Thread: Quite a compliment by Mark and Slick today.

Default Quite a compliment by Mark and Slick today.

They said they feel this coaching staff is the best Pacers staff they've seen, even while acknowledging Larry Brown and Larry Bird.

Default Re: Quite a compliment by Mark and Slick today.

They said they feel this coaching staff is the best Pacers staff they've seen, even while acknowledging Larry Brown and Larry Bird.
    High praise from Mark and Slick.

I think maybe it is too early to say, but to this point in the first season, I would agree with Mark and Slick.

The team always comes out of timeouts with a good play.

Just look at the Pacers in the second halves

They do so many little things to get the job done. From out of bounds plays to little defensive adjustments.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I know that Carlisle receives the bulk of the credit but coach Mike Brown is, IMO, the best assistant coach in the league. Stealing away from the Spurs was the best thing we could've done this summer. Even if Isiah had remained, Coach Brown would've made a difference.

Ron Rothstein also deserves props. However, everywhere he's been he's transformed teams defenses. Detroit, Miami, Cleveland, NY, and now Indy. The man has an impressive resume'.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Southside_Pacer

I do like the fact that Rick is not afraid to use his timeouts. If he sees something that needs to be corrected, he'll do it.

The staff also is very organized, and they obviously keep making the right adjustments after halftime.

Hopefully they'll be in Los Angeles making us proud. They deserve it.

Rick gives his assistants a lot of responsibility and I think that is good. Players get sick and tired of the voice again and again.

This coaching staff is cocky and I think that rubs off on the players. Whether you liked Bird or not, whether you thought he was a good coach or not, but he instilled a lot of confidence in his teams and Rick has said on more than a few occassions that he leanre dthat from Bird and he tries to do the same thing.

Rick was the one who got Mike Brown here. Ron Rothstein was Isiah's pick earlier in the summer. Some people are getting that backwards.

7-Layer Burrito

It's probably a little early to annoint this staff as the best Pacer's staff ever. After all, we've only played half a season under the new regime. If this is a sign of things to come though . . .

I don't think they were ranking them by output. They sit on the sidelines night in and night out and are right in the middle of the Pacers, and it sounded they were saying it just from watching the coaching staff work, seeing what they do and what they get the players to do, and how they do their jobs on and off the court.

pacerchic

Rick Carlisle's hiring:

Mike Brown's hiring with title of 'associate head coach':

hmmm.....according to Larry Bird's 'a coach should only stay for 3 years' rule, perhaps we'll have another coach brown?

I guess I'm the only one who gets annoyed with timeout after timeout called. I just hate all these commercials all in a row.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I guess I'm the only one who gets annoyed with timeout after timeout called. I just hate all these commercials all in a row.
    I'm quite content with the timeouts being called. In the past we sat thru times when it ws obvious that a TO was needed and with none forthcoming we got steamrollered. I'll take a few more Don MArsh appearances if it means stopping the other team's momentum.

[size=9:bfffe0cdda]I noted the obvious ommission from the list of great coaching staffs they mentioned. [/size]
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

I have said this before, I care a lot less about when or if a coach calls a timeout, I am much more concerned about what happens after the timeout and from what have seen the pacers respond very well after timeouts.

Most of the great coaches are masters at calling timeouts to stop the other teams run. Hubie Brown did a terrific job of it the other day against the 76ers;Pat Riley was great at it as well and the Pacers games I've seen Carlisle has used his timeouts wisely and like UB mentioned they almost always execute a nice play out of the timeout. Its one of those important nuances of coaching; unfortunately its something were lacking in Philly this season with Ayers. We had a 20-0 run against us today and blew a 19 pt. lead that should never happen. :

Most of the great coaches are masters at calling timeouts to stop the other teams run. Hubie Brown did a terrific job of it the other day against the 76ers;Pat Riley was great at it as well and the Pacers games I've seen Carlisle has used his timeouts wisely and like UB mentioned they almost always execute a nice play out of the timeout. Its one of those important nuances of coaching; unfortunately its something were lacking in Philly this season with Ayers. We had a 20-0 run against us today and blew a 19 pt. lead that should never happen. :
    Do you think Randy Ayers will be replaced after the season. There are better coaches out there. Having Iverson on the team might eliminate some possible candidates

Yeh I think hes gone UB; there has been alot of bickering lately from the players things like looking at him in timeouts like he doesn't know what hes doing. Even guys like Snow seem to be doubting the coaches system its almost like the players are starting to run the show. In fairness to Ayers the 76ers have way too many players who play the same position and who are one dimensional players. And the team hasn't been healthy all season, today was the 1st time in 27 games they had 12 players in uniform. Robinson has been averaging 25 pts. per game the last 2 weeks or so but all other aspects of his game are horrible. He even has Iverson playing the point alot this season which is a huge mistake, Brown NEVER played AI at the point its not his game. The result is AI averaging 5 turnovers per game and right now the chemistry is a mess.

They definitely need to upgrade the coach after this season but it won't be easy with AI and Big Dog as you won't see to many high profile coaches wanting to take over those headaches.

I will not call this the best coaching of this team I have seen. Larry Brown had a lot less talent to work with but devised the perfect system for them to work in & it was such a good system that it lasted past his tenure with our team.

I'll wait till we get past the first round of the playoffs before I even begin to think about where this staff ranks compared to others.

BTW, I know he is being politically correct by not naming himself but there sure is one hell of an argument to be made that Slick was the best coach that this franchise has ever seen.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

BTW, I know he is being politically correct by not naming himself but there sure is one hell of an argument to be made that Slick was the best coach that this franchise has ever seen.
    That is the understatement of the day Peck.

[B]And Dipperdunk...if you guys have designs on Mike Brown...forgidaboutdit...he's ours and he'll be RC's replacement... someday.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Brown also signed a 4 year contract. I want him here to the end!

That is the understatement of the day Peck.
    Come on. We should go ahead and hang Carlisle's 32 right next to Slick's 529.....
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This is just year #1 of Carlisle's three-year reign, so to compare him to Slick as the Pacers best all-time coach is a wild exaggeration.

On the other hand, this may turn out to be the best individual season coaching job the Pacers have ever seen.

Rick, Mike Brown and Rothstein have made many many many right decisions.

Correct me if I'm wrong... We're just past mid-season and as a team we have accumulated exactly 0 flagrant fouls. That - by itself - is impressive enough.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you