Thread: Reggies new FT streak

ImReppinBtown

Default Reggies new FT streak

His new streak is up to 60. I wonder how many more he will hit in a row? 100+ in a row would be absolutely amazing.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Reggies new FT streak

Quote Originally Posted by ImReppinBtown
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    His new streak is up to 60. I wonder how many more he will hit in a row? 100+ in a row would be absolutely amazing.
    I highly doubt he'll get enough trips to the line for the rest of the season to get to 100+.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by travmil
    I highly doubt he'll get enough trips to the line for the rest of the season to get to 100+.

Well, with 8 games left, he only has to hit an average of 5 a game. That'll be a reach but if the last 17 games have been an indicator, it's feasible.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Yeah 100 in a row would be amazing seeing as how that number has not even been approached in the history of the NBA . . . even by some pretty damn good free throw shooters.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Quote Originally Posted by ABADays
    Yeah 100 in a row would be amazing seeing as how that number has not even been approached in the history of the NBA . . . even by some pretty damn good free throw shooters.

....the NBA record is 97.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

teY dennaB toN

What if he doesn't miss a free throw the rest of his career? Maybe that's how we can convince Reg to stay one more year. . .

Of course, I'm sure I just jinxed that idea all to hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    ....the NBA record is 97.
    That record is not the single season record tho... That was a combination of two seasons. I think the season record is 88 (or so).

Michael Williams owns both versions...

I just wanted to see Reggie get two more FT's last night

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

3ptmiller

Dont forget guys that Reggie did break his record just before this streak he has today, he did hit 62 in a row, then he missed one, after that he has hit 60 in a row... so with other words, he is 122 of 123... 99.2% accuracy

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace
    Well, with 8 games left, he only has to hit an average of 5 a game. That'll be a reach but if the last 17 games have been an indicator, it's feasible.
    Don't forget the playoffs.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I would assume that playoff games count for free throws?

If that is the case, we are looking at a minimum of 12 more games. More than likely, at least 16 more games. With 12 games, he can average about 3.5 attempts per game, with 16, then he can average about 2.5 per game.

If not, then he'll have to average 5 attempts per game over the last eight games.

Any way you cut it, it's still within reach. He's just go to keep being aggressive and driving the ball. And of course, filling the net from the line.

3ptmiller

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles
    Don't forget the playoffs.
    Does the playoffs count? If so, then he will most likely hit over 100 in a row *holding thumbs*

Playoffs don't count in the record book

Eluding Calvin's curse - Flashback: Micheal Williams' Streak

THE EMPHASIS IN THE TERM "free throw" should be on the word "free." When you step up to the line, there are no hands in your face, no double-teams, no jumpers heaved while falling out of bounds. Nothing separates a player from one point but 15 feet of air.

So it's pretty ironic that the average NBA player couldn't make a foul shot if his sneaker contract depended on it. Players have tried everything in pursuit of making basketball's easiest shot: Shooting underhand or overhand, lining up on the left or right side of the foul line, bouncing the ball incessantly--even talking to the ball. Shaquille O'Neal, the stiff, disjointed Frankenstein monster of free-throw shooters, the man who puts "foul" in the term "foul shot," has gotten hundreds of letters suggesting he try yoga or acupuncture or transcendental meditation to solve his charity-stripe woes.

For 12 years, the NBA record for most consecutive free throws was held by Houston Rockets mighty mite Calvin Murphy, who became the guardian of the record, often gleefully cackling whenever a player got close but fell short

In April 1993, Cleveland Cavaliers guard Mark Price came one free throw short of tying Murphy's mark of 78 in a row. After the miss, someone asked Murphy if Price choked. "I don't want to use that word," Murphy said, "but the shot speaks for itself. I can't believe it missed that badly."

Murphy's sigh of relief was short-lived. Out of nowhere came Micheal Williams, a guard for the Minnesota Timberwolves. Everyone had been so focused on Price's streak that they didn't really notice that Williams was right behind Price.

Williams went about his pursuit of Murphy's record the same way he went about his job every day: quietly, methodically, and with little fanfare. Williams was a student of the free throw. The fifth-year player out of Baylor shot hundreds of them in practice, making up little mind games to challenge himself. If he missed one shot, he would have to convert the next 10 to make up for it. He studied golfers and their mechanics and tried to apply them to free-throw shooting. Williams even studied the NBA's arenas, saying that Denver's McNichols Arena had the worst backdrop and that his home Target Center was a little chilly for his tastes.

Williams' free-throw streak started on March 24, 1993, but on that day more people were talking about Michael Jordan than Micheal Williams after a lopsided Chicago Bulls victory.

Night after night, little by little, the streak got longer and longer. April 8 turned out to be a big night: Not only did Williams drop 30 points on the Indiana Pacers--who had traded him in the previous season--but he went 16-of-16 from the line to push the streak to 50.

There were times when the streak was in jeopardy. Once Williams was enlisted to shoot a technical foul--in Denver of all places. T-Wolves teammate Doug West volunteered to take the shot, knowing that Williams sometimes struggled with his shooting at McNichols, but Williams waved him off, saying he wasn't going to duck the shot just because the arena had yellow seats. Williams shot the technical, and made it.

In another game, at home against the Portland Trail Blazers, a Williams foul shot rattled around the rim before getting a friendly roll in. Another shot hit the front of the rim and bounced high; teammate Christian Laettner pulled away from the prospective rebound at the last second, and the ball splashed through.

By now Williams' streak was in the 60s, but you'd hardly know it. Even when Williams pulled to within four free throws of tying Murphy, the feat was overshadowed by the opposing Dallas Mavericks, who won their 10th game and thus avoided tying the NBA record for fewest wins in one season. Williams' 31 points, nine rebounds, six assists, and 11-of-11 shooting from the line were just footnotes.

Murphy, who had been hoping against hope that Willies would miss, surely would have flown in for the Timberwolves' next game against the Utah Jazz, to sit courtside and wiggle his fingers at Williams as if to deliver a curse and keep his record alive. But the Rockets broadcaster had a game to call the night before and couldn't be there on April 25, 1993--10 years ago this month--when Williams broke his record.

In the final game of the 1992-93 season, Williams went 10-of-10 from the foul line to give him 84 free throws in a row. His streak wouldn't end until the next season, when on November 9 one of his shots bounced around and out

Williams' 97 consecutive free throws is still the all-time record. And judging by the way most of today's players shoot, it's safe for a long time.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...30/ai_98829038

---

Are consecutive FT's really an NBA official 'record' per se'? It doesn't seem right not to include the playoffs for such a streak. (Particularly when you consider the official streak is over two seasons).

84 is the single season record (as documented above).

-Bball

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

ReggieMiller8325

Reggies has a great chance to break it and i think he can.

Talk about an outrageously long signature...

Yeah, I'd cut that down dude. It's a bit annoying.

My bad on the free throws. For some reason I thought the record was 78. Actually the 97 over two seasons is very impressive. Just because of the break in between.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

ImReppinBtown

He missed last night didnt he?

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by ImReppinBtown
    He missed last night didnt he?
    From www.pacers.com

"Reggie Miller missed his first free-throw attempt of the game, with 3:25 left in the half, thus falling one shy of tying his franchise record of 61 in a row (set last month)."

sweabs

Quote Originally Posted by travmil
    "Reggie Miller missed his first free-throw attempt of the game, with 3:25 left in the half, thus falling one shy of tying his franchise record of 61 in a row (set last month)."

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

I was sitting there watching it and I just knew he was gonna miss. Sorry Reg....but I knew it.
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer
    I was sitting there watching it and I just knew he was gonna miss. Sorry Reg....but I knew it.
    It's not that you 'knew' it... it is that you sent out bad 'vibes'... Those vibes created large waves and ripples in the atmosophere of Conseco and that is what caused Reggie to miss....

-Bball

------

-John Wooden