Announcement

Collapse

The Rules of Pacers Digest

Hello everyone,

Whether your are a long standing forum member or whether you have just registered today, it's a good idea to read and review the rules below so that you have a very good idea of what to expect when you come to Pacers Digest.

A quick note to new members: Your posts will not immediately show up when you make them. An administrator has to approve at least your first post before the forum software will later upgrade your account to the status of a fully-registered member. This usually happens within a couple of hours or so after your post(s) is/are approved, so you may need to be a little patient at first.

Why do we do this? So that it's more difficult for spammers (be they human or robot) to post, and so users who are banned cannot immediately re-register and start dousing people with verbal flames.

Below are the rules of Pacers Digest. After you have read them, you will have a very good sense of where we are coming from, what we expect, what we don't want to see, and how we react to things.

Rule #1

Pacers Digest is intended to be a place to discuss basketball without having to deal with the kinds of behaviors or attitudes that distract people from sticking with the discussion of the topics at hand. These unwanted distractions can come in many forms, and admittedly it can sometimes be tricky to pin down each and every kind that can rear its ugly head, but we feel that the following examples and explanations cover at least a good portion of that ground and should at least give people a pretty good idea of the kinds of things we actively discourage:

"Anyone who __________ is a liar / a fool / an idiot / a blind homer / has their head buried in the sand / a blind hater / doesn't know basketball / doesn't watch the games"

"People with intelligence will agree with me when I say that __________"

"Only stupid people think / believe / do ___________"

"I can't wait to hear something from PosterX when he/she sees that **insert a given incident or current event that will have probably upset or disappointed PosterX here**"

"He/she is just delusional"

"This thread is stupid / worthless / embarrassing"

"I'm going to take a moment to point and / laugh at PosterX / GroupOfPeopleY who thought / believed *insert though/belief here*"

"Remember when PosterX said OldCommentY that no longer looks good? "

In general, if a comment goes from purely on topic to something 'ad hominem' (personal jabs, personal shots, attacks, flames, however you want to call it, towards a person, or a group of people, or a given city/state/country of people), those are most likely going to be found intolerable.

We also dissuade passive aggressive behavior. This can be various things, but common examples include statements that are basically meant to imply someone is either stupid or otherwise incapable of holding a rational conversation. This can include (but is not limited to) laughing at someone's conclusions rather than offering an honest rebuttal, asking people what game they were watching, or another common problem is Poster X will say "that player isn't that bad" and then Poster Y will say something akin to "LOL you think that player is good". We're not going to tolerate those kinds of comments out of respect for the community at large and for the sake of trying to just have an honest conversation.

Now, does the above cover absolutely every single kind of distraction that is unwanted? Probably not, but you should by now have a good idea of the general types of things we will be discouraging. The above examples are meant to give you a good feel for / idea of what we're looking for. If something new or different than the above happens to come along and results in the same problem (that being, any other attitude or behavior that ultimately distracts from actually just discussing the topic at hand, or that is otherwise disrespectful to other posters), we can and we will take action to curb this as well, so please don't take this to mean that if you managed to technically avoid saying something exactly like one of the above examples that you are then somehow off the hook.

That all having been said, our goal is to do so in a generally kind and respectful way, and that doesn't mean the moment we see something we don't like that somebody is going to be suspended or banned, either. It just means that at the very least we will probably say something about it, quite possibly snipping out the distracting parts of the post in question while leaving alone the parts that are actually just discussing the topics, and in the event of a repeating or excessive problem, then we will start issuing infractions to try to further discourage further repeat problems, and if it just never seems to improve, then finally suspensions or bans will come into play. We would prefer it never went that far, and most of the time for most of our posters, it won't ever have to.

A slip up every once and a while is pretty normal, but, again, when it becomes repetitive or excessive, something will be done. Something occasional is probably going to be let go (within reason), but when it starts to become habitual or otherwise a pattern, odds are very good that we will step in.

There's always a small minority that like to push people's buttons and/or test their own boundaries with regards to the administrators, and in the case of someone acting like that, please be aware that this is not a court of law, but a private website run by people who are simply trying to do the right thing as they see it. If we feel that you are a special case that needs to be dealt with in an exceptional way because your behavior isn't explicitly mirroring one of our above examples of what we generally discourage, we can and we will take atypical action to prevent this from continuing if you are not cooperative with us.

Also please be aware that you will not be given a pass simply by claiming that you were 'only joking,' because quite honestly, when someone really is just joking, for one thing most people tend to pick up on the joke, including the person or group that is the target of the joke, and for another thing, in the event where an honest joke gets taken seriously and it upsets or angers someone, the person who is truly 'only joking' will quite commonly go out of his / her way to apologize and will try to mend fences. People who are dishonest about their statements being 'jokes' do not do so, and in turn that becomes a clear sign of what is really going on. It's nothing new.

In any case, quite frankly, the overall quality and health of the entire forum's community is more important than any one troublesome user will ever be, regardless of exactly how a problem is exhibiting itself, and if it comes down to us having to make a choice between you versus the greater health and happiness of the entire community, the community of this forum will win every time.

Lastly, there are also some posters, who are generally great contributors and do not otherwise cause any problems, who sometimes feel it's their place to provoke or to otherwise 'mess with' that small minority of people described in the last paragraph, and while we possibly might understand why you might feel you WANT to do something like that, the truth is we can't actually tolerate that kind of behavior from you any more than we can tolerate the behavior from them. So if we feel that you are trying to provoke those other posters into doing or saying something that will get themselves into trouble, then we will start to view you as a problem as well, because of the same reason as before: The overall health of the forum comes first, and trying to stir the pot with someone like that doesn't help, it just makes it worse. Some will simply disagree with this philosophy, but if so, then so be it because ultimately we have to do what we think is best so long as it's up to us.

If you see a problem that we haven't addressed, the best and most appropriate course for a forum member to take here is to look over to the left of the post in question. See underneath that poster's name, avatar, and other info, down where there's a little triangle with an exclamation point (!) in it? Click that. That allows you to report the post to the admins so we can definitely notice it and give it a look to see what we feel we should do about it. Beyond that, obviously it's human nature sometimes to want to speak up to the poster in question who has bothered you, but we would ask that you try to refrain from doing so because quite often what happens is two or more posters all start going back and forth about the original offending post, and suddenly the entire thread is off topic or otherwise derailed. So while the urge to police it yourself is understandable, it's best to just report it to us and let us handle it. Thank you!

All of the above is going to be subject to a case by case basis, but generally and broadly speaking, this should give everyone a pretty good idea of how things will typically / most often be handled.

Rule #2

If the actions of an administrator inspire you to make a comment, criticism, or express a concern about it, there is a wrong place and a couple of right places to do so.

The wrong place is to do so in the original thread in which the administrator took action. For example, if a post gets an infraction, or a post gets deleted, or a comment within a larger post gets clipped out, in a thread discussing Paul George, the wrong thing to do is to distract from the discussion of Paul George by adding your off topic thoughts on what the administrator did.

The right places to do so are:

A) Start a thread about the specific incident you want to talk about on the Feedback board. This way you are able to express yourself in an area that doesn't throw another thread off topic, and this way others can add their two cents as well if they wish, and additionally if there's something that needs to be said by the administrators, that is where they will respond to it.

B) Send a private message to the administrators, and they can respond to you that way.

If this is done the wrong way, those comments will be deleted, and if it's a repeating problem then it may also receive an infraction as well.

Rule #3

If a poster is bothering you, and an administrator has not or will not deal with that poster to the extent that you would prefer, you have a powerful tool at your disposal, one that has recently been upgraded and is now better than ever: The ability to ignore a user.

When you ignore a user, you will unfortunately still see some hints of their existence (nothing we can do about that), however, it does the following key things:

A) Any post they make will be completely invisible as you scroll through a thread.

B) The new addition to this feature: If someone QUOTES a user you are ignoring, you do not have to read who it was, or what that poster said, unless you go out of your way to click on a link to find out who it is and what they said.

To utilize this feature, from any page on Pacers Digest, scroll to the top of the page, look to the top right where it says 'Settings' and click that. From the settings page, look to the left side of the page where it says 'My Settings', and look down from there until you see 'Edit Ignore List' and click that. From here, it will say 'Add a Member to Your List...' Beneath that, click in the text box to the right of 'User Name', type in or copy & paste the username of the poster you are ignoring, and once their name is in the box, look over to the far right and click the 'Okay' button. All done!

Rule #4

Regarding infractions, currently they carry a value of one point each, and that point will expire in 31 days. If at any point a poster is carrying three points at the same time, that poster will be suspended until the oldest of the three points expires.

Rule #5

When you share or paste content or articles from another website, you must include the URL/link back to where you found it, who wrote it, and what website it's from. Said content will be removed if this doesn't happen.

An example:

If I copy and paste an article from the Indianapolis Star website, I would post something like this:

http://www.linktothearticlegoeshere.com/article
Title of the Article
Author's Name
Indianapolis Star

Rule #6

We cannot tolerate illegal videos on Pacers Digest. This means do not share any links to them, do not mention any websites that host them or link to them, do not describe how to find them in any way, and do not ask about them. Posts doing anything of the sort will be removed, the offenders will be contacted privately, and if the problem becomes habitual, you will be suspended, and if it still persists, you will probably be banned.

The legal means of watching or listening to NBA games are NBA League Pass Broadband (for US, or for International; both cost money) and NBA Audio League Pass (which is free). Look for them on NBA.com.

Rule #7

Provocative statements in a signature, or as an avatar, or as the 'tagline' beneath a poster's username (where it says 'Member' or 'Administrator' by default, if it is not altered) are an unwanted distraction that will more than likely be removed on sight. There can be shades of gray to this, but in general this could be something political or religious that is likely going to provoke or upset people, or otherwise something that is mean-spirited at the expense of a poster, a group of people, or a population.

It may or may not go without saying, but this goes for threads and posts as well, particularly when it's not made on the off-topic board (Market Square).

We do make exceptions if we feel the content is both innocuous and unlikely to cause social problems on the forum (such as wishing someone a Merry Christmas or a Happy Easter), and we also also make exceptions if such topics come up with regards to a sports figure (such as the Lance Stephenson situation bringing up discussions of domestic abuse and the law, or when Jason Collins came out as gay and how that lead to some discussion about gay rights).

However, once the discussion seems to be more/mostly about the political issues instead of the sports figure or his specific situation, the thread is usually closed.

Rule #8

We prefer self-restraint and/or modesty when making jokes or off topic comments in a sports discussion thread. They can be fun, but sometimes they derail or distract from a topic, and we don't want to see that happen. If we feel it is a problem, we will either delete or move those posts from the thread.

Rule #9

Generally speaking, we try to be a "PG-13" rated board, and we don't want to see sexual content or similarly suggestive content. Vulgarity is a more muddled issue, though again we prefer things to lean more towards "PG-13" than "R". If we feel things have gone too far, we will step in.

Rule #10

We like small signatures, not big signatures. The bigger the signature, the more likely it is an annoying or distracting signature.

Rule #11

Do not advertise anything without talking about it with the administrators first. This includes advertising with your signature, with your avatar, through private messaging, and/or by making a thread or post.
See more
See less

GREAT CURRENT ANALYSIS OF TEAM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GREAT CURRENT ANALYSIS OF TEAM

Time to fire the coach!

I've noticed that blaming the coach is one of the main things fans do when they can't accept that the players aren't as amazing as they think they are.

NICE....!

I couldn't have said it better myself. I always get a chuckle outta the fans that want to FireTheCoach.... LOL.

Comment

do we really want to go back to isiah thomas coaching here? because it seemed to me that was always what he did - he'd go with whoever is playing well, resulting in very unpredictable substitution patterns. as a result, the players - the young players especially - try to do too much when they get floor time.
      Actually thats not entirely true. How many times would Austin come into the game score 10 points in 4 minutes and get yanked not to play again for months. Jeff was the same way he would play the greatest game of his career in the 1st half and not see the floor in the 2nd half.

There were a million times I screemed at the TV durring the Isiah reign of terror over him pulling a player who was hot. You seem to be confused because he would never pul Ron when he was getting hot. And by hot I mean about to blow his top.

My problem with what Rick is doing is he is giving way way to many minutes to the backups. I am not so mad about when he took Tins out in the 1st quarter. Its how long he waited into the 2nd to put him back in. There is a difference there can you see it? The starters need rest I know that and everyone knows that. AJ is only good for a couple of minutes a game not 20.

On the other side of the coin if Bender is in there and he has hit 4 shots in a row leave him in a couple of extra minutes. I am not asking that he play untill he drops but go ahead and see what he can do.

Comment

...second-tier team like the Hornets...
        1) Which Eastern Conference teams do you consider first-tier and second-tier?

2) How do you decide that teams are second-tier? The reason I ask is that the Hornets are 32-27 and you are comparing them to another "second-tier" team, the 76ers, who are 23-36.

3) Why the name MonkeyDude?

Comment

do we really want to go back to isiah thomas coaching here? because it seemed to me that was always what he did - he'd go with whoever is playing well, resulting in very unpredictable substitution patterns. as a result, the players - the young players especially - try to do too much when they get floor time.
          Actually thats not entirely true. How many times would Austin come into the game score 10 points in 4 minutes and get yanked not to play again for months. Jeff was the same way he would play the greatest game of his career in the 1st half and not see the floor in the 2nd half.

There were a million times I screemed at the TV durring the Isiah reign of terror over him pulling a player who was hot. You seem to be confused because he would never pul Ron when he was getting hot. And by hot I mean about to blow his top.

My problem with what Rick is doing is he is giving way way to many minutes to the backups. I am not so mad about when he took Tins out in the 1st quarter. Its how long he waited into the 2nd to put him back in. There is a difference there can you see it? The starters need rest I know that and everyone knows that. AJ is only good for a couple of minutes a game not 20.

On the other side of the coin if Bender is in there and he has hit 4 shots in a row leave him in a couple of extra minutes. I am not asking that he play untill he drops but go ahead and see what he can do.
          I could not agree more, the last two games were perfect examples.

The first 3 - 4 minutes of the game people get into the feel of the game, as usual our offense starts running around that time, we get a lead, 5 - 7 -15 points. Tins puts up 5 Ast, 2 Rb , 2 - 8 points and there is a "flow" then we hit the 8 - 9 minute mark, out comes Jeff, out comes Tins.

We will not see Tins back on average before the 5 min mark in the second Q.

Last thing I'm saying is FireTheCoach! BUT we ARE allowed to notice things that are in OUR view detrimental to the team, which is the substitution patterns.

The full bench on the floor is nice, but certainly without JB not a nice sight nor a winning one.

The FACT that other teams get away with double and triple teaming JO is because of those sub-patterns, there is simply no one on the floor to take over, no Tins to drive/shoot/pass no Reg to shoot, no Al to post, no Ron to hustle or create, Cro remains a streak player, JB showed promise and would have probably made a difference last night, but fact is we have not or only in a few minutes shown why we are one of the best teams in the league these past 4 - 5 games.

I think that to show pride in themselves, and to give it to us fans they should demolish a team like the sixers last night and I can even forgive them for losing twice to NO in one week, certainly after we've (the coach) more or less gave up after the 3d Q and "others" were played.

On a sidenote: i notice that Fred is more and more taking over the PG role when he and AJ are in at the same time, this however clashes with the time when he is on the floor with Tins, which was visible last night.

The change in the rotations due to Ron's absence are hard to overcome for some players, Al is one who has obvious problems with it, but he is not the only one, Jeff seems to struggle as well and so does JO on defense, he is obviously told to be careful not to get in to foul trouble because him out as well would be deadly for the team.

I do hope to see more of JB because I have the hope he will get into his own before the playoffs and be a part of importance then, just in case.

NO do not fire the coach, but do have him look at himself and the substitutions he is making, if we can see the "flow" stopping then he surely must be seeing it
          So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
          Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Comment

I certainly dont want the coach fired. I cant imagine this team with an Isiah at the reigns.

I am simply concerned about the amount of time given to the backup point guard. There have been to many games to count where we had a lead when Tins sat only to have to lead not only gone but we are behind before Tins comes back in.

To his credit the majority of the time he is able to change the flow of the game and give us the lead in time for AJ to come back in and give it away again. (I know AJ has not given it away in every single game but more than not he has). The Hornets game was a good example. Had AJ only played say the last two of the first and one or two of the second we might have been able to avoind the colapse.

But instead he was left in there so long that the Hornets pus a run on us and put us down by 11. Rick does not allow the team to run in order to catch that back up. Tins started to and got benched for the lob to Oneal and never saw the floor again. I just really believe that Rick does not trust Tins and would much rather have Kenny or AJ in there. That scares me because Tins is clearly without a doubt the best pg on this team.

Comment

I registered here so I could defend what I wrote. Thanks bulletproof for posting it here.

On Al Harrington:

First of all, he's 24, not 23. It may not seem like a big difference, but there's no reason to misrepresent a player's age to make him seem like he has more room for improvement than he does. The assumption that a player will keep getting better every year until he's 27 is an assumption that many 15-year-olds have made over the years, but eventually they realize it doesn't work that way. I have argued several times on other boards that players reach their potential at the age of 24, that the only exceptions are hard-nosed guys with an incredible work ethic. That does not describe Al, so I think he's in his prime now.

Besides, my reason for saying Al isn't starter material isn't that he's peaked, my reason for saying that is that he's a tweener. The problem with tweeners is that they really struggle with defensive assignments because they are too slow to guard small forwards or shooting guards and they are not bulky enough to guard power forwards. In the playoffs last year, Paul Pierce exploded when Al tried to guard him, and did pretty much nothing when Ron guarded him. When Al starts it will be too easy for the other team to create mismatches.

Given that Al has some great offensive skills, I think the fact that he's a tweener makes the role of first scorer off the bench the perfect role for him. He's not a well-rounded player, so when there are other scorers like JO in the game who dominate the ball, Al doesn't really do much for us. As bulletproof said, I wasn't putting Al down, I was just saying that the loss of Ron means we are not in a good position to utilize Al's talents. That's why he's been struggling, and he will continue to struggle until Ron gets back, I think.

On Jonathan Bender:

His game still has serious holes, anyone can see that. I think it's great that we have a guy on our roster with as much talent as he does, but when we are a championship contender it's stupid to worry about developing talent. We need to play the consistent performers who we know can step up, not the guys who sometimes look great and sometimes look awful because they're too young to be consistent. If we were an average team, I'd feel differently.

Remember that Jonathan Bender played the fourth quarter of Game 1 against the Celtics last year, and his atrocious performance probably cost us that game, which proved pivotal in the series. Do you want to repeat that? I don't.

On Ron Artest:

When I talk about putting a team on his back and willing it to victory, I'm talking about his attitude, not how many points he scores. Ron Artest cares about winning more than he cares about being alive. Guys feed off that kind of heart. There is a tiny handful of guys with that kind of heart, I'm talking about Artest, Allen Iverson, Ben Wallace, Kevin Garnett, Tim Duncan, Mike Bibby, and Kobe Bryant. They aren't all the best players in the league, but they're the guys you win championships with.

And Shaq? Please. That guy is an oaf who gets fat in the offseason and doesn't take care of his body. He has no heart at all. What a waste of talent.

Thanks for the comments everyone!
              First off let me say I am glad to have you and hope that you do post more often. While I disagree on some points you took a stand and that's always more interesting. I in no way see you as a fair whether fan

About Al. I don't know if the is much we see eye to eye on. I misquoted his age only because I did not know his birthday was two weeks ago. Not trying to twist the facts there.

There is truth that at 24 a player ceases to be a young player and looked at as untapped potential but that doesn't mean they are in thier primes. Largely because players get better at the intangibles and smarter. The older a player gets the better he gets at winning and knowing what it takes. So yes I believe without a doubt that Al's best basketball is yet to come.

I believe that Al has a great work ethic and have never heard that questioned. In fact I believe his time in Florida in the off season is one of the harder programs out there.

Al is a very good defender and in the past has shown himself as a great defender. Al can guard 90% of the forwards in the association. So I don't think that Al's tweener size comes in to play. If not being as good of a defender as Ron or having Pierce explode on you makes a player a bad defender I don't how many good defenders there are out there.

You are the only person I have heard say that Al is not of starter material. Most of the "experts" and posters I believe think that Al would be starting on other teams. In fact a leading reason people want Al traded is because they don't think it is good for team chemistry to have a young player of starter ability to continue coming off the bench.

I also believe that Al is a versitle player in fact to his detriment as he struggles to find a role on the team. He can do a lot of things well. In fact I believe he could be a defensive stopper, a serviceable point forward, be a post threat, spot up shooter any number of things if he were called to do it and his role was clearly defined. This season he has been asked to score up until now as a first option with the second unit. His role has changed in the since Ron's injury let's give him more than 4 games to adjust.

On Bender and Shaq I am going to be quicker because I don't like defending either one because one hasn't done anything and the other is a Laker.

Bender turns 24 next year. By your own theory if we don't give him minutes to see what he can do and develope him when do we do it?
              We have to put Jon out there just to see what he can do its been long enough. Secondly if inconsistant play is your standard of earning no mins. I'm not sure if we could field a five man team on the Pacers.

While Shaq is on the decline, has a questionable work ethic and the only good thing about him is he isn't Kobe I have to give him his due. Shaq has won three championships so far being the center of everything the do on both ends of the court if that isn't carrying the team I don't know what is. With out him LA wouldn't have won anything. (And the Pacers would have a championship banner.)
              "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Comment

I certainly dont want the coach fired. I cant imagine this team with an Isiah at the reigns.

I am simply concerned about the amount of time given to the backup point guard. There have been to many games to count where we had a lead when Tins sat only to have to lead not only gone but we are behind before Tins comes back in.

To his credit the majority of the time he is able to change the flow of the game and give us the lead in time for AJ to come back in and give it away again. (I know AJ has not given it away in every single game but more than not he has). The Hornets game was a good example. Had AJ only played say the last two of the first and one or two of the second we might have been able to avoind the colapse.

But instead he was left in there so long that the Hornets pus a run on us and put us down by 11. Rick does not allow the team to run in order to catch that back up. Tins started to and got benched for the lob to Oneal and never saw the floor again. I just really believe that Rick does not trust Tins and would much rather have Kenny or AJ in there. That scares me because Tins is clearly without a doubt the best pg on this team.
                Scary much agreement here, also look at yesterday, plus minus says "something" when looking at "one" position, Tins +12 AJ -5

As for the lob to JO, again full agreement, where it was even noted that JO "missed" that and was not a "bad pass". Would've put us 3 behind now iot became 7, Tins was pulled and they went to +15 in the next 2 minutes.

Tins, despite what some might think here, is one of the "better" players on the team, he has in a lot of games now, scored crucial points to end runs or change the flow, his passing is very good and if Reg hit a few more of his shots the last couple of games he would easily be collecting double doubles over those same games.

Leaving the stat lines aside, which most only like when they speak in their favour, otherwise they are "just stat lines" it is still obvious that the starters play better with Tins on the floor, there is better spacing, there is better positional play, I fail to understand why KA does not get some minutes behind Tins, but if AJ has to get them then at least limit them to a length that is no more then what backups normally get, not half games.
                So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
                Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Comment

THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!!!!!

Comment

Jon Bender (last 5 games, not including DNP vs Philly)

16.75 min
                    10.5 pts
                    1.5 rebounds
                    1 assist
                    1. 5 blocks
                    .5 steals
                    1.5 turnovers

Not bad for a guy who hasn't played all year.

31.2 pts per game from our bench in the past 5 games (without Al of course). Not spectacular but definitely not bad.

4-1 since Ron's been out.

Our next 10 games:

@ Golden State
                    @ L.A. Clippers
                    @ Utah
                    @ Denver
                    Toronto
                    @ Boston
                    @ Cleveland
                    Portland
                    Sacramento
                    @ Memphis

I think we'll be OK folks. Everybody take a deep breath, calm down and let's watch some basketball.

Pacers aren't looking too spectacular right now, but we're not playing nearly as bad as some of you are claiming. Look at some of the teams we're playing down the stretch... One of our best players is out until the playoffs and we're still winning most of our games. We're 1/2 game from having the best record in the NBA.

Sheesh, look at how this team was (not) playing this time LAST year. Sorry, but even though I might be a little concerned, I'm definitely not flipping out. There are a LOT of positives to see in this team right now and I'm looking forward to seeing this team respond to a little adversity.

So go ahead and sign me up for the SUNSHINE BRIGADE!!!!
                    ed:

Comment

If you think I am coming across as being down on the club I am not.

I am merely concerned with one issue. The reason that I am concerned with it is that when Rick was the assistant durring the Bird year we did the exact same thing with Travis Worst. He played way way too much I took it that Jax was just too ald to play that many minutes but now I am beginning to wonder.

The thing that really irks me is that Tins is a better defender now than AJ and yet he still isnt getting the pt that he should. Brewer is a way way better defender than AJ but he wont play at all. So I was wondering why is it that a defensive minded coach would not play his best defender at the pg spot?

I figured it out, Rick would rather we use the entire shot clock and not score than score at the begining of the clock. Thats why AJ gets so much playing time he does not get the team into scoring position at all let alone early in the clock! Same with Worst dribble dribble dribble late pass clang.

It isnt the D if it were the two pg rotation would be Tins and Brewer. But neither of them have any intrest in waiting on the end of the shot clock.

Comment

There's a lot of great stuff in here. I don't know how I missed this thread earlier...

This is what I don't get. Many people complain when we don't develop the young/bench guys. Well, the best way to do that is to build a big lead and stick them in there. I like that Rick is going deep into the bench. It helps develop the players and gives them alot of experience whether they lose the lead or not. Bottom line is we get the win AND give the bench some development. Best of both worlds if you ask me.

Now if the same type of thing (leaving the bench in too long) in the playoffs, then that may be a different matter. But for now, I think its a good thing.
                        I like it more earlier in the season. Now is the time of year we should be shortening the rotations to get ready for the playoffs.

Even handed? Insightful? How about idiotic? Jump off fair weather bandwagonners. We don't need you or WANT you. BYE now!
                        I disagree. I thought the original post was excellent although I might argue a few of the points.

I registered here so I could defend what I wrote. Thanks bulletproof for posting it here.

On Al Harrington:

-snip-
                        Besides, my reason for saying Al isn't starter material isn't that he's peaked, my reason for saying that is that he's a tweener. The problem with tweeners is that they really struggle with defensive assignments because they are too slow to guard small forwards or shooting guards and they are not bulky enough to guard power forwards. In the playoffs last year, Paul Pierce exploded when Al tried to guard him, and did pretty much nothing when Ron guarded him. When Al starts it will be too easy for the other team to create mismatches.

Given that Al has some great offensive skills, I think the fact that he's a tweener makes the role of first scorer off the bench the perfect role for him. He's not a well-rounded player, so when there are other scorers like JO in the game who dominate the ball, Al doesn't really do much for us. As bulletproof said, I wasn't putting Al down, I was just saying that the loss of Ron means we are not in a good position to utilize Al's talents. That's why he's been struggling, and he will continue to struggle until Ron gets back, I think.

-snip-

I've noticed that blaming the coach is one of the main things fans do when they can't accept that the players aren't as amazing as they think they are. Blaming the officials is another one.

And last but least,

On fair-weather fans

Dude, PacerMan, I'm not a fair-weather fan, you're just a fan who likes to pretend that there's fair weather when there isn't. I expect a lot from my team, and when I don't see it, I worry about it. I think I just care more about the Pacers than you do, because evidently when they get blown out of the gym twice by a second-tier team like the Hornets you think there's no problem. Maybe when your team loses in the playoffs, you can only be upset for 3 minutes and then get over it because you're sure they'll come back and win the championship next year. Sorry if it means a little more to me than that.

Thanks for the comments everyone!
                        Please post more often.

Actually, I liked some of the additional analysis even better. I really, really liked the part I bolded. Yes, I was on suicide watch a couple of weeks ago, but that's because the Pacers are my first love (my wife is fine with status, by the way). I've always resented the "bandwagon jumper" comments that sometimes come out if I'm down on a player, "my" team, etc. If I was a f@c#ing bandwagon jumper, I'd just give up. But I've made waaayy too much of an emotional investment in this team over the past twenty-five years or so to 'quit' on my team. Instead, Hell hath no fury like a Pacers' fan scorned. I'll never get my 1999 or 2000 championships, and I really want one NOW!

Also, I agree with your point on Al as a "tweener". I was thinking about this today - he could start for a lot of teams, but so can Elton Brand. I wouldn't want to be pinning my hopes for a deep playoff run from a team where either one of those guys is the starting PF, however.

-snip-
                        I figured it out, Rick would rather we use the entire shot clock and not score than score at the begining of the clock. Thats why AJ gets so much playing time he does not get the team into scoring position at all let alone early in the clock! Same with Worst dribble dribble dribble late pass clang.

Couldn't have said it better myself... Except you left out Travis Bust's superior ability to get the rim just to get his shot blocked > 75% of the time.
                        Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
                        Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
                        Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
                        Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
                        And life itself, rushing over me
                        Life itself, the wind in black elms,
                        Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Comment

Great post Monkeydude. Pretty objective, although a little harder than need be, but that's what makes us fan(atical)s.

JO isn't being asked to do too much, but he has seemed to have gotten lazy and is settling for jumpers. I don't see JO working to get post position like he was earlier in the year, maybe his knee is bothering him more than he lets on.

I totally disagree with your bench statement. Since Ron has gone down the bench has outscored the opponents bench 156 to 106 and has out rebounded them 67 to 52. The bench has put up 34% of the teams points in this stretch. That is very good production.

Jonathon Bender has been very effective since his return - 10.5 points in 17 minutes - I'll take it. Also this would qualify, imho, for being an 'effective scorer off the bench.'

I agree with your defensive assesments. I've said all year that this team needs Pollard for the playoffs - his post defense is good, maybe even pretty good, when he's guarding big players. I thought he was effective against Dampier last week and I felt Rick should've used him more against NO.

I agree with the heart issue as well, but I don't think this team is playing out of control as much as it's learning to work without Ron.

On that issue, it looks like Ron may be back this week :Ron's Return - although I don't think there is a need to rush him back and risk re-injuring his hand.

Even though it's not popular around here, I don't think the 'sky is falling.' I was very pleased to see teams we struggled with beat the teams that are so much better than us (namely Minnesota and Detroit). The Sixers beat the Wolves and Utah handled Detroit. Of course NO lost to the Wizards, but for some reason NO gets up for the Pacers more than the Pacers get up for them.
                          "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Of course NO lost to the Wizards, but for some reason NO gets up for the Pacers more than the Pacers get up for them.
                            Its hard to get "up" for a team who you hammered. Yes they beat us the first game after the break but we had hammered them the time before that. They have beat us twice now but in both of those games we were without Artest (I know he played in the first one we lost but he was clearly not close to healthy as he had surgery the next day)

So to be really scared of them we would need to loose to them at full strength. Also I think we lost the second one on coaching. Players have bad nights there is no reason to think that coaches are always on. Rick had a bad night his substitutions were terrible and he had clearly given up way early with who he had in the game. Then when thigs started to turn he started puting other players back in and it was to late.

Comment

They also played the first two without Mashburn. And hammered us the last two times without Wesley. Don't just take Pacer injuries into account. I still like the Pacers in a 7 game series with them, but they scare me more than the Nets or Pistons simply because of the match-up problems they present for us.

Good point but I like our chances. I am more worried about New Jersey simply because they were in the finals the last two years.

And I know this belongs in another thread but to the people who think we will go 1-3 or 0-4 on this trip.

Do you realize that we have not lost three of four games since Tins regained the starting job? And that we have not lost more than 2 in a row all season?

Comment

JO isn't being asked to do too much, but he has seemed to have gotten lazy and is settling for jumpers. I don't see JO working to get post position like he was earlier in the year, maybe his knee is bothering him more than he lets on.

I totally disagree with your bench statement. Since Ron has gone down the bench has outscored the opponents bench 156 to 106 and has out rebounded them 67 to 52. The bench has put up 34% of the teams points in this stretch. That is very good production.

Jonathon Bender has been very effective since his return - 10.5 points in 17 minutes - I'll take it. Also this would qualify, imho, for being an 'effective scorer off the bench.'

I agree with the heart issue as well, but I don't think this team is playing out of control as much as it's learning to work without Ron.

On that issue, it looks like Ron may be back this week :Ron's Return - although I don't think there is a need to rush him back and risk re-injuring his hand.

Even though it's not popular around here, I don't think the 'sky is falling.' I was very pleased to see teams we struggled with beat the teams that are so much better than us (namely Minnesota and Detroit). The Sixers beat the Wolves and Utah handled Detroit. Of course NO lost to the Wizards, but for some reason NO gets up for the Pacers more than the Pacers get up for them.
                                Agreed on the JO statement.

I'm sorry but if JO is MVP material and the best big man in the East...then he needs to carry this team...on occasion...now being one of them when Ron is out....

As monkeydude and others pointed out... Ron is key in matching up better with NO,,,but Jermaine in my opinion needs to play bigger physically against them... not fade to the perimeter on offense.... not get dunked on by a point guard... and shouldn't be trying to take charges in the lane... like it or not he is our interior presence and needs to play like one of the best shot blockers and Power forwards in the league... NO went waltzing into the lane without fear against us last time out....

Agreed on shortening the rotation I'd like to see Jamal stay in longer in the 1st period, and come back sooner in the second... it would benefit the second unit to run with Jamal a little bit... especially JB and FJ... but other than the NO game our bench has been playing well.

JB and FJ have been our most consistant bench players since the break...i look for them to continue that... Reggie needs less time, to rest up for the playoffs...he looks leg weary lately

Pollard man... maybe he should just always stay on the defensive end of the court, while we play 4 on 5 on the offensive end... how you can have a wide open tip in and almost shatter the back-board is beyond me....get him out of the weight room or something.

It isn't panic time at all... ... NO got spanked by Washington last night..... Detroit lost to Utah last night...and looked bad doing it... not that any of this justifies anything... Your just seeing teams making adjustments to changes in personnel or dealing with injuries and getting prepared for the playoffs.

Comment

Working...
                                X