Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nets game. Flagrant foul, and Rick rips Kravitz ?

Default Nets game. Flagrant foul, and Rick rips Kravitz ?

Let me get right to it. I've never been against a flagrant foul now and then, and I thought the flagrant foul Croshere took on Vince Carter was the most important play of the game. Rightly or wrongly that is the way you have to defend Vince Carter. That set the tone for the rest of the game.

Obviously if Reggie does not get that 4 point play the Pacers lose the game, but the flagrant turned the game back into the Pacers favor.

I've said this every time the Pacers play the nets. But I give Lawrence Frank a lot of credit and I love the way the Nets play defense. If you notice in the first half the Pacers were passing the ball a few times each play, but against an excellent defensive team like the Nets it takes a few more passes to get a decent shot. And in the second half the Pacers moved the ball, made the extra pass.

One other comment about the Nets. Damn Jason Kidd is good. Is there anything scarier than seeing Jason kidd with the ball in the open court. Wow.

I'll say this again, I was wrong about James Jones. I was not giving him enough credit. He's not flashy, but he does many little things that help the team win and he is excellent in pressure situations.

Dale struggled a little in the first half, but he came up with many huge rebounds as he always does late in the ballgame.

Pacers were really good in the second half, they went after the game and played playoff style aggressive basketball. Great to see.

Did Rick Carlisle just rip Kravitz in the press conference.

Freddie has a broken finger

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Thoughts on the Nets game. Flagrant foul helps turn the game

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did Rick Carlisle just rip Kravitz in the press conference.

Freddie has a broken finger
    Can you please elaborate on both of these?

UB; I have been hesitant to say it until now, but I think given another year or so, and JJ could well be the heir apparent for real.
    Not only does he do a lot of small things, (he's a good rebounder) plays decent defense (to good) he has solid clutch performance written over him, and he has a very very beautiful shot, with great range.

Considering his minutes will increase he could grow into something special

let's keep the kid a few years and see what happens, I believe we have on guy retiring who was
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Freddie has a broken finger?!

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    Can you please elaborate on both of these?

I listening to the post game press conference. (Fox Sports only covers Rick's opening comments, but on radio they at least broadcast a few questions).
    Rick said they found out today that Fred broke a finger, not in the game tonight, not sure when. But he was messing with it tonight.

I did not hear the question that I think Kravitz asked Rick, but I heard Rick's response and he said something to the effect, "that was so long ago, why can't we focus on what is going on right now, why don't you write a sotry on the here and now.

I would guess Bob asked about the brawl in Detroit. But I did not hear the question, so I don't know, I think I recognized Bob's voice. Hopefully someone else can fill in the gaps

They (Al and Quinn) mentioned during the game that Freddie has a broken knuckle on his shooting hand. Looked like he had a couple of fingers taped together. Might help explain his play the last few games.

I'm a fan of anybody that can shoot it, and JJ can flat-out shoot it. I really hope they keep him around......
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Default Re: Nets game. Flagrant foul, and Rick rips Kravitz ?

Who are these idiots calling in asking if Artest is playing in the playoffs. One of the idiots also asked if DH is playing in the playoffs. Duh does kneee surgery mean anything

Just heard DW say this is one of his proudest moments

Who are these idiots calling in asking if Artest is playing in the playoffs.

No question about it, this team's been through a lot, no question about it......

Quote Originally Posted by able
    UB; I have been hesitant to say it until now, but I think given another year or so, and JJ could well be the heir apparent for real.
    Not only does he do a lot of small things, (he's a good rebounder) plays decent defense (to good) he has solid clutch performance written over him, and he has a very very beautiful shot, with great range.

Considering his minutes will increase he could grow into something special

let's keep the kid a few years and see what happens, I believe we have on guy retiring who was
    able, I've been saying that for over a year now. My big thing is all the praise we've been lavishing on Bender's "potential" in the past, will be realized in actuality by JJ. When people want to jock Freddie Jones, I try to stear them towards a second look at JJ. I whole-heartedly agree with you. JJ is the guy with potential I'd hate to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech
    able, I've been saying that for over a year now. My big thing is all the praise we've been lavishing on Bender's "potential" in the past, will be realized in actuality by JJ. When people want to jock Freddie Jones, I try to stear them towards a second look at JJ. I whole-heartedly agree with you. JJ is the guy with potential I'd hate to lose.

JJ is not a potential guy. I say that as a compliment. All he needs is a little experience and he's ready. But he does not have a huge upside

Diesel

We all learned james jones can shoot the ball, we all saw in the beginning of the year how teams dared him to shoot and he made them play. Then fatigue and maybe scouting caused him to struggle for a while. The problem with James Jones has been he doesn't have a mid range game or a dribble drive game, however over the past couple of games I have seen him start shooting off the dribble and hes been knocking that down. For James Jones to be effective he needs to learn how to do something with the ball in his hands because hes not a catch and shoot player. We can't run him around picks and expect him to knock down jumpers like Reggie. IF he keeps this up(shooting off the dribble) then we'll have something with him. He also needs to add a dribble drive move,or some sort of post game. He's long and tall he would be a tough cover in the post against some of the smaller small forwards.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel
    ...For James Jones to be effective he needs to learn how to do something with the ball in his hands because hes not a catch and shoot player.
    Whoa. Wait a minute. In my opinion, that's the strongest part of James Jones offensive game. He IS a catch and shoot player.

And in my opinion, that makes him a PERFECT bench player right now. The fact that he doesn't have to put the ball on the floor to be able to knock down the open jumper.

He does an excellent job of catching the ball with his feet under him and in perfect position to jump into his shot.

The biggest differences that I see between JJ's game and Bender's is that JJ appears to be a little more consistent in his contributions when he gets on the floor, and he also is a respectable defensive player.

Every team needs a player that is capable of coming off the bench and 15 seconds later knocking down the open perimeter jumper. JJ won't get significatn minutes, but is already capable of being a designated shooter off the bench.

He'd need more weight to play the post.

I'd rather he use that height to keep getting shots off from the arc. He can be our Kyle Korver.

JJ is not a potential guy. I say that as a compliment. All he needs is a little experience and he's ready. But he does not have a huge upside
    Maybe it's just a matter of experience, but I think it's more than that UB. He seems to be simply adding new and needed ingredients to his game. When he started out he was strictly a catch and shoot type player. But he seems to have added a nice little mid range game, and gotten better at creating his own shot.

James is obviously a smart kid --- a quick study, if you will. I enjoy pointing out to folks just learning about James Jones that he was an academic All-American at Miami. No doubt JJ is in a nice comfort zone right now. And Rick Carlisle is in a comfort zone regarding giving James minutes.

Also give Austin a save of the game today for keeping Rick Carlisle away from the official in the first quarter. Had not Austin gotten involved, I think Rick was headed for two "T's" and an early exit.

I guess some of us have a different definition of what a "potential player" is.

it is interesting how this thread has turned into a JJ thread.

JJ has potential to be a very good back-up in limited minutes.

I'd be okay with that if we had a SF that we could count on taking up the rest of those minutes every game.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

I'm stunned that Freddy is busted up. Broken knuckles? That won't heal before the playoffs. There has never been a team like this one.

If Tins can come back, we can get some minutes for AJ at the 2 spot. Other than that, I don't know what we'll do.

It just doesn't stop.

Administrator/ The Real Jay Jay@Section12's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

At least we've got a legit reason for why Freddie hasn't been able to drop-kick the ball into the ocean from the beach lately.

Maybe he should quit jacking up so many shots until it heals a little bit...
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

JJ has the "potential" to be a Hoiberg type player aside from not looking like Doug.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    At least we've got a legit reason for why Freddie hasn't been able to drop-kick the ball into the ocean from the beach lately.

Maybe he should quit jacking up so many shots until it heals a little bit...

I think he tried to drive a lot tonight, but had trouble with that also

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel
    He also needs to add a dribble drive move,or some sort of post game. He's long and tall he would be a tough cover in the post against some of the smaller small forwards.
    I'm positive that he was U. Miami's post presence while he was there.......
    I doubt he's gotten the okay, or need, to go into the post. Right now he's just a security valve. I'd imagine when he starts being an even bigger part of the offense, the adjustments would be visible. Right now all he needs to do is hit the damn jumper.

Who are these idiots calling in asking if Artest is playing in the playoffs.
    I can't stand the people who call in. It used to be you got real basketball discussion on there, now it's the stupidest questions you could ever dream up.

Speaking of stupid people, there was a guy in front of me getting into Conseco who made a big deal about the security searches, asking "when the hell did this start?" I told the guy who always scans our tickets, and he said, "Where's the guy been the last 5 years?"

Back to the game, I wasn't terribly impressed with Frank last year. However, I really like how NJ's been playing since the trade. I'm reticent to give Frank much credit, but I remember giving him props for hiring Brian Hill and Bill Cartwright over the summer, so I'll give them the credit instead.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    I'm stunned that Freddy is busted up. Broken knuckles? That won't heal before the playoffs. There has never been a team like this one.

If Tins can come back, we can get some minutes for AJ at the 2 spot. Other than that, I don't know what we'll do.

It just doesn't stop.

Somewhere somebody did the research on most games lost to injury or something like that. We're NOT EVEN CLOSE. Barely more than 1/2 of the record
    I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadian
    JJ has the "potential" to be a Hoiberg type player aside from not looking like Doug.
    Doug who?