Thread: Artest might be coming back early

Default Artest might be coming back early

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/oneal_artest_040301.html

O’Neal Hurting, but Artest
    Getting Closer to Return

By Conrad Brunner
    Indianapolis, March 1, 2004
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Artest
    Ron Artest will join the Pacers on their final extended road jaunt of the regular season, four games against Western Conference opponents beginning Tuesday night at Golden State, and it may turn out to be a business trip for the All-Star forward.
    Jermaine O’Neal suggested Artest might actually return to the court this week. Artest has been out since undergoing surgery to repair a torn ligament in his left thumb on Feb. 19. He’s been on the injured list five games and is thus eligible for activation when medical clearance is given.

“I think we may have Ron back this week,” O’Neal said after practice Monday at Conseco Fieldhouse. “That’ll be good for us.”

Artest had a doctor’s appointment to examine the thumb, and possibly remove the hard cast. He did not attend practice.

O’Neal

“He’s been shooting, and I think he comes out of his cast pretty soon, if not today,” O’Neal said. “Talking to him, he’s really in a hurry to get back and he feels like he’s going to come back. He’s a guy that did 10 push-ups after he had heart surgery (to repair a minor problem during the 2002 offseason). If he can do that, I’m pretty sure he’s going to try to get back.

“He understands we can win without him, but we need him to excel, especially for the stretch run of the season. If we’re going to contend, we’re going to need all of these guys. We can’t have anybody hurt because they’re important to what we do.”

Carlisle said he hadn’t heard anything specific about Artest returning. Asked if the forward was getting close to coming back, he replied, “He might be.”

Carlisle

“It depends on what the doctor says,” Carlisle said. “But I haven’t heard any word on anything, so I don’t know.”

There is another health issue to monitor, and it involves O'Neal, whose right knee has suffered a recurrence of tendinitis. So far, it has only limited his practice time, but is a situation that will bear watching.

“My knee is really struggling a lot when I play back-to-back games and play a lot of minutes,” O’Neal said. “I had (Sunday) off and coach Carlisle gave me today off so I could get some rest and treatment. I definitely want to be able to play these next two games. Then there’s a day off after that. And as long as I can put some days between games, I think I can get through the season.

“The afternoon of the Sixers game (Saturday night), I thought I may not be able to play. It’s going to be a while before it gets better. But if I keep getting it treated and we put some space on the second-place team, in the last week or two I can sit out and get some rest for the playoffs. The playoffs start three days after the last regular-season game, so I don’t have much time to rest.”

After playing Golden State on Tuesday night, the Pacers face the Clippers on Wednesday. After a day off, they travel to Utah for a Friday night game, then wrap up the trip Sunday night in Denver. After returning home to face Toronto next Tuesday night, they hit the road to face Boston (March 12) and Cleveland (March 14). Then comes the season-closing stretch in which 10 of the final 16 games will be at home.

Interesting....I don't know if it is good for him to come back early, but hey, if he is healed, why not?
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Default Re: Artest might be coming back early

Hmmm... if it's purely up to Ron, I'd be very skeptical... but hopefully he won't get clearance from the doctors or coaches unless it's legit.

IMO, if we're winning, I don't see the big rush... why risk being injured in the playoffs?

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/oneal_artest_040301.html

O’Neal Hurting, but Artest
    Getting Closer to Return

By Conrad Brunner
    Indianapolis, March 1, 2004
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Artest
    Ron Artest will join the Pacers on their final extended road jaunt of the regular season, four games against Western Conference opponents beginning Tuesday night at Golden State, and it may turn out to be a business trip for the All-Star forward.
    Jermaine O’Neal suggested Artest might actually return to the court this week. Artest has been out since undergoing surgery to repair a torn ligament in his left thumb on Feb. 19. He’s been on the injured list five games and is thus eligible for activation when medical clearance is given.

“I think we may have Ron back this week,” O’Neal said after practice Monday at Conseco Fieldhouse. “That’ll be good for us.”

Artest had a doctor’s appointment to examine the thumb, and possibly remove the hard cast. He did not attend practice.

O’Neal

“He’s been shooting, and I think he comes out of his cast pretty soon, if not today,” O’Neal said. “Talking to him, he’s really in a hurry to get back and he feels like he’s going to come back. He’s a guy that did 10 push-ups after he had heart surgery (to repair a minor problem during the 2002 offseason). If he can do that, I’m pretty sure he’s going to try to get back.

“He understands we can win without him, but we need him to excel, especially for the stretch run of the season. If we’re going to contend, we’re going to need all of these guys. We can’t have anybody hurt because they’re important to what we do.”

Carlisle said he hadn’t heard anything specific about Artest returning. Asked if the forward was getting close to coming back, he replied, “He might be.”

Carlisle

“It depends on what the doctor says,” Carlisle said. “But I haven’t heard any word on anything, so I don’t know.”

There is another health issue to monitor, and it involves O'Neal, whose right knee has suffered a recurrence of tendinitis. So far, it has only limited his practice time, but is a situation that will bear watching.

“My knee is really struggling a lot when I play back-to-back games and play a lot of minutes,” O’Neal said. “I had (Sunday) off and coach Carlisle gave me today off so I could get some rest and treatment. I definitely want to be able to play these next two games. Then there’s a day off after that. And as long as I can put some days between games, I think I can get through the season.

“The afternoon of the Sixers game (Saturday night), I thought I may not be able to play. It’s going to be a while before it gets better. But if I keep getting it treated and we put some space on the second-place team, in the last week or two I can sit out and get some rest for the playoffs. The playoffs start three days after the last regular-season game, so I don’t have much time to rest.”

After playing Golden State on Tuesday night, the Pacers face the Clippers on Wednesday. After a day off, they travel to Utah for a Friday night game, then wrap up the trip Sunday night in Denver. After returning home to face Toronto next Tuesday night, they hit the road to face Boston (March 12) and Cleveland (March 14). Then comes the season-closing stretch in which 10 of the final 16 games will be at home.

Interesting....I don't know if it is good for him to come back early, but
    hey, if he is healed, why not?

There is no way he is fully recovered from the surgery he just had so I hope he does not come back yet-for his sake. It should take a good 6-8 weeks at best for him to be able to take a hit on the thumb-maybe longer. Man, I hope he doesn't come back for just that reason.
    Two=the number 2
    Too=means "also"
    To=many definitions-also known as the one to use when the other 2 (two, too) do not apply.

Their=shows ownership-'it is their house'
    They're=they are
    There=many definitions-also known as the one to use when the other 2 (their, they're) do not apply

Sorry but it bugs me when these are used incorrectly when I read posts on PacersDigest.com.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He's a tough cookie but that's not the point...

Clearly the doctors aren't going to let him play until that risk is near its normal level.

It almost seems irresponsible to publish an article like this one... this just gets everybody's hopes up but the only person with an opinion that matters - the doctor - isn't quoted.

Remember, he tore a ligament. He'll probably be a sufficiently high risk of rupturing a ligament in his thumb for a couple more weeks once the cast comes off.

All it takes is to get it caught in a jersey, or hit by an errant rebound kareening off the backboard with a funny spin, or to land on his hand, or for Jamaal to whip a pass to him and he tries to catch it with the wrong hand, etc., etc., etc.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

I certainly hope he doesn't get cleared for a couple more weeks... he gets his hands in everyone's business...thats why he always has issues with his fingers and such....too much risk for re-injury here with Ron.

Sorry, but I said earlier, there is no way you can compare "the beast" with anyone else.

Some of you might have rad about his 500 shots a day to practise ever since he had the op, however maybe you missed this titbit yesterday in the Star?

Jones gets a look

Rookie James Jones played a season-high eight minutes Saturday, hitting one of his two shots. That followed a four-minute appearance on Friday, when he scored his first NBA field goal.

"These are huge steps for a guy who doesn't have any field goals," Jones said.

Carlisle had told Jones on Friday afternoon that he probably would get more time in Saturday's game because of Bender's impending absence.

"Right now I'm happy," he said. "Eight minutes, one minute, 30 seconds I'm happy."

Jones was playing injured forward Ron Artest one-on-one on the Conseco Fieldhouse court 30 minutes before Saturday's game. It was a continuation of a series they began a few days ago.

Artest won the first game, played to 50 one point at a time. Jones leads the current one, 17-15. They'll go to 25, and finish today.

"Ron's adamant about helping me to get better," Jones said. "I appreciate what he's doing for me."

I am thinking that he's a tough cookie and probably will have a special cast on the hand protecting the thumb and allowing him to play.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

WHats your point? I took 500 shots a day with a broken index finger on my right hand, but it was over a month before I was able to PLAY basketball......

2013 Pacers Digest NBA 2K13 Champion (Xbox 360)

I am thinking that he's a tough cookie and probably will have a special cast on the hand protecting the thumb and allowing him to play.
    I agree with Able.

If artest comes back, he won't be playing w/o protection.

It won't bother him, Ron is used to playing with his hands all taped up

I think he should wait until after our little swing. If we come out of it 4-0 or 3-1, he might just want to rest the thumb a bit more.

WHats your point? I took 500 shots a day with a broken index finger on my right hand, but it was over a month before I was able to PLAY basketball......
    So you were playing one on ones with a pro NBA player 2 weeks after the surgery with the cast still on?
    When did you take those shots? day after surgery?

Ron is on the practise floor, not looking, but practising, not even his coach excludes the notion he might be back during this road trip.

check you record, then attack, the point is clear, he won't be first to play with a body part protected, he might be the first to play within 3 weeks of suregery on a hand.

So you were playing one on ones with a pro NBA player 2 weeks after the surgery with the cast still on?
    When did you take those shots? day after surgery?

Ron is on the practise floor, not looking, but practising, not even his coach excludes the notion he might be back during this road trip.

check you record, then attack, the point is clear, he won't be first to play with a body part protected, he might be the first to play within 3 weeks of suregery on a hand.
    The point is, its IMPOSSIBLE to FULLY protect a broken hand, and still PLAY with it. He'll get injured again, plain and simple.

But hey, your all-star, not mine.....

2013 Pacers Digest NBA 2K13 Champion (Xbox 360)

PoultryPops

The point is, its IMPOSSIBLE to FULLY protect a broken hand, and still PLAY with it. He'll get injured again, plain and simple.

But hey, your all-star, not mine.....
    Who said the hand was broken? Granted, ligament damage is pretty severe, but if the doctors say he can play and they are able to rig some sort of cast that will protect it, why not? Besides, Wallace plays with an injured mind, why can't Artest play with an injured hand?

Able, I know we've discussed this before and you and I don't agree. That's fine.

But for anybody else just tuning in, this is what Ron is up against...

Some quick research on torn ligaments in the thumb:

http://www.handuniversity.com/topics.asp?Topic_ID=29

If you have surgery, you will be placed in a thumb spica cast for four weeks. Some doctors will take the spica cast off at four weeks and then place your thumb in an immobilizing splint for another two weeks. Some patients work with a physical or occupational therapist to help regain range of motion and strength in the thumb. Most patients are able to return to normal activity three months after their surgery.

Emphasis Added
    I don't see how one immobilizes a thumb without a hard cast or metal splint, and I'm pretty sure wearing that type of medical device would be prohibited by NBA rules. A soft cast or tape would certainly be insufficient to protect the thumb, especially since the thumb will have no strength and very limited flexibility until Ron's first physical therapy session.

This is his non-shooting thumb, so I do believe he'll be back "quicker" than if it were his right thumb, but to suggest that his tremendous level of toughness is enough to overcome the condition his thumb will be in once the cast comes off ...

Able, I know we've discussed this before and you and I don't agree. That's fine.

But for anybody else just tuning in, this is what Ron is up against...

Some quick research on torn ligaments in the thumb:

http://www.handuniversity.com/topics.asp?Topic_ID=29

If you have surgery, you will be placed in a thumb spica cast for four weeks. Some doctors will take the spica cast off at four weeks and then place your thumb in an immobilizing splint for another two weeks. Some patients work with a physical or occupational therapist to help regain range of motion and strength in the thumb. Most patients are able to return to normal activity three months after their surgery.

Emphasis Added
    I don't see how one immobilizes a thumb without a hard cast or metal splint, and I'm pretty sure wearing that type of medical device would be prohibited by NBA rules. A soft cast or tape would certainly be insufficient to protect the thumb, especially since the thumb will have no strength and very limited flexibility until Ron's first physical therapy session.

This is his non-shooting thumb, so I do believe he'll be back "quicker" than if it were his right thumb, but to suggest that his tremendous level of toughness is enough to overcome the condition his thumb will be in once the cast comes off ...
    I know what he's up against, and am not yet sure whether I am amazed, flabbergasted or dusgusted, but....

The type of "cast" consists of a very thick leather contraption,. which leather is usually hardened by a plastic rigging on the inside, the leaher is mainly to "protect" others in the game, not of any real function except the weight and hold the stuff together.
    It can reach the same stiffenss as a "cast" or "splint" yet allow "usage".

Now that doesn't say I agree, it doesn't say it will be used, it doesn't say he will play, it says nothing but a fact that these contraptions are used in sports all over the world, soccer being one of them where it is often used to protect players playing with broken wrists or hand, yes "broken".
    Think of the contraption as a glove with one finger and "open" other fingers, blegh, you get the idea

Jay, I agree with you partially, I am not so sure it is "good" for Ron to come back so quickly, I am not overly enthousiastic should it happen.
    All I do is notice he is playing one on one, he is practising and people on the team are expecting him back "any day".
    It is not my wish, nor my hope, it is a collection of facts.

Ron however has one thing most of "us" do not have, a very well trained body and unlimited resources for his recovery, he also has a willpower that supercedes most people and it is not easy, that I know of experience, it is so much more easy to feel sorry for yourself, listen to the doom doctors and take a few months of.

Again, I am not sure it is good, I am only seeing it might well happen.

And that my friends, leads me to conclude that this is one special "hombre" a man among men.

All the energy that went in destruction now goes in the team's good, including his presence. That is a mighty amount of energy.

Jay, I agree with you partially, I am not so sure it is "good" for Ron to come back so quickly, I am not overly enthousiastic should it happen.
    All I do is notice he is playing one on one, he is practising and people on the team are expecting him back "any day".
    It is not my wish, nor my hope, it is a collection of facts.

Ron however has one thing most of "us" do not have, a very well trained body and unlimited resources for his recovery, he also has a willpower that supercedes most people and it is not easy, that I know of experience, it is so much more easy to feel sorry for yourself, listen to the doom doctors and take a few months of.

Again, I am not sure it is good, I am only seeing it might well happen.

And that my friends, leads me to conclude that this is one special "hombre" a man among men.

I'm not sure he's really "practicing", although I've read what you've read. But there's no way the doctors or coaches are allowing him to have any contact yet. Yes, he's shooting the ball, running, and horsing around playing some one-on-one.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

I'll repeat myself from when this first happened. It is now nearly 6 mos after my thumb surgery and I can finally push the button in on my car handle without feeling like I'm going to puke. The weakness shown and pain from pressing straight on with that thumb is amazing. I had a palm cast after the spica. It is a white semi-rigid plastid piece that wrapped around the thumb, and across the back of my hand and over the bottom of the palm. It was removeable for therapy but I sure felt better with it on. Right now thinking of taking a basketball off the end of the thumb makes my knees shake...and you know the opposition will be doing everything they can to injure Ron.

Any Dr who would sign a release for him to play this soon should be de-frocked. We have a comfortable lead...take the time off and rest it. DO NOT COME BACK TOO SOON.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

"Too soon."

That's more of an opinion, is it not?

I don't think any one of us knows when it is "too soon" for Ron Artest to return to NBA action. It is all based on the individual and Ron Artest is a strong, tough-minded basketball player with a high threshold of pain. When he comes back, I will have the utmost of confidence in the man because he, and only he, knows when it is the right time to play or when it is too soon.

Yours truly,

Dr. Phil

I read the pacers.com article before reading any post in this thread and I must say I am surprised by almost everyone of the posts contained within
    this thread.

Why is everyone arguing about this.

I guess I take a different approach to injuries, I don't question J.O. pain threshold nor Bender's and I am not about to question Ronnie's

Whenever Ronnie does come back I'll be doing cartwheels in the streets.

I will say for anyone who was saying that Ronnie would miss the rest of the regular season, you are deranged and messed up in the head.

Tim

Ron is hurt, Al is playing hurt and now JO may be hurt.

Sit and rest these guys, please.

Everybody on here will absolutely FREAK if we don't make it out of the first round. We were not exactly healthy last time around, Reggie should have had his surgery early and could have been ready for the playoffs, he didn't and he blew it.

If Ron comes back early then we haven't learned anything from last playoffs. We need our three best players healthy, so what if we tank the rest of the season we still make the playoffs healthy.

Ron should be able to come back whenever, right? I think he knows his own body better than anyone else. And I'm sure he isn't going to do something to screw it up. If he feels that he is ready, then I will believe him and cheer on.

But it is important that we are healthy for the playoffs than having a good record.

It's not going to help much if we have the best record in the NBA but can't get out of the first round because if injuries, right?
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

I didn't used to believe it but now I do - the Pacers players and coaches lurk on this site! They actually believe that they suck without Ron and that they don't have any hope of winning 5 more games the rest of the season without him. Why else would they feel the need to 'rush' someone back from an injury like this? Maybe the doctors have a splint or something that can protect it. I personally would rather see him rest it another couple of weeks. This team doesn't need him at this point. I want to say that if the doctors give him clearance then it must be ok, but aren't these the same doctors that also said there wasn't any way Ron could further damage the thumb when he just sprained it a couple of months ago?
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Players coming back from injuries "early" almost never works out.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

I didn't used to believe it but now I do - the Pacers players and coaches lurk on this site! They actually believe that they suck without Ron and that they don't have any hope of winning 5 more games the rest of the season without him. Why else would they feel the need to 'rush' someone back from an injury like this? Maybe the doctors have a splint or something that can protect it. I personally would rather see him rest it another couple of weeks. This team doesn't need him at this point. I want to say that if the doctors give him clearance then it must be ok, but aren't these the same doctors that also said there wasn't any way Ron could further damage the thumb when he just sprained it a couple of months ago?
    I'm not quite sure you seem to be under the impression that everyone here believes the Pacers season is over already, but this is the 2nd thread you've stated as much. There are definitely some very pessimistic people here, but they're in the minority. They simply seem to be more vocal.
    I hope you are right about the pessimists being in the minority, but it sure seems that there are a lot of them right now and that bothers me. In my 'other' life I'm a diehard realist - not too positive not too negative, just call it as I see it. On here I'm a little more optimistic than most and I actually think the Pacers have many issues to deal with. My contention is that the Pacers ARE dealing with them and the 'pains' we are seeing is a team evolving and growing.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

I just want to state that I feel 100% with fwpacerfan in this. I too am a realist in real life, but when it comes to the Pacers I too tend to be a little positive and really this team is still young so some of the mistakes we sometimes see, however stupid (remember Al not trying to rebound costing us a game, because he was "somewhere else with his thoughts"?), are being made because of that. That shouldnt stop us form being critical about the team, but it should be taken into account. With regards to Ron I really believe he better take it easy and get back slowly and gradually, there's no use in rushing back to the frontlines only to go back in injured shortly after. I think we should just see how the team has done during the coming road trip. Only if we had a total breakdown and other distressing signals should we consider Ron coming back as early as JO has indicated in my view. Just my

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

[font=Comic Sans MS:217e2503fb] I don't want him coming back too early for his own good... BUT, if he feels like he can contribute and the doctors say he's good to go, then who am I to argue against it.

My opinion would be that he should rehab as much as he possibly can before the playoffs. There's no sense of urgency, at this time, that makes me feel like he needs to get back out there right away. That opinion could change fairly quickly though if the guys that ARE able to play don't get there ***** together in the next week or so[/font]

"Too soon."

That's more of an opinion, is it not?

I don't think any one of us knows when it is "too soon" for Ron Artest to return to NBA action. It is all based on the individual and Ron Artest is a strong, tough-minded basketball player with a high threshold of pain. When he comes back, I will have the utmost of confidence in the man because he, and only he, knows when it is the right time to play or when it is too soon.
    That was a point I tried to make much earlier in the thread.

There's only one person or group of people with an opinion that matters here. But you didn't identify that person and Conrad's article didn't quote the right person - the team's doctor(s), who have said nothing publicly about the situation.

Until somebody with authority says something, this is all just speculation fueled from Jermaine - not even Ron (although Ron's opinion of when he's going to return to the court isn't particuarly useful, either.) Until the doctors say otherwise, there's still no medical reason to believe he'll be back on the court any sooner than the Sixers' player Dipper mentioned in the first thread about Ron's timeline. This guy had the exact same surgery on his non-shooting hand earlier this season and missed six weeks or so.