.

There's always a small minority that like to push people's buttons and/or test their own boundaries with regards to the administrators, and in the case of someone acting like that, please be aware that this is not a court of law, but a private website run by people who are simply trying to do the right thing as they see it. If we feel that you are a special case that needs to be dealt with in an exceptional way because your behavior isn't explicitly mirroring one of our above examples of what we generally discourage, we can and we will take atypical action to prevent this from continuing if you are not cooperative with us.

Also please be aware that you will not be given a pass simply by claiming that you were 'only joking,' because quite honestly, when someone really is just joking, for one thing most people tend to pick up on the joke, including the person or group that is the target of the joke, and for another thing, in the event where an honest joke gets taken seriously and it upsets or angers someone, the person who is truly 'only joking' will quite commonly go out of his / her way to apologize and will try to mend fences. People who are dishonest about their statements being 'jokes' do not do so, and in turn that becomes a clear sign of what is really going on. It's nothing new.

In any case, quite frankly, the overall quality and health of the entire forum's community is more important than any one troublesome user will ever be, regardless of exactly how a problem is exhibiting itself, and if it comes down to us having to make a choice between you versus the greater health and happiness of the entire community, the community of this forum will win every time.

Lastly, there are also some posters, who are generally great contributors and do not otherwise cause any problems, who sometimes feel it's their place to provoke or to otherwise 'mess with' that small minority of people described in the last paragraph, and while we possibly might understand why you might feel you WANT to do something like that, the truth is we can't actually tolerate that kind of behavior from you any more than we can tolerate the behavior from them. So if we feel that you are trying to provoke those other posters into doing or saying something that will get themselves into trouble, then we will start to view you as a problem as well, because of the same reason as before: The overall health of the forum comes first, and trying to stir the pot with someone like that doesn't help, it just makes it worse. Some will simply disagree with this philosophy, but if so, then so be it because ultimately we have to do what we think is best so long as it's up to us.

If you see a problem that we haven't addressed, the best and most appropriate course for a forum member to take here is to look over to the left of the post in question. See underneath that poster's name, avatar, and other info, down where there's a little triangle with an exclamation point (!) in it? Click that. That allows you to report the post to the admins so we can definitely notice it and give it a look to see what we feel we should do about it. Beyond that, obviously it's human nature sometimes to want to speak up to the poster in question who has bothered you, but we would ask that you try to refrain from doing so because quite often what happens is two or more posters all start going back and forth about the original offending post, and suddenly the entire thread is off topic or otherwise derailed. So while the urge to police it yourself is understandable, it's best to just report it to us and let us handle it. Thank you!

All of the above is going to be subject to a case by case basis, but generally and broadly speaking, this should give everyone a pretty good idea of how things will typically / most often be handled.

Rule #2

If the actions of an administrator inspire you to make a comment, criticism, or express a concern about it, there is a wrong place and a couple of right places to do so.

The wrong place is to do so in the original thread in which the administrator took action. For example, if a post gets an infraction, or a post gets deleted, or a comment within a larger post gets clipped out, in a thread discussing Paul George, the wrong thing to do is to distract from the discussion of Paul George by adding your off topic thoughts on what the administrator did.

The right places to do so are:

A) Start a thread about the specific incident you want to talk about on the Feedback board. This way you are able to express yourself in an area that doesn't throw another thread off topic, and this way others can add their two cents as well if they wish, and additionally if there's something that needs to be said by the administrators, that is where they will respond to it.

B) Send a private message to the administrators, and they can respond to you that way.

If this is done the wrong way, those comments will be deleted, and if it's a repeating problem then it may also receive an infraction as well.

Rule #3

If a poster is bothering you, and an administrator has not or will not deal with that poster to the extent that you would prefer, you have a powerful tool at your disposal, one that has recently been upgraded and is now better than ever: The ability to ignore a user.

When you ignore a user, you will unfortunately still see some hints of their existence (nothing we can do about that), however, it does the following key things:

A) Any post they make will be completely invisible as you scroll through a thread.

B) The new addition to this feature: If someone QUOTES a user you are ignoring, you do not have to read who it was, or what that poster said, unless you go out of your way to click on a link to find out who it is and what they said.

To utilize this feature, from any page on Pacers Digest, scroll to the top of the page, look to the top right where it says 'Settings' and click that. From the settings page, look to the left side of the page where it says 'My Settings', and look down from there until you see 'Edit Ignore List' and click that. From here, it will say 'Add a Member to Your List...' Beneath that, click in the text box to the right of 'User Name', type in or copy & paste the username of the poster you are ignoring, and once their name is in the box, look over to the far right and click the 'Okay' button. All done!

Rule #4

Regarding infractions, currently they carry a value of one point each, and that point will expire in 31 days. If at any point a poster is carrying three points at the same time, that poster will be suspended until the oldest of the three points expires.

Rule #5

When you share or paste content or articles from another website, you must include the URL/link back to where you found it, who wrote it, and what website it's from. Said content will be removed if this doesn't happen.

An example:

If I copy and paste an article from the Indianapolis Star website, I would post something like this:

http://www.linktothearticlegoeshere.com/article
Title of the Article
Author's Name
Indianapolis Star

Rule #6

We cannot tolerate illegal videos on Pacers Digest. This means do not share any links to them, do not mention any websites that host them or link to them, do not describe how to find them in any way, and do not ask about them. Posts doing anything of the sort will be removed, the offenders will be contacted privately, and if the problem becomes habitual, you will be suspended, and if it still persists, you will probably be banned.

The legal means of watching or listening to NBA games are NBA League Pass Broadband (for US, or for International; both cost money) and NBA Audio League Pass (which is free). Look for them on NBA.com.

Rule #7

Provocative statements in a signature, or as an avatar, or as the 'tagline' beneath a poster's username (where it says 'Member' or 'Administrator' by default, if it is not altered) are an unwanted distraction that will more than likely be removed on sight. There can be shades of gray to this, but in general this could be something political or religious that is likely going to provoke or upset people, or otherwise something that is mean-spirited at the expense of a poster, a group of people, or a population.

It may or may not go without saying, but this goes for threads and posts as well, particularly when it's not made on the off-topic board (Market Square).

We do make exceptions if we feel the content is both innocuous and unlikely to cause social problems on the forum (such as wishing someone a Merry Christmas or a Happy Easter), and we also also make exceptions if such topics come up with regards to a sports figure (such as the Lance Stephenson situation bringing up discussions of domestic abuse and the law, or when Jason Collins came out as gay and how that lead to some discussion about gay rights).

However, once the discussion seems to be more/mostly about the political issues instead of the sports figure or his specific situation, the thread is usually closed.

Rule #8

We prefer self-restraint and/or modesty when making jokes or off topic comments in a sports discussion thread. They can be fun, but sometimes they derail or distract from a topic, and we don't want to see that happen. If we feel it is a problem, we will either delete or move those posts from the thread.

Rule #9

Generally speaking, we try to be a "PG-13" rated board, and we don't want to see sexual content or similarly suggestive content. Vulgarity is a more muddled issue, though again we prefer things to lean more towards "PG-13" than "R". If we feel things have gone too far, we will step in.

Rule #10

We like small signatures, not big signatures. The bigger the signature, the more likely it is an annoying or distracting signature.

Rule #11

Do not advertise anything without talking about it with the administrators first. This includes advertising with your signature, with your avatar, through private messaging, and/or by making a thread or post.
See more
See less

Odd thoughts from an odd season....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Odd thoughts from an odd season....

Originally posted by Anthem
    Anybody have insider access?

http://games.espn.go.com/cgi/fba/pla...ive?statsId=50

EDIT: I found a bugmenot login, but I still can't access the page. It's the top hit on this google search:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...oz&btnG=Search
    There is a lot more info but this pretty much is the info we need.

JONATHAN BENDER NEWS ARCHIVE

Mar. 16
    DL Bender (knee) isn't expected to play again this season, the Indianapolis Star reports.

"I don't think we're counting on Jonathan being back this season," Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh said. "We want him to get his leg back. Dan said Jonathan will definitely play in the NBA. We're willing to let this happen for the future. If Dan says he can play before the season ends, that's fine, but we're not counting on it."

Feb. 28
    DL Bender (knee) isn't close to returning to action and might even be done for the season, the Indianapolis Star reports.

"He's continuing to make improvements, but I wouldn't say there's any short-term possibility of him being activated," coach Rick Carlisle said. "It's more of a long-range thing. If he keeps doing well, then it's possible before the end of the season we can activate him."

Feb. 4
    DL The Pacers will place Bender on the injured list prior to Friday night's game against Dallas to allow his right knee to heal, the Indianapolis Star reports.

Bender sat out the second half of Wednesday's loss to Toronto after playing just seven first-half minutes. Bender said scar tissue above his right knee, the result of his growth spurt in high school, causes his hamstring to slip out of alignment. It's like I'm running with no hamstring, so there's pressure on (the) front of my knee," he said. Apparently there will always be setbacks with Bender's knee, according to his physical therapist.

Comment

Thanks, Jose. You're the man.

Is there any way you can find this bit? It would be nice to have context.

... Bender will probably need surgery next summer for the right knee. "There's really nothing I can do about it," he said. ...
      This space for rent.

Comment

While you are looking Jose can you find the article where Scot Pollard called Jon Bender a sissy? It's the same one where he called Jeff Foster Rick Carlisle's golden boy.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Comment

Since Bender has been mentioned I feel I should say something...
          I'll say what I said several months back: We're watching the final chapter in Bender's career. It's now all about the waiting game to see who finally 'makes the call' and ends the charade.

I tend to think Bender could play some... he might not be a jumping jack but he could've been a warm body when the team was short in warm bodies. Even if it was only mop up duty or emergency minutes.

...But I don't know... If he says he can't play due to pain then I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt in that regard BUT he also must remember if he can't play he can't help the team and so his value at that point is nil. I don't know how long a team can hold a roster spot for a player that cannot help his team.

--
          Good post, Peck.

-Bball
          Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Comment

I'm still trying to figure the dynamics involved with JO-Pollard and JO-Foster vs. Foster-Pollard or Davis +either Pollard or Foster. Why do they play better with Davis than with JO. It's obvious they do but why? Is it DD's defense? And is that an indictment against JO for not being able to make his teamates better?

As for Bender...(blush)

well, I still hold out hope.

That was a HUGE and I mean HUGE admission on your part Uncle Buck. So I will make mine too....I smiled when I saw Ron on the bench the other night.
            Ever notice how friendly folks are at a shootin' range??.

Comment

Since this is now a Bender thread, I'll join in...

While we are sidetracked on whether or not Jon was physically albe to play post-brawl we are missing one significant point:

If Jon can't jump, he has NO game. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. He as never learned the fundementals of basketball. Peck's right on a the money with: "If he can't jump, he can still box out. He can't cut, he can still set a pick." The trouble is that Jon has never learned to do these things. Some players overcome a lack of athletism and still excel. Because of their court smarts, or their fundementals, or whatever. Jon can't. If his athletism is gone, then put a fork in him, he's done.

I agree with the F. He's gotten an "Incomplete" almost every freakin' year. Do I feel sorry for Jon? Damm straight. And I would be very happy if Jon develops into a regular contributor. But this year was still a failure for him.
              You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
              All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

Comment

Not to change the topic. But remember several months ago, "Artest's people" indicated that he would address the media sometime in April. If I remember it was April 18th or so. Hopefully he'll wait until the season is over

Comment

Originally posted by Peck
                  Fine, give Foster an "A" then. I just have some issues with the style he plays but that doesn't take away from the fact that I don't think he doesn't give his all.

Yes, Jax did, but he was penalized because of his participation in the brawl.
                  Neither of these guys deserve an A or a B+. They were outstanding in nothing that had to do with basketball. Nothing. Mediocrity does not deserve a top grade in my school. What's wrong with a gentleman's grade for these gentleman. A nice C+.

On the basis of your criteria, John Edwards deserves an A. He did his best, met low expectations, and avoided any suspensions all season long.

Comment

Great post Peck. I was missing the Odd Thoughts after the . . . . game. The season recap was great. My reply will seems somewhat scattered in comparison.

First off, let me help you with Bender. F-. There! The minus comes from the fact the organization kept feeding us a line of BS every time we turned around about his status. I ended up being right, the story would play itself out without my comment

I have been very happy with what we got from the likes of our apparent "underachievers" - Cro, Pollard, Foster and Gill. Each gave us all he had to give. Austin did his part, it just came right after the brawl. I don't think I've ever seen a player more beat up over a season still trying than Austin. Pollard and Foster battle and they both have earned Warrior status in my mind. And I even started a thread recently about why there was so much hate for Gill. The guy was a third-string guard for crying out loud. He wasn't here to start - or even back up. He more than pulled his weight. And UB, I think you are wrong. I think Foster is as popular as Cro.

Harrison. What a find! However, I do admit to being a bit antsy when he went on the IL. The pre-draft talk started to come to the forefront with me. More than anything, I want to see the Harrison we saw early on. The eloquent, funny big guy in the paint. Please David - be that player.

James Jones. Proved again there is a place in this league for a shooter. I'm also impressed how he learned that faking and stepping inside the arc to make 2 is more than important than staying planted outside of it.

Fred Jones. Despite the slump, Fred may be the only guy we have that is really a fuse. One play from him can light the fire.

Jackson. I would like for him to tone the emotions down a bit. But he is exactly what I want from my 2 guard next season. Somebody who will take the shot and take the consequences.

Tinsley and O'Neal. Early in Jamaal's rookie season I was just astounded at how this guy could pass. Then he fell into a Rucker ball player and I thought his disposition stunk. I really believed he was uncoachable. This year he showed me sign of having worked on his game and the ability to be a floor leader. We need that. I am as concerned as everyone else about his physical breakdowns. We need Jamaal and what he brings to the court. As for JO, I truly believe this off-season and next year will prove to be the most scrutinized of his career here. He's a scorer. But he needs to do learn to box out, rebound and pass to be great. His game, as it is right now, will not sustain him in the eyes of Indiana basketball fans. As far as leadership, Jermaine needs to walk the walk.

Anthony Johnson. This is where I take a hit. Nothing more than a back-up. I hate watching his game. He may be the most mechanically flawed guard I have ever seen. He comes up the floor straight up and down. He has horrible hands for a guard. He puts himself and his teammates in bad situations at times because of his indecision and I find it funny people hated Travis Best because of his pounding the ball at the top of the key until the clock ran down. Johnson does the same thing only he just stands there. I give him major props for being able to score late this season. Obviously he can shoot and that opened things a bit for him to have some nice assist games. But to me, he's lucky he was scoring because I didn't think he brought much else to the floor. Certainly not leadership.

Artest. Never has there been a player who owes more to his team and the fans. You don't easily forgive a guy who tanks a potential championship season. ZERO antics next year!

Dale Davis. I could write till the end of time about how I feel about Dale but Peck has said it all. He turned things around for us. I'm happy as hell he's back home.

Reggie. It's all been said. It's all been done. I am so happy I defended him over the past year. He proved me right.

Right after the brawl I stated what this team was doing would long stay in the memory of Indiana basketball fans. I believe I'm right. It's been miraculous what has happened here. No, we may not have anything left in the tank but that's not important to me. Before the season, nothing less than the NBA championship would have been a success. To have witnessed this kind of adversity and be where they are today makes me as proud of this team as any other since I've been a fan.

Lastly, there is only one A+ grade I would give out. And that is to the job Carlisle and his staff did. I'm sure they had to reach way back in the coaching manuals to pull out some of the things they did - maybe even written a few themselves.
                    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Comment

I don't give a **** about Bender, he meant nothing to the Pacers this season, so I'm going to go back to Peck's original post:

Player Peck's Grade Jay's Grade Comment

Anthony Johnson
                      Peck: I give A.J. a solid solid B for the season but he gets an A for the way he ended the year.
                      Jay: I agree, and I didn't think AJ had that in him. The key to AJ's game is persistence, in short spurts he looks awful but he always seems to eventually figure out how to make a positive impact. He was getting enough minutes late in the season that he lifted himself out of the "**** away a lead" doldrums and has certainly been one of our top players over the past two months. I still wonder if he's wearing a glass slipper or concerned about a pumpkin reappearing at midnight, but thank-you AJ for really overachieving this season when the team needed you.

Reggie Miller.
                      Peck: A B+ for the season an A+ for the way he brought us back during the playoff run.
                      Jay: That's too low. At 39 years old, he's going to receive a bunch of 3rd-team all-NBA votes. What we really should do is go back and make his grades from the last two or three seasons even lower. But I'll give him an A for the entire season, he also helped us much more than we expected when he returned from the I.L in early December - before JO's suspension ended.

Eddie Gill.
                      Peck: Solid C
                      Jay: I agree. For a third-stringer, he's done his job.

Jamaal Tinsely.
                      Peck: I'll go with a solid B but if you wanna disagree either way I'm willing to change this.
                      Jay: I've got to go with a "C" here. He gets an "A" for on-court performance but a "D" for his inability to stay healthy. It may not be his fault, but I'd get a "D" on a Physics 101 exam, too, just because I'm not smart enough. He's fragile. Man, I love his game but he's fragile. If he figures out how to stay healthy, he'll earn numerous "A's", but I'll believe it when I see it.

Fred Jones.
                      Peck: Solid B
                      Jay: I'm certainly not on the Fred Jones bandwagon. At times he looked great. But unlike some of the other young players, I'm not sure the post-suspension experience truly helped Fred. He seems to be on his way to becoming a "black hole". You know, the ball goes to him but it never comes back out.

But for the couple of games he started at PG on the west coast, I haven't been impressed at all with his ballhandling or passing. His 3pt FG% has improved but I still don't have much confidence that he'll hit "the next one." I do like his ability to penetrate and finish, but I don't think he uses it enough. And somebody please teach him about a mid-range game.

Jay's grade: C

Stephan Jackson.
                      Peck: Had runs where he looked like an all-star then had times he looked like a chump.
                      I give him a B-
                      Jay: For the same reasons, I'll give him a "C".

James Jones.
                      Peck: This guy was supposed to be the designate I.R.L. person & now has played his way into a nice mid-level or less contract.
                      I give him a C+
                      Jay: I agree

Ron Artest.
                      Peck: Ron quit on the team & the season was never going to be the same after that even before the fight.
                      I give him a F
                      Jay: I agree

Jermaine O'Neal.
                      Peck: I give J.O. a solid B
                      Jay: Like Tinsley, he'd get an "A" if he could stay on the court. To JO's credit, his injuries over the past couple of seasons are due to freaky circumstances. Not his fault, and I truly think his body is still somewhat broken down from all the summers representing USA Basketball. He needed more time off than he was allowed last summer, and he'll need more time off than he will be allowed this summer. I frankly wish he'd spend November and December on the I.L., letting his body, that shoulder, his knees, fully recover so we can see the JO - MVP Candidate - again. Jay's Grade: B+

Austin Croshere.
                      Peck: I give Austin a solid A. Feel free to disagree.
                      Jay: Austin's a winner. Period. There's no reason for him to be as successful as he's been, except that he's a winner. I agree with Peck's grade.

Jon Bender.
                      Peck: I give Jon an F
                      Jay: I give Jon a W/F (Withdrawal while failing) but I really don't care enough to discuss him any further.

Jeff Foster.
                      Peck: I give Jeff a B+
                      Jay: No way. I know the hip's been a problem all season. But I still think I could push this guy around in the post. If he'd been a backup all season, he might get a B-/B for playing this way. But he was a starter most of the season, and Rick gave him legacy starts immediately upon his return, even though he was playing like crap at the time. C-.

Scot Pollard.
                      Peck: I give Scot a solid A
                      Jay: God knows I was Scot's third-strongest critic on here last season. But I've been really impressed when he's been healthy enough to play this season. Too bad its only about once every two weeks. B-.

Dale Davis.
                      Peck: A++
                      Jay: Incomplete. Over the last week or two, he's looked exhausted to me. I think he's been invaluable to the team so far but I'm not convinced he's got much left, nor do I believe he can keep it up over 82-games at more than about 12-18 mpg.

John Edward.
                      Peck: Hard to be realistic about him. For a 15th man I've seen worse. I'll be generous & give him a C-
                      Jay: Why not?

David Harrison.
                      Peck: I give him a B-
                      Jay: I was sky-high on DH early in the season, but I'm concerned about his ability to play regular minutes for 82 games. So I concur with a B-.

What, no grades for Curry, Johnsen, Fowlkes, or Haislip?
                      Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
                      Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
                      Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
                      Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
                      And life itself, rushing over me
                      Life itself, the wind in black elms,
                      Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Comment

Originally posted by Jay@Section204
                        Jeff Foster.
                        Jay: But he was a starter most of the season, and Rick gave him legacy starts immediately upon his return, even though he was playing like crap at the time. C-.
                        Yes, getting 17, 18, 16, 12, 13 rebounds is really crap. I'll asume you just are forgetting, but he was averageing over 12 rebounds per game for the first 10-15 games he came back. There was a point where he would have led the NBA in rebounding if he had played enough games. There were threads started asking if Jeff has a chance to make the allstar team this season.

Comment

Good comments ABA. I sometimes find myself disagreeing with you, but I always respect your thoughts. My only disagreement would be with Jackson. Now, IF he goes back to being the player I saw the first of the year well then welcome aboard...but since his return I have seen little I liked. I consider him to be selfish and erratic. But that's my opinion. I wonder how they'll exist if RA comes back and Jax still dominates the ball.
                          Ever notice how friendly folks are at a shootin' range??.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay@Section204
                            Jeff Foster.
                            Peck: I give Jeff a B+
                            Jay: No way. I know the hip's been a problem all season. But I still think I could push this guy around in the post. If he'd been a backup all season, he might get a B-/B for playing this way. But he was a starter most of the season, and Rick gave him legacy starts immediately upon his return, even though he was playing like crap at the time. C-.
                            When Jeff first came back he played great, then he ran into various other injuries and tailed off..........

EDIT-I should've known I wouldn't beat UB to that one.......
                            PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Comment

Originally posted by MagicRat
                              When Jeff first came back he played great, then he ran into various other injuries and tailed off..........

EDIT-I should've known I wouldn't beat UB to that one.......
                              You don't deserve to put Eastwood in your avatar ever again, slow draw.

Comment

As far as the Bender thing, I'm not sure we will ever know who is right. Since we aren't Jon Bender none of us can really tell how his leg feels. And since I believe most people on the forum are neither licensed medical doctors or privy to the Jon Bender file, it is all going to be conjecture and gut feelings.

You then have to weigh the line between being tough and stupid. Playing games like Larry Bird did and then having to wear a back brace all night is a rather tough thing to do. However, it is also arguable that it isn't the most intelligent thing to do. If we are just talking pain, then I'd like to see him tough it out. However, if we are talking about pain and increasing the chance of either 1.) Making it worse or 2.) Causing an even longer setback... not a smart thing to do. I've lambasted JO for not being tough early on in his career, so I'm not trying to be hypocritical. The pain vs. harming yourself even worse test will answer the question.

Reggie asked Rick if he could come back and Carlisle said "No." Bender told everybody he was ready to come back and Carlisle basically said "He's being more optimistic than I am."

For his career it is tough to argue that Bender isn't an F or an I. Whether he doesn't produce b/c of effort or injuries is debatable. What isn't debatable is that his contribution to the W's and L's of this team has been a complete void.

I find it interesting that Tinsley, who just has a sore foot , is given so much leeway.

I can't understand the Croshere grade. Perhaps it would be better if you seperated the grades. Give one grade for effort and one for productivity. I can agree that Austin gets an "A" for effort. He did play through nagging injuries and is one of the regulars to put in extra practice time. However, there is no way he gets an "A" for productivity.

Dale gets a solid "B+" He was an "A" when he came here, but he's had some games that pulled him down just a tad. One thing is for certain though... we need this guy. Did you notice who pulled down the Reggie misfire against Chicago? I had to assume that was Peck's favorite play of the game.

It's weird. I'm not sure I could give any one Pacer player an "A" for the year, but I would give the team an "A." I guess that is what has made this team so much fun to root for. I just hope they have some reserves in the tank for the playoffs. Multiple people are going to have to play out of their head for us to make some noise.

Will it be Miller? Pollard? JJones? FJones? Davis?

I have no idea, but I'm going to watch our team
                                “Seventy percent of me talking on the court is personally for me to get me
                                motivated and going. Thirty percent is to see if I can get into the opponent’s head.”
                                Reggie Miller

Comment

Working...
                                X