Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My speech teacher is a *****. (!)

Thumbs down My speech teacher is a *****. (!)

Before I paste the email I just got, let me preface this by saying that for most of this Spring semester, this woman has rubbed me the wrong way. Just something about her attitude didn't settle with me, and every time I asked a question for the sake of understanding the assignments, I was always made to feel like an idiot or that I was asking a question everyone but me already knew the answer to (which wasn't true). So I had already been quietly brewing some anger over this person.

Tonight, I get this email from a girl in that class with me:

---------------------
    I don't know how regularly you all check Blackboard, but I looked on it today and found this:

"Tue, Apr 19, 2005 -- 2005Spr_COMM210D: Behavior in class

I was informed that your behavior in class today, April 19, was absolutely horrible. The substitute stated that everyone whined, complained, and was generally disrespectful. I would first like to say that this type of behavior is unacceptable in the presence of any instructor, and that I am disappointed. Because of the situation, you will be receiving a quiz or an additional paper. If I hear any complaints about this, the quiz or paper will only become longer and harder. I would suggest making it easy on yourself by not saying anything more about this and accepting the consequences of your actions."

I was considering, and now I am definitely planning on, writing a letter to (The Department Head) and the communications college regarding (Our instructor)'s unprofessional attitude in class (ie, going off about (Name removed)'s private meeting with her in class), her excessive absences from class, and the overall quality of class. I would encourage everyone who feels the same to join me in this action.

If anyone knows the dates that she missed our class and the lecture, please email me with those.

Thanks very much,
    (Name Removed)

---------------------

The "whining" she is referring to, is the discussion many of us had BEFORE class had started (The sub had not tried to start class yet, she had only said who she was/what she was going to do, and then went back to prepping her stuff or whatnot) for about 5 minutes.

After learning she wasn't here today (the first of four days of us giving our Persuasive speeches), people finally just started venting. This is the 3rd of 4th class she has missed, she has also been a no-show for review sessions she agreed upon with other classmembers to have, she is never available when some of them have tried to setup meetings with her to work on their in-class work, and the "calling out" my classmate is referring to is when she complained one day about one of us going to her office and (now this is poor taste, but you still don't call him out in class by name) basically saying he hated her because of how the class was going for him.

But she didn't stop with that, when someone asked, she didn't say "That's private" or "I'm not going to say", she simply said "It was (name)", who was sitting in the room (there are only 20 of us).

This has me absolutely pissed off. Just ****ing ticked. I was already personally upset with her, but now she's hitting me as a student, and this time I'm not alone in my anger. The smart thing is to hold my tongue until my grade is final, so that she doensn't become more petty and **** with it to get back at me for complaining (which she would do). I likely will, but god am I tempted to give her a piece of my mind, and I've never even come CLOSE to wanting to do that to any of my BSU teachers before.

And as for this "quiz or paper" thing, it's total bull****. We follow a strict syllabus from the department, and all we have left this week and next is giving our last speeches, and then we only meet on finals week for the exam. It is total crap to try to shove this on us at the last minute, against the syllabus, and make it worth any amount of points.

Default Re: My speech teacher is a *****. (!)

Did I mention that this woman is only 3-6 years older than me? Just seeing this snotty attitude from someone barely older pretending to be twice my age and as if we're in high school........

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ding! She can't do that. The syllabus is given for a reason. You have a valid departmental complaint.

That whole situation sucks though. Good luck.
    Actually, There's probably a statement in the syllabus that says something to the effect that she can add to it at any time. Some kind of clause....

This got me to look back over our handbook. She might have some wiggle room, unfortunately:

"Grading and Evaluation

The major activities in COMM 210 are a midterm and a final examination, four oral presentations, a critique of an outside-of-class speaker, a video self-analysis, lecture attendance, plus miscellaneous in- and out-of-class assignment and class participation, as determined by your discussion section instructor."

That to me suggests she might be able to do this stupid extra assignment crap. However, she ALREADY early on had us do an extra speech not listed in the syllabus (a group project/speech), which would count as a miscellaneous assignment. According to the handbook, misc. assigments can only total 12% of our final grade. Our group project all told would be the equivilant (in points possible) 4% of our total grade, leaving 8% open.....

Yes. Yes she is.

I mean, anyone with half a brain knows this wasn't pre-conceived; she's blatantly doing this to "punish" us and at the same time threaten us ("I would suggest making it easy on yourself by not saying anything more about this and accepting the consequences of your actions") just to cover her own *** because she knows she's the ****-up here, not us.

"I would suggest making it easy on yourself by not saying anything more about this and accepting the consequences of your actions."

I don't even have her as a teacher, and that really pisses me off. Who the hell does she think she is?
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

This is probably entering the technicality point of the rant, but: I will also mention that of the 20 of us in the room, I'd venture to guess about 6 of us were actually talking about all of this before class. So she's also taking this out on people who kept their mouths shut the whole time, too. I was one of the ones who talked, but none of us were saying "what a *****" or anything like that.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This is probably entering the technicality point of the rant, but: I will also mention that of the 20 of us in the room, I'd venture to guess about 6 of us were actually talking about all of this before class. So she's also taking this out on people who kept their mouths shut the whole time, too. I was one of the ones who talked, but none of us were saying "what a *****" or anything like that.
    Eh, you've probably learned this before but, in school you are always punished for other people's actions. That bull**** really pisses me off, like some idiot kid may be saying some dumb **** to the teacher and then the teacher gets mad and gives the whole damn class homework or adds to it.

Thats just one of the many reasons, I hate school. But, I do have to say, I like all of my teachers, and the teacher you have is a ****ing retarded *****.

I'd do what you are going to do, and that is don't say anything until the grade is final, then do what you wanted to do.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

So strange, I had anxiety dreams all night about being back in school and being monumentally unprepared for everything, needing to do a whole semester of work in a week, etc. Other dreams had me getting humiliated/made an example of by former instructors. Don't know what that was about, I'm just glad that part of my life is over (for now).

In my own experience, I once had a close friend die 3 weeks before finals, requiring me to get an incomplete for a photography class. I had a solid A going into the last couple of assignments. I completed my work, turned it in before the incomplete deadline and got my final grade.

The ***** gave me a ****ing C. Later, I hear through the grapevine that she thought I made the story up, and she gave me zeros on the remainder of the assignments due to "attitude." I find it only ironic that part of my living now is made as a photographer. Take that, *****!

So, I don't know where I'm going with this. Just a word of advise, Hicks: get your side of the story in writing and on record with the department head, FAST, before this goes out of control and your record is blighted over what should have been no more than a simple misunderstanding.

I thought I would give an update.

Bad luck for me, my Persuasive speech was to be yesterday, the same day that is her return after this crap. So while I was heading in nervous for the speech, my anxiety gets a rise because I have to listen to her 5-10 minute monologue about lecturing us, what our punishment is, and if we didn't like it "tough ****" (yes she said that. Classy, huh?) She went on about how many times she was available, how people could have done X,Y,Z to contact her, and insinuated that her emailing us or leaving a note before classes she was going to miss was just "spoon feeding" other teachers do for us and that we should learn to deal with it because that's the real world (Someone tell this woman what a professional teacher is).

Here's the first thing: The sub? Was one of her close friends. Between that and being one of the teachers she works with, she was believing every word she said. Now, why is that a problem? Well, not only did she mention anything bad said by some of the students (I didn't say anything wrong/bad, but I remember opening my mouth so for all I know I got lumped in to this), but as our instructor went on to talk of what she had been told, it turns out this other ***** spun it to make it sound about 5 times worse than it was!

She told her that the class had kept this behavior (which again, she'd already blown up to make it sound awful when it was modest at best) up during the ENTIRE HOUR. In reality, as soon as class started, everyone shut up, we ran through the 5 speeches that went that day, did our jobs, and then left. NO ONE said a DAMN THING about the instructor or anything of the sort once class was started.

Here's the second thing: She was assigning us a 4-page paper (making the requirement double what our two REAL assignments in the class had been during the semester), and it was to require using definitions and examples from our book to right a communication analysis of what was said (about her) on Tuesday. I kept a straight face and didn't say anything at that moment, but internally I was about like this: )

We let her finish going on making an *** of herself. Then first one of the girls spoke up, then one of the other guys, then I chimed in a little bit. They basically covered the (heavily paraphrased) 'you're taking out something personal on us through this class, and that's wrong' to the 'there's clearly been some big communication failures here' to suggestions on how things could have been better. It was when the focus was on the fact that that ***** of a sub. LIED about our class to make it sound horrible, that I (calmly; as we all kept it) chimed in on the fact that she's making things up and blowing the rest out of proportion. I even did bring up the 'your punishing us in class for something that didn't happen during class, nor was it about the class' stuff, and she gave me her (practically should be a trademark I've seen it enough times this year) 'you're an idiot' look as she sarcastically thanked me for suggesting how to act. ( )

We kept it going until about 20 minutes of class were over, and we had to get the speeches going. I was second, I did fine.

After the last speech was over, (and she had said before we got the speeches started after someone asked for clarification on what this "assignment" was in detail, that she would go over it after the speeches), she did the first decent thing I've seen in a long time from her. She gave us our assignment, and it was NOT what she had planned on during her monologue. The assignment we ALL (20 of us) have to hand in on Tuesday (despite the fact that all but 2 of the class owes NO ONE an apology, and the other 2 BARELY do themselves) a one-page apology to this sub. *****, written as a formal letter. I'll do it, just to get this behind me, but I still haven't decided if I'm going to just totally pretend I was wrong in the letter, or play it more "real" and just say things like "I was unaware I had done anything to upset or offend you, but if you feel I did then I apologize for any harm I may have caused."; that sort of thing. Probably that's what I'll do; I don't think I could stomach pretending I actually did something wrong here.

I'm going to look around a little, and I'll open the question to you guys, but the only thing I need to do is start with "Dear name," and end with "Sincerely, my name", correct? What other basics are there? I can't remember if there's anything else, but I don't think so.

++++++

The lesson I've learned is that some people simply are pricks only in it for themselves. They are (as she made clear) more worried about covering the image of the department by dropping a hammer on us, than learning the truth we were trying to inform her about.

By the way, when the sub. brought this up was apparently during a staff meeting they all had together, and her classic line was "I will never sub. that class again". We wouldn't have it any other way, *****. Stay the **** out.

This woman (the instructor) is pulling the classic 'acting like a child, and in the middle of doing so accusing us of being children' schtick. She'll call us adults who should know better than to act like children in one breath (and of course how if and when we do we should accept the consequences like she's some David Stern with tits), then in another NOT listen to us when we, as adults of mostly 20 years old, try to calmly tell her the bull**** her friend is feeding her.

At least, AT LEAST, she listened enough to go from that absurd 4-page bull**** to this 1-page apology, but this whole mess is still one large pile of crap. When this is over, I'm writing a letter to the Dean. She made it clear she's already talked to the department head (and gotten him in her corner, so I'm not wasting my time there). So I'm taking it out of the department to someone less likely to be close buddies with them all.

What a lovely day yesterday was. *Looks down a bit, stares, shakes head, eyes a little wider than usual*

Nerd.
    Mood

Did the class as a whole, or even some representatives, go and talk to an administrator about the matter?

Mood

Hicks, get your final grade, then fire off a letter to the dean explaining in detail everything that happened, just like you did here. Get as many of your classmates as you can to do the same. Or better yet, write a letter as a group, and send it to the dean. Make it clear that you and your classmates wrote the apology letter(s) only to protect your grade, and that in no way were you admitting guilt. Also make the dean aware of the "best friend" ralationship of this teacher to the sub. Finally, I would cc the letter to the teacher, and the department head. There is a good chance that the department head isn't fully aware of what happened. Just as the sub "played it up" to the teacher, the teacher probably "played it down" to the department head, and made it sound as if it was no big deal. If the teacher knows that you sent the letter to the department head and the dean, and did it as a group, she's more likely to think twice the next time she tries to pull this on another class. A letter from one person is easy to shrug off. A letter from 20 would raise some eyebrows.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by travmil
    Hicks, get your final grade, then fire off a letter to the dean explaining in detail everything that happened, just like you did here. Get as many of your classmates as you can to do the same. Or better yet, write a letter as a group, and send it to the dean. Make it clear that you and your classmates wrote the apology letter(s) only to protect your grade, and that in no way were you admitting guilt. Also make the dean aware of the "best friend" ralationship of this teacher to the sub. Finally, I would cc the letter to the teacher, and the department head. There is a good chance that the department head isn't fully aware of what happened. Just as the sub "played it up" to the teacher, the teacher probably "played it down" to the department head, and made it sound as if it was no big deal. If the teacher knows that you sent the letter to the department head and the dean, and did it as a group, she's more likely to think twice the next time she tries to pull this on another class. A letter from one person is easy to shrug off. A letter from 20 would raise some eyebrows.
    I was a participant in a group letter regarding a professor at IU.

He was "restructured" immediately.

This works, and you should do it.

Another of my classmates has been trying to organize a letter signed by as many of us as are willing since Tuesday. I told her I couldn't sign it now because of my grade. I should email her back and tell her I will if she sends it after our final grades have been posted and we are out of that class.

OK; I just sent this email to my classmate:

Sorry for having several emails, but I forgot to mention this in the last one and it's important. You might have been planning on it anyway, but just in case: We should wait until our grades are final and in print before sending anything. Wait until the grades are locked in place, and we are done with her class. Then, finalize the paper to send, I will sign it, and I'm sure others will too with our grades assured, and then send a copy to the Dean, (name of head of dept.), and to her (so she knows; and might think twice about acting this way if she has any future classes).

If the letter details everything, from her abscences, her attitude ("tough ****" was a classy comment, wasn't it?), her calling out a student in class, her making it clear that she will punish us through our grade if we upset her (and make it clear that this is why we're sending the letter then instead of right now), and anything else that needs to be re-told, it should make an impact if it's sent like that after our grades our safe, and it's signed by a lot of us. You might even mention that the sub was this 'good friend' of hers.

Again if you wait until our grades are safe, I'm 100% willing to sign it, and I might write my own personal letter on top of it.

Mood

I really do think this is your only viable course of action. I don't think you'd get the desired results from anything other than this.

Something else this accomplishes:

If I'm right (I'm pretty sure I am) that your teacher played it down to the Dept. Head in order to get him to go along with it, and this makes it to the dean, it will make your Dept. Head look bad for not taking care of this "in house" so to speak. If he realizes he was misled by her into going along with this, she will at the very least lose a lot of face within the department, and you might get her out of there completely.

Whatever the outcome of this mess is, make sure to keep us posted. Things like this are always interesting.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hey, Hicks, whatever happened with this? Have you gotten your final grade yet?

I had my final in there yesterday morning.

First of all, I ended up doing really well on the persuasive speech I had to give minutes after the back-and-forth between her and our (legit) denials. I got a 94% A on it.

I wrote the basically fake apology as a formal letter, even signed the damn thing, went totally formal and it was two paragraphs. We turned them in after rolling our eyes before she got there, and nothing else has been said about it.

In the class as a whole, I ended up with an A-.

I've had other things to do, and some time has passed, so I'm no longer white-hot mad about it, but I still think it's best that I write a letter to the Dean about it once the grades are 100% official, which should be about May 10.

Meanwhile, I've not heard back from anyone in my class via email, even the girl wanting to organize all of this, so I don't know what happened there. I think I'll work individually if nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    I had my final in there yesterday morning.

First of all, I ended up doing really well on the persuasive speech I had to give minutes after the back-and-forth between her and our (legit) denials. I got a 94% A on it.

I wrote the basically fake apology as a formal letter, even signed the damn thing, went totally formal and it was two paragraphs. We turned them in after rolling our eyes before she got there, and nothing else has been said about it.

In the class as a whole, I ended up with an A-.

I've had other things to do, and some time has passed, so I'm no longer white-hot mad about it, but I still think it's best that I write a letter to the Dean about it once the grades are 100% official, which should be about May 10.

Meanwhile, I've not heard back from anyone in my class via email, even the girl wanting to organize all of this, so I don't know what happened there. I think I'll work individually if nothing else.
    Okay, Hicks, it's been a week, we want an update.

(Sorry, I just read this for the first time, and you've got me ****ing pissed. Maybe I should read it again tomorrow before the game so I'll scream harder at Detroit.)
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

I'm all done with school for the summer. I haven't done anything yet. I have to admit, now that everything's over, and my temper cooled weeks ago, I'm seriously thinking about letting it go. She deserves it, but I'm done with her, and as far as I know she's not going to be here anymore anyway. I dunno if I'll do anything or not now.

[peerpressure]Oh, just think of all the poor *******s that may be subjected to her in the future. Come on, do it![/peerpressure]
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

woman without a team

When I was in college we all signed a letter complaining about our final test. I don't remember if it was really a complaint about the instructors or just the test. I do remember the average grade on the final was a failing grade (or pretty darn close). I doubt it did any good.

Before you think we were a bunch of retards we had to have 70% to get a passing grade.

So how'd it go?

I let it go.

Did you check her IP? I think it was Sassan in disguise.......
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731