Thread: Goodbye Reggie...

Default Goodbye Reggie...

...It's been an incredible ride.

When Reggie Miller was selected way back in the 1987 NBA draft few knew what Indiana was really getting. Indiana didn't just get a player, the Pacers got the face of the franchise. We got a player who would give us all faith that we could win. No matter what the score said, with Reggie Miller in the game anything was possible. He brought a bravado to the court that was infectious. We could beat anybody. We could start dreaming not about just a winning record or making the playoffs. We could start dreaming about making some noise in the playoffs.

Reggie's confidence, his showmanship, his drive, the determination... We believed because we felt - no - we knew he believed.

He's leaving as one of the top scorers ever in the NBA. He's taken and made more three point shots than anybody. His longevity both in the NBA and with one team, the Pacers, is also a rarity in this day and age. Regardless of what the hardware might say, Pacer fans know a champion when they see one. Reggie Miller is a true Pacer champion. Just like the heroes from the Pacer ABA heydays of the past.

His absence from the team will certainly leave a void for the fans. Missing will be that hush and then growing buzz as Reggie slips around a pick and waits behind the three point arc for the ball. Reggie then gets the pass and there's this pause as if the crowd must all take a collective breath just before Reggie releases the ball. And then there is the glorious eruption, fans coming out of their seats, arms in the air, and the ball slicing through the net. Swish.... Boom Baby!

That scene has played over and over again in MSA and now Conseco, but it is drawing to a close. Perhaps fittingly, Reggie is playing these last few moments of his career just as he has the last moments of a close game- somehow finding a way to put the team on his back, the fans too, and make us all believe one more time that he has another Miller Miracle awaiting us. 8 points in 8 seconds? No problem. 25 points in the 4th quarter? No sweat. Nailing a last second three to beat Michael Jordan and the Bulls? Of course, it's Reggie. 39 points at 39 years of age? Why not!?

This season hasn't played out like many of us would've hoped but that shouldn't take anything away from the accomplishments of the team and coaching staff as they have navigated these uncharted waters. It's a shame that a player of Reggie's stature, an ambassador not only for the Pacers but the NBA as well, couldn't take the team as intended into one last title quest. But that is not to be. Perhaps we can take some solace from the fact that the circumstances have given Reggie one last chance to lead this team as we all remember. Not as some 39 year old player holding on as long as the team would have him but instead as a player at the top of his game playing some of the best basketball of his career.

The clock is ticking. Reggie's very last game is fast approaching. While the final game of the regular season will be emotional everyone knows that there are playoff games to be played. And history says the playoffs are Miller time. Can he put the team on his back one last time and carry the team and fans farther than anyone thinks possible? I'm not betting against it. With Reggie Miller in the game... anything is possible.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Goodbye Reggie...

This should be archived...
    "He's a strong physical presence out there on both ends of the court. He's a man. There's a reason he was an All-Star." -- Vogel on David West

That was a great post Bball. It really has not hit me yet that this is Reggie last regular season game. Maybe if the Pacers had not made the playoffs, it would hit me harder.

I've said for years if it weren't for Reggie the Pacers never would have ever gotten out of the first round, at least not in '94 or '95. I base that on a lot of things in your post Bball.

In many ways the game I will remember the most was a game the Pacers lost. 1996 game 5 against the Atlanta Hawks. That was the year Reggie suffered the eye injury (wasn't that against the Pistons) he missed the first 4 games. I still remember seeing him sitting on the bench wearing the oversized sunglasses. But he played in game 5 at home, scored 29 points, missed the possible game winner, but his performance under those circumstances was incredible. Playng through double vision. That was Reggie's most inspiring
    performance.

I contend the Pacers overachieved during the 90's, that they really weren't that good, except for Reggie that is. He gave everyone confidence. He willed the Pacers to victory over and over again.

Let me clear up a myth that has grown over the years. The myth - "most Pacers fans wanted the Pacers to draft Steve Alford" Not true. maybe a majority of IU fans wanted Alford. But most Pacer fans did not want Alford. I know I didn't

The greatest thing an athlete can bring to the fans is the belief that you always have a chance. With Miller on the court, we always had that. Thanks Reg.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Let me clear up a myth that has grown over the years. The myth - "most Pacers fans wanted the Pacers to draft Steve Alford" Not true. maybe a majority of IU fans wanted Alford. But most Pacer fans did not want Alford. I know I didn't
    Yep, everyone I knew was hoping (like Bailey later) Alford would fall to the 2nd round.

Sports Logo

The problem was that there were not a lot of Pacer fans in 1987. So the IU fans far outnumbered the Pacer fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    That was a great post Bball. It really has not hit me yet that this is Reggie last regular season game. Maybe if the Pacers had not made the playoffs, it would hit me harder.

I've said for years if it weren't for Reggie the Pacers never would have ever gotten out of the first round, at least not in '94 or '95. I base that on a lot of things in your post Bball.

In many ways the game I will remember the most was a game the Pacers lost. 1996 game 5 against the Atlanta Hawks. That was the year Reggie suffered the eye injury (wasn't that against the Pistons) he missed the first 4 games. I still remember seeing him sitting on the bench wearing the oversized sunglasses. But he played in game 5 at home, scored 29 points, missed the possible game winner, but his performance under those circumstances was incredible. Playng through double vision. That was Reggie's most inspiring
    performance.

I contend the Pacers overachieved during the 90's, that they really weren't that good, except for Reggie that is. He gave everyone believe. He willed the pacers to vctory over and over again.

The truth has finally come out. I've thought you felt this way all along & now I'm glad you have at least come out & admitted it.

Needless to say I strongly disagree with you, but at least we are all now playing in the open on this.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

You say that Reggie started the bravado - I would disagree. Reggie was the first guy to DELIVER on it. Chuck Person started it. I hope the Rifleman is part of the ceremony tonight.
    Heywoode says... work hard man.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck
    The truth has finally come out. I've thought you felt this way all along & now I'm glad you have at least come out & admitted it.

Needless to say I strongly disagree with you, but at least we are all now playing in the open on this.

I know I've posted that before. What, you don't read my every word. Maybe this summer we can delve into this a little deeper.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Doug in CT
    You say that Reggie started the bravado - I would disagree. Reggie was the first guy to DELIVER on it. Chuck Person started it. I hope the Rifleman is part of the ceremony tonight.
    Rifleman, yes - PLEASE! And as Peck said in another thread, please keep the ex-Celtics out of this.

It was Chuck vs. Dominique and Chuck vs. Bird that initiated the post-ABA resurgence in Pacer-Pride. Reggie can have all the credit in the world for finishing the task, but it was - without a doubt - Chuck that started it.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by Doug in CT
    Actually, I chose my words carefully not to say Reggie was the 'first' NBA Pacer to bring us a certain swagger or bravado because Chuck did as well... but Chuck was traded and so that was more a sample of a player bringing that to the team than what we got from Reggie which was sustained throughout 18 years (and as you said 'delivered')

-Bball

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

While a championship would be nice, seeing Reggie playing and leading the team at this level one last time is certainly nice... whatever the outcome.

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

Thumbs up Re: Goodbye Reggie...

What can be said about Reggie that has not already been said? Everybody can talk about his professionalism all day long, and while that is commendable, it really doesn't touch on what I appreciate most about #31.

I didn't really start following basketball until 1987. Yes, I did consider myself a Laker fan as a kid and I did watch the Celtics/Laker 80's games. However, I didn't become hooked until following the Hoosiers in 1987.

I have lived in Indiana my entire life. As a matter of fact, Bloomington and Avon are the only 2 cities I've lived in. So you can say that I consider myself a Hoosier through and through.

One of the things my brother and I have always lamented is the fact that Indiana sports teams have never won a professional championship. I know this will be blasphemy for those of you who support the ABA teams, and I mean no disrespect, but right or wrong I don't put it in the same class as the NBA.

The Colts always disappoint in the playoffs. And even at a collegiate level we have not seen a team win in football (Holtz Irish) or basketball (1987 Hoosiers) for a very long time. Only the Harbaugh led colts and the Jared Jeffries Hoosiers have really come close in recent years.

But Ah... the Pacers. Yes, they have been denied the Holy Grail of a championship, but they consistently give me a chance to believe they can do it. Even when logic tells me that it is next to impossible (much like this year) my heart always overrules my brain and takes me on a ride one more time.

Much like all of my childhood heroes, Reggie always makes you believe he can overcome any obstacle and produce a win. Will he always do it? No, but he leaves everything on the floor. He uses every wily veteran trick, bounces his wasp thin body off of brick walls, and flat out wills the ball into the basket. Ice runs in his veins in the last seconds. I'm always astounded when he misses a big shot.

As the years have went buy, responsibilities of work and being a parent limit my ability to watch all the sports I would like. I do find time for the Colts b/c they only play one game per week, but I make my best efforts to try and watch the Pacers. I can't see every game, but the tradition of winning they have established makes them the best bet for seeing an Indiana team win year in and year out.

So that is my thanks to Reggie Miller. Reggie, you are a great player that I admire. But thanks to you for allowing me to watch a team win that has my state's name printed on your jersey. You may not come from Indiana, but your focus on the fundamentals in spite of a lack of athleticism... it sure makes you look and feel like a Hoosier.

I used to go to Pacer games as a kid to see Cowboy Bob. My son (9) goes to see Reggie. This is the first year he races to the mailbox to get our newspaper and he cuts out the scores of the Pacer games. I have to think that is much more inspiring than when I went to games at his age.

Much like any other year, anything short of an NBA championship will be a disappointment to me. And although I know the odds of us doing it are slim, I'll always believe that we can do it b/c of #31.

Good Luck Reggie, leave everything on the floor so you have no regrets. I'll always be a fan.

I remeber a quote I once heard from Reggie it was like

'I never thought about us being down, I just was wondering where the after party would be held'

Thats not exactly right, but I know it was said after the amazing 8 points in 8.9 seconds it has stuck with me since then.

Only the confidence and the talent that is Reggie Miller could have admitted that.

ReggieMiller8325

Well goodbye Reggie Miller i had a tear in my eye when i saw you go your are the greatest of all time and i hope you the best.

Since Peck has brought up the thread on Reggie, I am bumping this.

What's amazing is that we can now add his final game ever (even in a loss) to his incredible list of achievements. He went out the best player on the floor that night. Incredible.

And Larry Brown's timeout to honor Reggie and his career was unexpected and very much a classy move. That moment still sticks with me.

-Bball

------

-John Wooden