Page 3 of 152 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2015-2016

Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2015-2016

We got a transfer from Pitt, Josh Newkirk. Averaged 6 pts and 3 apg as a freshmen. He won't be eligible till 16-17 though.

http://www.insidethehall.com/2015/08...ol-possession/

UNBELIEVABLE.

Just fire Crean and blow up the program again. This is getting beyond embarrassing. He has lost complete control of his team. The players clearly don't respect him. He can take his Bible thumping ******** somewhere else in need of an overrated coach.

I'm torn on wondering if Bloomington (or State Police) don't give IU players the breaks they once did, and that other schools get, or if this is their way of helping to push CTC out the door.

I mean, are IU players really dumber than other teams about getting caught drinking, or is there another component here?
    Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Sitting in the parking lot at the convenience store at Dunn and 17th across from the stadium? Brilliant!

http://www.heraldtimesonline.com/new...529d5c12a.html

Holt, a 19-year-old sophomore, and Bryant, an 18-year-old incoming freshman, were cited at 12:50 a.m. Saturday by Indiana State Excise Police after uniformed officers allegedly observed each of them in possession of a bottle of vodka while sitting as passengers in a parked vehicle.

According to a release from excise police, the vehicle was parked outside Convenient Food Mart in the 1400 block of North Dunn street, where officers were alerted to five people seated inside the vehicle. Officers said Holt, who was seated in the backseat, allegedly attempted to conceal a 750 milliliter bottle of vodka as an officer walked past the vechile. Holt allegedly shouted to alert passengers of the officer's presence. The officer then observed Bryant, the front seat passenger, attempt to conceal a 1.75 liter bottle of vodka, according to the release. The three others in the vehicle were neither cited nor named.
    Last edited by Dab; 08-25-2015 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dab View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sitting in the parking at the convenience store at Dunn and 17th across from the stadium? Brilliant!

Holt, a 19-year-old sophomore, and Bryant, an 18-year-old incoming freshman, were cited at 12:50 a.m. Saturday by Indiana State Excise Police after uniformed officers allegedly observed each of them in possession of a bottle of vodka while sitting as passengers in a parked vehicle.

According to a release from excise police, the vehicle was parked outside Convenient Food Mart in the 1400 block of North Dunn street, where officers were alerted to five people seated inside the vehicle. Officers said Holt, who was seated in the backseat, allegedly attempted to conceal a 750 milliliter bottle of vodka as an officer walked past the vechile. Holt allegedly shouted to alert passengers of the officer's presence. The officer then observed Bryant, the front seat passenger, attempt to conceal a 1.75 liter bottle of vodka, according to the release. The three others in the vehicle were neither cited nor named.
    My thoughts exactly. Pure stupidity, particularly given the recent history surrounding players. Can't you just cap the bottle, put it down while in the store parking lot, and shove it under a seat? I'm not looking at the moral/legal perspective, just the common sense one. Sheesh.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    I'm torn on wondering if Bloomington (or State Police) don't give IU players the breaks they once did, and that other schools get, or if this is their way of helping to push CTC out the door.

I mean, are IU players really dumber than other teams about getting caught drinking, or is there another component here?
    Yes?

I don't know, there's a lot of ways to look at this, but let's look at Holt specifically. How many strikes does this guy get? IMO his *** should and would be off the team at most other programs (specifically bball programs). He ran over his own drunken teammate last year for Christ's sake.

Look I understand kids drink underage, I did it too, but the realization is this, for some reason under the Watford, Hulls, etc. teams, guys never made these mistakes. They were at least smart about it and hopefully also responsible about it. I would guess there was more accountability within the team about actions.

Now the team seems to be without an off court leader, Yogi clearly is not one, we're talking about a guy with the most recognizable baby face on campus trying to get into freaking Sports with a fake ID during ****ING LIL 500 WEEK. How dumb can you be?

You combine a lack of team leadership with IMO a weak, or inconsistent leader in Crean, and you have a recipe for this kind of stuff happening repeatedly.

And if it keeps happening, it's only a matter of time til you have another event like the Devin Davis accident where someone gets hurt or worse.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dab View Post
    Sitting in the parking at the convenience store at Dunn and 17th across from the stadium? Brilliant!

LOL, I know this C-Store, and it's closed that late at night typically which makes it even more suspicious. Geniuses.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Welp, didn't take Bryant long to get into trouble.

I think it's time to cut Holt loose.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    LOL, I know this C-Store, and it's closed that late at night typically which makes it even more suspicious. Geniuses.
    I've been there many times. I mean they'd be hard pressed to find a more conspicuous place to do their underage drinking. I mean the place is closed and the cops see a car parked there full of people- they're gonna check it out.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to clownskull For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    I think it's time to cut Holt loose.
    He may be more valuable than you realize. Every crew needs a fall guy. Maybe he's it.

Well if they let Holt go might as well just fire Crean.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mad-Mad-Mario For This Useful Post:

I have a hard time really commenting about this alcohol thing at IU because I want Crean gone so bad that I'm afraid my bias is just going to automatically make me jump in line with anyone and everyone that says it's his fault and he needs fired.
    Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

seriously man, Crean apparently recruits idiots. these dudes can't get drunk and high on a college campus w/o getting into trouble. I spent my entire time drunk and high and honestly looking back I was basically trying to get arrested. seriously, your basketball team is just stupid.

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    seriously man, Crean apparently recruits idiots. these dudes can't get drunk and high on a college campus w/o getting into trouble. I spent my entire time drunk and high and honestly looking back I was basically trying to get arrested. seriously, your basketball team is just stupid.
    You won't find anyone arguing with you here.

Mood

Glass: McRobbie gives stern talk to athletic department

http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/2015/08/...ball-incident/

Posted by Mike Miller in Football • Men's Basketball on Wednesday, Aug. 26, 2015 at 4:56 PM.

The latest off-the-court incident involving the Indiana men’s basketball program has drawn the ire of university president Michael McRobbie.

Asked if it was a fair characterization to say McRobbie read the riot act to the athletic staff, including coaches and support members, during an annual department-wide meeting on Tuesday, Indiana athletic director Fred Glass said simply, “Yes.”

Speaking to reporters on Wednesday afternoon, Glass said the IU president shared his feelings about the recurring off-the-court issues.

“He took the opportunity very appropriately and forthrightly to express his expectations about student-athlete behavior, and that was to our coaching staff from top to bottom,” Glass said. “I gave an annual report on where we are as a department and follow all that with my own expectations in that regard.”

In a transcript of his remarks released by the university, McRobbie told staffers that he’s had enough of the off-the-court transgressions dominating university headlines.

“This misbehavior simply has to stop,” McRobbie said at the meeting.

The president juxtaposed the recent news regarding IU basketball with a breakthrough scientific discovery by IU’s Department of Geological Sciences’ Dr. David Dilcher, who led a team that last week identified the earliest form of ancient flowering plant life that emerged 130 million years ago.

McRobbie said that is the kind of achievement he wants the university associated with in national and global conversation.

“What I do not want to see is any more stories of repeated student misbehavior,” he said. “They embarrass the university, they embarrass all of you in athletics and they are a complete distraction from our primary role as an educational institution.”

Glass declined to address Saturday morning’s alcohol-related incident involving sophomore Emmitt Holt and freshman Thomas Bryant. Holt, 19, and Bryant, 18, were cited at 12:50 a.m. Saturday by Indiana State Excise Police after uniformed officers allegedly observed each of them in possession of a bottle of vodka while sitting as passengers in a parked vehicle outside Convenient Food Mart in the 1400 block of North Dunn street.

Indiana released a statement Monday indicating it was still gathering facts about the situation, and Glass said Wednesday that he will defer to that statement.

“While you never want one of those incidents to happen, it was helpful that we had so quickly an opportunity to express the president’s perspective and my perspective on our expectations on that.”

Indiana has not announced any possible or pending discipline for either Holt or Bryant. For Holt, it’s the second time he’s been involved with an off-the-court issue in his first full year on campus. In November, he was cited for illegal consumption and operating a vehicle with a blood alcohol content above 0.02 when former teammate Devin Davis jumped in front of and was struck by a vehicle Holt was driving on 17th street outside Memorial Stadium. Officers determined that both players had been drinking and that Davis was at fault. Holt registered a BAC of 0.025.

Saturday marked the sixth off-the-court incident involving IU basketball players since Hanner Mosquera-Perea’s arrest on OWI charges in February 2014. Five of those incidents have included multiple players. Bryant is the seventh individual player to be included during that span.

It also comes two months after former IU safety Antonio Allen was dismissed from IU’s football team on multiple drug dealing charges. Allen was arrested at the Indiana football complex on June 16 by Indiana State Police and charged with dealing cocaine and dealing heroin of 10 or more grams — both Level 2 felonies, which carry a penalty of 10 to 30 years in prison if he’s convicted. Allen, who recently transferred to Indiana State, was also charged with dealing methamphetamine.

Prior to his arrest, Allen was captured on video counting money, weighing heroin and methamphetamine and handing the drugs to an Indiana State Police informant in an apartment across the street from Memorial Stadium, according to a probable cause affidavit.

Speaking publicly about Allen’s arrest for the first time, Glass echoed coach Kevin Wilson’s statement that it was an isolated incident that did not involve others on IU’s football team. Glass said he believed Allen was living alone in a single-bedroom apartment.

“We took a comprehensive review of where (the Allen situation) is across the whole team,” Glass said. “Without getting into details, I think we’re confident to state, as Kevin did, that that is an isolated incident with Antonio.”

Although Wilson’s team of over 100 players has remained relatively free of arrests and off-the-field transgressions entering his fifth season in Bloomington, Allen’s run-in marked the third arrest of an IU football player this year. In April, defensive lineman Ralph Green III was initially charged with misdemeanor battery, public intoxication and disorderly conduct. In July, he was sentenced to 50 hours of community service and one year of probation. The battery and public intoxication charges were dropped in favor of a guilty plea for the charge of disorderly conduct for unreasonable noise. A month later, receiver Isaac Griffith was arrested on OWI charges. That case is still pending.

It all built to a brief, but very direct and blunt address from the university president on Tuesday.

“I expect all of you to ensure that my message is heard loud and clear by all students,” McRobbie said. “I have stressed repeatedly that our student-athletes are first and foremost students. Our ultimate goal is to help them obtain a degree that will prepare them for career and life success. We owe this to them.”

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Dab For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    We know what Crean's ceiling is and it isn't a championship. He only made it to the Sweet Sixteen with two top five picks!

Two simple facts illustrate how weak Crean is:

1) He couldn't even make the Elite 8 with two of the top four picks. It's not as if Syracuse beat us on some wild buzzer beater. They completely dominated us from start to finish. I remember listening to Boeheim on Mike and Mike the next morning. They asked him if he was surprised at how unprepared we looked against their zone, and he said that he was. Even Syracuse was surprised at how poorly we adjusted. That's just bad coaching.

2) He has been a head coach for 16 seasons, but has never made an Elite 8 aside from the one year with Wade where they went to the Final Four. Wade only went on to become one of the best NBA players of his generation. Crean pretty much owes everything to Wade. I've never seen someone get so much mileage out of one tournament run. That was almost 13 years ago. Crean has been incredibly mediocre (at best) outside of that.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 08-27-2015 at 09:59 AM.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

.....Crean says it comes down to leadership among players on the team.

"Ultimately, I'm responsible, but our internal team leadership has been less than poor for the last two years and, on August 27, the bad news is there are some that are not going to be able to get that understood, that they have a role in this as far as being responsible for each other, responsible for their teammates, or it's August 27 and we're going to take some real strides. We're really at a high level of focus to try to take those strides," he said. "Our upper class leadership is not good. It’s got to get a lot better. I’m including the sophomores in that leadership group."....
    More: http://www.wthr.com/story/29898667/i...ip-is-not-good

------

-John Wooden

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Wow seamlessly passed the buck and blamed Yogi all in one stride.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mad-Mad-Mario For This Useful Post:

Cdash out of curiosity do you think this raises the bar for Crean to keep his job. Or do you still still say sweet sixteen saves his job. Not challenging you or anything just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    Cdash out of curiosity do you think this raises the bar for Crean to keep his job. Or do you still still say sweet sixteen saves his job. Not challenging you or anything just curious.
    I don't think it changes anything. Sweet 16 still saves his job, no question.

You won't have to worry about a Sweet 16 saving his job. Some knucklehead will get caught probably sometime in February, the team will close the regular season by losing five or six or something to that effect (with a home loss to Purdue), and Crean will be fired the Monday following a Round of 32 loss to a lower seed.

It's game week

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    It's game week
    Eh, who cares. It's IU football. Get ready for 3-5 wins, plenty of missed tackles, and at least five mind numbing stupid errors in each game.

We are the worst program in D1 history.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to hoosierguy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    Eh, who cares. It's IU football. Get ready for 3-5 wins, plenty of missed tackles, and at least five mind numbing stupid errors in each game.

We are the worst program in D1 history.
    I am calling 7-5

36. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LuckSwagger View Post
    You won't have to worry about a Sweet 16 saving his job. Some knucklehead will get caught probably sometime in February, the team will close the regular season by losing five or six or something to that effect (with a home loss to Purdue), and Crean will be fired the Monday following a Round of 32 loss to a lower seed.
    I mean I agree. It's only a matter of time. When someone like Holt is stupid enough to run over his own teammate and still go out drinking in cars, you have to wonder how someone like that even remembers to breathe.

That being said, Crean's comments on this were so typically Crean it made me want to puke. Took as little responsibility as possible then blamed it on someone else. Pretty much par for his course.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post: