Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Pep fired

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pep fired

Quote Originally Posted by PaulGeorgeForPresident View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Was the offense good with Hasselbeck in? Yes.
    Does Pep have control over offensive line? No.
    Does Pep have control over WR's getting open? Probably not.
    I just don't think you know what you're looking at yet.

Also, Chud is Chuck's guy --- Pep was not. There was obvious problems with not only playcalling, but with installed plays, period. Our offense was talked about as a potential juggernaut this year, and they've been not only the worst part of the team, but also one of the worst offenses in the league.

This was all Pep. He just wouldn't adjust. He wasn't using his players correctly.

I felt Chud was Peps future replacement when we brought him in, and felt we should've made this move a lot sooner.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 11-03-2015 at 08:35 PM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    Not surprising.

I'm curious as to who's next to blame/go if Luck continues to struggle?
    I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean. There has been universal criticism of Luck's play both on this forum and in the media.

Pep was a problem even when Luck was playing really solid a couple of years ago.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PaulGeorgeForPresident View Post
    Don't get me wrong I really like Chud as an OC. He made Cam a thing. I just think Pagano fired Pep as a scapegoat.
    I dont believe Pagano fired Pep.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to owl For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ya I would think that move had to be signed off on and executed by Grigson.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Regarding our offensive struggles this year, I felt it was 70% on Pep, 20% on our line, and 10% on Luck's health. Our line is a problem, but there are ways to work around and mask a bad line with playcalling, and it just wasn't happening. Nothing you can do about Luck's health except wait for him to recover; the line has had noticeable improvement of late; and we just replaced Pep, and with a pretty good replacement. I'm not exactly predicting a massive turnaround, but it's hard to imagine these offensive players not jumping for joy at this news.
    It may take a few weeks for things to fall into place, especially considering we're facing the best defense this week.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 11-03-2015 at 08:45 PM.

Always feel bad about a guy losing his job, but I find it hard to fault this from what I've seen.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ransom For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    Ya I would think that move had to be signed off on and executed by Grigson.
    I would think that move happens only if Pagano says it needs to happen in a conversation directly with Irsay, who backs him up and says "do it", or else in a conversation with Grigson, if he's willing to try it Pagano's way, since his way (read: Pep) isn't working.... and he realizes he's mostly a dead man walking if things don't turn around anyway.

I don't see Pagano himself firing Grigson's guy who was forced on him in the first place, without some more complicated behind the scenes moves taking place.
    Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sounds like they made this move ahead of the bye week so that we'll actually be able to use it to tweak the offense with what is learned before the bye, as well as install new stuff (fully) during the bye.
    Last edited by Bball; 11-03-2015 at 09:01 PM.
    Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean. There has been universal criticism of Luck's play both on this forum and in the media.

Pep was a problem even when Luck was playing really solid a couple of years ago.
    Pep has received a lot of the blame for Luck's struggles. I think that after last night, he was the fall guy for Luck not playing well. I didn't say it wasn't warranted, just that it happened because Luck isn't playing well.

If he continues to struggle, I'd assume someone else (Pagano and/or Grigson) would be fired as well. Would you not agree

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Pep has received a lot of the blame for Luck's struggles. I think that after last night, he was the fall guy for Luck not playing well. I didn't say it wasn't warranted, just that it happened because Luck isn't playing well.

If he continues to struggle, I'd assume someone else (Pagano and/or Grigson) would be fired as well. Would you not agree
    That's just how sports work. Coaches always go first.

The complaints about Pep have been years in the making.

Truthfully I'm surprised. I didn't think they had it in them to fire Pep.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

i don't know how this was decided but think Irsay said to Grigson do something. Pep was the most obvious guy to go. Firing Pagano would have disrupted the whole team and Chud has experience as a OC. Guessing that Irsay is sending a message that these guys have to work together or they're all going out the door. Pep is not to blame that the OL has one new guy who played only 2 games.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to speakout4 For This Useful Post:

Andrew Luck, not Pep Hamilton, is the reason for the Colts' offensive woes. Receivers are getting open, Luck just can't make the right reads to get them the ball.

I don't know that Chud will fix Luck's issues.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to hoosierguy For This Useful Post:

Doyel: Colts GM Ryan Grigson survives to screw up another day
    Gregg Doyel, gregg.doyel@indystar.com 10:53 p.m. EST November 3, 2015

Call him what he is: a survivor. Ryan Grigson is a survivor the likes of which they make movies about, putting them on an island with a volleyball named Wilson or in the Indianapolis Colts front office with an owner named Irsay, an owner who doesn’t know what to do with a season that has been cast adrift and does the easiest thing possible:

Allows someone to fire the offensive coordinator, Pep Hamilton, because clearly the whole thing — the Colts’ defense is 29th in the league in yards allowed, by the way — is his fault.

Meanwhile, the GM who put that comically bad offensive line in front of quarterback Andrew Luck earlier this season, the GM who put together this oddly too-old, too-young team — the GM who hired Pep Hamilton, of all people — stays in charge.

When the nuclear winter comes, Ryan Grigson will survive it. That’s all I’m saying.

INDIANAPOLIS STAR
    Insider: Pep Hamilton's ouster no sure fix for Colts

Thing is, this move can’t hurt. The new offensive coordinator, Rob Chudzinski — the guy coach Chuck Pagano wanted all along, a guy with an actual NFL offensive coordinator pedigree — got stuff done as an offensive coordinator in Carolina with rookie quarterback Cam Newton and one great but tiny receiver (Steve Smith) and two really good tight ends (Greg Olsen, Jeremy Shockey).

Here in Indianapolis, the Colts have one great but tiny receiver (T.Y. Hilton) and two really good tight ends (Coby Fleener, Dwayne Allen). Plus Frank Gore and Donte Moncrief. There’s enough there to get something done.

The defense is a train wreck, but that wasn’t on Pep. It’s on Pagano, yes, but it’s also on the GM who addressed the defense, the Colts’ clearest deficiency a year ago — well, that and the offensive line — with mostly bargain-basement free agents, midround draft picks and a pair of crossed fingers.

Make no mistake, Pep Hamilton is merely the latest in a line of Grigson’s failed big ideas — others: Trent Richardson, Bjoern Werner, Todd Herremans, Jack Mewhort to tackle — to undercut this franchise.

Pep Hamilton was a Grigson guy all right, right down to his tendency to act clever, instead of being clever. Fake it until you make it, you know? Pep was faking it, calling runs when the team should pass, passes when the team should run, and getting too much credit when the brilliance of Andrew Luck made his bizarre play calls actually work.

But Pep was a symptom of what ails the Colts, not the actual ailment. The actual ailment is the guy calling the shots, the general manager who runs the franchise with the attitude of a Polian (Bill) and the football acumen of a Polian (Chris). Grigson carries himself like the smartest guy in the room — “he thinks he invented football,” one veteran player told me this week — but doesn’t know what he doesn’t know.

Grigson doesn’t know he can’t coach. He forced Pagano to play Trent Richardson. He forced Pagano to open this season with an offensive line featuring two bad guards (Herremans, Lance Louis) at guard and an excellent guard (Mewhort) at tackle. Two games into the season, realizing Luck was in danger and he’s the head coach, Pagano revamped the line. Just like he stopped giving Richardson the ball last season once he remembered, oh, right, I’m the coach here — not Grigson.

Pagano wanted Chudzinski three years ago. Grigson forced Hamilton on him, then took all the credit for the hire, telling the media he had lists of names for various openings, and that Hamilton was his top name as an offensive coordinator.

When the Colts announced Hamilton had been fired on Tuesday, Pagano was quoted. Grigson was silent. Why? Because Pagano is a stand-up guy who takes blame that isn’t his, and because Grigson is a carnivore who sits in the press box snarling about mistakes on the field — I sit near him; I hear him — and whispering into his cellphone as the Colts are falling down 23-6 Monday night at Carolina (I saw him) and going silent when his latest big idea, Pep Hamilton, gets the big boot.

A season that started with Super Bowl hype and hits the midpoint with a 3-5 skid mark has turned into "The Hunger Games" here in Indianapolis. It’s survival of the fittest, and the Colts’ most skilled survivor remains in charge, avoiding blame for the potential dynasty he is dissolving one move at a time.

Nothing lasts forever, though. Wilson started sprouting grass right out of his head, then floated off into the ocean.

Grigson will float on out of here eventually.

Guys like that, they usually do.
    http://www.indystar.com/story/sports...-day/75130104/

------

-John Wooden

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

“he thinks he invented football,” one veteran player told me this week
    Good to know Grigson's lack of popularity extends to the players as well.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Gregg Doyel MURDERED Grigson tonight. Blew a whole lot of story lines up.

The big one being something that's been discussed before, but is always important to remember, Pep was Grigson's pet idea. Chuck wanted Chud to be the guy from day 1.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Has nothing to do with that for me on multiple front:

1.) Pep: Didn't like the hire on day 1. Didn't like it when they got **** canned in New England last year....again. Didn't like it now. Just don't like Pep. He's a college coach IMO all the way.

2.) Grigson: Have really been sour on him since the beginning of this offseason. He mismanaged the draft, again and spent a lot of money on aging skill players that, honestly, the team did not really need. The Trent trade is also a massive black mark on his resume.

3.) Pagano: I dunno, part of me still believes in Chuck, but what's killing me is the refusal for him to man up in the media and just say what we all see, the team is bad right now and they need to get it fixed.

So Luck sucking or not, I'm pretty happy with Pep being removed. I felt he was holding Luck and the offense back last year even when Luck was playing well.

Also, I'm not really sure what you see as the alternative? Are you suggesting we dump Luck over so far one potentially bad season? Obviously other people will be the first to go, Luck would have to play like this for 2-3 years for the franchise to make a change at QB.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

One of my buddies said it best, even if you liked Pep, which is there really anyone who actually liked the way our offense ran? But what my buddy said last night before this news ever even came out, "The Colts need a kick in the ***, and Pep is the low hanging ***"

And also even as the offense was turning the corner late against Carolina, there were some moments Pep made it harder than it needed to be, including multiple 2nd and 9/10 shotgun run draws that got like a yard and doomed us to a 3rd and long.

I guess Pagano probably had to round the players up and give them the "pep" talk

34. The Following User Says Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

" A,Β,..M,N,L,O,P,...F" Johanvil's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    doomed us to a 3rd and long.
    Pep's story right there.

Nice of Doyel to say these things about Grigson. The meddling with who plays or not should have been his last act as a GM.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Johanvil For This Useful Post:

Mood

Has nothing to do with that for me on multiple front:

1.) Pep: Didn't like the hire on day 1. Didn't like it when they got **** canned in New England last year....again. Didn't like it now. Just don't like Pep. He's a college coach IMO all the way.

2.) Grigson: Have really been sour on him since the beginning of this offseason. He mismanaged the draft, again and spent a lot of money on aging skill players that, honestly, the team did not really need. The Trent trade is also a massive black mark on his resume.

3.) Pagano: I dunno, part of me still believes in Chuck, but what's killing me is the refusal for him to man up in the media and just say what we all see, the team is bad right now and they need to get it fixed.

So Luck sucking or not, I'm pretty happy with Pep being removed. I felt he was holding Luck and the offense back last year even when Luck was playing well.

Also, I'm not really sure what you see as the alternative? Are you suggesting we dump Luck over so far one potentially bad season? Obviously other people will be the first to go, Luck would have to play like this for 2-3 years for the franchise to make a change at QB.
    Who was this meant to kick in the butt though? I look at this firing as more of a warning shot to all involved, including Chuck and Ryan. This roster is incredibly unbalanced, and I have a difficult time foreseeing us "turn it around".

38. The Following User Says Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

" A,Β,..M,N,L,O,P,...F" Johanvil's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    Regarding our offensive struggles this year, I felt it was 70% on Pep, 20% on our line, and 10% on Luck's health.
    You have to include Luck's terrible decision making this season. Most of the picks and some missed throws to open receivers have nothing to do with him being injured.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Johanvil For This Useful Post:

I'm definitely not advocating moving Luck in any way, as that's unwarranted and completely unrealistic. I doubt Irsay would ever let Luck go without doing whatever he could to put him in a place to succeed. Reprimanding Luck in any way wasn't my point.

The colts were 1st in the NFL in passing, and 6th in scoring just last year with Pep as the OC. But many said that was because of Andrew Luck's brilliance, and in spite of Pep. But now that the Colts offense is playing poorly, it's mostly because of Pep's playcalling as opposed to Luck's play?

Hoosierguy made my point for me however:

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    Andrew Luck, not Pep Hamilton, is the reason for the Colts' offensive woes. Receivers are getting open, Luck just can't make the right reads to get them the ball.

I don't know that Chud will fix Luck's issues.
    There may have been some issues with playcalling, but Luck is the one throwing the ball. He's the one throwing into coverage, he is the one over throwing wide open receivers, and he's the one not utilizing his legs more effectively. Those things have nothing to do with the playcalling, and changing an offensive coordinator mid season won't change that.

If the offense sees any bump in production following this move, it'll be due to Andrew Luck being accurate and smart with the football. Not because some new offensive gameplan is going to miraculously make things run more efficiently.

42. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post: