Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Peyton Manning 2015-2016 Thread. The Final Year?

Default Peyton Manning 2015-2016 Thread. The Final Year?

I figure Manning will be a hot topic this year in the NFL and particularly here in Indiana as well as in Bronco country. He didn't finish the season looking anywhere near the top of his game. Questions came as to whether Father Time had caught up, or whether it was a leg injury, or whether the neck issues were resurfacing.
    And we now know they never fully went away.
    Then there was the wait to see if he would be back for this season.

So here we are...

"Manning Can't Feel his Fingertips"..
    http://milehighsports.com/2015/09/02...ars-the-glove/

(Manning) traces the physically crummy end to last season not to age but to a vomitous December night in San Diego. Before the Broncosí 14th game, in San Diego, Manning says a bug he caught from his sick daughter made him violently ill. ďI threw up all night,Ē he said. ďThen, in the game, I moved to the right on a simple scramble and my quad cramped on me. It lingered. I couldnít shake it the rest of the year. I really studied it hard this off-season, whether it could linger into this year or whether it was isolated. I just think I got dehydrated, and that caused it. I donít think you can blame it on my age. It was just an isolated thing. Iíve made it through every other season, and this off-season I went through a state of the union physically, if you will, and I started training earlier and made some dietary changes.Ē Heís confident about his health, to be sure. But he also knows thereís no insurance for 39-year-old quarterbacks.
    Read more at http://cover32.com/broncos/2015/08/2...2AjmUWWjJxP.99
    Elway says he didnít want it to get personal, but inevitably, when it comes to money, it may.

But Elway also thinks Manning will look back on this as a necessary step.

From Kingís article:

John Elway The Boss feels bad about not being able to be John Elway Of The Fraternity of Quarterbacks. The Broncos were looking for some Manning insurance, in case he came up hobbling again this year, and were looking for some cap savings, too. So Elway, the Broncosí GM, cut Manningís salary by $4 million; he can make it up in incentives, but the cut was awkward for both sides. ďThat was really hard,Ē Elway said on the side of the practice field at camp. ďThe conversation was hard. A lot of times, as much as you like to say you want those things to stay business, they always end up being a little personal. Thatís the hard part, because I have a great deal of respect for Peyton. I think, hopefully, Peyton will be able to look back in a few years, especially if we have a really good year, and see that, ultimately, the decision was made to give us the best chance to go out and win a Super Bowl this year. That, ultimately, is the best thing for Peyton Manningóeven though, of course, it was $4 million.Ē

That last nugget is interesting.

Elway truly believes that $4 million is going to help them win the Super Bowl? Who exactly did they sign after the pay cut?

In my opinion it was more of a symbolic move on Elwayís part than anything else.

Manning had run the show the last three years with the inept John Fox in town and now he needed to get in line. Whether it leads to a Super Bowl run or a very public falling out will be interesting to watch.

Itís certainly going to be entertaining, regardless of which scenario plays out.

Read more at http://cover32.com/broncos/2015/08/2...S1So5PB2JdL.99
    Manning, who rarely talks about his health to anyone, for whatever reason revealed a lot to King. Including the fact he literally canít feel his fingertips.

Thatís just mind boggling, and makes his 94 touchdowns the last two years even that much more impressive.

Hereís the full scoop via King:

(Manning) still doesnít have feeling in the fingertips on his right hand. ďI canít feel anything in my fingertips,Ē Manning said Thursday. ďItís crazy. Iíve talked to a doctor recently who said, Donít count on the feeling coming back. It was hard for me for about two years, because one doctor told me I could wake up any morning and it might come back. So you wake up every day thinking, Todayís the day! Then itís not.Ē

Welp.

I guess thatís a good thing if the Broncos play a playoff game in negative temperatures, right? If Manning already canít feel his fingers at least his hand wonít be any worse for it in bone-chilling conditions.

Kudos to the Broncos QB for opening up ó hopefully he learned some things last year and everything can fall into place in 2015.

Even if he canít feel Lombardi, itíd be fun to hoist in the air.

Read more at http://cover32.com/broncos/2015/08/2...D7TiX56uyFC.99
    Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Default Re: Peyton Manning 2015-2016 Thread. The Final Year?

I don't see Manning playing at 40 years of age.

He is basically a statue in the pocket now and his arm strength is terrible. If you watched him in preseason you could see he had no zip on throws longer than 15-20 yards.

It's sad really. If you saw a game of his ten years ago that he truly did have a "rocket arm."

When I was checking up on the Broncos and Manning this preseason I was surprised to read that they've installed a new offense. I realized there was a HCing change but I figured Manning ran the show on offense and at best the HC and OC were sounding boards for whatever Manning wanted to do.

Part of me thinks Manning might be behind the change looking to compensate for diminished skills and/or minimize abuse but then I see the offense calls for Manning to be under center more than ever. I don't know if that will fly....

This is all the more reason I think Manning will be in the headlines a lot this season. It's either going to work and work well, or there's going to be lots of talk wondering if this is the end or a mistake that is hastening the end.
    Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When I was checking up on the Broncos and Manning this preseason I was surprised to read that they've installed a new offense. I realized there was a HCing change but I figured Manning ran the show on offense and at best the HC and OC were sounding boards for whatever Manning wanted to do.

Part of me thinks Manning might be behind the change looking to compensate for diminished skills and/or minimize abuse but then I see the offense calls for Manning to be under center more than ever. I don't know if that will fly....

This is all the more reason I think Manning will be in the headlines a lot this season. It's either going to work and work well, or there's going to be lots of talk wondering if this is the end or a mistake that is hastening the end.
    Any RB in Kubiak's system is going to get 1,000 yards on the ground. No names like Mike Anderson, Tatum Bell, and Rueben Droughns had big seasons in Denver with Kubiak as OC.

Manning isn't going to throw as much which MIGHT extend his career and keep him fresh down the stretch.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to hoosierguy For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post

Kubiak is a run game heavy coach, no matter who his qb is. And thats great news for Peyton. Takes pressure off him.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

I donít think you can blame it on my age. It was just an isolated thing. Iíve made it through every other season, and this off-season I went through a state of the union physically, if you will, and I started training earlier and made some dietary changes.Ē

Doesn't matter who it is or what sport they playÖthis is usually code for "I'm getting too old for this."

9. The Following User Says Thank You to LuckSwagger For This Useful Post:

Well, if the line doesn't protect him better Peyton might not even survive the season alive!

------

-John Wooden

We're coming to the end for Peyton :-(.

Sports Logo

Peyton's washed man

Sports Logo

it's only week 2. he's killing his legacy.

He looked far better running the Manning offense instead of the 2015-16 Bronco offense.

But from what I've seen tonight I'm wondering if he can holdup thru the season and maintain enough arm strength to be effective in December and January.

------

-John Wooden

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Kubiak needs to dump whatever the **** offense he had with Manning not in shotgun.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Peyton to seemed to do much better running the offense that was more inline with what he has done for most of his career. I do not get the Kubiak hiring at all. Elway knew full well that Kubiak would want to come in and install his offense that completely goes against what his current QB does best. Just the fact that the bootleg is a big part of the offense is a head scratcher when you have Manning under center.

Bill Barnwell had a pretty good article about Manning/

17. The Following User Says Thank You to thewholefnshow31 For This Useful Post:

As I said earlier, I was surprised to see Denver changing the offense. A tweak for more running, sure, but taking Manning away from his normal predominate shotgun position, hurry up, arms flapping, hurried trips down the line changing plays and calling out protections, and calls of "Omaha"? It seemed like a little late in his career for that and also not something he'd be onboard with.
    I'm not sure you could do that with the 2005 Manning, let alone the 2015 Manning. So I was not surprised to see Manning revert back to his comfort zone and also find success with it. For one thing, it does give him the advantage of getting the defense off balance and utilizing that for a greater margin of error on his increasingly inaccurate throws.

The other thing that surprised me last night, and I'm not sure what to make of it, while Manning's throws (especially early in the game) seemed to be inaccurate, overthrown, underthrown, etc.... he actually was throwing some nice spirals. Manning has never been known for his tight spirals, ever. Not sure where that came from or what it means, if anything.

------

-John Wooden

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah, that TD spiral to Sanders at the end was as beautiful as any throw he had in 2004.

He's too good to have a bad season right now. I'd bet it's more likely than not that it's his final year, and he'll have a respectable season. They are 2-0 against two pretty solid teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    They are 2-0 against two pretty solid teams.
    Dare we say in SPITE of the way Peyton has played ??

A few good moments - yeah. But take away a few HUG KC mistakes at the end of the 1st half and end of the game - and this discussion goes a different direction. I know - they WON, but ............

I'm hoping he continues to be underwhelming but has one of those vintage, throwback type of games old athletes have when New England comes to town.

He's regressed plenty, but that's still better than the majority of QB's out there. It will be interesting to see where it goes from here. I still say no way are the Broncos a threat to win the SB with this Manning.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    Dare we say in SPITE of the way Peyton has played ??

A few good moments - yeah. But take away a few HUG KC mistakes at the end of the 1st half and end of the game - and this discussion goes a different direction. I know - they WON, but ............
    Manning looked fine out there last night once he was in shotgun. Pretty good considering CJ Anderson seems to have lost a step.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    Manning looked fine out there last night once he was in shotgun. Pretty good considering CJ Anderson seems to have lost a step.
    He looked better for sure, but he's not vintage Peyton anymore. Why the Broncos thought it would be a good idea to change the offense is beyond me.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

I meant he looked fine as in he's a fine QB to have. Not 55 TD old self.

If he struggles all year I hope he walks away. Manning's legacy is too good to dint up a bit with a couple crappy seasons.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    If he struggles all year I hope he walks away. Manning's legacy is too good to dint up a bit with a couple crappy seasons.
    Great QBs are great QBs. In 5 years from now when he still holds most of the major passing records nobody will care whether or not he had a year or 2 of being a mortal QB because he was 40+. In 10 years most people will have forgotten he even had that kind of year.

I can't think of anybody who ended a hall of fame worthy career with a dud or two where people actually held it against them.
    Time for a new sig.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    I am good with whatever Peyton decides. He has been so great he has earned the right to walk away on his terms IMO.

So much for Peyton running Kubiak's offense this season....

------

-John Wooden