Thread: Payton unhappy in LA

fishman

Default Payton unhappy in LA

Just read on indy star that Payton has some beef with the minutes and role he's being given in LA and that he may walk after the season.
    I know, there's been drama with the lakers all year and I wonder how much of it to really take seriously. But I'd love the thought of the lakers dream team being dismantled this summer.

You think that if the Pacers give a good showing in the playoffs, there's any chance he could sign here next year?

I'd say we have as good of a chance of giving him a ring as anybody. And with how pathetic our backcourt can be, I'm sure he'd be much more appreciated.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Payton unhappy in LA

I think Rick and GP would mix like oil and water. A coach that wants to call every play in a halfcourt offense, vs. a PG that wants to break EVERY play and go on a one-man fast break.

GP+Indiana just has way too many issues for me to agree with it.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

I agree with Kstat on this.

GP might have worked if Isiah were still the coach, but not with Carlisle.

Banned

I'd say we have as good of a chance of giving him a ring as anybody. And with how pathetic our backcourt can be, I'm sure he'd be much more appreciated.
    Pathetic????

Is that why the Pacers have 43-16 record? I don't care HOW good our frontcourt is, but no team with a "pathetic" backcourt is going to have a record this good.

They must be doing SOMETHING right. Like playing defense, like making the right pass, like not turning the ball over, like doing what it takes to win.

They are NOT pathetic.

fishman

yeah, I've gotta agree. I just couldn't see Payton clicking with Carlisle.
    I exagerated a little by calling our backcourt pathetic, but you've gotta admit, if you compare the top 8 teams in the league right now, we have by far the least dominant backcourt.

I'll admit, Tinsley has really improved lately, and I haven't given up on him yet. He's been getting some decent numbers lately.

Keep in mind, I haven't been able to see a single game this year. I'm in Belgium for the year so I've just been living off of recaps, box scores, and what you guys write on here. Yeah, its tough....
    :

Anyways, I'm still not convinced that Tinsley has what it takes to get us a ring. No doubt we've got a great team right now, but I think we're still one star from being an amazing team. A solid center would be nice, but also it seems obvious that our backcourt isn't showing up a lot of times. And if we could pick up a player like Payton for the minimum, it would solve a lot of problems. But as Kstat and Uncle Buck said, its probably just a pipe dream. :

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

-snip-I'll admit, Tinsley has really improved lately, and I haven't given up on him yet. He's been getting some decent numbers lately.

Keep in mind, I haven't been able to see a single game this year. I'm in Belgium for the year so I've just been living off of recaps, box scores, and what you guys write on here. Yeah, its tough....
    :

Anyways, I'm still not convinced that Tinsley has what it takes to get us a ring. -snip-
    When you get to see Tinsley again, and hopefully the NBA Finals are broadcast in Belgium, you won't recognize his game and you might change your mind like UB has.

Our backcourt was definitely our 'achilles heel' earlier in the season before Tinsley got healthy. Believe it or not, he's been our most consistent backcourt player. Reggie's game has become the two extremes - he's either really, really good or really, really bad. AJ and KA have been up-and-down due to injuries and limited skill sets. Fred Jones has been consistent, too. His defense is good, his ball handling is improving, and he'll consistently hit one or two open jump shots per month. Also, our team-defense philosophies have made Jamaal's and Reggie's lack of quickness less of problem than the last couple seasons.

Now our backcourt has improved to the point where the main thing most of us are worried about is getting beaten up physically by some of the bigger, stronger teams that we'll see in the playoffs.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you