Thread: Wow, for once I agree with Bob Kravitz

Default Wow, for once I agree with Bob Kravitz

Hey Bob, welcome to the Sunshine Brigade!

http://www.indystar.com/articles/0/125186-1740-039.html

Bob Kravitz
    Pacers quietly get into perfect spot

February 29, 2004
    This is where the Pacers want to be, how the Pacers want to be. Standing atop the Eastern Conference, cruising along quietly and efficiently toward the top seed and home-court advantage, beating almost everybody and scaring absolutely nobody.
    A year ago, they were loud and gaudy, the New Bad Boys, making a dramatic run to the front, then staging an equally spectacular fall from grace.
    This time, there's no noise. No tumult. No Ron Artest craziness. (Mea culpa, Ron, mea culpa.) In fact, the loudest Pacer has been the man who was supposed to be the iciest -- their coach, Rick Carlisle.
    This time, they are flying under the radar.
    Which is the best place they can be.
    They are not only well on their way to meeting their team goal for victories -- Carlisle won't share that number -- but they appear better suited to winning in a playoff setting.
    "At this point, I'm pleased for the players," Carlisle said before Saturday night's perfunctory 81-74 victory over the Allen Iverson-less Philadelphia 76ers. "There weren't many people who thought we could be in this position at this moment, with the trade of (Brad) Miller, (Ron) Mercer, the upheaval that happened. They've done some great things to get to this position.
    "On the other hand, we know if we don't win in the playoffs, the season is a bust. So I think our optimism and good feeling is hedged by the reality our season is about playoff success."
    Which is true, very true, especially after the flameouts the past two seasons.
    But at some point, you take time to acknowledge and appreciate a remarkable two-thirds of a season.
    Honestly, outside of Indiana, how many people know that the Pacers are tied with Minnesota for the league lead in victories (43), one win better than Sacramento after Saturday's game? How many know they have a better record than San Antonio, Dallas and the Lakers?
    Sometimes, I forget. Sometimes, I look at the NBA standings, see the Pacers at the top, pulling away from Detroit and New Jersey and everybody else, and I have to do a double-take.
    Wait. The Pacers are on their way to a 55-plus-win season and have a chance to put together the franchise's greatest regular season ever? Really? When did this happen and why didn't I get the memo?
    They don't have a dominant center.
    They don't have a big-name point guard.
    They don't have a Big Ticket or Big Fundamental or Big Anything, although I'm sure we could come up with something for Primoz Brezec.
    But on nights like Saturday, they get Al Harrington's best performance as a starter since the Artest injury. They get a strong game from the bench, notably Fred Jones.
    Forty-three and sixteen.
    It tells you what a remarkable job Carlisle and his staff have done this season. It tells you what an amazing season Jermaine O'Neal and Artest have had. It tells you a lot of good things about this group, which has grown up a lot this season.
    Still, all these victories, and they don't scare anybody.
    Even in the East, all the talk has centered on New Jersey's spiritual renewal and Detroit's acquisition of Rasheed Wallace.
    Maybe it's the three first-round exits in a row.
    Maybe it's the sense that even if they come out of the East, they'll get spanked in the Finals (although, if the Lakers aren't there, it's not a sure thing anymore).
    Maybe it's the way the New Orleans Hornets, the most physical team in the East, have throttled the Pacers twice in recent weeks.
    There were a lot of these same doubts about another local team whose playoff history wasn't particularly inspiring.
    The Colts.
    Crazy as it sounds, Artest's thumb injury may ultimately prove to be the best thing that could have happened to this team.
    For one, Artest will return with fresher legs than ever.
    But almost as important, this gives Jonathan Bender his best, and maybe his last, chance to show the Pacers he can not only stay healthy, but he can produce when it matters. He didn't get that opportunity Saturday night, missing the game to attend a funeral. But his time will come these next few weeks, giving management an opportunity to discern whether Bender's future is here or elsewhere.
    Forty-three and sixteen.
    They still don't scare anybody.
    Not yet.

Default Re: Wow, for once I agree with Bob Kravitz

Yeah, I thought the same thing this morning when I read the article.

Now I'm in the process of reevaluating my previous opinions about the Pacers. If Bob says things are good, I have to wonder.

Yeah, I thought the same thing this morning when I read the article.

Now I'm in the process of reevaluating my previous opinions about the Pacers. If Bob says things are good, I have to wonder.

Just think of the article as a cushion he made to soften the landing when he jumps on the bandwagon after the Pacers make it to the ECFs or finals.

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I told you our brigade would continue to get larger and larger!

All hail the Brigade!!!!!!!!!
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Yep. 4-1 since the deadline/ Ron's injury will help the brigade grow in ranks.

I'm happy the Pacers are taking care of business, but I doubt anyone will confuse me with 'sunshine' yet...

Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

You guys do realize that Kravitz is the same writer that 'sucks' when you don't agree with him?

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

You guys do realize that Kravitz is the same writer that 'sucks' when you don't agree with him?

-Bball
    Yup. In fact, he STILL sucks, and rarely has anything insightful (or positive) to say about the team...

...which is why I was pleasantly surprised by the article. One of his better pieces IMO.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I refuse to read his articles...
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

I'm happy the Pacers are taking care of business, but I doubt anyone will confuse me with 'sunshine' yet...

If and it's a big IF, the Pacers go 3-1 on this trip I think you'll sign up for the brigade!
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

If and it's a big IF, the Pacers go 3-1 on this trip I think you'll sign up for the brigade!

Here's to hoping you're right...

Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Sports Logo

When they hit 60 wins (and I think they will) the bandwagoners will be in full tilt.

if there are any computer graphics people on here, we need a smiley of a banana in blue and gold pulling a cart labeled "bandwagon" onto which little stick figures are jumping on (choice 1) or jumping off (choice 2).

call them :jumping on the bandwagon: and :jumping off the bandwagon:

The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)