Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: At what point in time does it....

Default Re: At what point in time does it....

Quote Originally Posted by A-Train
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Too bad we didn't move Dale to the center position back in 2000 and allowed Antonio to be the starting PF. Smits, with his sore feet, could have come off the bench and everyone would have been happy. No one (AD that year) would have forced a trade, Bender never would have become a Pacer, and Croshere most likely wouldn't have had his breakout Finals performance and gotten his huge contract.

All because Rik Smits just HAD to start.

I find it interesting that the idea of Dale playing center was argued against so vehemently back in 2000, but it seemed to be the obvious choice when he came back this year. What changed?

The league has changed drastically. very few centers, yes that is obvious. but also very few brusing powerforwards like there used to be

Not to rain on anyones parade cause I really like the way the guys have been playing lately too, but.....................

Look at who they've beated lately.

The Cavs lastnight should be no biggie. The have lost all desire & focus. They were minus Z as well.

New York the night before. The Knicks simply are not a good team, especially up front, & we are.

Washington before that. We win by 3 but the Wiz missed 10 free throws.

Miami: We win in OT but the Heat miss 12 FT's in that game too.

If the Wiz or Heat hit even a fraction of those shots we loose.

Before that there was a win over a sad Bucks team & a loose to the Bulls.

The last win I can be really happy about was over the Pistons on March 25th.

But again, I think we've earned the right to gloat over winning a couple over some weak sisters right now.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It wasn't just Ewing, but he - at one time - had either Oakley or Buck Williams playing alongside him. Is anybody that big-and-physical upfront today
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    It wasn't just Ewing, but he - at one time - had either Oakley or Buck Williams playing alongside him.
    So?

Dale would have had Antonio beside him, and Antonio, if you remember, spent much of his time playing against centers. I'm still not sure why they couldn't have gone with Dale and AD.

Oh well, that's just something that's always bothered me about that team... the unwillingness to go with the Davises and bring Rik off the bench. If nothing else, to appease AD's desire to start. Plus, at that point and time Rik's feet were day to day. Everyone knew he didn't have many years left in him. And yet, we let AD go, drafted Bender, and Rik was gone within a couple of years. I just never got that. Of all Donnie's moves, that one still irks me.

Excuse me for getting off track here...

So?

Dale would have had Antonio beside him, and Antonio, if you remember, spent much of his time playing against centers. I'm still not sure why they couldn't have gone with Dale and AD.

Oh well, that's just something that's always bothered me about that team... the unwillingness to go with the Davises and bring Rik off the bench. If nothing else, to appease AD's desire to start. Plus, at that point and time Rik's feet were day to day. Everyone knew he didn't have many years left in him. And yet, we let AD go, drafted Bender, and Rik was gone within a couple of years. I just never got that. Of all Donnie's moves, that one still irks me.

Excuse me for getting off track here...
    Having suffered from plantar fasciitis at one time in my life, I can understand why Rik needed to start/ get all his minutes while he was warmed up. What I never understood was why the didn't have him walking on a treadmill behind the bench or in the runway for a few minutes before he'd check back into a game after resting.

I, for one, never really considered moving DD to center until Rik was set to retire, and by then AD was already gone.

Oh, and forgive me for following your tangent.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Slaughter
    Not to rain on anyones parade cause I really like the way the guys have been playing lately too, but.....................

Lets do that objectively.

The Cavs lastnight should be no biggie. The have lost all desire & focus. They were minus Z as well.
    They are missing ONE guy. We are missing three. No one gets to use that excuse against us unless we are playing the heat without Shaq AND Wade!!

New York the night before. The Knicks simply are not a good team, especially up front, & we are.
    Remember just a few weeks ago we could not beat these teams including the Knicks. You must take care of the little ones too.

Do you believe they will suddenly become a good free throw team?

Again do you think Shaq is going to start shooting like Reggie? If they would have taken more they would have missed more. That is the biggest weakness they have.

Again saying that had the Heat hit all their free throws they win is absurd they never will and neither will the Wiz. In 90% of the games in the nba the loser lost by less points than they missed at the line. That does not take away from the win. Putting the Heat on the line is part of any decent strategy because they are going to miss them.

But again, I think we've earned the right to gloat over winning a couple over some weak sisters right now.
    We beat the Spurs, Pistons, Heat we dont control the schedule. The Bulls had been playing their best ball right at that time and we just came off an emotional win over Detroit the NIGHT BEFORE and there was a bomb scare!! It was our 4th game in 5 nights and the night before the game got over around midnight. We woke up in the 4th quarter and would have won that game easily if it were under normal circumstances.

Name ONE lucky break! I dare ya!!!

Oh, and my one word response to Peck's questions: No.
    EASY: Golden State trades DD to New Orleans who buys out his contract and DD finds his way home.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar
    -snip-
    The Bulls had been playing their best ball right at that time and we just came off an emotional win over Detroit the NIGHT BEFORE and there was a bomb scare!! It was our 4th game in 5 nights and the night before the game got over around midnight. We woke up in the 4th quarter and would have won that game easily if it were under normal circumstances.
    Nevermind. Nothing to see here.

As a Pacer fan I always dream of winning the championship but I right now I couldn't say those things to non-Pacer fans with out feeling silly.

The truth is we, as is, have as much of a chance of coming out the East as Seattle has of coming out the West.

Another reason rik started was because he could score without him we would have become an outside-in team. Back in those days it was inconcieveable that a team without an inside scoring threat or Jordan could win the championship.

Sports Logo

Jay I cant see any picture.

Seeing Dale's impact, its intereting that the Pacer brass was so content to not make any moves and basically sat around inert or inept as Dale came giftwrapped to us basically for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    Having suffered from plantar fasciitis at one time in my life... What I never understood was why the didn't have him walking on a treadmill behind the bench or in the runway for a few minutes before he'd check back into a game after resting.
    I've been there and done that, too. I always had great respect and admiration for Smits' ability to play on a couple of very, very sore feet.

As for the bit about the treadmill, Smit's did use a vibration pad from time to time on the bench. It's something I used for my foot, and that, combined with the orthotic that applied constant pressure to the middle of my arch, helped immensely.

I'm starting to believe in this team's chances, but I'm very gunshy about it; my head is sounding a red-alert saying "Don't get wrapped up in fantasy or you'll be sorry". I'm just going to stay where I've been the past month or more: Wait and see.

No, don't sit back. Go on ahead and jump on the roller coaster. It's a lot more fun.

Of course, constant roller coaster rides have been known top cause ulcers.

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by beast23
    No, don't sit back. Go on ahead and jump on the roller coaster. It's a lot more fun.

Or death.

Quote Originally Posted by beast23

AND make you - errrrrr me - crabby.

- The Nexium Guy

I'm surrounded by haters & non-believers.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

No, I'm pretty sure I'm the only hater/ non-believer left.

teY dennaB toN

Count me in on this most recent roller coaster ride.

Of course, sometimes coasters result in the greatest thrill of your life

But have also been known to frequently result in

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat
    Why shouldn't they be excited? There's something for each of them: Dale is playing and JB isn't........
    Not only that but is there anyone left on the Bender bandwagon who is not afraid to show their face? Not only is Bender a non-factor but nobody is even bothering themselves with wondering (aloud) if he can be back this season or anything else. Just seeing the fans move on is nice.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

I still wonder why we didn't try to get Dale earlier. Why did we wait till he fell to us. it makes you wonder what other moves that could have been made over the years that would have helped.

Prior to Dale being released he had a high salary that made getting him hard to do.

I would love to jump on the bandwagon and UB's idea of Stern getting booed at a trophy presentation makes me so happy I feel all funny down there, but...

I think teams are going to pick up the intensity for the postseason, while I don't see us having another gear to switch to. I love the play lately, but I don't see that it can improve much from here. I don't think the team will continue to play like they are when JO comes back, just due to old habits.

That said, if JO comes back healthy, I think we could win a series. Strong post presence is much more important in the playoffs than jumpshooting. I don't however, see it happening.

Please, let me be wrong.
    "If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you." - Jack Handy

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Slaughter

Hmmmmmm.......

I seem to remember somebody telling me last year at the gathering that Shaq was not going to make that much of a differance? I just can't seem to remember who that person was.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Sports Logo

You know the conspiracy theorist in me cant believe the NBA would ever allow us to make the finals this year. You all know we would all be booing David Stern and he knows it too. That would be a pr nightmare.