Thread: Happy Birthday Donnie Walsh

Default Happy Birthday Donnie Walsh

DW is 45 years old today

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Happy Birthday Donnie Walsh

DW is 45 years old today
    Huh?

Comedian Jack Benny used to always say he was 39. I think he was in his 80's, or late 70's, when he went to his greater reward.

UB was just being kind to DW.

I don't know how old he is.

he may not be as old as he looks,

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't know how old he is.

he may not be as old as he looks,

Remember DW's mid-eighties look with the perm? ... Somebody should post one of those pics in honor of DW's *45th* birthday.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

From the Indy Star library:

Joseph Donald Walsh Jr. was born March 1, 1941, in New York City. He was the oldest of five children and was raised in Riverdale, a close-knit Catholic neighborhood in the Bronx. A self-described gym-rat, he was obsessed with basketball. While at Fordham Prep he became the school's all-time leading scorer and made first team all-city. He was also among the top students academically in his class.
    Walsh attended the University of North Carolina on a basketball scholarship and earned both his bachelor's and law degrees there. He married Judy McNamara while a student at North Carolina. They have five children and five grandchildren.
    Walsh was drafted in the third round by the old Philadelphia Warriors of the NBA, but never played. He turned down an opportunity to practice law with the New York firm of future President Richard Nixon, to follow his love of coaching. He took a job as assistant coach at UNC for a brief time before accepting a similar assignment at the University of South Carolina, where he stayed for twelve years. He was then offered the position of assistant coach of the Denver Nuggets by former college teammate and future Pacers coach Larry Brown.
    Brown resigned as coach in the middle of the 1978-79 season and although he had no aspirations to be a head coach Walsh agreed to take the helm. He remained until after the 1979-80 season. He accepted an assistant coaching job with the Pacers in 1984, then was asked to become general manager in 1986. He was named president of Pacers Sports & Entertainment in 1988. In 1998, Walsh signed a five-year contract extension keeping him in the president's seat through 2003.

Comedian Jack Benny used to always say he was 39. I think he was in his 80's, or late 70's, when he went to his greater reward.
    I always tell people my "Jack Benny number" is 27. That's pretty much the age I consider myself stuck at. Or try to be stuck at anyway.

It's even funnier - to me anyway - that 27 in hex is 39 in decimal. So my number and Jack's are basically the same.

"I'm growing older, but not up." - Jimmy Buffett
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

all hail the King on his birthday!

The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Joseph Donald Walsh Jr. was born March 1, 1941, in New York City.

"HOLY COW"

He is 6 months older than I am. I thought it impossible for anyone to be older than me and still be alive.

I would rather be the hammer than the nail